HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Were some posters were wrong ...

Closed Thread

Old
10-24-2003, 12:02 PM
Guy!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitude
Were some posters were wrong and what they say now about the players they were bashing:
Is it bashing, or just opinions, because last time I checked, we were all allowed to have an opinion. Certainly there are those whose opinion is drastic to the point of having no flexibility, and I agree questioning those people, but really, I think most here will admit where they made an error.

Quote:
One poster were always saying Théodore was the next Jim Carrey.
What does he say now? Can he apologize for such non sence statement?
Théo is back in shape like 2 years ago.
Well, as much as I like the sentiment of your post...apologize? For having an opinion?

Fan: "I'm sorry Theo, thought you were just a one-hit wonder"

Theo, with a blank stare: "And I ever cared what you thought...?"

Quote:
Some others were bashing Brisebois. Brisebois is doing very fine now. No complaints about him so far since Gainey stand up and said what he said. Some of you may forget last year he was playing injured (anckle and feet).
The difference in Brisebois has precisely nothing to do with injuries. Brisebois is playing a simple game and following the game plan. That's it, nothing special. Instead of trying to do things that he isn't able to do, he's limiting himself to only doing what he can do. Hence the improvement.

If you go out on the ice and say, "I'm Gretzky" then try and do what he does, I guarantee that not only will you fail, but you'll look like a twit whilst failing. If you go out knowing your limitations and play within them, then you will succeed.

Quote:
Some other posters (including myself) were saying Ribeiro wasn't good enough to shine at NHL level. Well, so far I have to admit I was wrong. I apologize to Rib and i'm very happy he do so well now.
Ribeiro isn't shining at the NHL level...yet. All he's done is perform well in a seven game stretch. I remeber some fellow for Washington a few years back scored bucket-loads in the playoffs. That was the only time he did anything. In order for Ribby to succeed, he has to be consistent over a period of time.

Can he shine at the NHL level? It's going to be tough for him because he's still a pencil that gets knocked off the puck by an errant draft of air. However, the same could be said for Gretzky - who was barely hit in his numerous years in hockey.

Quote:
Some other posters (not including me) are always bashing about Perreault. Have you seen his goal last night. A trully snyper goal (quick release and far enough that not any player can snap it at this distance). The way he is doing, Perreault can score about 24-30 goals this year. Maybe he should stay, 99% of you want him to move out of Mtl, you may forget last year he was injured the second half part of the season.
Perreault has wonderful hands, of that there is no doubt. Perreault also works hard about 50% of the time - at best. If people are on at him, it's because he could be so much more than he is if he gave a crap all the time.

If people are thinking or hoping that Perreault is on the outs, it's because they want Ribby to succeed. And there's not a whole lot of room for Ribby, Sax and Perreault, is there.

And as for the avatar. Most definitely 70's. Holy colours.

A concerned fan.

Old
10-24-2003, 12:07 PM
Corey

Johnny V was chastised, and so was I for going after him on the Bruins board. We're both on probation.

Old
10-24-2003, 12:15 PM
Nyclaus

For my part, Audette and Dackell are my favorite targets though Dackell is proving me wrong go Habs go!

Edit: I almost forgot that I tought Q was finished....my apologies Stephane!

Old
10-24-2003, 12:23 PM
doc lafleur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund
If Hasek and Joseph were the same age as Theodore I would do it in second! Age and salaries are the only factors here.

1 - Hasek is a better goalie then Theodore and if you think other wise you have have some screws loose. Remember him 5 or 10 years younger.

2- Joseph is still a very good goalie comparable to Theodore if not better, again if they were the same age I would take Joseph over Theodore!
I take Gretzky over Ribeiro

Old
10-24-2003, 01:30 PM
Corey

Let's deal with present realities, not with hypotheticals. In October 2003 Théodore is better than Hasek or Joseph. He's also much younger. He played last year with a sprained knee ligament that cut down on his lateral movement. He has rehabilitated his injury and is playing superbly. I have seen several of Hasek's games this season and he has not come close. Joseph hasn't played a single game, but his play last season with Detroit was not nearly as good as what Théodore is showing right now. The Habs have Théodore and Garon and don't need either of Detroit's goalies. As a matter of fact, Joseph passed through waivers and no GM in the league thought he's worth his salary. Detroit will not win the Cup and they're stuck with at least one white elephant.

Old
10-24-2003, 01:50 PM
doc lafleur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey
Let's deal with present realities, not with hypotheticals. In October 2003 Théodore is better than Hasek or Joseph. He's also much younger. He played last year with a sprained knee ligament that cut down on his lateral movement. He has rehabilitated his injury and is playing superbly. I have seen several of Hasek's games this season and he has not come close. Joseph hasn't played a single game, but his play last season with Detroit was not nearly as good as what Théodore is showing right now. The Habs have Théodore and Garon and don't need either of Detroit's goalies. As a matter of fact, Joseph passed through waivers and no GM in the league thought he's worth his salary. Detroit will not win the Cup and they're stuck with at least one white elephant.
Well done Ronald !!!

Old
10-24-2003, 01:50 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
omg...

I didnt realize how many people out there were theo bashers... GET REAL. This guy have win both hart and Vezina 2 years ago. He's coming off 1 bad year. I dont consider his 2 years ago performance to be luck since he was before that year doing very well.

And now, you're going to said to me you would pick without hesitation Khabibulin before him??? You are all so fast on jumping ou Theo back before he has 1 bad year (not that bad, only average...) BUT you're all impressed by the Bulin-Wall who almost Lossed his starting job last year to GRAHAME???? You're crazy. (Note: I'm only commenting 1 name but I could comment many of them, of course Brodeur is better so is VERY FEW others...)

Adding to that you are ranking Theo in the same categorie as Hackett. An injury-prone goalie in the middle 30. This is just insanity.

Old
10-24-2003, 01:57 PM
Medicine Twin

Quote:
Were some posters were wrong and what they say now about the players they were bashing:

One poster were always saying Théodore was the next Jim Carrey.
What does he say now? Can he apologize for such non sence statement?
Théo is back in shape like 2 years ago.
I agree... some posters seem to forget the miraculous saves he was making and the games he pretty much single-handedly won for us in 2002. This guy's the real deal.

Quote:
Some other posters (including myself) were saying Ribeiro wasn't good enough to shine at NHL level. Well, so far I have to admit I was wrong. I apologize to Rib and i'm very happy he do so well now.
No change here... I always knew he had the skill to put up 40-50pts. but that doesn't change the fact that he's small, slow, and one-dimensional. If anything, his play so-far might increase his trade-value. A contending team needs more from it's #2 center than what Ribeiro has to offer.

Quote:
Some other posters (not including me) are always bashing about Perreault. Have you seen his goal last night. A trully snyper goal (quick release and far enough that not any player can snap it at this distance). The way he is doing, Perreault can score about 24-30 goals this year. Maybe he should stay, 99% of you want him to move out of Mtl, you may forget last year he was injured the second half part of the season.
See Ribeiro... add in that he's old... but at least he's proven to be able to score 20+ goals year in-year out, and is the best face-off man in the league.

Quote:
Who here have enough humility to admit they were wrong?

... btw, how to you like my new avatar?
I admit that, SO FAR, I've been wrong about putting Ward above Ryder on the depth chart. But I WAS one of the only like 5% who even thought Ryder would/should make the team back in August... when are the other 95% or so gonna own up?! Ryder's been excellent so far.

Old
10-24-2003, 02:31 PM
BLONG7

In the past I have been guilty of bashing Claudette, Traverse, and MT and I am standing by it! As for Theo, I was fairly confident he could rebound... Ribs, well let's see where he is after 20-25 games, but he has had an excellent start. Brisebois has been mis-used and it showed, and everybody wanted this guy gone... now CJ is using him more wisely and BG took care of the boo birds and PB is playing very well. Enjoy it guys and let's hope it continues into the Playoffs!

Old
10-24-2003, 02:33 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Who here have enough humility to admit they were wrong?
NEVER! ARGH!!! Ok then, I was wrong about Ribs (but that crow pie is delicious).

As for Perreault, he's starting like he always does. He's a sniper and can put it in in close and win faceoffs like no other. That's pretty much it. If you think it's enough to be a valuable asset, then he's no doubt a valuable asset, if however you feel he's just a big floater that slows down in the second half of the season and is a liability defensively, then you can make an equally solid case for his wished departure. All a mater of opinions.
Quote:
... btw, how to you like my new avatar?
Very hypnotic. Just like the player in it. Cool.

Old
10-24-2003, 09:24 PM
HABitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
Very hypnotic. Just like the player in it. Cool.
I was going to change my signature to : You are getting hypnotize by Guy, or something like that. Sorry, the signature change was not available.

And this is defenitively a '70's avatar, kind of Austin Powers influence.
I like it, ahah ahah, that's the way, ahah ahah I like it ...

Old
10-24-2003, 09:42 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Yo Naslund why are you so high on Giguerre? He did the exact same thing as Theo did, maybe less. Giguerre played awesome in the playoffs, but went more or less unoticeable during the regular season, then signs a big contract. Theo is better then Giguerre and I would take Theo before him any day.

Old
10-25-2003, 03:07 AM
MTLGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund
I've always been hard on Theodore and I'm still hesitant to say he's a top % goalie in this league. The biggest reason I'm hard on him is because most Montreal fans think he's a top 5 goalie. I see Theodore as just an avg. goalie. He's playing well right now but in a defensive system.
Even at that he's managed to have a hoorible game in Ottawa 2 weak goals and in the loss to Toronto he should have made that save. All in all I want him to succeed but I feel he gets way too much credit in Montreal because he's french.

Here's a list of goalies I would take on my team now ,before Theodore. (In no paricular order)

Brodeur
Hasek
Khabibulin
Luongo
Turco
Giguere

Here's a list of goalies who are at par with Theodore (in no particular order)

Lalime
Kolzig
Thibeault
Joseph
Cechmanek
Biron
Nabokov
Vokoun
Denis
Belfour
Hackett

All this to say Theodore isn't garbage but sure isn't head and shoulders over any one else in the above list, he's an Avg. goalie who sometimes will come accross looking spectacular. His biggest fault is he consistently lets in bad goals in key moments of close games. ie Carolina series of 2 or 3 years ago, he may have stole a series vs. Boston but stunk vs the Canes.
All I have to say is that THANK GOD YOU'RE NOT OUR GM.

The only player I would trade Theo for would be Brodeur. Hasek is good for maybe another year or 2 at the max what do you do then? Giguere is as much an unknown factor as Theo (he even seems to be having the same bad year this year as Theo had last year) and Theo is far better than Gigeure is THIS year. Joseph is finished. As for comparing Theo to Thibault, Denis, Vokoun, Hackett (though I like him) is pure B******T.

As for those who bash Perreault, Ribs, Brisebois, Audette, they are doing their job this year. This year IS what counts, not last year boys, forget about it and live in the present.

The Perreault bashers I cannot understand, he is an offensive player and does his job. He was signed for this purpose and not to be the next BOB GAINEY! He admittedly isn't a Froseberg, Sakic, Lemieux etc..but, did you all expect him to be?

Ribs is still young and is starting to show us that he can be a second line center. Audette is, I will admit another story, but he is doing his job THIS YEAR and there is no one presently the organisation that can replace him NOW.

The whole difference this year is Julian and BG. We now have a system and a GM which we reluctantly haven't had since Savard and Jacques Demers, that’s what? 9 years playing a headless game of hockey.

Julian and BG have stated at the beginning of the year. "WE WILL PLAY THE BEST PLAYERS WE HAVE" so Audette reluctantly IS presently better than whoever we have in Kingston.

Did they not get rid of Cherk? (the AS***LE who has done more in five games with the Islanders than his whole year with us).

Did they not get rid of Mckay?

Isn't Traverse and Dykhuis playing in Hamilton? (this only because no one else wanted them)!

Did Gainey not pick up Begin and Langdon and thus getting rid of Dwyer (though he does have a lot of heart) a player who could not win a fight and get an enforcer that we haven't had since........ Will you all now start bashing Begin and Langdon because they don't get 80 points a year! They are role players and at least Begin is playing his role and deserves his spot on the 4th line. Gainey chose the right players to add more grit which we sorefully missed last year.

There isn't even enough room for KOMI right now!

What about Kilger? Who do we send down?
What about Langdon? Who do we send down?
Who do we bench to play Koivu? Who do we move to play Koivu?

These are all questions we didn’t have to answer last year Guys, happily this IS NOT the same team as last year!

Old
10-25-2003, 06:11 AM
skidboot

If the season is 7 games long I would no doubt admit that I was wrong about a few of the players. I thought that Ribeiro's size would still be of concern. The light has seemed to go on for him. He's letting his instincts take over. Real good player in the offensive zone. Wish he'd get bigger though!!!

Perreault seems to be meshing well with his linemates but still it is only 7 games into the season. Remember the second half last year???

Theodore has been outstanding. Kudos!!!

Brisebois.....I've burned my bridge with him, I guess 14 years of his shenanigans did it for me. If he gets traded I will NOT shed a tear for Breezer.

All in all we are out to a great start but still we are only 7 games deep into the season.

Old
10-25-2003, 06:16 AM
skidboot

BTW that avatar is absolutely the greatest!

Don't like to be a copycat but could I use that one also?

Outstanding.

Old
10-25-2003, 07:09 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLGuy
As for those who bash Perreault, Ribs, Brisebois, Audette, they are doing their job this year. This year IS what counts, not last year boys, forget about it and live in the present.

The Perreault bashers I cannot understand, he is an offensive player and does his job. He was signed for this purpose and not to be the next BOB GAINEY! He admittedly isn't a Froseberg, Sakic, Lemieux etc..but, did you all expect him to be?
I expect him to try defensively, and try to throw his body around once in awhile.

What I don't understand is how people like you blindly defend Perreault and claim he's an "offensive player," when in today's NHL you need two-way players to succeed. People like you moan about the Habs' lack of defensive system and breakdowns defensively, then wonder why the team is brutal in its own zone. Lynch the coach, Brisebois, Theodore, but never Perreault; the center that hasn't thrown a check since moving to Montreal, and has the defensive conscience rivalling either one of the Bure brothers.

Just because Perreault was brought in here to fulfill a specific role doesn't mean fans should have to accept it, like Perreault, and feel he's an asset to the team. Because more often than not he's a liability, unless he's on his hotstreak; padding stats and scoring in bunches. There's no denying he has an excellent shot from the slot, strong in the faceoff circle, but miserable in any other way.

Old
10-25-2003, 08:34 AM
MTLGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
I expect him to try defensively, and try to throw his body around once in awhile.

What I don't understand is how people like you blindly defend Perreault and claim he's an "offensive player," when in today's NHL you need two-way players to succeed. People like you moan about the Habs' lack of defensive system and breakdowns defensively, then wonder why the team is brutal in its own zone. Lynch the coach, Brisebois, Theodore, but never Perreault; the center that hasn't thrown a check since moving to Montreal, and has the defensive conscience rivalling either one of the Bure brothers.

Just because Perreault was brought in here to fulfill a specific role doesn't mean fans should have to accept it, like Perreault, and feel he's an asset to the team. Because more often than not he's a liability, unless he's on his hotstreak; padding stats and scoring in bunches. There's no denying he has an excellent shot from the slot, strong in the faceoff circle, but miserable in any other way.
So I guess you go cry to mommy when she buys you your apples but then you want a banana she gets you a banana and then you want an orange bla bla bla bla.

You get what you pay for and Perreault is what they wanted and Perreaut is what they got. Did he change his style since comming to Montreal ? NO. so why cry about it? The habs aren't!

PS Sometimes he frustrates me also as does Brisebois and others. But trade them because you want them to be something they aren't? NO.

You build your team by getting the players that you can and for the price that you can afford. This is the team that they have. Accept that.

Old
10-25-2003, 09:03 AM
Mike8

Quote:
So I guess you go cry to mommy when she buys you your apples but then you want a banana she gets you a banana and then you want an orange bla bla bla bla.

You get what you pay for and Perreault is what they wanted and Perreaut is what they got. Did he change his style since comming to Montreal ? NO. so why cry about it? The habs aren't!

PS Sometimes he frustrates me also as does Brisebois and others. But trade them because you want them to be something they aren't? NO.

You build your team by getting the players that you can and for the price that you can afford. This is the team that they have. Accept that.
Jeez, this board is full of brilliant kids today, eh? :p

Yes, I'm crying about Perreault. Quality post. Again I'm getting advice on having to 'accept' the Canadiens have a team. What part do I need to accept exactly?

I think you need to accept that not everyone will be pleased with every player on the Canadiens, and that it's fairly immature to classify anything critical against Hab players as 'crying', or use idiotic analogies to 'crying to mom'. This isn't crying; it's discussion about a player's capabilities (something you failed to respond to whatsoever). If you don't like it, go find a puckbunny board where you can cheer every player and comment about how good Gainey and Savard have done.

Buying Perreault had nothing to do with merely purchasing the players the team can afford. He's earning $2.8M. The Habs had a top 10 payroll last season. Your comments about Montreal only picking players they can afford came from left field. The team has been one of the biggest offenders went it's come to overpaying for mediocre talent in the past 5 years.

Old
10-25-2003, 09:09 AM
Nyclaus

Quote:
Audette still hasn't prove anything this year.

Old
10-25-2003, 09:32 AM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyclaus
Audette still hasn't prove anything this year.
That's not true... He proved more than once this year that missing an open netter is easier than we think.

Old
10-25-2003, 07:25 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Théo a bad technique, out of position?? No comments here, you just make yourself ridiculous... Théo has an almost perfect technique and always a great positionning ! That's a terrible lack of knowledge from you here!

ok, il était comment se soir? contre pittsburg? toute la saison passé?

Ribeiro lack of creativity? Wanna laugh?? He regulary makes offensively things happen during a game and you are absoluly wrong saying that Koivu makes things happens almost every shifts, that's absoluly impossible, out of reality! The Ribeiro's line constantly dominate opponents... His efficiency is obvious and alot more reliable than the Perreault's one! That's also obvious on stats... Ribs +3, Perreault even!

ah oui, parce que Ribeiro était bien visible se soir, pis les 4 dernières games... oui il a exploser sur quelques sécances, mais sur la plupart des sécances?
en passant j'ai jamais dit que Ribeiro était pas créatif

Closed Thread