HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is it safe to eliminate Sestito and Schenn from...

Old
09-27-2011, 11:15 PM
hockeyfreak7

vCash: 500
I dont put any stock at all in a bad preseason performance (not that Schenn has even been bad). A good preseason showing is more telling than a bad one. Schenn is a good hockey player, and a bad preseason doesnt mean that he's not NHL ready. He's already proven that he is.

For example, based on the pre season, if we had no prior knowledge of, say, Max Talbot, I would conclude that he is not "NHL ready" either. Things arent analyzed under a microscope. There's a broad spectrum of things to be considered. Schenn will be on the team for sure, and I think he will prove his case when it counts. A couple pre season games certainly does not tell the story.

But I think in the case of a good pre season showing, such as Matt Read, tells more of a story than a bad one. Seeing the full potential of a player says more to me than seeing a player who may not be playing his best.

I see a Schenn/JVR combo being dynamic in the future, but that's just speculation. I'd love to see this as our opening day lineup:

Simmonds-Giroux-Jagr
JVR-Schenn-Hartnell
Voracek-Couturier-Briere
Read-Talbot-Rinaldo
Betts/Nodl

I definitely think Couturier deserves a spot. His "weakness on the puck" is being greatly overstated because of a couple of close ups of him being outmuscled by Dan Girardi, a player who would give Giroux trouble in the corners as well. He's certainly not strong in the corners, but his IQ alone can contribute to this team, and that's all that matters. He makes this team better, and his strength shouldnt be an issue since we are not relying on him at all to be a huge threat.

I think that lineup is extremely balanced, and is well insulated in the case of injuries.

The best thing about the team so far is that there is absolutely no complacency from anyone. Hate to bring them up again, but even though they were tremendous hockey players, Richards and Carter had become complacent, and as the leaders, that set the tone for the rest of the team. That should not be an issue here.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 12:41 AM
Clyde Donovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
I dont put any stock at all in a bad preseason performance (not that Schenn has even been bad). A good preseason showing is more telling than a bad one. Schenn is a good hockey player, and a bad preseason doesnt mean that he's not NHL ready. He's already proven that he is.

For example, based on the pre season, if we had no prior knowledge of, say, Max Talbot, I would conclude that he is not "NHL ready" either. Things arent analyzed under a microscope. There's a broad spectrum of things to be considered. Schenn will be on the team for sure, and I think he will prove his case when it counts. A couple pre season games certainly does not tell the story.

But I think in the case of a good pre season showing, such as Matt Read, tells more of a story than a bad one. Seeing the full potential of a player says more to me than seeing a player who may not be playing his best.

I see a Schenn/JVR combo being dynamic in the future, but that's just speculation. I'd love to see this as our opening day lineup:

Simmonds-Giroux-Jagr
JVR-Schenn-Hartnell
Voracek-Couturier-Briere
Read-Talbot-Rinaldo
Betts/Nodl

I definitely think Couturier deserves a spot. His "weakness on the puck" is being greatly overstated because of a couple of close ups of him being outmuscled by Dan Girardi, a player who would give Giroux trouble in the corners as well. He's certainly not strong in the corners, but his IQ alone can contribute to this team, and that's all that matters. He makes this team better, and his strength shouldnt be an issue since we are not relying on him at all to be a huge threat.

I think that lineup is extremely balanced, and is well insulated in the case of injuries.

The best thing about the team so far is that there is absolutely no complacency from anyone. Hate to bring them up again, but even though they were tremendous hockey players, Richards and Carter had become complacent, and as the leaders, that set the tone for the rest of the team. That should not be an issue here.
I like that lineup but I would switch Briere to center and start Couturier on the wing. Having rookies as your number 2 and 3 centers is a pretty big gamble imo. While I think Nodl has lost his spot on this team, I'm still on the fence about Betts. His Pk alone may earn him a spot but he has looked REALLY slow in the couple of preseason games I've seen him.

Clyde Donovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 04:53 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I can't see them playing Read on the bottom line. I can however see them playing Couturier over Betts. People keep saying about how money Betts is on the PK.

Well we have added Read, Couturier, Schenn and Talbot for PK duty. Then you have Giroux and Simmonds should any of them go down. Personally for as much as I like Betts, I think that it will only be a matter of time before he is missing games again this season. They put Couturier on Rinaldo's line a few times during the pre-season already. I can really see the flyers going with this at the start of the year.

JVR - Giroux - Jagr
Hartnell - Briere - Voracek
Read - Schenn - Simmonds
Rinaldo - Couturier - Talbot
Nodl

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 12:01 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
I can't see them playing Read on the bottom line. I can however see them playing Couturier over Betts. People keep saying about how money Betts is on the PK.

Well we have added Read, Couturier, Schenn and Talbot for PK duty. Then you have Giroux and Simmonds should any of them go down. Personally for as much as I like Betts, I think that it will only be a matter of time before he is missing games again this season. They put Couturier on Rinaldo's line a few times during the pre-season already. I can really see the flyers going with this at the start of the year.

JVR - Giroux - Jagr
Hartnell - Briere - Voracek
Read - Schenn - Simmonds
Rinaldo - Couturier - Talbot
Nodl
I'll take Nodl over Rinaldo on the 4th everyday. I still don't know why he's getting written off in favor of Rinaldo/Sestito and co. Nodl is another PKer, which is good because Laviolette likes to roll as many options as possible, and I don't think Couturier will be a PK mainstay right off the bat (if he makes the team).

The rest looks good.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 12:24 PM
mirimon

Sestito cleared waivers btw.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 12:29 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Couturier is not going to play 4th line center.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 03:09 PM
dats81

Sestito suspended for the remaining preseason and two regular season games. (via Twitter)

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 03:21 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
Sestito suspended for the remaining preseason and two regular season games. (via Twitter)
And everyone was saying MORE than Shelley.

No priors.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 03:26 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Thats a really strange decision. It looked allot worse than Shelleys

Old
09-28-2011, 03:47 PM
4thline4life
The Mased God

Quote:
Thats a really strange decision. It looked allot worse than Shelleys
it was sestito's first offense compared to shelley's like 10th.

4thline4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 03:49 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Still, 2 game suspension for that hit? crazy if you ask me.

Old
09-28-2011, 04:33 PM
Jester

Quote:
Agree, that hit was brutal.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 04:57 PM
TheLegendkiller

Meh well what are you gonna do, he got all keyed-up like a maniac and just flew in there. I would still welcome Sestito as a call up though. Dude's scaring the rest of HF boards.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 06:03 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
Meh well what are you gonna do, he got all keyed-up like a maniac and just flew in there. I would still welcome Sestito as a call up though. Dude's scaring the rest of HF boards.
I would love to see Sestito out there as a fourth line/enforcer. He's a beast.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 06:17 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I would love to see Sestito out there as a fourth line/enforcer. He's a beast.
I'd like to see Sestito out of the organization. He's a 6'5 piece of crap that offers nothing.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 07:53 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Yeah, I'm very surprised. Shanahan must be too tired shooting video. No priors is one thing, but that was a very dangerous play.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 08:33 PM
StandingCow

Wow, I expected around 5 regular season games... looks like injury and past history play a huge part.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote