HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What changed?

Closed Thread

Old
10-16-2005, 12:23 PM
Fletch

vCash: 500
As opposed to...

guys under the age of 30 getting less than 12 minutes on a nightly basis at forward, and playing less than 1/3 the PP time? Injury prone? I think you can tick off a good deal of injury time to this team's main COGs. As for depth...that's true, although much of the depth is at the bottom six forwards, of which the team had depth in the form of career AHLers.

It does feel different, though, I'll admit that.

Old
10-16-2005, 01:10 PM
Stinkin' Root Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishman3579
If Sather had it in him to put together a team like this then why did it take so long? This is the team Sather coached/GM'd in Edmonton! Did he have to learn from his mistakes (all flash and no filling)? This team is 99% different than any Ranger team I have seen since the mid-90s?

This isn't hypothetical? I have been trying to put my finger on it but just can't see any real reason?

We have a coach that plays the players who earn time. We have a team full of young and hungry player. We have a GM that has seemed to get some gems that other teams gave up on.

My theory is, the year off gave him time to really see what he created. I am just surprised it turned around soo quickly. I am not saying we are going to win the cup but this team looks GREAT!

Maybe the last 7 yrs aren't Slats' fault as much a Jimmy Dolan's. The mistakes of the past are more indicative of someone ignorant of the game, unaware of how nuanced the game is and how much development goes into individual players and teams, picking out names he's simply heard of before and throwing money at them. Perhaps Glen just made all of those terrible moves bc he was getting enough money that it was worth doing whatever Dolan suggested. I simply can't see how any single person who's been around the professional game for as long as Glen has can be so explosively ******** for so long. It doesn't add up.

Old
10-16-2005, 02:44 PM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER
any sort of comparison. That team lacked depth at every position, it was based on an over aged leader and an injury prone center piece. The comparisons couldn't be further off and unjustified.

I'm not saying this team will make the playoffs. What I am saying is that this team plays with a purpose and an effort unseen in over a decade.

It's through six games! You mean to tell me that there haven't been stretches of time in the past seven years where we haven't seen some good efforts?

We're still not playing 60 minutes of good hockey. We're playing 35 or 40, and capitalizing on missed opportunities by the opposition. We start hard, then relax, then pick it up and then coast towards the end of the game.

Is the Washington game so far out of sight that we no longer consider it relevant? That's a perfect example of a team exploiting our weaknesses by capitalizing on our mistakes; when we let up, they pounced. As long as we continue to play 35-40 minutes a game, we're leaving ourselves open to taking a loss. And, that my friend, is no different than any other point in time during the last 7 years.

Old
10-16-2005, 02:46 PM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
It does feel different, though, I'll admit that.
I do agree, that this time feels different. I also think the fans at the Garden realize it too. However, we all need to sit back and wait a while. This exuberance could very well pass, just like it has at other times in our long drought.

It feels different but this sudden reversal of fortunes seems all-to-familiar if you know what I mean.

Old
10-16-2005, 03:12 PM
kickice

Send a message via MSN to kickice
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER
I'm not saying this team will make the playoffs. What I am saying is that this team plays with a purpose and an effort unseen in over a decade.

Exactly.

I'm not getting carried away with the start, but I am enjoying it. I'm enjoying feeling proud of the team. I'm enjoying having players here who are wearing the jersey with pride.

I don't think we have the strength in depth to take us down the stretch and into the playoffs. I think that it will be asking an awful lot of our younger and inexperienced players who just aren't used to such a long season, in a quicker tougher league. And its not just the rookies who aren't used to it, it's players like Hossa and Betts as well, who haven't played full NHL seasons. We have about 8 players on this team who've never seen through a full NHL regular season.

For me - progress this year would be to see this team carry on it's great work ethic, and to see our players progress and carry on learning. And a few good wins along the way against stronger teams, as we are already getting, will be progress as well.

Closed Thread