Texas Stars (AHL) Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
08-19-2011, 12:41 PM
txomisc

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Trevor Ludwig has been invited to the Blue Jackets' training camp and will attend. Seems as though he's not in the Stars' plans.
i thought our resident ahl expert said trevor ludwig was some sort of hockey god

Old
09-02-2011, 12:25 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 20645
Allen is now an affiliate of the Avalanche. They should be banished from this thread.

Old
09-02-2011, 01:22 PM
MB94
@MBFarina94

Quote:
Allen is now an affiliate of the Avalanche. They should be banished from this thread.
correct me if i am wrong but didn't Stars and Allen agree on some deal just recently?

Old
09-02-2011, 03:26 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Isn't it kind of pointless to have a Central Hockey League affiliation in the first place?

Old
09-04-2011, 12:13 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

Larsen is now 190 lbs.

Old
09-04-2011, 10:26 AM
txomisc

Quote:
Larsen is now 190 lbs.
That is promising. He is probably still pretty darn skinny but i dont think he can put too much weight on his frame. I love the idea of him pushing to make the roster but I just dont see it as a possiblity. He could be the most outstanding dman in camp but who do you give his spot to? I guess they could get rid of Fistric and scratch either pardy or souray and still be above the cap floor but i really dont see that happening.

Old
09-04-2011, 11:32 AM
BigG44
HFB Partner

My thought is for Larsen to make the team (not considering injuries), Souray has to totally suck. Souray is expected to ease the loss of Richards on the point. I know they don't offer the same skills from the point, but both have the ability to score. If Souray can't get it done, that should open the door for Larsen.

I think the combination of Goligoski and Souray/Larsen on the Top PP point honestly have the ability to be as good as the combo of Richards and Robidas/Daley from the previous years. Goli and Richie didn't spend too much time on the point together thanks to Richie's injury.

You'd obviously rather have Richie, but the PP might be the most improved part of the team since the loss of Richie. Eriksson plays well with Ribs and Morrow on the PP, but I think Ryder might be even better with those two. Plus, Eriksson is still going to get plenty of time, it'll just end up being with Benn and Ott most likely. They obviously have the potential to be a very solid 2nd forward unit. I think Ott is actually pretty good in front of the goalie. However, the 2nd PP point is probably going to be pretty weak. I doubt Goli and Souray will get the Richie treatment on the PP so that likely means Robi and Daley are your point. Daley hasn't done much of anything with previous PP time he's been given. I think Robi was mainly effective in short spurts because of Richie. IDK that he and Daley are going to have much of an impact together. I think the success of the 2nd PP unit is likely directly tied to Benn and Eriksson.

To me Fistric and Pardy are fighting for a spot with one another because the play a similar game, but they are both going to make the team with one serving as the 7th D. I don't see how they'd have much of an impact on Larsen unless they both forget how to play hockey over the summer or Larsen is just lights out forcing Dallas' hand (see Benn 2009). I'm all for Larsen forcing a guy like Fistric out. I just think his only path out is via trade (AHL not out of the question, but I feel most would agree it's unlikely. A trade may or may not prove to be difficult, but I'm not convinced they are going to let Pardy ride the bench which would likely happen should Larsen make the team. I think (like Burish last year) they overpaid for him because they believed he'd flourish given a bigger role.

Old
09-04-2011, 01:35 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
My thought is for Larsen to make the team (not considering injuries), Souray has to totally suck. Souray is expected to ease the loss of Richards on the point. I know they don't offer the same skills from the point, but both have the ability to score. If Souray can't get it done, that should open the door for Larsen.

I think the combination of Goligoski and Souray/Larsen on the Top PP point honestly have the ability to be as good as the combo of Richards and Robidas/Daley from the previous years. Goli and Richie didn't spend too much time on the point together thanks to Richie's injury.

You'd obviously rather have Richie, but the PP might be the most improved part of the team since the loss of Richie. Eriksson plays well with Ribs and Morrow on the PP, but I think Ryder might be even better with those two. Plus, Eriksson is still going to get plenty of time, it'll just end up being with Benn and Ott most likely. They obviously have the potential to be a very solid 2nd forward unit. I think Ott is actually pretty good in front of the goalie. However, the 2nd PP point is probably going to be pretty weak. I doubt Goli and Souray will get the Richie treatment on the PP so that likely means Robi and Daley are your point. Daley hasn't done much of anything with previous PP time he's been given. I think Robi was mainly effective in short spurts because of Richie. IDK that he and Daley are going to have much of an impact together. I think the success of the 2nd PP unit is likely directly tied to Benn and Eriksson.

To me Fistric and Pardy are fighting for a spot with one another because the play a similar game, but they are both going to make the team with one serving as the 7th D. I don't see how they'd have much of an impact on Larsen unless they both forget how to play hockey over the summer or Larsen is just lights out forcing Dallas' hand (see Benn 2009). I'm all for Larsen forcing a guy like Fistric out. I just think his only path out is via trade (AHL not out of the question, but I feel most would agree it's unlikely. A trade may or may not prove to be difficult, but I'm not convinced they are going to let Pardy ride the bench which would likely happen should Larsen make the team. I think (like Burish last year) they overpaid for him because they believed he'd flourish given a bigger role.
So lets say Larsen does pull a 2009 Benn type camp. You trade Fistric or demote Fistric, right? But then as you say they arent too like to let pardy ride the bench and if souray doesnt suck he shouldnt either so now what? I dont think they would move Grossman, Daley is pretty near untradeable and their infatuation with Robidas doesnt seem to be letting up any. I guess I think no matter what Larsen does and if there are no injuries he needs two of Souray, Pardy and Fistric to stink up the joint to win himself a spot.

Old
09-04-2011, 01:37 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Larsen should go back to the AHL no matter what tbh. He's 21 and could still use another good year of development. Develop them slowly until he's just dominating the AHL IMO. Same with Vincour.

Old
09-04-2011, 02:48 PM
BigG44
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
So lets say Larsen does pull a 2009 Benn type camp. You trade Fistric or demote Fistric, right? But then as you say they arent too like to let pardy ride the bench and if souray doesnt suck he shouldnt either so now what? I dont think they would move Grossman, Daley is pretty near untradeable and their infatuation with Robidas doesnt seem to be letting up any. I guess I think no matter what Larsen does and if there are no injuries he needs two of Souray, Pardy and Fistric to stink up the joint to win himself a spot.
That's exactly what I was getting at. In fact, I think you did a better job illustrating that Larsen might actually have a more difficult task of earning a roster spot in 2011 than Benn did in 2009. Money obviously will play some role, but several things would have to happen for Larsen to make the team.

Going back to the AHL for a while is probably the best thing for him anyway. I think ideally, Larsen takes Robidas' place at some point in the future. I just don't like the idea of 4 small defenders (Robidas, Goligoski, Daley, and Larsen), and with Daley's long-term commitment, I think Robidas is probably the odd-man out. I think it's probably a good assumption too that GM Joe doesn't like the idea of 4 smaller defenders.

Old
09-04-2011, 03:53 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
Larsen should go back to the AHL no matter what tbh. He's 21 and could still use another good year of development. Develop them slowly until he's just dominating the AHL IMO. Same with Vincour.
Agreed. You want your top prospects to say the things Larsen said in that article. I'd be a little worried if he was looking forward to spending all season in Austin.

Old
09-04-2011, 04:18 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

I think Larsen has a better shot then Fistric of making the team.

Old
09-04-2011, 05:03 PM
BigG44
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
I think Larsen has a better shot then Fistric of making the team.
How so?

Most people already assume Fistric is Dallas' 7th D. So you think Larsen rides the bench most of the year as a 7th defender?

If it comes down to Fistric and Larsen, Fistric has a better chance of making the team because Larsen is better served in the AHL than as a 7th defender.

If Larsen makes the team, he's beating out two defenders not one (assuming no injuries).

Old
09-04-2011, 08:31 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
How so?

Most people already assume Fistric is Dallas' 7th D. So you think Larsen rides the bench most of the year as a 7th defender?

If it comes down to Fistric and Larsen, Fistric has a better chance of making the team because Larsen is better served in the AHL than as a 7th defender.

If Larsen makes the team, he's beating out two defenders not one (assuming no injuries).
We'll see. I think Larsens good enough to make the team fully next year and Souray might end up being our 7th defensemen, in a MA Bergeron role.

Old
09-05-2011, 12:50 AM
BigG44
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
We'll see. I think Larsens good enough to make the team fully next year and Souray might end up being our 7th defensemen, in a MA Bergeron role.
I don't doubt that Larsen has the ability to earn a roster spot. You said he'd do it by beating out Fistric which doesn't make sense. I already assume the team would prefer Larsen over Fistric in a Top 6 role, but on paper, before training camp has started, it makes more sense to assume Fistric is a the current 7th D based on the other players under contract. Larsen is not going to win a roster spot just to sit in the press box.

I already said and obviously agree with you that Souray will have a impact on Larsen's roster spot this year. However, Souray can't end up as Dallas' 7th D and take a role similar to MA Bergeron. It's unlikely Dallas will play 7 D given GM Joe's desire to roll 4 lines. He either is a Top 6 defender or in the pressbox. Souray was signed to help bolster the PP. If he can't do that, Larsen obviously should be in the Top 6.

Old
09-27-2011, 04:04 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

CP has a new logo.

Pretty badass actually. Way better than what they debuted with. Gives them their own identity. It even has green and gold in it!

Old
09-27-2011, 04:14 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Milana <3

vCash: 157
Wow, loving that logo.

Might get myself a Dillon jersey if that's the new primary one.

Are they planning on getting new jerseys?

Old
09-27-2011, 04:17 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games Seen: 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Wow, loving that logo.

Might get myself a Dillon jersey if that's the new primary one.
Was just about to ask if that was going to be a new primary logo or just the alternate?

I definitely like it.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Old
09-27-2011, 04:22 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Milana <3

http://www.texasstarshockey.com/news...article_id=700

Nope, secondary logo...

Old
09-27-2011, 04:26 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

I guarantee it will be their primary in short order. It's way too strong of a mark to remain a secondary. The merch sales are going to be hugely skewed toward things with this on it.

Old
09-27-2011, 04:38 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Milana <3

Quote:
I guarantee it will be their primary in short order. It's way too strong of a mark to remain a secondary. The merch sales are going to be hugely skewed toward things with this on it.
Oh, definitely.

Looking at the old one, they probably just copied the Iowa Stars logo with some minor changes. Kept everyone aware of what team it was. I doubt it would matter, but it is the AHL, so who knows.

Stick that on the jerseys they have now and I'd definitely be getting one.

I think I like the Texas jerseys better than the Dallas jerseys, TBH.

Old
09-27-2011, 05:34 PM
MB94
@MBFarina94

That's pretty sweet! Good to see gold and green, maybe this is just the start of a change to this franchise? Are the Stars next?

Old
09-27-2011, 06:17 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Milana <3

One thing I noticed is the green is a lot lighter than what the Dallas Stars' used to have.

Anyone think that's just a Cedar Park thing, or will that color be the same as what we might see up in Dallas in the next couple seasons?

I hope not. I like it, but a darker green is just who they are. No need to change it, especially with how unique it is.

Is Dallas one of the only franchises in the four major sports to use dark green? I know the Eagles do, but I'm drawing a blank on anyone else (I don't follow baseball or basketball).

Old
09-27-2011, 06:23 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games Seen: 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
One thing I noticed is the green is a lot lighter than what the Dallas Stars' used to have.

Anyone think that's just a Cedar Park thing, or will that color be the same as what we might see up in Dallas in the next couple seasons?

I hope not. I like it, but a darker green is just who they are. No need to change it, especially with how unique it is.

Is Dallas one of the only franchises in the four major sports to use dark green? I know the Eagles do, but I'm drawing a blank on anyone else (I don't follow baseball or basketball).

The greens might be slightly different, but I don't think they're THAT far off from each other.

NBA wise, Milwaukee...Minnesota...Boston all use green. Don't know if it's as dark green as we use.

MLB wise, only Oakland uses green. But it's not a traditional green, or a traditional dark green.

Old
09-27-2011, 06:25 PM
glovesave_35
Name

I'd like to see that logo on a jersey. By itself I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Closed Thread