HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL says it won't take action against Simmonds or Avery

Old
09-27-2011, 10:01 PM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Y-rGud48R5E#!
Wow. He says it over and over and over again.

Selling out Simmonds to the media goes beyond Avery's extreme pest status. He's vindictive and petty enough to try to screw a player's public image.

Last edited by Readyrock: 09-27-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 11:01 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Y-rGud48R5E#!
You didn't beep that?

Oh, Coatesy.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 09:06 AM
thk25

The Deadspin Venn diagram does a good job of what is going on with this situation. http://deadspin.com/5844295/black-ho...****ing-******

thk25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 09:45 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by thk25 View Post
The Deadspin Venn diagram does a good job of what is going on with this situation. http://deadspin.com/5844295/black-ho...****ing-******
Didn't try it but link likely won't work because the link is censored.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 09:56 AM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by drownedsailors View Post
You don't understand how wrong you are. Race and homosexuality are two different things. If you're gay; you have the right to choose whether you will "come out of the closet" and accept that lifestyle or not. Where as being black is something you're born with and something you cannot control. Centuries ago black people were degraded and treated like filth because of the color of their skin...something completely out of their hands...you have the right to "come out" and say you're gay, it all depends on the type of courage you have and if you want to be real with yourself. However those slaves that lived centuries ago did not choose that lifestyle; it was placed on them. I understand the Nazis killed homosexuals; but what happened to African's and African Americans is far more horrendous then what happened to homosexuals. That's why there's a whole month dedicated to Black people and why the topic is so sensitive.
I'm on the side that this isn't a big deal, but that's a horribly ignorant post

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 10:18 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
Since I'm white and straight, I simply don't even bother to comment on posts like that since I'll never know what it's like to be either.

Old
09-28-2011, 11:24 AM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Good. As they shouldn't..
Next : Suspensions for thinking about the other player in a negative way

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 12:04 PM
drownedsailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
You honestly believe that your sexual orientation and your race are the same thing?

drownedsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 12:10 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
You honestly believe that your sexual orientation and your race are the same thing?
You can't choose either. Saying that a gay person can just stay in the closet and avoid all discrimination is pretty closeminded.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 12:23 PM
drownedsailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
You can't choose either. Saying that a gay person can just stay in the closet and avoid all discrimination is pretty closeminded.
That wasn't my point; I'm saying (for example) let's say you meet a girl who happens to be a Lesbian. You get to know her and talk to her for hours; and you don't find out about her sexual orientation until she chooses to tell you. So you get to know her before you have time to put any labels on her.

Let's flip the script and replace that girl with a person of color; right away the first thing you'll notice is her skin color.

The difference I'm trying to point out is that; you can conceal (if you want) your sexual orientation, you can't conceal your skin color...I'm not trying to say it's a bad or good thing, I'm just literally pointing out the difference between the two...

Old
09-28-2011, 12:31 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

I'm glad everyone's working so hard to stay on topic.

Old
09-28-2011, 12:37 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
I'm glad everyone's working so hard to stay on topic.
Seriously.

The NHL said this:

Quote:
TORONTO -- Colin Campbell, National Hockey League Senior Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations, today released the following statement regarding an altercation during Monday night's preseason game between the New York Rangers and Philadelphia Flyers:

"All Players, Coaches and Officials in the National Hockey League deserve the respect of their peers, and have the absolute right to function in a work environment that is free from racially or sexually-based innuendo or derision. This is the National Hockey League's policy and it will remain so going forward.

"It also is important to emphasize that the National Hockey League holds, and will continue to hold, our Players to higher standards with respect to their conduct both on and off the ice. While we recognize that the emotion involved in certain on-ice confrontations may lead to the use of highly charged and sometimes offensive language and commentary, certain lines cannot be crossed. Specifically, we have for many years emphasized to our Clubs and Players that commentary directed at the race or ethnicity of other participants in the game (or even non-participants), or that is otherwise socially or morally inappropriate or potentially hurtful -- including as it may relate to sexual orientation -- is absolutely unacceptable and will not be tolerated.

"With that as background, we have looked into the allegations relating to the possible use of a homophobic slur by a Flyers player in the Rangers/Flyers preseason game last night in Philadelphia. Since there are conflicting accounts of what transpired on the ice, we have been unable to substantiate with the necessary degree of certainty what was said and by whom. Specifically, Flyers Player Wayne Simmonds has expressly denied using the homophobic slur he is alleged to have said. Additionally, none of the on-ice officials close to the altercation in question heard any inappropriate slurs uttered by either of the primary antagonists. In light of this, we are unable at this time to take any disciplinary action with respect to last night's events. To the extent we become aware of additional information conclusively establishing that an inappropriate slur was invoked, we are reserving the option to revisit the matter."
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=590169

09-28-2011, 01:31 PM
DayoftheGreek

Quote:
I don't see where he said that.

DayoftheGreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 01:50 PM
drownedsailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheGreek View Post
I don't see where he said that.
Well I was trying to explain that in my original post (granted I got WAY off track) I didn't understand why people kept comparing Simmonds homophobic slur to racism. They're two different things; and shouldn't have been brought together in this thread.

Old
09-28-2011, 01:58 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Come on, man.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 02:00 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Well I was trying to explain that in my original post (granted I got WAY off track) I didn't understand why people kept comparing Simmonds homophobic slur to racism. They're two different things; and shouldn't have been brought together in this thread.
Dude, they are not two different things. It's both discriminating/hating/whatever else you want to call it based on an immutable quality. How are they different?

Old
09-28-2011, 02:15 PM
drownedsailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Dude, they are not two different things. It's both discriminating/hating/whatever else you want to call it based on an immutable quality. How are they different?

Take the whole "discriminating/hating" part away from it. And now answer this, is your sexual orientation the same thing as your race?

Old
09-28-2011, 02:17 PM
drownedsailors

Quote:
Come on, man.
I'm a girl lool

Old
09-28-2011, 03:01 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Take the whole "discriminating/hating" part away from it. And now answer this, is your sexual orientation the same thing as your race?
Pretty much. They are both immutable qualities you are born with.

Old
09-28-2011, 03:50 PM
drownedsailors

Quote:
Pretty much. They are both immutable qualities you are born with.
You can argue that your sexual orientation is either nature or nurture, but it’s still not a part of your genetic code. What you find physically attractive is something you believe is physically attractive to yourself as an individual, that’s a process that happens in your mind, which makes it a mental state. Race however is a part of your genetic makeup; an Asian boy is Asian because it’s in his DNA, a homosexual isn’t gay because his ancestors were gay…do you get my point now?

Edit: I'm not trying to be offensive in any way, so please don't try and assume that I am.

Last edited by drownedsailors: 09-28-2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old
09-28-2011, 04:28 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
You can argue that your sexual orientation is either nature or nurture, but itís still not a part of your genetic code. What you find physically attractive is something you believe is physically attractive to yourself as an individual, thatís a process that happens in your mind, which makes it a mental state. Race however is a part of your genetic makeup; an Asian boy is Asian because itís in his DNA, a homosexual isnít gay because his ancestors were gayÖdo you get my point now?

Edit: I'm not trying to be offensive in any way, so please don't try and assume that I am.
Being gay has nothing to do with a "mental state." Just like an Asian boy doesn't choose to be Asian, a gay kid doesn't choose to be gay. Have you ever met a gay person? That isn't how it works.

Old
09-28-2011, 04:48 PM
drownedsailors

Quote:
Being gay has nothing to do with a "mental state." Just like an Asian boy doesn't choose to be Asian, a gay kid doesn't choose to be gay. Have you ever met a gay person? That isn't how it works.
Gay, Straight or Lesbian, it doesn't matter...what you find attractive is separate from what others find attractive, which therefore makes it a "mental state" or a "state of mind". An Asian boy is Asian because his Fathers Asian, you don't find someone attractive because your father finds them attractive, do you get it now? If you're not going to pay attention to what I'm typing than there's really no point in continuing this argument.

Oh, and I never once said that homosexuals choose to be gay...stop putting words in my mouth.

Old
09-28-2011, 04:59 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Why is that relevant? Your original post was implying that because homosexuals choose to come out that it is somehow less of an issue to call them the F word than it is to call black people the N word. The two concepts are not as different as you are trying to make them seem to be

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 05:11 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Gay, Straight or Lesbian, it doesn't matter...what you find attractive is separate from what others find attractive, which therefore makes it a "mental state" or a "state of mind". An Asian boy is Asian because his Fathers Asian, you don't find someone attractive because your father finds them attractive, do you get it now? If you're not going to pay attention to what I'm typing than there's really no point in continuing this argument.

Oh, and I never once said that homosexuals choose to be gay...stop putting words in my mouth.
Could you explain this gay "state of mind" or "mental state" to me a little bit more? I'm interested in learning more about it and how it is 1) not a choice, and 2) different from other immutable qualities that you are born with.

Old
09-28-2011, 05:18 PM
FlyersCup08

@drownedsailors I understand what you're saying but the manner in which you're going about it is coming off completely wrong.

True, homosexuals can hide their trait from other people if they fear discrimination, which black people cannot do which makes these two concepts inherently different.

It all comes down to opinion. For instance, although the "F" word is equally derogatory to a homosexual as the N word is to a black person, when aimed at someone outside that target group the "F" word is not nearly as bad (in my opinion). I.e. I don't think it's so wrong to call a straight guy a f** when talking s*** to him, whereas I think it is wrong to call a white person a n***** when talking s***. Does that make sense?

Gotta love taboo subjects.

FlyersCup08 is offline   Reply With Quote