HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So the question now becomes ...

Closed Thread

Old
10-14-2005, 05:10 AM
Amen evil king
Amen, Evil King

vCash: 500
So the question now becomes ...

.. how good is Prucha going to become? Listened to the first period and a half and he sounded pretty awesome out there. HF has only got his upside as a 3rd liner, but I suspect that may change next time the rankings are updated... Has he got the type of skillset that could really thrive in the 'new' NHL?

Loving the new-look Rangers by the way, there's nothing better than an 'easy-beat' leading the 'toughest division in the NHL'. The personnel and style of play you guys have really makes the Rangers a team that's surprisingly easy to root for.

Old
10-14-2005, 05:33 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehtonen32
.. how good is Prucha going to become? Listened to the first period and a half and he sounded pretty awesome out there. HF has only got his upside as a 3rd liner, but I suspect that may change next time the rankings are updated... Has he got the type of skillset that could really thrive in the 'new' NHL?

Loving the new-look Rangers by the way, there's nothing better than an 'easy-beat' leading the 'toughest division in the NHL'. The personnel and style of play you guys have really makes the Rangers a team that's surprisingly easy to root for.
Point-totals as a meassure to guess how good a player will be is kind of pointless right now, last season a player where top 20 with under 70 points. Who knows what people will get in the future.

Anyway I don't think Prucha ever will be a elite(top15-20) scorer, not even in a "Tanguay" enviorment. But I think he could be a really good complimentary player.

I've talked about all summer how important it will be to have atleast one forward on all lines who plays great hockey from a few feets into his own zone to a few feets into the attacking zone. Thats the biggest effect removing the redline had in Europe and everything points at that it will have the same impact in the NHL.

We had that last night in Nylander, Rucinsky and Straka and I didn't watch the game last night but it sure sounded like it payed off. Thoose guys aren't good defensivly but they come deep into their own zone on a regular basis and when they get the puck they know exactly what to do with it in the transition game. They get the puck safe out of danger and starts a controlled counter attack. Compare this with how it looked before the redline was removed, it was all about getting the puck out of the zone by shooting it allong the board and chase. Look at Calgary in last years PO, I don't think they once executed a controlled transition play from their own end to the attacking blueline. Almost every time Nylander gets the puck the other team is forced to backcheck all the way deep into their own zone and play sharp defensivly. A team that is able to do this on a regular basis is really tough physically to play against. Sure guys like John Madden is great on the backcheck, but really how many times per game last season where he forced to packcheck all the way from deep into the attacking zone to deep into the defensive zone? Most of the times NJD broke up the plays before the redline. My guess is that Madden last night was forced to skate atleast twice as much then he would have with the old rules. In the end that takes its toll.

If you look at the stretches we have dominated in games they occur when the other team starts lifting the puck out and we plays a controlled transition game.

Prucha doesn't have much experience but it where in this areas that he played his best hockey in the international game and I am sure it will come with time in the NHL. If he on top of that can ship in with somewhere around 25 goals and 35 assists he would be a lock on most teams top 2 lines if the game pans out as I think it will!

Last edited by Ola: 10-14-2005 at 05:43 AM.
Old
10-14-2005, 06:49 AM
Fletch

Tough to say...

I wouldn't have said awesome, and that's coming from one of his newist, bggest advocates. He looked good, but the line seemed out of it - mostly Jagr didn't seem interested in the game. Had a couple lazy penalties. Nylander's lost when he doesn't show. Prucha kept it simple with his Theo Fleury imitation, as well as drawing a couple penalties, but seemed to be pressing a little bit. He almost looks as though he'd be better in Hossa's position, and Hossa in his. Hossa's better on the rush, and Prucha, surprisingly, is better on the cycle. I won't project what he can become. He's got the tools and the desire. I'm just hopefully going to enjoy him play.

Old
10-14-2005, 08:17 AM
Levitate

eh, i've gotten the feeling that jagr's line is better suited to the cycle though than to the rush. a guy like nylander is really good at protecting the puck and looking for the open man, jagr is strong on the boards and looks to get into position to use his shot...i think prucha fits into that fine since he attacks the puck relentlessly and cycles well, and can get into shooting position and find the seams.

i don't think the line looked bad, and would give it a couple more games at least

Old
10-14-2005, 08:21 AM
Fletch

It may...

Prucha does know how to go to the net and he does know how to get positioning for a rebound/deflection. It just seemed that in other games, Prucha was a bit more active, as opposed to this game where he sought Jagr too often. Hopefully he gets comfortable and relaxes a bit on that line.

Old
10-14-2005, 08:42 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
Prucha does know how to go to the net and he does know how to get positioning for a rebound/deflection. It just seemed that in other games, Prucha was a bit more active, as opposed to this game where he sought Jagr too often. Hopefully he gets comfortable and relaxes a bit on that line.
That was one of the criticism with Prucha when he played with Jagr in the World championships for Czech Republic - he deferred to Jagr to a fault.

Old
10-14-2005, 09:03 AM
Fletch

Everybody does...

whether it's Straka on the PP, or Nylander at even strength, it just doesn't matter.

Old
10-14-2005, 09:26 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
whether it's Straka on the PP, or Nylander at even strength, it just doesn't matter.
The solution is, of course, to trade Jagr for two #1 picks and two prospects.

Old
10-14-2005, 09:44 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
The solution is, of course, to trade Jagr for two #1 picks and two prospects.
Amen brother.

Old
10-15-2005, 11:36 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
Amen brother.
I agree as well - are there fans on other boards saying "go get Jagr from the Rangers - whatever the cost?" Or is this wishful thinking on our part? (Not that any posters' opinions really matter anyway - I'm just curious.)

Old
10-15-2005, 11:46 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangerFan
I agree as well - are there fans on other boards saying "go get Jagr from the Rangers - whatever the cost?" Or is this wishful thinking on our part? (Not that any posters' opinions really matter anyway - I'm just curious.)
haven't really spent much time in the other boards, so i can't say. but i truly believe that Jagr is the best value in Hockey. come the trade deadline there will be teams interested in him as they will only need about a million in cap space to accommodate him. plus, since he's got a couple years left on his deal he's not just a playoff rental. the question becomes, are the Rangers willing to deal their only draw to MSG to strengthen their long term outlook?

Old
10-15-2005, 11:55 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangerFan
(Not that any posters' opinions really matter anyway - I'm just curious.)
That's the key. I have no doubt there are a couple of GMs interested; there will be more as GMs assess their teams. A number will definitely conclude that a top offensive threat is what they need.

Here's the thing. If the Rangers maintain a .500 pace, they'll be in the hunt for a playoff spot, and Jagr will be going nowhere. The people who wish to trade Jagr to speed the rebuilding must realize that management will not do that unless the team is out of playoff contention.

Old
10-15-2005, 04:17 PM
eco's bones

Apart from maybe Lundqvist Prucha is the new guy I'm most interested in. He's just getting his feet wet---so it's hard to say just how good he's going to be. He seems to be built and have some of the skills of an Alfredsson. One of the knocks on him that I've heard though is he's not a great finisher. That still remains to be seen. He seems to have a good shot. He's very active in the offensive zone either forechecking or constantly moving trying to get open for a pass or a shot. He's not afraid to go into the corners or the slot.

On Jagr--if we're in range of a playoff spot at the deadline I don't think he'll go anywhere. It's more likely that it will be prospects of some sort going somewhere else for quick fix vets. That could be very bad.

Old
10-16-2005, 12:10 AM
broadwayblue

it's funny though, that i actually think they are starting to get it right. i don't see them adding any quick fix vets come the deadline, unless they can be got for real cheap...and with no youth going the other way. everyone knows that this is not our year to win it all, and i don't see them sacrificing a possibly bright future just to end the playoff drought.

Old
10-16-2005, 11:57 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
i don't see them adding any quick fix vets come the deadline, unless they can be got for real cheap.
Agreed. IMO they'll stand pat at the trade deadline if a playoff spot is in play. Personally I think that a bad thing. If you're rebuilding, rebuild. Don't stand pat; it accomplishes nothing.

Old
10-16-2005, 12:17 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
Agreed. IMO they'll stand pat at the trade deadline if a playoff spot is in play. Personally I think that a bad thing. If you're rebuilding, rebuild. Don't stand pat; it accomplishes nothing.
yeah, as much as it would be nice to be in the running for a playoff spot, it could be a bad thing for this team. how can they be big sellers at the deadline if the post season is in their grasp? we should really be looking to dump Jagr, rucinsky, straka, rucchin, etc. to load up on draft picks and solid prospects. one more solid draft and this team could be well on its way.

Old
10-16-2005, 04:14 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Make the playoffs why would you want to do that?

This team has to lose a lot this season or the year is a waste of time. Missing the playoffs for 7 straight years really improved the team. I wish we could lose everygame.

Closed Thread