HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ex-Amerk faces up to 20 years in pot case

Old
09-27-2011, 02:16 PM
Whammer

vCash: 500
Ex-Amerk faces up to 20 years in pot case

Caught this in the Police & Courts section of todays TBN.

Quote:
ROCHESTER—Sean McMorrow, a former enforcer for the Rochester Americans of the American Hockey League, pleaded guilty Monday to conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute and distributing marijuana.

U. S. Attorney William J. Hochul Jr. said McMorrow, 29, of Toronto, faces up to 20 years in prison, a fine of up to $1 million, or both, when he is sentenced Jan. 11 before U. S. District Judge David G. Larimer. McMorrow, who played for the Amerks from 2003 through 2006, imported large quantities of marijuana inside hockey bags during much of that time from Canada into the United States over the Rainbow Bridge in Niagara Falls, according to Assistant U. S. Attorneys Brett A. Harvey and Douglas E. Gregory.

McMorrow also used various individuals, including two women, as drug couriers, Hochul said.

Whammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 02:20 PM
WoahBoy
Uhmmmmm....SECHS!

Heh. Ehhh, can't say I'm too surprised after talking to a certain AHL mascot who claimed to be good friends with him. That sucks though.

WoahBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 02:24 PM
heartsabres*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoahBoy View Post
Heh. Ehhh, can't say I'm too surprised after talking to a certain AHL mascot who claimed to be good friends with him. That sucks though.
Was that before or after this happened? I am not surprised after talking to the mascot too

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 02:26 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Didn't McMorrow also have the issue of being caught stealing from the lockerroom too?

09-27-2011, 02:31 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Using your hockey bag during game trips to import weed into the US. Awesome.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 02:54 PM
Kruschiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammer View Post
What a waste of money.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 02:55 PM
joshjull

I'm not really a fan of our nations laws as they pertain to marijuana. To me this is a pointless waste of our tax dollars.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 03:08 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
not suprised. I remember him well though. He beat Chris Neil once probably the highlight of hhis very short NHL career..

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 03:11 PM
Lottery Oilers*
Nuge is Cobra

lol 20 years for selling weed?

Gotta keep those prisons full $$$

Lottery Oilers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 03:15 PM
sk8haggard9

20 years for distributing a non-harmful, medicinally based plant is a little much. Its a nonviolent crime, yet he could sit for a quarter of his life behind bars. Something is wrong with this picture. Not to get too much into politics, but marijuana prohibition really needs to end. Far too many innocent people sitting behind bars, completely stripped of their freedom...

sk8haggard9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 03:23 PM
Kruschiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8haggard9 View Post
Its a nonviolent crime
While I'll be the first to say that marijuana laws need modernizing, I don't think you can call it nonviolent. Have you seen what is going on in Mexico?

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 03:29 PM
sk8haggard9

Quote:
Originally Posted by schadenfreude View Post
While I'll be the first to say that marijuana laws need modernizing, I don't think you can call it nonviolent. Have you seen what is going on in Mexico?
I guess I was looking at the crime in its base form, on a general scale, as if prohibition was taken away. Then there would be no need for a black market... And no in turn, no violence.

sk8haggard9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 03:34 PM
Sundinisagod
next great swede

Quote:
Originally Posted by schadenfreude View Post
It's the politician's drug laws that create the violence...legalize the MJ and the violence associated with it no longer exists.

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 03:37 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1664
It seems like a disproportionate number of enforcer types have a difficult time fitting into society. While brain injury is a factor, I think the main reason is cultural. These guys are encouraged from an early age and later paid to do things on the ice that would land them in jail off the ice.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 03:56 PM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

Unbelievable 20 years for possessing an herb with intent to distribute...Just legalize it already...It sucks people have to end up in jail for this....And a LONG time at that....
Why do I think he would turn out to be a better person being part of society for the next 20 years while smoking pot...Rather than being incarcerated and not smoking pot ?

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 04:13 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGrinder View Post
lol 20 years for selling weed?

Gotta keep those prisons full $$$
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8haggard9 View Post
20 years for distributing a non-harmful, medicinally based plant is a little much. Its a nonviolent crime, yet he could sit for a quarter of his life behind bars. Something is wrong with this picture. Not to get too much into politics, but marijuana prohibition really needs to end. Far too many innocent people sitting behind bars, completely stripped of their freedom...

Well, I don't know a ton of details about this case, or the laws involved, 20 years and a million bucks is the maximum sentence but it's not necessarily what the sentence will be and that may not be what McMorrow serves.

These types of stories always report the maximum sentence. What percentage of convicted criminals actually receive and serve the maximum? It can't be that high.

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 04:17 PM
MyersMagic57*

Anyone else think our government and its laws are as inconsistent as Campbell's suspensions last year?

I mean seriously, I've used it for about a year straight. I've actually seen my self as a nicer more mature person and less likely to do anything stupid. My grades have gone up and I feel as if I am a happier person. So why the hell does this man get 20 years in jail, when the rioters after SCF game 7 will at most get maybe a year. Something doesn't make sense here

Last edited by MyersMagic57*: 09-27-2011 at 04:26 PM.
MyersMagic57* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 04:24 PM
Megaera

That must have been a lot of weed.

And yeah, the reason there's violence around the marijuana trade is that it's illegal. I don't think it's all that different from alcohol (although it does have more medicinal value) and don't think it's particularly logical that it's treated differently.

Megaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 04:38 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyersMagic57 View Post
Anyone else think our government and its laws are as inconsistent as Campbell's suspensions last year?

I mean seriously, I've used it for about a year straight. I've actually seen my self as a nicer more mature person and less likely to do anything stupid. My grades have gone up and I feel as if I am a happier person. So why the hell does this man get 20 years in jail, when the rioters after SCF game 7 will at most get maybe a year. Something doesn't make sense here
They say marijuana clouds your judgement...

(is there an "irony" smiley?)

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 04:42 PM
MyersMagic57*

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
They say marijuana clouds your judgement...

(is there an "irony" smiley?)
They also say Marijuana can cause Schizophrenia. I could go on, but if you want to know the truth, watch the documentary called the Union. Kind of funny how we still fund Above the Influence to spit out complete lies about marijuana.

MyersMagic57* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 04:53 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Considering something I heard about the guy (an association with someone I despise), I'm not surprised.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 05:50 PM
glassjaw*

Maybe the government should stop putting drugs in the ghetto.

glassjaw* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 05:59 PM
Fire Me
Cleared, BUT NOT OUT

20 years for nothing, well that's nothing new, besides...

No one's interested in something you didn't do

Fire Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 06:05 PM
fightclubber25

lol a buddy of mine from high school was one of his "partners" at one point. you'd be surprised the names i've heard being affiliated with that sort of thing. athletes, hockey players in particular, bring a lot of drug business to the cities they play in. fortunately i never got involved with any of that crap. once i realized how much better the day doesnt feel when im high i walked away from all that nonsense and never looked back. no problem with it, but by no means does it make anything except maybe playing halo better.

anyways, 20 years.. is a joke. he will probably get like 9 months and probation.

fightclubber25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 06:08 PM
WoahBoy
Uhmmmmm....SECHS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
Was that before or after this happened? I am not surprised after talking to the mascot too
Way before. I was at an AHL All Star game a couple years ago messing with Hammy (the Rockford IceHogs mascot), saying how I loved Sean (because he was on the team for a short while around that time), and next thing you know he waves for me to come up to him. Next thing you know, we're striking up a conversation about how Sean's his boy and everything, and uhhh, let's just say he didn't want to do anything that involved hockey.

WoahBoy is offline   Reply With Quote