HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Is it safe to eliminate Sestito and Schenn from...

Old
09-27-2011, 03:58 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

vCash: 500
Wait what? Schenn has been awesome. What games have you been watching. Schenn has been a rock on the PK, he's absolutly dominated the face-off circle, and all around been great. Schenn and Read also seem to be developing Chemistry.

Sestito is down though because of his awesome check tonight. What a freaking dumbass.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 06:53 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I think Schenn has been pretty solid. The thing is that with a guy like Schenn, he has the higher ceiling than these other players (not including Couturier). Schenn didn't really have to come in and WOW everyone like Harry Z, Read, and some of these other players. I think Read and Schenn both make it. Schenn hasn't dominated but he has played well. As long as this injury isn't too serious, I think we'll see Schenn on the third line with Simmonds and Read. Something like this:

JVR-G-Jagr
Hartnell-Briere-Voracek
Read-Schenn-Simmonds
Talbot-Betts-Nodl
Shelley (or other enforcer type)

I could see them doing what someone else said and sending Schenn down for the first nine games to allow Couturier to play. Guess we'll find out pretty soon.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 07:01 AM
BringBackStevens

Highly doubt they will send schenn down

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 07:13 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
JVR-G-Jagr
Hartnell-Briere-Voracek
Read-Schenn-Simmonds
Talbot-Betts-Nodl
Shelley (or other enforcer type)
That looks right. Not entirely stoked about that third line being our third line, but what are you going to do?

I like that fourth line as well. No reason for Shelley to play more than 10-15 games.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 07:26 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
That looks right. Not entirely stoked about that third line being our third line, but what are you going to do?

I like that fourth line as well. No reason for Shelley to play more than 10-15 games.
Those lines would be my guess as well. I think you will see the 13th forward more than 15 games though, if only due to injuries and illness and such. Plus, if it is an enforcer, we are the Philadelphia Flyers after all and we are big and bad and stupid. It is what it is.

Having two rookies on the third line isn't ideal, that is true, but hopefully Schenn and Read can continue their impressive defensive play from the pre-season into the regular season. And keep it up for an entire season as well.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 08:29 AM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
Schenn has nothing left to prove in the AHL.

I see no real bonus to keeping Couturier up this year. He will get no significant playing time. It would be one thing if we were the Oilers, but this is a deep team. Sucks that he has to go back to the Q instead of the AHL, but so be it.

IMO id rather have Sestito than Shelley.
What exactly has Schenn proven in the AHL? He's only played a handful of games.

Agree on Couturier. I'd rather see him go back to the Q, dominate, continue to improve his strength, play in the WJC and then play in the show next year.

Agree completely on Sestito vs Shelley. However, Sestito is going to have a long holiday after his stupidity last night, so that may result in spending most of the year in the AHL.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 11:13 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Schenn has proven that he can play above AHL standards with the short end of season gig and the play-offs. He really wouldn't benefit from playing in the AHL this season.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 11:21 AM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Schenn has proven that he can play above AHL standards with the short end of season gig and the play-offs. He really wouldn't benefit from playing in the AHL this season.
I am really optimistic about Schenn, and I think he's going to be a good NHL'er.

Having said that, 12 games in the AHL where he had 4 goals and 11 points isn't what I'd consider "above AHL standards". It'll depend on his role with the big club. If he's going to get 12 minutes a night playing with scrubs, then he's better off in the AHL playing meaningful minutes. If he's playing 18+ minutes per night in all situations, then he needs to stay in the NHL. Neither situation is wrong, just different.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 11:29 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
I am pretty sure Sestito has to clear waivers. I doubt anyone will pick that retard up tho.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 11:34 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
False.

That doesn't mean that he should be in the AHL, but there is no way Schenn wouldn't benefit from a year in the AHL. Frankly, we pretty much need him to be in the NHL this year, because the alternatives get ugly fast, though.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 11:36 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I am pretty sure Sestito has to clear waivers. I doubt anyone will pick that retard up tho.
He does. One of the "advantages" he has going for him and making the team. It's hard for me to judge him on the preseason without having really seen him before. It's been blatantly obvious in the stuff I've seen from him that he's trying extremely hard to make the team... and that fact may be driving him to play outside where his normal throttle would be.

Old
09-27-2011, 11:42 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
He does. One of the "advantages" he has going for him and making the team. It's hard for me to judge him on the preseason without having really seen him before. It's been blatantly obvious in the stuff I've seen from him that he's trying extremely hard to make the team... and that fact may be driving him to play outside where his normal throttle would be.
he still should know better then to try and put guys into the 3rd row. i know hes probably trying to go out there and be physical and make an impression. There is a fine line between physical and stupid. Sestito went well over the stupid line last night. If he gets sent down or waived hes got no one to blame but himself. This was his chance to showcase himself after what Shelley did and he blew it.
with both players likely suspended the choice is clear who they are going to take.

Old
09-27-2011, 11:50 AM
Jester

Quote:
he still should know better then to try and put guys into the 3rd row. i know hes probably trying to go out there and be physical and make an impression. There is a fine line between physical and stupid. Sestito went well over the stupid line last night. If he gets sent down or waived hes got no one to blame but himself. This was his chance to showcase himself after what Shelley did and he blew it.
with both players likely suspended the choice is clear who they are going to take.
I only watched in spurts last night. The Toronto game he played in he was running around like nuts trying to be physical (1st period in particular). That hit last night was so obviously stupid that I have to assume he isn't that dumb given his presence in organized hockey to this point... but who knows.

Old
09-27-2011, 12:04 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Sestito on waivers per Bob McKenzie via twitter

TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie
Tom Sestito (PHI) amongst those on waivers today. No one from yesterday's list was claimed. Full list on tsn.ca shortly.
1 minute ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Old
09-27-2011, 12:07 PM
Jester

Quote:
Sestito on waivers per Bob McKenzie via twitter

TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie
Tom Sestito (PHI) amongst those on waivers today. No one from yesterday's list was claimed. Full list on tsn.ca shortly.
1 minute ago Favorite Retweet Reply
Interesting... not that they'd ever say it, but I'm curious if Sestito played himself off the roster with stupid plays...

Old
09-27-2011, 12:10 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
So...with Shelley suspended, does this mean Rinaldo will get some time in the beginning of the season? God forbid the Flyers don't have their thug on the bench.

09-27-2011, 12:24 PM
Flyers1974

JvR-Giroux-Jagr
Hartnell-Briere-Voracek
Read-Schenn-Simmonds
Rinaldo-Couterier-Talbot
Nodl-Sestito

Did anybody besides me notice that the Rangers did not score in the 3rd?
Couturier really picked it up in the 3rd period when Schenn went out.
Read and Rinaldo are locks for opening day since both Sestito and Shelley are
both going to be gone for probably for the first 5 games. Then Holmgren will
evaluate this team. I personally think Betts is gone. Too slow. Also has
anyone see the energy this team had last night compared to ANY game last
season? Even when it was tied, I said to myself the Flyers are going to win. I could
not say that about last year's team at anytime. But I really like the bottom 6 of the line-up with their high energy and their speed. I wish Harry Z could somehow make this
time. Personally I like Harry Z over Talbot or Nodl. As they always say, speed kills.........

Flyers1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 12:33 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Betts should play wing on the 4th line. He's damned good on the PK, and the last thing this team needs to do is let any more of its PKers go.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 12:51 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

So when Sestito's impending suspension comes to be, does he serve it in the AHL as well? Or only when he gets called back up to the NHL? Could this suspension essentially sit until the Flyers call him up, and he misses his x amount of games in February?

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 01:12 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Interesting... not that they'd ever say it, but I'm curious if Sestito played himself off the roster with stupid plays...
Holmgren claims he was planning on sending him down prior to last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
So when Sestito's impending suspension comes to be, does he serve it in the AHL as well? Or only when he gets called back up to the NHL? Could this suspension essentially sit until the Flyers call him up, and he misses his x amount of games in February?
If I recall correctly, the AHL acknowledged part of Downie's suspension, but I don't think it counted towards the 20 he received from the NHL. I remember the Flyers recalling him during games when the Phantoms weren't playing so he could serve his NHL suspension then. So I think Sestito's suspension might sit until the Flyers recall him, but the AHL might make him sit, too.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 01:21 PM
DUHockey9

Anyone know if Sestito needs to clear re-entry to come back up?

He has a 2-way deal making under 105k in the AHL, so that stipulation typically implies you do NOT need to clear re-entry. However, he MAY qualify as he has played quite a few AHL games.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 01:28 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Anyone know if Sestito needs to clear re-entry to come back up?

He has a 2-way deal making under 105k in the AHL, so that stipulation typically implies you do NOT need to clear re-entry. However, he MAY qualify as he has played quite a few AHL games.
Braod Street Hockey are saying he does not have to clear to come up.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 01:31 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Braod Street Hockey are saying he does not have to clear to come up.
That was my thought as well.

Carchidi on Twitter, answered someone's question saying YES he did. Naturally, I assumed he was wrong. I looked it up and he was, but wasn't 100% sure about the GP aspect.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 03:58 PM
CavemanLawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Upper body injury, supposedly not serious, but may be held out of the next preseason game as a precaution
Oh ok, not too bad. Thanks!

CavemanLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 04:36 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

In all the games and practices that I've seen Schenn in, the kid really has not impressed me in the slightest. For being arguably the best prospect in the NHL at this point, I was expecting more from him. I know he is only 19 (or 20, don't really know) but he really looked like a capable player in his short stint with the Kings. Not so much in Philly.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote