HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

PSG4: CLB @ WAS, 9/26/11, 7pm

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-27-2011, 07:22 PM
  #126
Mothra
Registered User
 
Mothra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 7,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i have a hard time judging any tactic or strategy basing it on last season the baseline performance of just ovechkin and backstrom as a starting point was so far below their career norms.

if ovechkin and backstrom and back to something nominal at even strenth and the pp still blows, i'll be pointing my finger and the coaching myself. my view remains that once mcphee and boudreau decided that both top players needed an off season reset to return to form, the change in playing style and the resulting success with so many rookies in primary positions was a remarkable job of coaching.

so, i dont see the same bruce cant coach that many here do. this season will be enlightening. at least to me.
im not sure I would call last season remarkable coaching....He certainly got his team to buy in to a new system, and that can often be the hardest thing. That said...the system sacrificed too much offense IMO. We have seen the team play all O and all D....but not much of a balance.

your position puts last season fully on the players...not sure I will go that far. I am of the belief that coaching needs help get these guys started at times.....and during a playoff series it matters even more.

Not sure what you mean about "mcphee and boudreau decided that both top players needed an off season reset to return to form". What decision needed to be made on these players? to keep them?

Im not saying BB cant coach....but at what point does his record work against him? He has a HoF winning percentage in the regular season and is under .500 in the playoffs.....where things like coaching become even more important IMO. If he were a goalie the absolute go to question would be "can he cut it in the playoffs"....

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 07:45 PM
  #127
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles
 
BrooklynCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 14,042
vCash: 500
Remarkable coaching would have been guiding your struggling $35 million worth of offensive superstars to play to their potential.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 07:53 PM
  #128
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,057
vCash: 500
my take is that those two players didnt come to camp ready to play and they never caught up. if that is part of boudreau's job, then its his fault.

i know its really unacceptable to compliment boudreau's coaching though. forgive me.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 08:10 PM
  #129
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles
 
BrooklynCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 14,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
my take is that those two players didnt come to camp ready to play and they never caught up. if that is part of boudreau's job, then its his fault.

i know its really unacceptable to compliment boudreau's coaching though. forgive me.
That doesn't really hold up to scrutiny.

Ovechkin's pace through the first 20 games was 40 goals-60 assists.

Backstrom's pace through the first 20 games was 24 goals-60 assists.

I guess you could argue that they didn't have the endurance to finish the season, but realistically playing the trap following that horrible power outage in December probably had more to do with their diminished production at the end of the year.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 08:26 PM
  #130
TRASHCAT
Registered User
 
TRASHCAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 4,403
vCash: 500
Having your two top players come in the season out of shape. Who needs discipline? Yeah, might be on the coach.

TRASHCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 10:01 PM
  #131
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyIce View Post
I didn't go but my friend who was there in 118 F said looking up at the screen through the net was difficult to see the puck on replays.

Some said it was like looking through a fog and another said it was like looking through a snow storm. It also depends on where you are in relation to the net because the angle can cause more distortion.
Apparently it's a test and the Caps brass want fan feedback....


I encourage people to voice their displeasure.

__________________
George McPhee....The Teflon GM. 15 years of failure and counting....

6 - Number of playoff series the Capitals have won since George McPhee took over as General Manager in 1997 (which makes him the third-longest-tenured GM in the League), three of which came in McPhee's first season on the job.
CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 10:29 PM
  #132
Backstrom #19
Fire them all
 
Backstrom #19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Savannah Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Apparently it's a test and the Caps brass want fan feedback....


I encourage people to voice their displeasure.
Sounds like they are already putting the black netting back.

Quote:
“It was all meant to be something good but it wasn’t,” Monumental Sports and Entertainment spokesman Kurt Kehl said. “It wasn’t the same type of white netting they had used with success in Philadelphia and other places around the league — this one just doesn’t work.”
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...Si2K_blog.html

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 12:22 AM
  #133
Atlas
Registered User
 
Atlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 3,039
vCash: 500
The Caps got creamed in the playoffs. This was the first playoffs under Boudreau when the Caps were not even competitive. He was out-coached against Montreal and again this year. The evidence is that the Caps will burn another year of Ovie's prime to give Boudreau another shot. There is no evidence--none at all--that Boudreau will out-coach anyone in the playoffs. He's a liability. It sucks.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 01:25 AM
  #134
Halpysback
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
The Caps got creamed in the playoffs. This was the first playoffs under Boudreau when the Caps were not even competitive. He was out-coached against Montreal and again this year. The evidence is that the Caps will burn another year of Ovie's prime to give Boudreau another shot. There is no evidence--none at all--that Boudreau will out-coach anyone in the playoffs. He's a liability. It sucks.
There's no difference between coaching in the playoffs and the regular season. McPhee said so. Boudreau is a good regular season coach. Therefore he's a good playoffs coach. It's clearly all because Ovechkin and Backstrom do blow and eat canned lard in between periods. Boudreau wants them to WORK HAAARDAAAR. Do you not want them to WORK HAAARDAAAR?

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 05:51 AM
  #135
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 23,862
vCash: 50
McPhee is wrong with regular season coaching is the same as playoff coaching. When in the regular season do you play a team 7 games in a row? The regular season back to backs is the closest thing to playoffs, and you know what the big decision is, planning which goalie gets which game in advance. Something a coach will rarely to never do in the loffs. I have never heard announcers talk about a coach making adjustments for a game 2 of back to backs, nor seen any.

The regular season obvious move, changing goalies, Bruce didnt even try for the game 3 or 4 of Tampa, which I still think was a huge mistake.

Fact is the playoffs is when a coach is pressed into duty more than ever.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 07:08 AM
  #136
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,057
vCash: 500
i knew it. say anything nice about boudreau's coaching and its like kicking the hornet's nest.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 08:59 AM
  #137
Stewie G
Erskine for Norris
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,976
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i knew it. say anything nice about boudreau's coaching and its like kicking the hornet's nest.
I think even the most patient people are just about ready to give up on BB, so it isn't surprising at all that praising anything that he's done is going to get shouted down. It's like the opposite of not seeing the forest for the trees. There might be one or two areas of the forest are in good shape, but there are fires elsewhere in the park and the remaining trees are being outcoached.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 10:10 AM
  #138
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 23,862
vCash: 50
Tex, you can give examples of what Bruce has does well coaching in the playoffs. It will not stir the proverbial hornets nest, not everyone here overreacts. It will be nice to hear positive posts about him.

I think the whole coming into camp out of shape and crippling a players entire season is bunk. Someone that badly out of shape gets into shape in camp and into the season. Us lunatic scrutinizing fans should be able to see someone out of shape and loafing, if its that bad. Someone at Kettler would see a guy bloated and lumbering. Fact is, we don't see it. After the fact we see an off year and proclaim he must have been out of shape and never got into shape. It's all speculation.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 10:35 AM
  #139
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,057
vCash: 500
rh, i have said that after this last playoff failure that it was time for a change. i have also said that mcphee's decision to go long rather than go short has a heavy weight of losing on the roster core.

where did i say that i approved of boudreau's playoff coaching? what i said here that has stirred this up so badly was simply that changing an offense first team where its best players are offensive players to a defense first team where many of its most important defensive players were rookies in mid season and then finishing first in the conference was some pretty good coaching.

what about that is inaccurate?

like i said, you can't say anything positive about boudreau's coaching....anything...without turning up the negative.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 11:32 AM
  #140
Atlas
Registered User
 
Atlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 3,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
McPhee is wrong with regular season coaching is the same as playoff coaching. When in the regular season do you play a team 7 games in a row? The regular season back to backs is the closest thing to playoffs, and you know what the big decision is, planning which goalie gets which game in advance. Something a coach will rarely to never do in the loffs. I have never heard announcers talk about a coach making adjustments for a game 2 of back to backs, nor seen any.

The regular season obvious move, changing goalies, Bruce didnt even try for the game 3 or 4 of Tampa, which I still think was a huge mistake.

Fact is the playoffs is when a coach is pressed into duty more than ever.

Right on. Also, the way points are scored now makes the NHL regular season pretty lame. Teams play for tie games. They play to make it into OT and get the 1 OT Loss Pt at least. That's how it looked over the final 1/3 of the regular season to me. That ain't hockey.

Bruce just throws his players out there and hopes for the best. There is a basic plan but he doesn't adjust when other coaches adjust. So it becomes a big, frustrating mess. And, of course, it ends in ugly playoff losses.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 01:36 PM
  #141
Mothra
Registered User
 
Mothra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 7,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
rh, i have said that after this last playoff failure that it was time for a change. i have also said that mcphee's decision to go long rather than go short has a heavy weight of losing on the roster core.

where did i say that i approved of boudreau's playoff coaching? what i said here that has stirred this up so badly was simply that changing an offense first team where its best players are offensive players to a defense first team where many of its most important defensive players were rookies in mid season and then finishing first in the conference was some pretty good coaching.

what about that is inaccurate?

like i said, you can't say anything positive about boudreau's coaching....anything...without turning up the negative.
Lets be more accurate....You had said "remarkable coaching". I even said that getting the players to buy in to this change was a positive, and often the hardest part of coaching (or so it seems sometimes). It may sound semantics but I dont think remarkable coaching and pretty good coaching are the same. Had you used that sort of wording I likely wouldnt have given it much of a thought. Its likely how you feel anyway.....I dont think you feel they were a remarkably well coached team but I think thats what I, and others, picked up on. Its not a simple compliment....it makes it sound like he did an outstanding job, and he didnt

This change in styles also came at the expense of all the offense, pretty much. I dont really like that and feel they need more of a balance, and that may come.

I just cant agree that last season the Caps were remarkably coached.....I just cant. That also puts everything right back on the players. While I agree they should be holding their bag of blame....its not the only bag to go around

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 01:42 PM
  #142
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,057
vCash: 500
i will say that i am sorry i posted anything about boudreau. best i can tell there is noone willing to post it that supports boudreau at all. he has zero support here.

the best way to keep the overall negativity at a low rumble around here is to avoid talking about boudreau at all.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 01:53 PM
  #143
Mothra
Registered User
 
Mothra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 7,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i will say that i am sorry i posted anything about boudreau. best i can tell there is noone willing to post it that supports boudreau at all. he has zero support here.

the best way to keep the overall negativity at a low rumble around here is to avoid talking about boudreau at all.
safe...but overkill. Plus....youve never been someone to do (or not do) something because of board response, and I like that.

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 02:06 PM
  #144
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,057
vCash: 500
i am not sure what the best compare for boudreau among the coaches ive watched in my life. i think that boudreau is an awful lot like lefty driesel. big personality that never won the big game. big enough personality that people often claimed he could recruit on personality but couldnt coach.

maybe he's like george allen. big personality who always built great loyalty and won but never the big game. in both lefty and allen's case their bosses didnt like them. to the point of hate in allen's case. boudreau is the opposite of that.

i wonder though if there isnt more tom landry and gary williams in him. landry was a technition much moreso than boudreau, but he failed many times before he won. yet he delivered a team almost every year that had a legit shot to win. the team kept pushing til they did win. gary williams the same way. closer and closer til they got a win, but it took time.

who knows. time will tell

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.