HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

NHL says it won't take action against Simmonds or Avery

Old
09-27-2011, 11:55 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Would you tell a gay person that the "f" word isn't as offensive? It doesn't matter who suffered more, hate is hate. By the way, gays were rounded up and killed by the Nazis so I think they had it fairly bad. Hell they still are being denied their civil rights today and many still fear coming out. How would you feel to be a gay hockey player too terrified to come out because slurs were regularly used in the locker room and on the ice? How would you like to have your sexuality used as an insult and demeaned on a regular basis? Because the odds are there are players going through that in the NHL right now.
Bettman should have one of these and then donate the proceeds to all the various advocacy groups. But seriously..again not condoning the slurs just that the league has to weigh their actions when it comes to trying to clean the game up. The burden of proof is on them to fairly judge intent if they want to actually punish players and dock pay and like I said in the Simmonds case it's not going to be that clear cut.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 11:56 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

The word Simmonds used is also a word for firewood. He could have been calling Avery a piece of effing firewood.

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 11:59 AM
trigzter

well if you putting it like that he could have been calling avery a cigarette

trigzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 12:00 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigzter View Post
well if you putting it like that he could have been calling avery a cigarette
that's right, that's slang from England

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 12:03 PM
trigzter

if anyone watches south park, he could have been calling him an obnoxious harley rider

trigzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 12:40 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

Simmonds is wrong to have said it, and it's really stupid that the word has become so prevalent--it doesn't need to be. I talked **** when I played hockey--I'm sure all of us did--but I can honestly say that I never said it, especially since there are so many other things to call/say to someone.

All that being said, the thing that makes me most mad is that Avery has gone public with it. If it was another player, I probably wouldn't think much of it, but Avery here is just setting the table for pissing Simmonds off in the future. His complaining publicly is just an extension of his on-ice BS, and I don't think it's right to use such a politically-charged subject for his own gain.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 01:11 PM
Damaged Goods

The "f-word" has become an all-purpose pejorative along the lines of "p.o.s.", "a-hole", or "mf-er". I feel like GLAAD and others are missing the point and pushing the debate backwards when they insist that use of the word must be homophobic, rather than run-of-the-mill profanity for "person I want to insult." It's almost like every time someone publicly uses this word, even as an all-purpose insult, GLAAD has to hop up and say, "HEY, THAT MEANS US!!!" It's as if they refuse to let go of the word, which is a derogatory barb that does not even have its origins in homophobic speech.

Profane? Yes. Pejorative? Yes. Derogatory? Yes. Insulting? Yes. But why insist that this word must always be a homophobic slur, when recent usage shows the word is escaping this meaning?

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 01:29 PM
peacepipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
The "f-word" has become an all-purpose pejorative along the lines of "p.o.s.", "a-hole", or "mf-er". I feel like GLAAD and others are missing the point and pushing the debate backwards when they insist that use of the word must be homophobic, rather than run-of-the-mill profanity for "person I want to insult." It's almost like every time someone publicly uses this word, even as an all-purpose insult, GLAAD has to hop up and say, "HEY, THAT MEANS US!!!" It's as if they refuse to let go of the word, which is a derogatory barb that does not even have its origins in homophobic speech.

Profane? Yes. Pejorative? Yes. Derogatory? Yes. Insulting? Yes. But why insist that this word must always be a homophobic slur, when recent usage shows the word is escaping this meaning?
I agree...I don't get how it the meaning evolved once but cant change twice...I started using the word as a kid before even knowing the meanings behind it, its just a word alot of people use and in most cases not to demean anyone group of people

peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 01:33 PM
Cmoneyflyguy

avery has opened pandora's box.
the stuff that is said nightly on the ice would get everyone fined.
He's such a little *****.

Is it safe to say avery will be fined for death threats?

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 01:46 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

I don't see how they can fine Simmonds for telling Avery the truth.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 02:08 PM
BringBackStevens

This whole thing really is a mirror of avery's BS on ice antics. 99% of players would brush it off in the media but he basically advocated taking action on Simmonds. Just like on the ice when he runs his mouth and turns to the authorities to bail him out. His schtick is getting tired.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 02:08 PM
Cmoneyflyguy

Stolen from another forum

BREAKING: Philadelphia Police Department to investigate Avery's death threats #heatofthemoment #tattletales

What grinds my gears is that he cried to the media.
such a ******* ******

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 02:30 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Brian Burke wants action on alleged slur

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/stor...ry-was-slurred

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 02:48 PM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

They only care because they saw the word being said. That's sad, but it's life.

Very little people think about the hundreds of dogs abused or killed each day, but when we see a video of someone committing the act THEN it's a huge issue (at least for a couple days then it's old news).

Pathetic, but again, this is how people work.

EDIT: I agree with the fine though, if it's caught on camera then the league has to do something or they will look homophobic to the public.

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 02:59 PM
DickTony

This is ridiculous. I'm sure no one's ever been called a ****** during a hockey game before. Get the **** outta here. Sean Avery got punked and took the coward's route yet again.

DickTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 03:06 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
It's called having pride in who you are. It doesn't matter what the haters say.

I'm white with brownish/red hair.

If you think for one second that I would run to the media over being called a "cracker" and a "ginger" you better rethink.
This is seriously the worst post I've ever seen on these forums. Get back to me when you are regularly discriminated against over your white skin and brownish red hair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post

Are you seriously that naive? The whole point of calling someone that word is to imply that they are less of a man by calling them gay.

Now I don't think everyone that says it are homophobic because sadly it is all too common, but the word is meant to use homosexuality as an insult.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 03:09 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Next in hockey. To get rid of the word p****. It might make the victim sad because it is offensive to women and transvestites everywhere!

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 03:10 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
This is seriously the worst post I've ever seen on these forums. Get back to me when you are regularly discriminated against over your white skin and brownish red hair.

Are you seriously that naive? The whole point of calling someone that word is to imply that they are less of a man by calling them gay.

Now I don't think everyone that says it are homophobic because sadly it is all too common, but the word is meant to use homosexuality as an insult.
I dont know where you are from, but honestly, where I am from, it is not used in that context. It is more of just an insult with no meaning used. We had a discussion of this in my sociology class, and about 99% of the class agreed with this.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 03:11 PM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

Quote:

The word wasn't made to insult gay people, it evolved into that meaning and in today's time it is evolving into what the poster you quoted was saying. In ten years time, the word might completely evolve away from being homophobic.

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 03:20 PM
BroadStreetBully88

Wow this is absurd...what is said on the ice should stay there...I guess every player should now require a tampon as part of their uniform. Also I find it funny that Brian Burke only wants to see wayne punished because he has a gay son. Finally it is insane to even speak with simmonds after what happened to him last week with the banana incident, the way he handled that was amazing he could've called out the nhl or pulled the race card on hockey as a sport but he gave hockey a respectable answer and really took a lot of the pressure off of the nhl for the incident.

BroadStreetBully88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 03:23 PM
sliceOFtrance

What excalty did he say? it cant be just the one word people say every now and then is it? someone please send me a PM of what he said, thanks.

sliceOFtrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 03:41 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
Stolen from another forum

BREAKING: Philadelphia Police Department to investigate Avery's death threats #heatofthemoment #tattletales

What grinds my gears is that he cried to the media.
such a ******* ******
Holy Ish, i forgot about that. That was so heard by everyone watching the game. How come that isnt an issue?

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 04:39 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Bettman should have one of these and then donate the proceeds to all the various advocacy groups. But seriously..again not condoning the slurs just that the league has to weigh their actions when it comes to trying to clean the game up. The burden of proof is on them to fairly judge intent if they want to actually punish players and dock pay and like I said in the Simmonds case it's not going to be that clear cut.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 04:43 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

Avery, the biggest ****** alive.

Come at me NHL.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 04:56 PM
Devonator

This is getting dangerous and the brain washing of people is horrifying....has anyone here not read 1984 .....people, you DO not have the right not to be offended in a free society...the *** word is uttered between sports players and regular society on a frequent basis.....so what....if someone calls me a big stupid Irish Mick I do not go running to the police....the real scary problem is that how many people will disagree with me in the name of false tolerance.....

Devonator is offline   Reply With Quote