HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Some good flashes yet same end result. We lose

Old
09-26-2011, 09:50 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

vCash: 500
Gallagher awesome once again, thought Diaz looked very solid and is looking better each game. Tinordi and Blunden also had good games IMO.

YMCMBeaulieu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 09:58 PM
Skyblaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
I would say he is a stronger and more skilled Gionta, he has an edge to his game like a Marchand and St. Louis, bigger than Ennis and I think he could be a top 6 player.
I'm thinking more of Ryan Callahan when I watch him go.

Skyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 09:59 PM
NewEraGM

Berger, Tinordi, Lefebvre and Trotter have just been cut...

NewEraGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
Who would be a good NHL comparable to Gallagher?

Tyler Ennis?

Marchand?
To me, when I look at Gallagher play...he reminds me of...and bear with me, I hate doing player comparisons, and I want to preface this by saying I don't anticipat he'll put up the same type of numbers...

But he reminds me of Theo Fleury...both small feisty guys, who play with no fear and actually use their height and size to their advantage.

But again, i'm just comparing playing styles..not saying he's the next Theo Fleury

417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:03 PM
gusfring

Quote:
I would say he is a stronger and more skilled Gionta, he has an edge to his game like a Marchand and St. Louis, bigger than Ennis and I think he could be a top 6 player.
Settle down...

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:07 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
I would say he (Gallagher) is a stronger and more skilled Gionta......
Over-react much?

What if I replied that I would say that Bournival is a stronger and more skilled Carbonneau?

More skilled?? Gionta scored 48 goals in the NHL one year, and perennially scores 20-25. Gionta is one of the league's fastest skaters and surprisingly good defensively too. He has played for Team USA and now captains an NHL team.

Gallagher has proven what yet?

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:08 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Settle down...
Why?

He has the hands of a Gionta and battles hard with a little more size and stockiness to him, I think he could be a better play maker than Gio to as he is more of a shooter.

Gionta has him in speed no questions, even the Habs staff has said he is a Gionta type...tell them to settle down too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Over-react much?

What if I replied that I would say that Bournival is a stronger and more skilled Carbonneau?

More skilled?? Gionta scored 48 goals in the NHL one year, and perennially scores 20-25. Gionta is one of the league's fastest skaters and surprisingly good defensively too. He has played for Team USA and now captains an NHL team.

Gallagher has proven what yet?
Did I say he would score 40 plus this season?

No I gave what I think he can be, and it doesn't mean this season. Its funny, we can't be up on a player who is showing he is a player, and this is coming from the Montreal staff too, not just these boards.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:18 PM
Crimson Skorpion

Awards:
Just tucked in my my son to bed after we both got back from the game. Here's some notes.

Gallagher: Once again, by far the most noticeable guy out there (both prospects and veterans). Every shift he took, he played with his all and showed signs of puck dominance. I love his ability to protect the puck by turning his back to the player and using his upper body strength to fight off bigger opponents. He's also very crafty with the puck. Only thing I notice that needs working on is finishing up a play. The one play where he took a pass from Cammalleri and hit the post, he took a second too long and hesitated to shoot.

Diaz: His best game with the club. I like how he pinched on the play in the offensive zone and didn't lose coverage and he was also very good along the boards in the defensive zone. He still needs to work on his passing, at times he sent a wild pass that was easily intercepted.

Tinordi: So glad he had a good outing. Brilliant in corners in the defensive zone, covered his man and cleared out the front of the net. I think Martin gave him a little wink to rush the puck up more, as we saw him do so and make good plays with dump-ins and crisp passes.

DeSimone: Played well and made a smart play to rush the puck from the outside to the inside, setting up the first and only goal of the night. Unfortunate for him that he took the penalty that led to the Bruins first goal, because other then that he played quite solid.

Bournival: Too many turnovers. Rushed the puck well but it became predictable too quickly. He often tried being a little too cute with his short passes and his drop passes.

St-Denis: Made a nice hip-check but other than that, completely unnoticeable.

A couple of notes throughout the game;

During the pre-game skate, Blunden was skating back and forth at the red-line and eyeing both Thornton and Campbell. They quickly noticed and the three exchanged a few stares.

On his way back to the bench after hitting the post, Gallagher extended out his arms wondering what it was going to take. Cammalleri and Plecky both grouped around him to calm him down.

After the game, Gionta confronted both refs and linesmen. I'm not sure what, but my guess would be why the refs stalled to blow the whistle, with around 20 seconds left in the game when the puck was obviously trapped and no way of getting out.

All in all, I enjoyed the game despite the loss. Very entertaining. Most importantly, my son had a lot of fun.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:26 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

So what does a healthy habs roster look like?

Cammalleri-Plekanec-Cole
Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta
Desharnais-Eller-Kostitsyn
Moen-White-Blunden/Darche
Darche/Blunden

Markov-Yemelin
Gorges-Subban
Gill-Campoli

Price
Budaj

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:31 PM
SpezNc

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post

Cammalleri-Plekanec-Cole
Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta
Darche/Blunden

Markov-Yemelin
Gorges-Subban
Gill-Campoli

Price
Budaj
For a complete lineup, it's EXACTLY WHAT I Think.

Eller and White might miss the first game

Palushaj, Willsie might start in Montreal. Maybe Eneqvist even if he is a dissapointement so far.

Long shot to G. Dumont and a very long shot to B. Gallagher

Other possibilities???

SpezNc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:37 PM
Bieber fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post

Cammalleri-Plekanec-Cole
Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta
Darche/Blunden

Markov-Yemelin
Gorges-Subban
Gill-Campoli

Price
Budaj
Where is spacek ?

Bieber fever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:43 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieber fever View Post
Where is spacek ?
pressbox. Who else would you have there with everyone healthy and nobody traded?

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:43 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Please no Willsie. Ship his ass to Hamilton.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:49 PM
durojean

I liked Bournival and Gallagher is a fun player to watch.

The complete line up I'd like to see

Cam Plek Cole
Gio Go Pac
Des Ell Kost
Gallagher Dumont Darche

Subban Gill
Gorges Campoli
Markov Yemelin

I think in his first 10 games Markov is going to be used has a 3rd pairing D and on the power play so it makes sense to put him with Yemelin

durojean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:59 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
Please no Willsie. Ship his ass to Hamilton.
Agreed, I'm tired to see him playing, no shot, average skating, not creative enough to my liking...

QuebecPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 11:50 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Just tucked in my my son to bed after we both got back from the game. Here's some notes.

Gallagher: Once again, by far the most noticeable guy out there (both prospects and veterans). Every shift he took, he played with his all and showed signs of puck dominance. I love his ability to protect the puck by turning his back to the player and using his upper body strength to fight off bigger opponents. He's also very crafty with the puck. Only thing I notice that needs working on is finishing up a play. The one play where he took a pass from Cammalleri and hit the post, he took a second too long and hesitated to shoot.
Yup, sounds like a very accurate assessment. Other than experience, two factors Gallagher seems to be lacking so far is finish and a little bit of luck. It's understandable that he's yet to score, considering the wide gap in talent between junior and NHL-caliber goaltenders. And considering he's a player who's used to scoring countless goals for his respective WHL club, I can definitely imagine how frustrating it must be.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 11:51 PM
CuteHockeyBunny

Am I the only purist who wants a line of Moen - Eller - Kostitsyn?

Everyone puts Desharnais with those 2 but man, those 3 had had insane chemistry. Also, no harm in Desharnais - Eller - Cole because AK - TP - MC (ATM line) has proven time and time again that they can and will dominate in the offensive zone.

CuteHockeyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 11:55 PM
HomaridII

Was at the game ..

1) Really like Dumont for 4th line, 13th forward type. He is full of energy, always finishes his checks, is solid enough defensively. Non-Stop Motor.

2) Price had a really really solid game.

3) Gallagher will be good, but needs 1 pro season before joining NHL IMO, a little rough here and there, but very fast, shifty, good puck handling, etc..

4) I thought Diaz and Tinordi had a good game. Still wish Tinordi was more physical given his body type.

5) Thought Blunden had a solid game again, he is very involved in the play, just like Dumont.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 11:55 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I think Montreal is keeping Willsie up to send him down when it's the big waiver day so people pass on him.

He's not NHL material stuck on a deep team, but he'll make your ahl team good. Hamilton needs him.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 12:00 AM
Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
To me, when I look at Gallagher play...he reminds me of...and bear with me, I hate doing player comparisons, and I want to preface this by saying I don't anticipat he'll put up the same type of numbers...

But he reminds me of Theo Fleury...both small feisty guys, who play with no fear and actually use their height and size to their advantage.

But again, i'm just comparing playing styles..not saying he's the next Theo Fleury
I was thinking the exact same thing during the game. Just look at how he skates, he's half bent when he accelerates. So very true that he looks like Fleury. I wonder if he has the same hands tho.

Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 12:03 AM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
I think Montreal is keeping Willsie up to send him down when it's the big waiver day so people pass on him.

He's not NHL material stuck on a deep team, but he'll make your ahl team good. Hamilton needs him.
I hope so. I don't like to pick on a player but he's no good. I did the same with Hal Gill during his first season and I remember you defending him. You were right.

But Willsie has no skill whatsoever. I don't want to see him play for the CH ever again.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 12:05 AM
HABsurde

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_habs_go View Post
With a healthy lineup, I'd like to see this

Cole - Plekanec - Cammalleri
Gionta - Gomez - Pacioretty
Kostitsyn - Eller - Gallagher
Darche - Desharnais - Dumont/Moen/White

Subban - Gorges
Markov - Yemelin
Gill - Campoli - Spacek
If anyone believes that Desharnais will be the center of the 4th line, big mistake, and If the Habs have to decided between Desharnais or Gallagher, it's pretty obvious that they will go with Desharnais...

But if Desharnais or Eller cannot start the season, it's a definite open door for Brendan

but if both are there, i can't see Gallagher to play on the fourth line...

HABsurde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 01:03 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post

Fleury had speed to burn, lets not get crazy here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by durojean View Post
Cam Plek Cole
Gio Go Pac
Des Ell Kost
Gallagher Dumont Darche
Gallagher has nothing to do on the fourth line, its either second line role playing with offensive players or WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteHockeyBunny View Post
Am I the only purist who wants a line of Moen - Eller - Kostitsyn?

Everyone puts Desharnais with those 2 but man, those 3 had had insane chemistry. Also, no harm in Desharnais - Eller - Cole because AK - TP - MC (ATM line) has proven time and time again that they can and will dominate in the offensive zone.
Ive nothing against Moen on the fourth line, but we have now the depth to put him where he belong..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 01:19 AM
Teufelsdreck

If each of the "teams" the Habs put on the ice in the preseason played in the NHL, they would be competing with each other for a lottery position. However, I didn't mind because they competed hard in a losing cause and I enjoyed seeing some of the young players. Like just about every other poster I see great promise in Gallagher, Dumont, and Tinordi. I have little doubt that they will play in the NHL some day. There may be others but my crystal ball isn't as clear about them.

On the basis of what he displayed in the 7-3 loss to the Bruins I think Budaj is so much inferior to Price that PG should dump him. He's easily the worst signing so far.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 01:25 AM
NewHabsEra*

Gallagher looked tired tonight, its alot of hockey in few days so its understandable.. But he had some bad moments in this game, such as his work in the def zone.. He had less jump than usual, tried low % plays at time.. Wasnt bad but it was not his best game..

Bournival is a cant miss prospect.

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote