HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Opinions on the Flyer's 'problem'?

Old
09-26-2011, 06:56 PM
Snipsnap12

vCash: 500
Rinaldo looks good to me this game, he is very agitating, and destroyed a guy twice his size in a fight.

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 09:56 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Sestito may have just worked himself out of that job. Incredibly stupid for a guy fighting for a roster spot. I don't mind Rinaldo getting time, but I don't think he'll be the regular on the 4th.

Talbot-Betts-Nodl for me.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:08 PM
Snipsnap12

Lavy really likes rinaldo, and he hasnt been playing stupid... I will continue to support him for a spot on this roster

Old
09-26-2011, 10:13 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 View Post
Lavy really likes rinaldo, and he hasnt been playing stupid... I will continue to support him for a spot on this roster
Really likes Rinaldo? Rinaldo had a total of 9 shifts and that is with the Sestito ejection and the Schenn injury. He probably wouldn't have seen more than 3 or 4 minutes of ice time if they had a full lineup.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:17 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Really likes Rinaldo? Rinaldo had a total of 9 shifts and that is with the Sestito ejection and the Schenn injury. He probably wouldn't have seen more than 3 or 4 minutes of ice time if they had a full lineup.
To his credit the game was a special teams punch fest, which rinaldo is obviously not gonna be on the ice for. Laviolette has stated he likes his game, and he continues to give him the oppurtunity.

Old
09-26-2011, 10:22 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 View Post
To his credit the game was a special teams punch fest, which rinaldo is obviously not gonna be on the ice for. Laviolette has stated he likes his game, and he continues to give him the oppurtunity.
who would you start him over at this point? Nodl? Betts? Both can offer special teams play, Betts can offer leadership too. That tilts in their favor.

Things tilting in Rinaldo's favor are his cheaper contract and his offensive ability (so it would seem)

Old
09-26-2011, 10:24 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

@D_LEED Dustin Leed
Quote:
People who think @ZacRinaldo has a chance at a roster spot just b/c of Shelley and Sestitio situations are flat out wrong and Lavy backs that

Old
09-26-2011, 10:27 PM
Haute Couturier

I think Sestito still has the edge because he is not waivers exempt. Homer didn't give up Chaput just to lose Sestito that quickly.

Old
09-27-2011, 04:31 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Depends how you mean it. Using the 4th line for ten minutes might not be the best, but if you include the pk as well, then ten minutes for Betts isn't that bad of an idea. In fact, he played 10.27 per game last season. 3.37 of that was on the pk though.

I hope we won't use two forwards as much on the pk as much as we used Betts and Powe last year though. I thought they tired, especially Betts. This could be done, either by not taking so many stupid penalties (Brière, Hartnell, please stop sending silly notes between yourselves and pay attention now), or by using more players on the pk if we face as many as we've done the past couple of years.
I know it sounds mental, but I can really see the flyers using Couturier on the fourth line, playing the same amount of minutes that betts did last year. Using the PK to bump up his minutes. I think thats why he is playing with people like Rinaldo. I would rather him see 10 minutes in the NHL than 20+ in juniors.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 05:20 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
It is startling to me the 180 public sentiment has taken regarding Betts. He hasn't lost that much. He's got to be one of the very best players in the NHL making what he does (<~700k) that isn't on an ELC.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 05:45 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I wasn't advocating removing betts by the way

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 09:12 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPrinceOfBriere View Post
Betts is exactly what you want on your third line?????? A guy who's never once scored double digit goals and never amassed more than 18 points in a season? He's the definition of a 4th line player, a broken down one at that.
Calm down tiger. An obvious typo if you read the post.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 09:47 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
I know it sounds mental, but I can really see the flyers using Couturier on the fourth line, playing the same amount of minutes that betts did last year. Using the PK to bump up his minutes. I think thats why he is playing with people like Rinaldo. I would rather him see 10 minutes in the NHL than 20+ in juniors.
I don't know. I don't think Couturier would be terrible if he stayed up by any means, but at the same time another year in juniors won't really hurt him either. The main problem though is the salary cap. If Couturier is on the 4th line, that would mean that Schenn is on the third I would assume, and then we are really in a tight spot if we get any injuries. If we could somehow fit in a fourth line of Couturier-Betts-Talbot, I wouldn't mind seeing that though, but I'm not so sure that is possible cap-wise.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 10:12 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
I think that is possible since Holmgren talked about how young players that are good defensively have a better chance to make the roster. At the same time, if he isn't going in to be in the top 9 maybe it's best to wait until next year to get his ELC started.

Old
09-27-2011, 04:00 PM
Midnight Oil

It's not a problem. Survival of the fittest, the players who impress the coach and upper management the most will get their ice time. The rest go back to Major Junior or to the Phantoms.

Last edited by Midnight Oil: 09-27-2011 at 04:34 PM.
Midnight Oil is offline   Reply With Quote