HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers 28 Cuts; The Preliminary Thoughts (9/26: Thuresson, Deveaux cut)

Old
09-26-2011, 02:16 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

vCash: 500
We have enough Defense. He isn't cracking anything, ever. Best bet would be to play in Russia.

I can't say I care....at all.

People love him because he has a big shot...but that's about all he has, and I'm not even that impressed with it.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 02:23 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

I thought Vtank had a poor preseason game, though I thought MDZ had a poor 1st game too and looked a lot better in his 2nd, point being one game shouldn't tell all. I do know that Vtank's style doesn't fit well in the Rangers system and that alone may kill his chances. He deserves a shot in this league and I hope he gets dealt but probably will have to wait it out until he gets picked up through waives. It's a shame really, teams are still willing to pay Andy Sutton and Sheldon Souray millions of dollars and Valentenko has to rot in the minors. Edmonton would be much better off with Vtank then the pylon they call Andy Sutton that they're paying over 2 million.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 02:53 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

I'm guessing Valentenko cleared waivers?

Edit: no one was claimed overnight.

Last edited by haohmaru: 09-26-2011 at 02:59 PM.
haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:47 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

this whole vtank thing stinks.

the game against the devils hadnt even ended- heck it was the 2nd period i think, and already some of the media tools were tweeting about vtank going back to russia.

dooshes

gimme a break. talk about taking the bias bait.... its almost like they are hoping/expecting he skates directly from the ice to a waiting russian plane bound for moscow.

if he doesnt leave for russia - and im hoping he stays and fulfills his contract this season, he may get a shot on a call up or injury. you never know. this doesnt mean hes finished. look at sauers situation.

and if you all think that del zotto has been perfect so far, he hasnt. same with erixon, hes looked overmatched a few times, and forget eminger- hes an average 7th man. heck, mike sauer who is universally loved around here- and with good reason, looked shaky the other night. tanks playing partner is a fringe player so it wasnt like he had a roster player from last years team watching his back- like del zotto and erixon both did.

vtank struggled for sure- like many others. he looked slow and made a few mistakes especially ill timed pinches, but he also made quite a few nice plays to break up rushes and scoring chances down low as well. i know, i re watched the game and trust me, he wasnt that awful. he wasnt involved much over the blue line as his partner consistently and some times irresponably kept taking pucks deep.

seems to me that this guy got cut after 1 game and, according to leslie- a few poor scrimmages as well. sounds like he hasnt been playing that well. but does it mean he cant play at all ?

as you all well know, im not a huge torts guy. he has an agenda against most euros and this further reinforces my paranoi....er, belief that torts doesnt have room on his team for more than a very few euros.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:51 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
I'm guessing Valentenko cleared waivers?

Edit: no one was claimed overnight.
yep according to McKenzies twitter everyone cleared and Vtank has said he will go to the minors and he would have to clear re-entry on the way back so I think he'll be in CT all yr regardless.

Also Campoli signed in Montreat 1 yr -1.75

Gives them alot of Dmen no? EC for Weber , do it do it, lol

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:54 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Del Zotto > Valentenko.

Erixon > Valentenko.

Every defenseman on the NHL roster > Valentenko.

Plain and simple.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 04:00 PM
eco's bones

It's tough when all the roster spots are more or less spoken for. You get one chance to show your stuff and if you have a bad night it's all over--and then the same guy can go down to the AHL and have a really good season. Not sure if V-tank has the goods to prove himself a legit NHL player over a stretch of games--but this wasn't a stretch it was one single night where he got picked apart on a couple of plays. The Rangers have given up on guys before and occasionally it has bit them in the ass.

For now if V-tank's going to stick out the season in North America give him credit for that and if an opportunity to go back up presents itself and his play this season warrants his recall then good for him. Having pencilled in MDZ and Erixon to start the season to me--one of these 3 dmen are going to be recalled in case of injury--Valentenko, Kundratek, Parlett.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 04:21 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Valentenko hurt groin

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/r...urn_to_russia/

well this certainly explains a thing or two.

Quote:
“I hurt my groin and didn’t tell the coaches because I don’t want to quit the game,” Valentenko said. “But it was my mistake. I couldn’t really skate. I should have told (the coaches), but I wanted to play.”
Quote:
Valentenko says he has to improve his positioning in the defensive zone if he’s going to have a legitimate shot at the NHL.
But it’s the NHL, not KHL, that interests him most.
“I want to stay here,” Valentenko said. “I’m going to fight for the Rangers. I never quit.”
that's the right attitude!

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 04:34 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
yep according to McKenzies twitter everyone cleared and Vtank has said he will go to the minors and he would have to clear re-entry on the way back so I think he'll be in CT all yr regardless.

Also Campoli signed in Montreat 1 yr -1.75

Gives them alot of Dmen no? EC for Weber , do it do it, lol
he doesn't need re-entry waivers to come back up...only players that make more than $105k in the AHL need re-entry waivers. valentenko makes $62.5k down there.

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:48 PM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
that's the right attitude!

I haven't seen much of P Val in preseason.

Maybe he avoided observation by using the Mak'tar stealth haze.

To me one guy I have been watching,.. who has not gone unoticed is MDZ. He continues to play poorly everytime I notice him. He is very recognisable, shaking his head after a poor play or big turnover. Seems very shaky in the proccess losing confidence.

Everyone seems to be giving him a free pass to make the club. But I'll tell ya, Torts won't hesitate to send him down again. I don't see much improvement in his defensive play.

How about McIlrath surviving the cut and getting a long look with Staal out? I like what I see.

But the big surprise in camp to me is John Mitchell. Not that he has impressed, but that he is in the Rangers organization. I had no idea. I loved him when he played in Toronto. He is a very steady two way player with lots of speed. He played 3rd line minutes and killed penalties for them. Toronto brass had nothing but nice things to say about him and his work ethic. I'm surprised they let him go. Looking at his stats, I guess he didn't produce (points) as much as they would have hoped for him. He is a player with great character. If he makes the team, which looks very promising,... you guys are gonna love him.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:51 PM
JeffMangum
~Dylan~

Just to keep everything centric, Deveaux and Theuresson got cut tonight.

Maybe a moderator could edit the title to reflect that?

EDIT: Right on cue.

Do I have mod powers I am unbeknownst to?

Anyway, I'm surprised they haven't cut Christensen yet. I know people wanted to cut Weise, but he's been all over the ice in the games he's played, and he's played a game that the coaches tend to love.

Everything about you is bringing me misery.
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:58 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

VTank definitely has the right attitude.

He should've told Torts his groin was hurt.

Can he be called up from the AHL?

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:59 PM
JeffMangum
~Dylan~

Yeah, absolutely.

EDIT: Effed up, he isn't waiver exempt, I can't believe I forgot he was on waivers just yesterday.

He can still be called up, but we run the risk of losing him if we try and send him back to Connecticut.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 11:39 PM
Vitto79

Thurreson with a goal and down, bummer for him, Deveaux is a AHL goon............Bourque has a legit shot of making next yrs team if he keeps this up

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 11:42 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Yeah, absolutely.

EDIT: Effed up, he isn't waiver exempt, I can't believe I forgot he was on waivers just yesterday.

He can still be called up, but we run the risk of losing him if we try and send him back to Connecticut.
I think if a player is re-called, then he doesn't have to pass through waivers again for 10 games or 30 days, whichever comes first. Not sure if pre-season games count.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 09:43 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post

as you all well know, im not a huge torts guy. he has an agenda against most euros and this further reinforces my paranoi....er, belief that torts doesnt have room on his team for more than a very few euros.
dude he shouldn't be on this team. Enough with the "Torts doesn't like Euros" crap. Torts doesn't have room for players that aren't good at hockey.

How about you admit that the guy isn't good? You said it yourself, he didn't have a good camp, or look very good.

So you think he should be given a roster spot? For what reason, exactly?

Who is he better than?

Enough with this guy.....and the conspiracy theorists attached to his jock.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 09:56 AM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightide85 View Post
dude he shouldn't be on this team. Enough with the "Torts doesn't like Euros" crap. Torts doesn't have room for players that aren't good at hockey.

How about you admit that the guy isn't good? You said it yourself, he didn't have a good camp, or look very good.

So you think he should be given a roster spot? For what reason, exactly?

Who is he better than?

Enough with this guy.....and the conspiracy theorists attached to his jock.
saying torts doesn't like euros is extremely laughable considering he has done everything humanly possible to give MZA a spot in the lineup while burying avery with ahl and echlers most nights. and potentially putting stepan on the 4th line so anisimov can center the 2nd line, etc

people see things when it fits their agenda

Old
09-27-2011, 11:09 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
saying torts doesn't like euros is extremely laughable considering he has done everything humanly possible to give MZA a spot in the lineup while burying avery with ahl and echlers most nights. and potentially putting stepan on the 4th line so anisimov can center the 2nd line, etc

people see things when it fits their agenda
not to mention Fedotenko and Prospal...

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 11:23 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
not to mention Fedotenko and Prospal...
Or our franchise goaltender, first line right and left wings...

Old
09-27-2011, 11:31 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Or our franchise goaltender, first line right and left wings...
I'm pretty sure Wolski was born in Poland but considers himself Canadian.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 11:36 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I'm pretty sure Wolski was born in Poland but considers himself Canadian.
He grew up in Canada, and considers himself a Polish-Canadian. You are right.

But he was born in Poland. So he's European.

Old
09-27-2011, 11:38 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
He grew up in Canada, and considers himself a Polish-Canadian. You are right.

But he was born in Poland. So he's European.
Yeah I got ya. Either way Torts isn't biased against Europeans. He loves Anisimov and Fedotenko. He seems to be pretty high on Erixon as well as MZA. Plus Modin who loved playing for him.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 12:10 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Yeah I got ya. Either way Torts isn't biased against Europeans. He loves Anisimov and Fedotenko. He seems to be pretty high on Erixon as well as MZA. Plus Modin who loved playing for him.
Absolutely. Why would he be biased against Europeans. Torts may be some things, but a bigot he is not.

He simply asks guys to give all of their effort. And to focus mentally on their job.

Old
09-27-2011, 12:15 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

I thought Thuresson had a decent game, figured he would have stayed over a guy like Bickel.

I like what we've seen from Weise. I really think his off season changes may have given him that little edge in his skating to put him onto the 4th line sending Hagelin down to Hartford at the end of preseason.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 12:20 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
I thought Thuresson had a decent game, figured he would have stayed over a guy like Bickel.
dman vs forward so they weren't in competition with each other for a spot on the trip