HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > General Fantasy Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
General Fantasy Talk Forum for fantasy leagues, mock and all time drafts, and hockey video games.

Metroho (online hockey sim): a review

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-26-2011, 05:17 PM
  #1
barneyg
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,283
vCash: 500
Metroho (online hockey sim): a review

Hey, here to post about Metroho - a free online hockey game - because other online sims like Hockey Arena and PPM never quite did it for me, while Metroho has. I thought about describing the game first and then concentrating on the differences with other sims but I kept talking about the differences so I'll sprinkle them all around this post.

In Metroho, you manage your own hockey team by signing and trading players. When you sign up, you're given a list of expansion players which you offer contracts to, giving you a taste of one of the aspects that differentiate this game -- it's a salary cap management game first and foremost. Compared to other online sims, player value is extremely easy to figure out, so you can concentrate on contract strategy: long contracts can become bargains (as players improve) or burdens (as players decline), short contracts mean more turnover and you may lose guys to free agency, etc.

Part of what makes player value easy to figure is how players themselves are characterized: instead of a laundry list of 10-15 attributes like stickhandling, endurance, skating and whatnot, players have (a) an overall rating (out of 100, think NHL EA Series), (b) a playstyle (forwards: sniper, playmaker, checker, two-way forward, power forward; d-men: offensive, stay-at-home) and (c) an age (duh). For example an 80-rated power forward won't score as many goals as an 80-rated sniper, but he'll have more hits. an 80-rated checker will score even less but will have more hits and blocks. All this makes it easy to assess a player's worth and figure out line combinations and team makeup.

Once your roster is set, you can join a league (10 or 15 teams) and compete in a regular season and playoffs. Compared to other sims, Metroho's flexibility and fluidity is a huge plus here. A 72-game regular season is 20 days, plus 10 days for the playoffs. For each regular season day, your team plays 2 or 4 games, 1-2 home games and 1-2 away games. Here's what makes this game fun too -- you can actually play your home games! You can play (or quick-sim) every home game round-by-round with line changes, player instructions (all-out attack vs. shutdown etc.), complete with penalties, big hits and fights (which you can control).

Here's part of what makes this game addictive: drills. Instead of other sims which sometimes have training camps or money investments as a way to improve your players, every day you're in a league you get 10 drills to spend on players. If you donate to Metroho, you can get more, and through playing, you end up upgrading your arena and you can also get more drills (up to 19), but everybody starts with 10. When you spend a drill on a player, that guy may increase, or he may not, randomly.

During the playoffs there is also a 3-round draft with junior prospects (which you can scout). So at the trade deadline, you can trade away pending UFAs to contenders for a pick. Or in the off-season, you can trade a couple of guys for a prospect and a 1st rounder. Trading is a big part of this game.

(I'll add more to this later.)

---

When you sign up, please use the following link so that I receive referral credit.

http://www.metroho.com?reference=3083

P.S. My user name in the game is barneyg and my team name is The Tiger Williams.

If you don't want to use the referral link above:

http://www.metroho.com

barneyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 12:22 AM
  #2
Skobel24
#Ignited
 
Skobel24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,681
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
Hey, here to post about Metroho - a free online hockey game - because other online sims like Hockey Arena and PPM never quite did it for me, while Metroho has. I thought about describing the game first and then concentrating on the differences with other sims but I kept talking about the differences so I'll sprinkle them all around this post.

In Metroho, you manage your own hockey team by signing and trading players. When you sign up, you're given a list of expansion players which you offer contracts to, giving you a taste of one of the aspects that differentiate this game -- it's a salary cap management game first and foremost. Compared to other online sims, player value is extremely easy to figure out, so you can concentrate on contract strategy: long contracts can become bargains (as players improve) or burdens (as players decline), short contracts mean more turnover and you may lose guys to free agency, etc.

Part of what makes player value easy to figure is how players themselves are characterized: instead of a laundry list of 10-15 attributes like stickhandling, endurance, skating and whatnot, players have (a) an overall rating (out of 100, think NHL EA Series), (b) a playstyle (forwards: sniper, playmaker, checker, two-way forward, power forward; d-men: offensive, stay-at-home) and (c) an age (duh). For example an 80-rated power forward won't score as many goals as an 80-rated sniper, but he'll have more hits. an 80-rated checker will score even less but will have more hits and blocks. All this makes it easy to assess a player's worth and figure out line combinations and team makeup.

Once your roster is set, you can join a league (10 or 15 teams) and compete in a regular season and playoffs. Compared to other sims, Metroho's flexibility and fluidity is a huge plus here. A 72-game regular season is 20 days, plus 10 days for the playoffs. For each regular season day, your team plays 2 or 4 games, 1-2 home games and 1-2 away games. Here's what makes this game fun too -- you can actually play your home games! You can play (or quick-sim) every home game round-by-round with line changes, player instructions (all-out attack vs. shutdown etc.), complete with penalties, big hits and fights (which you can control).

Here's part of what makes this game addictive: drills. Instead of other sims which sometimes have training camps or money investments as a way to improve your players, every day you're in a league you get 10 drills to spend on players. If you donate to Metroho, you can get more, and through playing, you end up upgrading your arena and you can also get more drills (up to 19), but everybody starts with 10. When you spend a drill on a player, that guy may increase, or he may not, randomly.

During the playoffs there is also a 3-round draft with junior prospects (which you can scout). So at the trade deadline, you can trade away pending UFAs to contenders for a pick. Or in the off-season, you can trade a couple of guys for a prospect and a 1st rounder. Trading is a big part of this game.

(I'll add more to this later.)

---

When you sign up, please use the following link so that I receive referral credit.

http://www.metroho.com?reference=3083

P.S. My user name in the game is barneyg and my team name is The Tiger Williams.

If you don't want to use the referral link above:

http://www.metroho.com
Holy ****, Barneyg is on hfboards!

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 08:27 AM
  #3
Diskothek
Registered User
 
Diskothek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,762
vCash: 500
And me.

Diskothek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 11:27 AM
  #4
Razor29
The Ultimate Tank
 
Razor29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,943
vCash: 50
It's a good game. I have a few accounts.

Razor29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 11:29 AM
  #5
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz
 
McDonagh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,865
vCash: 500
Sounds interesting, gladly signed up using your referral link.

EDIT: damn, just realized this thread is old haha.


Last edited by McDonagh: 09-27-2011 at 07:27 PM.
McDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 01:29 PM
  #6
d3vilsfire
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: East Coast
Country: United States
Posts: 26
vCash: 500
Hi guys, im new to Hfboards, but i have been apart of Metroho for about a year. Metroho has hit a depression in amount of teams who want to join perm leagues... I thought this would be a great place to try and get recruits.. but since i cant post my own posts, ig i have to reply to already started posts.. I am currently commissioner for both UHL and TPE, and both need five teams, so lemme know

d3vilsfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 02:06 PM
  #7
OilChuck
Clutch and Crutch
 
OilChuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Moneybags
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3vilsfire View Post
Hi guys, im new to Hfboards, but i have been apart of Metroho for about a year. Metroho has hit a depression in amount of teams who want to join perm leagues... I thought this would be a great place to try and get recruits.. but since i cant post my own posts, ig i have to reply to already started posts.. I am currently commissioner for both UHL and TPE, and both need five teams, so lemme know
I run The Kanada Kup. I have had the same 15 teams for four seasons now. VIP prizes help keep interest. Chuck MacFarlane-Edmonton Oil Barons.

OilChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 03:32 PM
  #8
d3vilsfire
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: East Coast
Country: United States
Posts: 26
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilChuck View Post
I run The Kanada Kup. I have had the same 15 teams for four seasons now. VIP prizes help keep interest. Chuck MacFarlane-Edmonton Oil Barons.
Im The Crooked Arrows in that league.. are u interested in creating two multis? haha

d3vilsfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 10:54 AM
  #9
OilChuck
Clutch and Crutch
 
OilChuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Moneybags
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3vilsfire View Post
Im The Crooked Arrows in that league.. are u interested in creating two multis? haha
Vostok Viking were built for your league but I never got to join. They aren't an expansion team anyone so let me know if I can use them. PM me in game.

OilChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 06:05 PM
  #10
d3vilsfire
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: East Coast
Country: United States
Posts: 26
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilChuck View Post
Vostok Viking were built for your league but I never got to join. They aren't an expansion team anyone so let me know if I can use them. PM me in game.
id prefer u take a league owned team, but ill have to see

d3vilsfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 10:34 AM
  #11
d3vilsfire
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: East Coast
Country: United States
Posts: 26
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilChuck View Post
Vostok Viking were built for your league but I never got to join. They aren't an expansion team anyone so let me know if I can use them. PM me in game.
Would u mind taking over a league owned team? we have a slot open

d3vilsfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.