HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The "Duchene vs. Tavares" Debate

Old
09-27-2011, 11:21 AM
KH1

vCash: 500
I don't think that it's so ridiculous to prefer Duchene to Tavares. Duchene's a phenomenal skater, he's got very good hands (way better than "decent,") and by all accounts he's a natural born leader and a future captain.

If I had the choice, I'd take Tavares 10 times out of 10. I love Tavares.

But Duchene is a hell of a player as well, and he's going to be a star in this league.

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 11:58 AM
IslesandHawks

Gotta say I'm leaning pretty strongly to the who gives a ***** side... we have what we have and they have what they have. Can't anyone be happy with what they have?

IslesandHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 01:17 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
There's a poll in the poll section, and a majority of people chose Tavares, but you HAVE to see what some morons are saying. That Duchene is better, a better all around player, has a better shot, etc.

It's hilarity
they say its because of his skating........If you watched Tavares from year one to now his skating has improved tremendously

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 01:21 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
Moulson is a very comparable player to Hejduk at this point in their careers, and the Islanders secondary scoring drew a lot of top checking assignments due to Grabner's breakout. Also, the Islanders outscored the Avalanche (slightly). The linemates/team argument is pretty weak here and the two both put the same number of points and led their team in scoring by very similar margins. They absolutely are comparable players and neither has done enough to really pull away as decidedly better at this point.
I love Moulson but you could make the argument that hes only a 30 goal scorer because he plays with JT....

Moulson goes to the dirty areas and has a sweet release, but Tavares has made some sick passes for Mouson to score....

If you watch this kid play you see that he has a gift of knowing whats going to happen next....he reads the Puck and players on the Ice like nobody I have seen...

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 01:51 PM
DoggyOnDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesandHawks View Post
Gotta say I'm leaning pretty strongly to the who gives a ***** side... we have what we have and they have what they have. Can't anyone be happy with what they have?
couldnt agree more ... we wanted JT and got him... they wanted MD and got him... really it was a win win for both orgs...

DoggyOnDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 01:59 PM
IslandersFan17

Points are not the story. LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION!!!! When the points are put up, how the points are put up, the situations points where put up, etc...

Tavares is obviously the superior talent. Not to say Duchene is not a very gifted athlete/hockey player. I mean I don't think anyone could have been upset had Duchene been the choice. However, Tavares was the correct choice and furthermore, the commitment Tavares has shown to the Islanders makes that point even more accurate.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 02:00 PM
JeffNYI

Up until this point I don't think either player has shown themselves to be the clear-cut better player.

But I've got the feeling like this will be the year that John Tavares begins to elevate himself above Duchesne's status in the NHL. To the point where in two more years trying to say the two are comparable will be a total joke.

JeffNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 02:14 PM
Original Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH1 View Post
I don't think that it's so ridiculous to prefer Duchene to Tavares. Duchene's a phenomenal skater, he's got very good hands (way better than "decent,") and by all accounts he's a natural born leader and a future captain.

If I had the choice, I'd take Tavares 10 times out of 10. I love Tavares.

But Duchene is a hell of a player as well, and he's going to be a star in this league.
This.

Original Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 11:11 AM
Fantom

They are both solid players. They are both also Very young and should get better as the years pass.
Right now i think JT is a better player however i do not get to see MD play to often.
So it is hard to say. Like one other poster said points never tell the enitre story.
Bith of these guys will be in the NHL for years to come and they will both have good NHL carears.

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 11:48 AM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffNYI View Post
Up until this point I don't think either player has shown themselves to be the clear-cut better player.

But I've got the feeling like this will be the year that John Tavares begins to elevate himself above Duchesne's status in the NHL. To the point where in two more years trying to say the two are comparable will be a total joke.
This.

And why does everyone get labeled a star in this league, or so it seems? Duchene has 67 points, no argument can convince me otherwise that he didn't get spoonfed points by playing with experienced linemates in his first year.. while Tavares plays with crap and gives one a 1.25 million extension and the other, Matt Moulson, a household name and earns him a nice little extension.

These are the marks of star players. Great, Duchene's shifty, he was also spoonfed top 6 minutes with Rick Nash at the Junior championship while Tavares lead the entire team playing on this third line.

This comparison is ****ing stupid, and I can't wait for it to end in the near future. Nobody is saying Duchene isn't a quality player, but comparing him to someone like JT who has superstar potential and has shown glimpses of such, will look extremely ridiculous in just a few years, maybe even this year.

I can't even go back to that poll, because Duchene is more agile? Really? Did Tavares not single handedly beat the Avalanche in OT last year? Did he not show agility by separating from not one, but two defenders and even a backchecking DUCHENE?

If Duchene is such a phenomenal skater, than why hasn't that helped him separate in points from Tavares?

Skating, while a plus, is also not an exact science and is oftentimes, overrated. If going by what all of you are saying, I'll just take Grabner over Duchene for the good-decent hands and phenomenal, shifty skating ability.

Are you going to take Grabner over Tavares? No? I didn't think so.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 12:21 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
If Duchene is such a phenomenal skater, than why hasn't that helped him separate in points from Tavares?

Skating, while a plus, is also not an exact science and is oftentimes, overrated. If going by what all of you are saying, I'll just take Grabner over Duchene for the good-decent hands and phenomenal, shifty skating ability.

I really love that Grabner's game is SO much different than JT's. They're like polar opposites.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 12:44 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Obviously, no. Children have to fight over who has the better toy.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 01:48 PM
redbull
game on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Obviously, no. Children have to fight over who has the better toy.
The both have Easy Bake Ovens....but Duchene has a pink one, Tavares has a blue and orange one.

(I like both players a great deal, both will have stellar careers, both are players you can win with)

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 01:58 PM
Bauer Warrior*

I think that the Tavares v. Duchene argument can best be summed up this way:

When you consider our desperate need for name recognition, an offensive force, and a guy (who I compare to Ron Francis) who a team can be built around, John Tavares is the unequivocal right player for the Islanders.

When you consider what defined the Avalanche when they first got to Colorado; speed and finesse, the got the unequivocal right player in Matt Duchene.

I'm not complaining, and I can assure you that Avalanche fans are not complaining. I'm glad that we can have this argument, and not the, "We should have taken Duchene" argument. Right, Scott LaChance?

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 02:02 PM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
NO! I DON'T WANNA! (In my best Peter Griffin voice. Which I must concede, is pretty good)

Old
09-28-2011, 02:37 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
This.

And why does everyone get labeled a star in this league, or so it seems? Duchene has 67 points, no argument can convince me otherwise that he didn't get spoonfed points by playing with experienced linemates in his first year.. while Tavares plays with crap and gives one a 1.25 million extension and the other, Matt Moulson, a household name and earns him a nice little extension.

These are the marks of star players. Great, Duchene's shifty, he was also spoonfed top 6 minutes with Rick Nash at the Junior championship while Tavares lead the entire team playing on this third line.

This comparison is ****ing stupid, and I can't wait for it to end in the near future. Nobody is saying Duchene isn't a quality player, but comparing him to someone like JT who has superstar potential and has shown glimpses of such, will look extremely ridiculous in just a few years, maybe even this year.

I can't even go back to that poll, because Duchene is more agile? Really? Did Tavares not single handedly beat the Avalanche in OT last year? Did he not show agility by separating from not one, but two defenders and even a backchecking DUCHENE?

This spells out the whole skating debate - Tavares has the brains and focus which gets the puck where it has to go better than wheels. Thankfully, JT's got pretty good wheels, and I hope he can surpass Tim Kerr's goal totals.

(for youngin's, he was slower than a dead turtle but managed 4 50 goal seasons - almost 5)

OlTimeHockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 03:01 PM
GusTheo

What's Duchenes contract situation like? Maybe we can get him to come play on the Island with JT

GusTheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 05:37 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusTheo View Post
What's Duchenes contract situation like? Maybe we can get him to come play on the Island with JT
I'd like to start the official "Duchene always wanted to live in Great Neck" rumor (or any arbitrary village) to pepper the Avs board with.

Do we have the deluded media outlets to support such innuendo? I think not, unfortunately.

OlTimeHockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 09:01 AM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
I love Moulson but you could make the argument that hes only a 30 goal scorer because he plays with JT....

Moulson goes to the dirty areas and has a sweet release, but Tavares has made some sick passes for Mouson to score....

If you watch this kid play you see that he has a gift of knowing whats going to happen next....he reads the Puck and players on the Ice like nobody I have seen...
Have you watched Duchene play? Hejduk is benefitting from playing on Duchene's line also. At this point in their careers, I would actually say Moulson is a better player than Hejduk.

I'm not trying to diminish what Tavares does, I love the kid's play. But people are really diminishing the fact that Duchene has been outstanding also, and so far has matched JT in overall play.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 09:35 AM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
There's a poll in the poll section, and a majority of people chose Tavares, but you HAVE to see what some morons are saying. That Duchene is better, a better all around player, has a better shot, etc.

It's hilarity
A poll in the poll section? A POLL IN THE POLL SECTION??? How weird and scary!!!

Old
09-29-2011, 10:10 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer Warrior View Post
A poll in the poll section? A POLL IN THE POLL SECTION??? How weird and scary!!!
Shh.

I don't get it, it's not like Isles fans have said Duchene sucks. It's just that he doesn't have the capabilities - offensively - that Tavares has. Why is that so difficult for Avs fans to grasp?

And don't get mad at me for starting this thread. I'm just trying to figure out where these insane comments come from, like that Duchene is a more "agile" hockey player.

Yeah, okay.

Old
09-29-2011, 10:12 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
Have you watched Duchene play? Hejduk is benefitting from playing on Duchene's line also. At this point in their careers, I would actually say Moulson is a better player than Hejduk.

I'm not trying to diminish what Tavares does, I love the kid's play. But people are really diminishing the fact that Duchene has been outstanding also, and so far has matched JT in overall play.
Really Seph? Hejduk was a great player before Duchene, and Duchene hasn't resurrected or given Milan any sort of career year. Tavares turned Moulson into a 30G, household name for the Isles and helped Parenteau earn 50+ points in his first full year in the NHL.

Old
09-30-2011, 09:20 AM
Isles4ever11

Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
LOL at this thread. Just LOL.

They will both be stars. I really couldn't care less what Joe the Plumber thinks in Richmond, VA.

Isles4ever11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 07:59 PM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Duchene potential star Tavares future superstar . This is how I see it.

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 08:48 PM
PAZ

Quote:
This.

Your hate on Duchene is strong.

Right now they're comparable players, regardless if you think who had harder assignments, worse line-mates, etc. I don't know why you're getting so overworked about a poll on an online forum. Does it bother you that much? They are both going to be great players who will continue to develop.

Players get points because they compliment each other. Do you think St. Louis would've got that many assists without Stamkos, and vice versa? They fed off of each other, which made both of them better. You can argue Tavares played with worse line mates, but it also depends on the chemistry of the line. Burrows by no means first line talent, but he has great chemistry with the Sedins and fills that role. Look at Heatley in San Jose, he was suppose to be a 50+ goal scorer with Thornton feeding him the puck, but they had no chemistry so it didn't work out.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote