HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Moneypuck revolution

Old
09-25-2011, 02:02 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Nice find...they had a similar piece on NPR...love how people are taking moneyball at face value and applying it to the Flyers situation...
Yep, it's amazing. We have the money, the history, and the appeal to players leaguewise. We just need a CBA/salary consultant(s) to stop digging a deeper grave.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 10:37 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by flountown View Post
I read it as they were looking for players to replace the lost OBP. The value came in when they chose players who were not 'prototypical' or desirable because of age/injury/athleticism who had poor traditional stats but fulfilled the OBP requirement.
Moneyball is more focused on drafting prospects that year. The As larger philosophy and the reason they liked OBP so much was because they determined that their limited resources could go much further if they went after players that were being undervalued by other teams.

But that changes over time, teams have adjusted and you have to find new areas where you can find "value".

This is why a year ago the Red Sox went all in on defense.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 12:18 PM
captainpaxil

the problem being that, basball cards which list statistics are a huge part of baeball and a very mino part of hockey at least in the us. this also might be why baseball is only slightly more exciting then taking an accounting class and why i think hockey is still fun to watch

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 12:26 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
the problem being that, basball cards which list statistics are a huge part of baeball and a very mino part of hockey at least in the us. this also might be why baseball is only slightly more exciting then taking an accounting class and why i think hockey is still fun to watch
Despite all the attention to stats in baseball... actual analytical attention by teams is a relatively new phenomenon.

Old
09-26-2011, 01:22 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Despite all the attention to stats in baseball... actual analytical attention by teams is a relatively new phenomenon.
Not exactly. Branch Rickey was using innovative analytics to help win world titles over 60 years ago.

http://captnsblog.wordpress.com/2011...-Sabremetrics/

http://www.thegoodphight.com/2011/3/...snt-new-at-all

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 01:48 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Yep, it's amazing. We have the money, the history, and the appeal to players leaguewise. We just need a CBA/salary consultant(s) to stop digging a deeper grave.
Appeal is subjective, especially since agents and players know what a liar Homer is. The cap has been in place for years and if you think we're being screwed over by it and the CBA instead of the guy who doesn't understand how it works, that's a joke.

People used to laugh at Fred Shero for his pioneering ways and Roger Neilson for his use of video. They laughed at teams using assistant coaches up in the boxes but now everyone uses those techniques. Anything progressive should at least be looked at, not dismissed without reason.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 02:25 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Appeal is subjective, especially since agents and players know what a liar Homer is. The cap has been in place for years and if you think we're being screwed over by it and the CBA instead of the guy who doesn't understand how it works, that's a joke.
Yes, he's such a liar and all the players hate him. That's why players continue to sign here. But if you keep telling yourself that trading Richards and Carter destroyed the franchise, maybe it'll happen someday

I never said anything about being screwed by the cap. I said we need a CBA/cap consultant to keep ourselves out of future trouble. Maybe you didn't see that after you blacked out, you tend to do so after someone says something positive about Holmgren.

Old
09-27-2011, 09:18 AM
Jester

Quote:
Yes, he's such a liar and all the players hate him. That's why players continue to sign here. But if you keep telling yourself that trading Richards and Carter destroyed the franchise, maybe it'll happen someday

I never said anything about being screwed by the cap. I said we need a CBA/cap consultant to keep ourselves out of future trouble. Maybe you didn't see that after you blacked out, you tend to do so after someone says something positive about Holmgren.
If you don't think Homer damaged his relationship with Carter's agent, then you haven't been reading his comments. That stuff matters.

Old
09-27-2011, 12:25 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
If you don't think Homer damaged his relationship with Carter's agent, then you haven't been reading his comments. That stuff matters.
I don't doubt that he damaged that relationship. But at the end of the day, it's a business. People are acting like no free agent will ever sign here again because of that little scenario.

Old
09-27-2011, 12:29 PM
Jester

Quote:
I don't doubt that he damaged that relationship. But at the end of the day, it's a business. People are acting like no free agent will ever sign here again because of that little scenario.
No, but I question whether we'll get any sort of cap break like we got from Richard and Carter (especially from Carter) at various points. Carter did the Flyers a huge solid when he signed that 3 year contract, and then signed for a much smaller cap hit than he would have gotten on the open market for his current deal. If I'm Curran, I advise against any client of mine signing with Paul Holmgren to those types of deals... and I'm sure every other agent paid close attention as well.

Old
09-27-2011, 12:48 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by flountown View Post
I read it as they were looking for players to replace the lost OBP. The value came in when they chose players who were not 'prototypical' or desirable because of age/injury/athleticism who had poor traditional stats but fulfilled the OBP requirement.
Read the book, the movie doesn't match it.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 01:23 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
No, but I question whether we'll get any sort of cap break like we got from Richard and Carter (especially from Carter) at various points. Carter did the Flyers a huge solid when he signed that 3 year contract, and then signed for a much smaller cap hit than he would have gotten on the open market for his current deal. If I'm Curran, I advise against any client of mine signing with Paul Holmgren to those types of deals... and I'm sure every other agent paid close attention as well.
Richards' agent Meehan seems to be advising against these deals with Stamkos and Doughty.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote