HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL says it won't take action against Simmonds or Avery

Old
09-27-2011, 04:57 PM
Bauer Warrior*

vCash: 500
First of all, let me first confess, I hate the Flyers. I just do. In fact, in some ways, as an Islander fan, I hate the Flyers more than the Rangers. But having said that, I hate the team, not necessarily the people who are on it. It's a fan thing, nothing more than that.

As for this Wayne Simmons/Sean Avery issue; to me, it's just absurd. Really, it's much ado about nothing and Steve Avery being a big baby. I'm presuming that Simmons called Avery a "******". But is Steve Avery actually gay? We don't know. He hasn't come out of the closet. So does being called a "******" actually pertain to him? I've been called a "******", but I know that it doesn't pertain to me, so I don't see it as a slur.

Now, what is clear is that Wayne Simmonds is black. So if someone calls him a derogatory black name, it is clearly done with the intentions of hurting him in some way. The d-bag who through a banana peel at, or towards him, did so with, not only the intentions of making a derogatory statement towards and about his race, but also planned such an action. There's no excuse for that.

Now, I've seen no video of the Simmonds/Avery incident. But I would stake my life on the fact that Wayne Simmonds did not dress for that game with the sole purpose of calling Sean Avery a "******". It was most likely a reactionary "insult", and it is in no way comparable to what happened Simmonds about 5 days ago.

I am a straight, white man. I hate the Flyers and the Rangers. So I have no agenda in terms of team loyalty, and I have no affiliation with the race or potential sexual-orientation at hand, here.

In short, what Simmonds did was reactionary, and therefore, forgivable. What that fan did in London, Ontario last week, was mean spirited and unforgivable.

Brian Burke's two cents kind of pisses me off. Now, I know that he has a recently deceased son who was also gay, but if his son wasn't gay, he wouldn't particularly care about this. He sees this incident with rose-colored glasses, and that kind of bothers me, only because, what if his son never came out of the closet? It shows a lack of consistency, understanding, and honesty on his part. It's just the way I see it.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 05:04 PM
FlyerX

Simmonds has been a troll magnet in the last week or so. I like his game, that's for sure.

FlyerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 05:16 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Simmonds should know better then to fall for Averys baiting tatics. Avery more then likely baited him into saying that. Simmonds was wrong. some things you do not say. period. the fine was justified.
Kobe got fined 100k for saying the same thing, but I am sure thats different because he isnt a Sixer.
Kobe called a ref a ****** and there was audio as well. These guys call each other ****** all the time. Seriously - he just got suckered in the face and he called him a ****in ****** - big deal...

I am sure the refs had no problem with it. What would a ref do if a player called Simmonds a ******? Would that be a game misconduct? Is there a rule for the n word that refs are supposed to use?

I absolutely agree - you don't call somebody the n word - but ******? What's next - they can't say p****???? Seriously - somebody punches you in the face - you can call them a ******. that's ok in my book.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 05:36 PM
drownedsailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Would you tell a gay person that the "f" word isn't as offensive? It doesn't matter who suffered more, hate is hate. By the way, gays were rounded up and killed by the Nazis so I think they had it fairly bad. Hell they still are being denied their civil rights today and many still fear coming out. How would you feel to be a gay hockey player too terrified to come out because slurs were regularly used in the locker room and on the ice? How would you like to have your sexuality used as an insult and demeaned on a regular basis? Because the odds are there are players going through that in the NHL right now.
You don't understand how wrong you are. Race and homosexuality are two different things. If you're gay; you have the right to choose whether you will "come out of the closet" and accept that lifestyle or not. Where as being black is something you're born with and something you cannot control. Centuries ago black people were degraded and treated like filth because of the color of their skin...something completely out of their hands...you have the right to "come out" and say you're gay, it all depends on the type of courage you have and if you want to be real with yourself. However those slaves that lived centuries ago did not choose that lifestyle; it was placed on them. I understand the Nazis killed homosexuals; but what happened to African's and African Americans is far more horrendous then what happened to homosexuals. That's why there's a whole month dedicated to Black people and why the topic is so sensitive.

Last edited by drownedsailors: 09-27-2011 at 05:44 PM.
drownedsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 06:08 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

To me the word was never used to have the meaning of homosexual. Heat of battle, blah blah you know the rest. To be honest, people want to be offended these days as it is IMO.

Someone I had spoken with made a point that words like that these days are overused that they are falling victim to semantic satiation. For instance, I know some idiot, who claims to have no issue with African-Americans, that refers to black people that act uneducated as the n word. He says that there is a difference between an African American and a you know what. He also compared it to a white person vs. white trash. My guess is that a lot of people view the the f word as an extremely effeminate male, not necessarily a homosexual.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 06:11 PM

It's almost as if Avery's trying to prove Simmonds is right.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 06:19 PM
TOCxNJ

Quote:
Would you tell a gay person that the "f" word isn't as offensive? It doesn't matter who suffered more, hate is hate. By the way, gays were rounded up and killed by the Nazis so I think they had it fairly bad. Hell they still are being denied their civil rights today and many still fear coming out. How would you feel to be a gay hockey player too terrified to come out because slurs were regularly used in the locker room and on the ice? How would you like to have your sexuality used as an insult and demeaned on a regular basis? Because the odds are there are players going through that in the NHL right now.
I'm not going to argue with you because I'm not necessarily disagreeing with everything you're saying. However, it's not the same. The fact that they are still battling for civil rights is terrible and I can't believe that as a society we haven't come far enough to accept everyone. But the "f" word does not even come close to being as offensive as the "n" word and I would wager that most gay people would feel the same.

TOCxNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 06:31 PM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
No disciplinary action on Simmonds.

@DarrenDreger: No discipline for Simmonds. NHL couldn't substantiate what was allegedly said on the ice. A statement is expected soon.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 06:31 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 1045
I find an issue here: what is said on the ice is supposed to stay on the ice. Apparently, in this case, it did not.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 06:37 PM
TOCxNJ

Quote:
Are you seriously that naive? The whole point of calling someone that word is to imply that they are less of a man by calling them gay.

Now I don't think everyone that says it are homophobic because sadly it is all too common, but the word is meant to use homosexuality as an insult.
You are the one who actually sounds naive here. I think you're some how oblivious to how most people use that term.

TOCxNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 06:49 PM
Subnordi

I'm not really clear, Simmonds called out Avery on being supportive of gays?

Subnordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 06:52 PM
who_me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonator View Post
This is getting dangerous and the brain washing of people is horrifying....has anyone here not read 1984 .....people, you DO not have the right not to be offended in a free society...the *** word is uttered between sports players and regular society on a frequent basis.....so what....if someone calls me a big stupid Irish Mick I do not go running to the police....the real scary problem is that how many people will disagree with me in the name of false tolerance.....
lol so true, what happened to 'sticks and stones may break my bones' ?

who_me? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 06:53 PM
Flyerfan808

What is said on the ice should stay on the ice. Only exception: If you get caught on National Television saying such things, you're probably going to get hit with fines and suspensions.

Quote:
No disciplinary action on Simmonds.

@DarrenDreger: No discipline for Simmonds. NHL couldn't substantiate what was allegedly said on the ice. A statement is expected soon.
Oh, nevermind then.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 06:59 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I find an issue here: what is said on the ice is supposed to stay on the ice. Apparently, in this case, it did not.
Exactly. Avery is a punk for going to the press. That stuff stays on the ice, period. I truly hope someday he gets what he deserves. There is no place on the ice for a rat.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 07:09 PM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Avery threatens to kill Giroux, yet the alleged Simmonds slur is front and center in the news

glad the NHL has it's priorities straight

i've been called a ... plenty of times on the ice before and I never *****ed to anyone about it

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 07:12 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

On Simmonds and Avery by Meltzer

Bill's take if it hasn't been discussed..

Quote:
As for the series of confrontations between Wayne Simmonds and Sean Avery last night, I cannot condone what Simmonds allegedly said to Avery while the two were verbally sparring. But I understand why it happened.

It does not matter that the particular homophobic slur that Simmonds appeared to holler at Avery gets used -- repeatedly -- on virtually an every-game basis at all levels of hockey. That doesn't make it right or justify it.

It also does not matter that Avery is the most notorious trash talker in the entire league (one who, in the past, has allegedly used racial slurs and extremely vile personal taunts in which absolutely nothing is off-limits). I doubt the player himself believes most of the things he says, but it doesn't stop him from saying them.

Avery compounds the trash talking by taking cheap shots -- such as his sucker punch of Simmonds in the pile up after the Sestito boarding major touched off scrums and a Sestito vs. Stu Bickel fight behind the net -- and then doing things like turtling and looking to the refs when he gets confronted directly by the other player.

Avery brings out the worst in other players, and brings on himself things like Simmonds' poor choice of a return taunt. Again, I don't like the name that Simmonds called Avery.

However, I also doubt it was said in reference to Avery taking a public stance in favor of gay marriage rights. I suspect it was said for the usual reason it gets uttered on the ice. It's said to imply the other player is cowardly or otherwise less than a man. That's wrong, but keep this in mind: If Simmonds has chosen to use the other typical on-ice taunts that have the exact same actual meaning -- the ones that reference females and the female anatomy -- I doubt that anyone would have gotten on their sanctimonious soapbox afterwards to condemn Simmonds for using terms that show contempt and antiquated attitudes about women.

Continue

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 07:14 PM
JABEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Next in hockey. To get rid of the word p****. It might make the victim sad because it is offensive to women and transvestites everywhere!
Actually people do find that offensive.

JABEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 07:16 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

how does avery think its ok for him to complain to the league?

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 07:45 PM
Flyotes
JVR is Pigeon Caw!

Yes. This is the locale for this battle. This isn't even news.

Flyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 07:49 PM
Cmoneyflyguy

bottom line: Avery broke the code by whining to the media.

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 08:54 PM
habitue*

Brière just told (i dunno if it's only in the French Quebec media) that Avery told Giroux that "he would kill him"... during that same game yesterday night.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 08:58 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2573
^ Audio is on Youtube of that.

A giant among racehorses, Unbridled became an even more towering figure at stud, siring a winner of each Triple Crown race, as well as champions, Grade 1 winners, and major producers at stud.

Paulick Report, May 19, 2015
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 09:27 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 09:54 PM
kicksave27

you can hear Avery plain as day say he was going to kill Giroux, but he's not in jail, because it was in the context of a hockey game. Same thing should apply to anything on the ice, mic's ice level need to be filtered better.

Though it does remind me of dunlop & hanrahan

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 09:58 PM
StandingCow

I have said it before and I will say it again, people just love to be offended.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote