06.09.2011 - Baertschi, Brodie amongst 14 players trimmed from training camp

Old
09-27-2011, 10:08 AM
Janks
Pope Janks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
The Flames cannot afford to send a team a draft pick to take Stajan. But possibly we could send them a prospect as an incentive. Just a thought?
I'd rather them not send anything with Stajan, if PL3 can get a 5th rounder Stajan can surely garner a 7th?

Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 10:29 AM
haQ Loob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Frankly if he can win faceoffs on a regular basis, I'd keep him around just for that.
I think this is why Manny Malhotra was such an important addition to Vancouver. Faceoff strength would markedly improve special teams, for one. And if we're trying to get more skilled/talented, younger, a little smaller, and faster, sometimes we sacrifice a bit of corner-work. Improved puck possession as a result of face-off wins might balance out a few more board battles lost, if that happens.

haQ Loob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 11:55 AM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 50
Quote:
The Flames cannot afford to send a team a draft pick to take Stajan. But possibly we could send them a prospect as an incentive. Just a thought?
Not worth it. Either find someone who will take Stajan for a low pick or whatever, or just let the owners eat his contract. NYR, for example. are chewing on worse with Redden's contract.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 01:37 PM
showtime8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
Not worth it. Either find someone who will take Stajan for a low pick or whatever, or just let the owners eat his contract. NYR, for example. are chewing on worse with Redden's contract.
As a Leafs fan, they are facing the same situation with Mike Komisarek. Just because he is getting paid the money doesn't mean that he earns a spot on the roster. I watched a lot of what Baertschi had to offer since I live in Calgary and love the dub. So when he was in the training camp, he showed a lot of talent and poise. Hands down he outplayed Stajan and I think that he's ready to play in the NHL.

Its a tough situation, but the Flames need to act now and help the development of the organization.

showtime8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 02:31 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

If Stajan doesn't have a bounce back season (and I think he will) buying him out at the end of the year is always an option.

His buyout cap hit after this season (2/3 of remaining $5 million salary owed over four years) is $825,000 (or 100% of remaining $5 million salary over 4 years) is $1.25 million (i'm not sure which would apply). That isn't great, but a damn sight better than $3.5 million.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 03:45 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

If we have a good amount of cap space next year not sure if a buyout is appropriate. As crappy as he is, he's still serviceable at the bottom 6 and unless his contract hinders us from getting a player, etc. we probably will just keep him there

King In The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 05:44 PM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael Backlund View Post
I'd rather them not send anything with Stajan, if PL3 can get a 5th rounder Stajan can surely garner a 7th?
The law of the NHL states than Calgary overpays in picks for players.

We would have to give someone a 2nd to take Stajan. If we were to acquire him, it would take a 3rd.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 05:45 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
why couldn't we burry him in the minors? Act similiar as what the oilers did with Souray and let him play for some other AHL organization, in order to keep him from tainting the farm system with his bitterness and sour thoughts.

It's not like the Flames Owners wouldn't want to ice the best possible team at the cost of 3.5 million

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich0591 View Post
If we have a good amount of cap space next year not sure if a buyout is appropriate. As crappy as he is, he's still serviceable at the bottom 6 and unless his contract hinders us from getting a player, etc. we probably will just keep him there
Sure he's still servicable in some aspects, but he might inhibit the flames from icing the best possible team, or prevent the growth of a prospect

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 06:15 PM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

vCash: 1456
Not gonna lie, if Horak makes the team, dangles around Tim Erixon and scores in our game against the Rangers, my year will be made.

Personally I think he's still here because Backlund isn't good to go tonight, but a guy can dream.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 11:47 PM
UnrefinedCrude

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Does anyone else find it a tad suspicious that both prospects Feaster traded for are still up at camp? Horak and Byron.

I mean, Byron has looked really good and Horak has been good too but has he really played better than Bartschi or Rienhart?
As an outsider (Oilers fan, but not here to fight,) from what i saw both Baertschi and Reinhart looked as good s the other two (reinhart less consistantly so, maybe,) but I think it was the right move to send both down to Jr.

Baertschi for example is definitely a top 6 guy, line one or two for him. But if he were to crack your lineup, would he be taking that spot, or be shoved into limited minutes on the 3rd or 4th line, where he isn't particularly suited? If he is in that role, he won't help the Flames, and he won't learn as much as would getting primo minutes in Abbottsford.

I think he's already highly skilled, but he's still a fair way away from his ceiling. A team with limited high end skill in the system needs to give him the best opportunity to grow. (limited doesn't mean deplete, BTW, your prospects aren't as bad as the main boards would like to think, but it is a bit light on high end talent, Sutter traded away too many picks.)

baertschi will be force by next season, even earlier if he ends up being a mid season call up.

UnrefinedCrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 03:51 PM
torero

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrefinedCrude View Post
As an outsider (Oilers fan, but not here to fight,) from what i saw both Baertschi and Reinhart looked as good s the other two (reinhart less consistantly so, maybe,) but I think it was the right move to send both down to Jr.

Baertschi for example is definitely a top 6 guy, line one or two for him. But if he were to crack your lineup, would he be taking that spot, or be shoved into limited minutes on the 3rd or 4th line, where he isn't particularly suited? If he is in that role, he won't help the Flames, and he won't learn as much as would getting primo minutes in Abbottsford.

I think he's already highly skilled, but he's still a fair way away from his ceiling. A team with limited high end skill in the system needs to give him the best opportunity to grow. (limited doesn't mean deplete, BTW, your prospects aren't as bad as the main boards would like to think, but it is a bit light on high end talent, Sutter traded away too many picks.)

baertschi will be force by next season, even earlier if he ends up being a mid season call up.
He is actually heading for the Portland Winterhawks ... in WHL.

Can he still be subject to a call up by mid season ?

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 03:57 PM
Janks
Pope Janks

Quote:
Originally Posted by torero View Post
He is actually heading for the Portland Winterhawks ... in WHL.

Can he still be subject to a call up by mid season ?
I don't believe he is eligible for call-up until the Winterhawk's season has ended, but I may be wrong.

Regardless, it was best to put him back in the WHL, let him grow for a year and be a star on the team and see where he is next year. He only just got drafted, so we have some time to let him develop.

Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 04:58 PM
DBU
Hoss Creek

Quote:
I don't believe he is eligible for call-up until the Winterhawk's season has ended, but I may be wrong.

Regardless, it was best to put him back in the WHL, let him grow for a year and be a star on the team and see where he is next year. He only just got drafted, so we have some time to let him develop.
He can't be called up until Portland's season is over. The Flames went through this with a few players a few years ago, I believe. I remember Backlund especially, he was playing for Kelowna and they brought him up for the playoffs vs. Chicago I think,

I might be way off though.

DBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 05:14 PM
SmellOfVictory

Quote:
That's the case with the AHL, but I don't know that it applies to the NHL.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 09:34 PM
saillias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelinas View Post
He can't be called up until Portland's season is over. The Flames went through this with a few players a few years ago, I believe. I remember Backlund especially, he was playing for Kelowna and they brought him up for the playoffs vs. Chicago I think,

I might be way off though.
The case with Backlund was a strange one, he was being imported from Sweden and on the way to Kelowna he stopped off at Calgary for 1 game.

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 06:48 PM
GoFlames

So if Horak sticks the Flames might actually win some draws? Holy ****... about time.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote