HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

All Injury Talk: Markov to rejoin team at the end of Oct? Ryan White out indefinitely

Closed Thread

Old
09-26-2011, 05:37 PM
SB164

vCash: 500
TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie
My understanding on Markov is he gets some swelling in knee if he pushes rehab too hard, but no evidence at this point it's a major problem.

Old
09-26-2011, 10:36 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man View Post
Especially when it's actually the flu, and not a cold.

No, you didn't. I don't know you from a hole in the ground, but I will without a doubt 100% guarantee you that you did not get the flu annually. You may have gotten a COLD annually, but you absolutely did not get the flu every year.

Part of the problem with threads like these, or at least when the get to the topic of colds/flus is that too many people think they are the same thing. They aren't, not at all. Pretty much all the people who think they still get "the flu" after getting a flu shot, are referring to a cold, not the flu. People (primarily the elderly) can and do actually die from the Flu. If someone actually has the flu, it's absolutely understandable that they can't play a game of hockey. A cold? you can fight there that depending, but if it's the flu? unlikely.

Having a flu shot won't do squat to prevent you from getting a cold, and also it needs to be kept in mind that the flu shots that people are given are only done to protect you from that particular season's most likely and plentiful strain of the flu. There's many different strains and they are constantly mutating.

But no, (and I really don't mean this as any sort of shot at you), you did not have the flu annually as a kid. And absolutely, if someone actually has the flu, it's 100% understandable why they may miss some games.
I got the flu annually as a kid dude and I know other people like my own girlfriend even who also was very sick as a kid. My brother was the opposite and I think my pediatrician knew how to diagnose a flu bro.

That being said okay maybe sometimes it was 14 months apart or 16 but it was basically an annual thing. (If you really want to get into being exact about it I can't give you exact dates but no longer than 1.5 years at a time and as early as 1 year at a time is accurate. I know what a cold is and so does my doctor. I'm not even the type of person to go to the doctor unless I'm seriously ill and my parents aren't even the types to let me stay home for a cold or even bring me to the doctors for a cold. I wasn't one of those kids who could get away with faking too my mom would break out the thermometer lol)

I do agree with your points about the shot dude but trust me when you're young and have a bad immune system you can get the flu every 12-16 months easily. Like you mentioned there are different types of flu and with a bad immune system it means you're even more prone to those types. Having one won't necessarily strengthen your immune system against another.

Not denying it could even be an anomaly of some kind cause like I said now it's once every 3 years. I definitely had a **** immune system as a kid though. My girlfriend isn't even allowed to take antibiotics anymore unless it's something extremely serious, that's how many times she got antibiotics as a child.

Last edited by neofury*: 09-26-2011 at 10:42 PM.
Old
09-26-2011, 10:57 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

In the context of players missing games, I suspect "the flu" is used as a generic term for any kind of similar ailment. No need for them to go in details - just like they'll say something about a "lower body injury" without specifying what they are talking about.

Old
09-27-2011, 06:55 AM
Stasis
Mad Decent

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I got the flu annually as a kid dude.
I got it a lot as a kid as well. Maybe not annually, but not that far from it. I haven't had it in like 5-6 years now though!

Anyway, just reinforcing that it's possible. Nurse gf confirms. Imagine, say, a young kid with a weak immune system. 3 variations of influenza. 4 years total. That basically amounts to catching it annually. Not probable, but very possible.

Cheers!

Last edited by Stasis: 09-27-2011 at 07:00 AM.
Old
09-27-2011, 07:00 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
I got the flu annually as a kid dude and I know other people like my own girlfriend even who also was very sick as a kid. My brother was the opposite and I think my pediatrician knew how to diagnose a flu bro.

That being said okay maybe sometimes it was 14 months apart or 16 but it was basically an annual thing. (If you really want to get into being exact about it I can't give you exact dates but no longer than 1.5 years at a time and as early as 1 year at a time is accurate. I know what a cold is and so does my doctor. I'm not even the type of person to go to the doctor unless I'm seriously ill and my parents aren't even the types to let me stay home for a cold or even bring me to the doctors for a cold. I wasn't one of those kids who could get away with faking too my mom would break out the thermometer lol)

I do agree with your points about the shot dude but trust me when you're young and have a bad immune system you can get the flu every 12-16 months easily. Like you mentioned there are different types of flu and with a bad immune system it means you're even more prone to those types. Having one won't necessarily strengthen your immune system against another.

Not denying it could even be an anomaly of some kind cause like I said now it's once every 3 years. I definitely had a **** immune system as a kid though. My girlfriend isn't even allowed to take antibiotics anymore unless it's something extremely serious, that's how many times she got antibiotics as a child.
Congrats on 17k Posts

Old
09-27-2011, 08:26 AM
Megaforce

Quote:
I got the flu annually as a kid .... My girlfriend isn't even allowed to take antibiotics anymore unless it's something extremely serious, that's how many times she got antibiotics as a child.
I don't know why they would give antibiotics for a flu. They kill bacteria, not viruses.

But there's no clear line between having a cold and a flu. Some colds are worse than mild flus. I read somewhere, perhaps wikipedia, that there are 101 strains of flu and once you get one you are immune to it, so theoretically those who had 'em a lot will be less vulnerable once they get older.

Old
09-27-2011, 08:41 AM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

All these "lower-body" injuries sound like signs of a poor stength & conditioning coach.

Old
09-27-2011, 08:51 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
All these "lower-body" injuries sound like signs of a poor stength & conditioning coach.
Or it sounds like typical pre-season injuries.

Old
09-27-2011, 08:55 AM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Or it sounds like typical pre-season injuries.
No. A good strength and conditioning coach is there to put in place proper exercises to avoid these types of injuries. Certain teams around the league that have good stength coaches, you'll rarely see this type of thing happen...

Old
09-27-2011, 08:57 AM
PricePkPatch

They mentioned Pacioretty and Subban this morning on 98,5. Someone tattletales them to Paul Arcand.

Somebody was listening?

Old
09-27-2011, 09:03 AM
Habs

Even when Markov's is ready, he's still a month behind the rest of the team.

Old
09-27-2011, 09:14 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

I was very encouraged by PG's comment that he finds it better to seize an opportunity in September than have to trade a draft pick or young player later in the season to acquire depth, which is what PG has done 2 years running.

I'll give credit where it's due, he may be growing in the job. Well done sir.

Old
09-27-2011, 09:26 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man View Post
Especially when it's actually the flu, and not a cold.

No, you didn't. I don't know you from a hole in the ground, but I will without a doubt 100% guarantee you that you did not get the flu annually. You may have gotten a COLD annually, but you absolutely did not get the flu every year.

Part of the problem with threads like these, or at least when the get to the topic of colds/flus is that too many people think they are the same thing. They aren't, not at all. Pretty much all the people who think they still get "the flu" after getting a flu shot, are referring to a cold, not the flu. People (primarily the elderly) can and do actually die from the Flu. If someone actually has the flu, it's absolutely understandable that they can't play a game of hockey. A cold? you can fight there that depending, but if it's the flu? unlikely.

Having a flu shot won't do squat to prevent you from getting a cold, and also it needs to be kept in mind that the flu shots that people are given are only done to protect you from that particular season's most likely and plentiful strain of the flu. There's many different strains and they are constantly mutating.

But no, (and I really don't mean this as any sort of shot at you), you did not have the flu annually as a kid. And absolutely, if someone actually has the flu, it's 100% understandable why they may miss some games.
You're correct in all of your points but flu shots aren't protective 100% of the time. Another thing: Influenza viruses can differ in their infectivity and symptoms as well as in their genetic makeup. As you know, some strains are deadlier than others. Finally, there are non-influenza viruses that can produce pulmonary infections, such as the RSV (respiratory syncytial virus) and the so-called avian flu.

Old
09-27-2011, 09:38 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
I don't know why they would give antibiotics for a flu. They kill bacteria, not viruses.

But there's no clear line between having a cold and a flu. Some colds are worse than mild flus. I read somewhere, perhaps wikipedia, that there are 101 strains of flu and once you get one you are immune to it, so theoretically those who had 'em a lot will be less vulnerable once they get older.
Oh my, there's a lot of misinformation in this thread! You're correct in stating that antibiotics are ineffective against viral infections but there are antiviral drugs that can lessen the severity of influenza infections. Also, although there are many flu strains several of them have similarities and in some cases previous infection with one strain may confer partial protection against another.

Interestingly, some flu symptoms aren't caused directly by the virus. They're caused by the antibodies released by the victim's immune system.

Old
09-27-2011, 09:39 AM
groovejuice

ArponBasu Arpon Basu
David Desharnais, Lars Eller, P.K. Subban practicing with #Habs this morning. No one appears to be wearing non-contact jerseys

Old
09-27-2011, 09:45 AM
Sam I Am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
I was very encouraged by PG's comment that he finds it better to seize an opportunity in September than have to trade a draft pick or young player later in the season to acquire depth, which is what PG has done 2 years running.

If PG had seized the opportunity in August rather than September he might have signed Scott Hannan at 1 million instead.

Old
09-27-2011, 09:46 AM
Bryson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post

That doesn't excuse PG for not re-signing hamrlik. That single decision will end up costing the habs their season... book it! What was he thinking? Hamrlik was the rock that held the defense together for this organization for the past couple of years. Was PG really expecting to rely on 2 D men coming off serious injuries, a couple of vets prone to brain farts who are only good in limited situations and a couple of rookies? Really? Oh well another wasted season... goodluck washington!

Old
09-27-2011, 09:48 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
ArponBasu Arpon Basu
David Desharnais, Lars Eller, P.K. Subban practicing with #Habs this morning. No one appears to be wearing non-contact jerseys
Thank you sir, I <3 Basu!!

Brings a ray of light into the day

Old
09-27-2011, 09:49 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
If PG had seized the opportunity in August rather than September he might have signed Scott Hannan at 1 million instead.
Ain't it a bummer that training camp and exhibitions are in September, eh?

Me too I like to see them start earlier!!!

Old
09-27-2011, 09:50 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Sure, if he was clairvoyant about setbacks Markov might have. Also, while Hannan would have been a good signing, Campoli is younger.

Old
09-27-2011, 10:17 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
If Scott Hannan was better than Campoli he wouldn't be signing for 1 mil. We already have a "Scott Hannan" his name is Hal Gill.

Old
09-27-2011, 11:00 AM
NLHabsFan

Quote:
ArponBasu Arpon Basu
This is great. I came to this thread to ask if anyone heard anything about Eller yet. Martin said he should be cleared for full contact this week. Hopefully at least one preseason game and than ready for Game 1. Need to get all the players healthy and this is a start.

Old
09-27-2011, 11:05 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
ArponBasu Arpon Basu
That's really good news, I really hope they get a game or both against Tampa and that Campoli gets some action as well

Old
09-27-2011, 11:43 AM
habsrule22

Quote:
ArponBasu Arpon Basu
looks like only question mark to start the season is Markov and White. Everyone should be good to go.

Old
09-27-2011, 11:44 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
looks like only question mark to start the season is Markov and White. Everyone should be good to go.
I think Eller is still a question mark. I would err on the side of caution, even if he misses a couple of early games.

Closed Thread