HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Brendan Gallagher

Old
09-27-2011, 11:02 AM
habsjunkie2*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Very true!

It is one of those idiotic truisms that the dinosaurs of hockey like to spew.

The fact is that the little guys tend to absorb very few big hits through the course of a season due to their elusiveness and style of play. It is the bigger players that use their body as a shield to protect the puck that take an enormous cumulative beating and end up limping into the post season.
You're simply wrong and the other poster is right. A large reason why our 5vs5 scoring has been putrid is the lack of size, especially in the top 6, that will likely change this year with Cole and Pacioretty from the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Same place the Gomez bashers have disappeared to.
I don't think there were any Gallagher bashers. To ask where they went when they never really existed is a bit odd. As for Gomez, he'll give us plenty to bash over, no doubt about it. He's already used up 1/3 of his goals for the season.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 11:08 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Only European players like Avstin can have two-way contracts. Unfair but that's the case.
You mean "only European players like Avstin can play in the AHL before being 20". It has nothing to do with one or two-ways contracts. All rookie contracts are two-ways, no exception.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 11:51 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Only European players like Avstin can have two-way contracts. Unfair but that's the case.
That's not a rule

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 11:51 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
You mean "only European players like Avstin can play in the AHL before being 20". It has nothing to do with one or two-ways contracts. All rookie contracts are two-ways, no exception.
Of course.

But only European players, who played no Junior hockey in Canada, are afforded to play on an AHL team before the age of 20. So, they have a two-way contract AHL/NHL before the junior guys.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 12:01 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
You're simply wrong and the other poster is right. A large reason why our 5vs5 scoring has been putrid is the lack of size, especially in the top 6, that will likely change this year with Cole and Pacioretty from the beginning.
well the other poster said little players are too tierd when comes PO to be productive. Considering Cammy and Gio are our best producers come PO time, given the context he was right and original poster was wrong. As to your statment, it would probably be better if you explained your corelation, like prophet did. (i dont care if youve already explained in somewhere else, if your going to make a correlation, at least give the details of it? especially iff your going to tag a poster as beiong wrong, who actually put some effort in his correlation)

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 12:06 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Of course.

But only European players, who played no Junior hockey in Canada, are afforded to play on an AHL team before the age of 20. So, they have a two-way contract AHL/NHL before the junior guys.
That's also incorrect.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 12:10 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Of course.

What about NCAA players?

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 12:13 PM
Bullsmith

For a fifth rounder, Gallagher has been an absolute revelation this camp. Guy looks like a top six player down the road.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 01:52 PM
neofury*

According to the main forums we're running around like **** tards saying this kid is the second coming of Corey Perry

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 01:54 PM
VanIsle
Bruins in 2015

In the 2 games he played against the Bruins he was by far the best player for you guys. He seems to have a great offensive up-side and if he didn't hit so many posts he would have 4-5 goals easily. But seriously for a 5th rounder you guys struck gold.

VanIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 02:10 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
According to the main forums we're running around like **** tards saying this kid is the second coming of Corey Perry
Perry's bigger, dirtier and more physical. He's also an NHL star. It's a bad comparison... The only faint similarity I see in their play is their capacity to operate in tight spaces.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 07:08 PM
SpezNc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Ron Hainsey yearssss ago
I remember. And he was sent back. We kept Dykhuis and / or P. Traverse.

It was the beginning of the end for Ron Hainsey in a habs uniform.

SpezNc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 07:27 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post

I think the most anyone is saying he has a chance to be a 20-25 goal second line sniper. Which is still pretty exciting. Anytime you can land a prospect like that outside of the first round, of course you're excited...

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 07:34 PM
L4vK

First of all, lets pretend that what happened last season and this years at camp didn't occurred.

How did this guy fell in the 5th rounds ???

He was coming from a 72gp-41g-40a-81p-111pm, plus at 16 yo he still put 31 points in 52 games. I mean, you look at a guy like Ryan Johansen and he did put 71-24-44-63 and he got drafted 4th overall.

Some will say that he is bigger and they saw more potential in him, it is true, thats is why he got 4th overall. But why a 17yo 40goals scorer slip to the 5th round ?

Didnt the GMs got their lessons whit Fleury,St-louis etc ?

I mean, if the small guy can score 40 goals and 100pm he wont shy away from men when hes going to be 22 years old.

On a side note, he said he uses is size as an advantage and I believe him, just go look some highlight when hes cutting to the net.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by L4vK: 09-27-2011 at 07:39 PM.
L4vK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 08:00 PM
SpezNc

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4vK View Post
First of all, lets pretend that what happened last season and this years at camp didn't occurred.

How did this guy fell in the 5th rounds ???

He was coming from a 72gp-41g-40a-81p-111pm, plus at 16 yo he still put 31 points in 52 games. I mean, you look at a guy like Ryan Johansen and he did put 71-24-44-63 and he got drafted 4th overall.

Some will say that he is bigger and they saw more potential in him, it is true, thats is why he got 4th overall. But why a 17yo 40goals scorer slip to the 5th round ?

Didnt the GMs got their lessons whit Fleury,St-louis etc ?

I mean, if the small guy can score 40 goals and 100pm he wont shy away from men when hes going to be 22 years old.

On a side note, he said he uses is size as an advantage and I believe him, just go look some highlight when hes cutting to the net.

Thanks for reading.
Because he was not recognized as a fast skater. Most of the players under 5'10 are very good skater.

Scouts worries how his tenure in the WHL would translate in the NHL.

While his skating is still a concern, he has improved his quickness in the past year.

But like you said 72gp-41g-40a-81p-111pm it's pretty good.

Congrats to T. Timmins to draft him at 5th round. We didn't have a second round draft pick because of the Tinordi trade. Guess now Gallagher kind of is!!!

Old
09-27-2011, 08:07 PM
L4vK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezNc View Post
Because he was not recognized as a fast skater. Most of the players under 5'10 are very good skater.

Scouts worries how his tenure in the WHL would translate in the NHL.

While his skating is still a concern, he has improved his quickness in the past year.

But like you said 72gp-41g-40a-81p-111pm it's pretty good.

Congrats to T. Timmins to draft him at 5th round. We didn't have a second round draft pick because of the Tinordi trade. Guess now Gallagher kind of is!!!
There it is then, because if you look at Corey Locke... Give him some speed and sky is the limit

From what I saw, Gallagher have some similarities whit Cammy in term of skating abilities ; Both don't have the straight top notch speed but men, these guys are very quick and agile.

This pick could be a Subbanesque steal @ 5th overall.

L4vK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 08:37 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4vK View Post
There it is then, because if you look at Corey Locke... Give him some speed and sky is the limit

From what I saw, Gallagher have some similarities whit Cammy in term of skating abilities ; Both don't have the straight top notch speed but men, these guys are very quick and agile.

This pick could be a Subbanesque steal @ 5th overall.
Straight line speed is irrelevant when comparing Gallagher to Locke. Locke didn't have Gallagher's quickness in the offensive zone from 0 to the net.

Gallagher can create something out of nothing from the offensive red line or off the boards in heavy traffic. He also has an instinct to drive the net at any price.

Locke's game necessitated more time and space. Locke didn't have the physical attributes to carry his type of game to the NHL level.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 08:20 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post

I think the most anyone is saying he has a chance to be a 20-25 goal second line sniper. Which is still pretty exciting. Anytime you can land a prospect like that outside of the first round, of course you're excited...
Yeah I asked the poster "please link the post where anyone said this as I've been on the habs forum and nobody has even compared Perry to a poor mans version of Perry let alone Perry himself" In fact just like you said people are projecting him to be a potential second liner. Not a 50 goal scoring guy who is much bigger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy View Post
I've seen a lot of bad analysts on TV, and Gaston Therrien is by far the worse I've ever seen or heard. You can already guess what he's going to say even before the game is over. He's a euro-hater too. I'll stop at that before getting an infraction.

/rant
Oh you won't get an infraction for that. The mods are pretty down to earth and I think most of them would agree with you.

Regardless the guy looks like a francophone frankenstein, just put two bolts on his neck (photoshop anyone?) and you'll see what I mean.

Last edited by Habs 4 Life: 09-28-2011 at 08:27 AM.
neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 08:28 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardo View Post
What was the name of the Q player that Timmins didn't draft instead of Gallagher and Gaston Therrien almost exploded on RIS? Jonathan something?

"Y'ont les mêmes statistiques et ont prend celui au plus petit gabarit!!! Jcomprends pas!!!"

I hate that man with a passion
SOrry to burst your bubble, but I remember vividly that he was raving about Westin instead of Brunelle. Not Gallagher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
That connoisseur would have had the Habs trade up from their #22 slot in 2007 (when they drafted Max Pacioretty) to select Angelo Esposito.
He would have picked him with the McDonagh pick.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 12:23 PM
SpezNc

Quote:
Originally Posted by katatoniak View Post
I really think it was Gallagher. it also took them something like 5 minutes before finding informations on him. Was funny as hell haha.

:Le canadien selectionne ...... Brendan Gallagher ................ Mesdames et messieurs laissez-nous un peu de temps pour trouver de l'info sur ce joueur.
I didn't whatch the draft on RIS but rather on internet (NHL.com) but I would guess that RDS didn't know M. Macmillan before the Habs drafted him. because he was from the BCHL

At least Gallagher was from the WHL

I'm always amazed (in a bad way) on how much RDS doesn't have a clue during the draft.

Old
09-28-2011, 12:36 PM
habsrule22

If Eller is not ready for opening night, I d give Gallagher a try on the third line.
A line of Andrei - DD - Gallagher should be pretty good offensively, lots of speed, but could get in trouble defensively because they are small. Worth a try thou.

habsrule22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 12:41 PM
MrExpos

I'd give Gallagher some NHL games if Eller, White and perharps Moen are not ready for opening night, if only for the message that it would send to the rest of the prospects.

MrExpos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 12:51 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

It bothers me that we are a contract or two away from the limit and most of you want to give Gallagher one to play 9 games. Offer him one in July when we have many expiring and he actually has a shot of making the team, or will play in Hamilton. It's a shame we can't flat out release Bishop and Lefebvre.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 01:09 PM
pine

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
It bothers me that we are a contract or two away from the limit and most of you want to give Gallagher one to play 9 games. Offer him one in July when we have many expiring and he actually has a shot of making the team, or will play in Hamilton. It's a shame we can't flat out release Bishop and Lefebvre.
Why? If he goes back to juniors after his nine game stint, his contract won't count against the fifty contract limit.

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 01:50 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFpineapple View Post
Why? If he goes back to juniors after his nine game stint, his contract won't count against the fifty contract limit.
Pretty sure Leblanc's counted against us last year.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote