HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

He's all set!

Old
09-26-2011, 02:09 PM
Vermonster

vCash: 500
He's all set!

Well, my 5 year old is all geared up, and ready to start his lessons in a couple of weeks. I never played organized hockey growing up, just frozen ponds and street hockey back in Vermont, but always been a die-hard Bruins fan.

It's pretty cool that out here in southern CA, there are rinks open year round. It's an 8 week introductory class, teaching them skating and hockey basics. Then it's another 8 weeks, and if they want to continue after, they go to the inhouse leagues.

Best part is, it's FREE (First 16 weeks)! Very cool way to get kids involved. He got all dressed up in the kitchen last night to see how he's gonna feel in full pads. Even put his cup on, which he got a kick out of....

Anyway, I am excited and wanted to share. Hope he likes it and wants to continue!

Vermonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:36 PM
Iplayhockehh

Okay this is the make it or brake it part of his hockey career! He is only 13 years away from his draft year!! I know what you're thinking, "wow time totally flew by". But that's okay, here is my plan to get him in shape for the upcoming season. Have him hit the gym 6 times a week, in taking 1.5g of protein PER pound. Lets be realistic and hope that we can get him to 180 pounds of muscle by the end of this. What are his needs? Does he need to bulk up? Or add skating speed? Build your program depending on his needs.

Sorry couldn't resist

Just make sure he's having fun out there. If he isn't, just don't force him to play. I wish him the best

Iplayhockehh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 05:04 PM
Vermonster

Thatnks! I'll work on that stuff.....

Old
09-26-2011, 05:25 PM
beth

The little noobs are my favorite!

My advice as a hockey parent and beginner asst coach: Make sure he knows ahead of time that falling is part of learning, and even the pros fall all the time. Let him take breaks as much as he wants at this age - it is a lot of work for them and some of them get overwhelmed if pushed too fast. Every word out of your mouth as a parent should be a positive one, let the coaches do the coaching. I've watched many a parent suck all the fun right out of hockey for their kids, don't let that be you. And make sure he plays other sports besides hockey.

I hope he has a great time!

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 06:07 PM
Vermonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth View Post
The little noobs are my favorite!

My advice as a hockey parent and beginner asst coach: Make sure he knows ahead of time that falling is part of learning, and even the pros fall all the time. Let him take breaks as much as he wants at this age - it is a lot of work for them and some of them get overwhelmed if pushed too fast. Every word out of your mouth as a parent should be a positive one, let the coaches do the coaching. I've watched many a parent suck all the fun right out of hockey for their kids, don't let that be you. And make sure he plays other sports besides hockey.

I hope he has a great time!
Yeah, he knows about the falling. I told him that's what the pads are for, so when he tried them on the other night, he kept falling down in the living room saying "See Dad, I didn't feel it"....

He also likes baseball and soccer, so we're covered there, I think.

Old
09-27-2011, 06:36 PM
pelts35.com

Just a word of caution about saying it's ok to fall, it's important to tell them that it's not ok to fall on purpose. My 5 year old just started and I see a number of kids who will fall just for the sake of falling, which drives the coach nuts.

Aside from that as long as the kids are having fun is what matters.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 07:53 PM
mhkehoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Just a word of caution about saying it's ok to fall, it's important to tell them that it's not ok to fall on purpose. My 5 year old just started and I see a number of kids who will fall just for the sake of falling, which drives the coach nuts.

Aside from that as long as the kids are having fun is what matters.
My favorite drill was always the slide on the belly and get back up. I know it is meant to train you to get back up while sliding, but it is fun for a kid.

mhkehoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 09:26 PM
beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Nah, it's all good. They're just getting comfortable with falling. And I love seeing them practice doing 360 spins on their knees or whatever. It sounds like those kids would love an obstacle course drill with a superman slide under a stick or something similar. I had a group of kids once that got some extra ice time after practice where I was running that station and I swear they would have slided under that stick all day. It's really fun for them and great for agility.

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 08:52 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth View Post
Nah, it's all good. They're just getting comfortable with falling. And I love seeing them practice doing 360 spins on their knees or whatever. It sounds like those kids would love an obstacle course drill with a superman slide under a stick or something similar. I had a group of kids once that got some extra ice time after practice where I was running that station and I swear they would have slided under that stick all day. It's really fun for them and great for agility.
Beth, we'll agree to disagree on this. Kids will fall enough doing skating drills, they don't need to just fall for the sake of falling and IMO it certainly shouldn't be encouraged.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 11:31 AM
AngryBoss

The best advice I was given as a new hockey dad was this;
"It's like stacking pennies".

You're going to have days where you add pennies to the tower, and some days where you take a few off.
But by the end of the season you've got a stack of them.

Hopefully they keep things simple and fun for the little guys.
I've seen some idiots out there who think doing 12-minutes of C-cuts followed by 12-minutes of T-pushes followed by 8-minutes of crossovers is good for little kids.

Keep it simple and most importantly, keep it FUN.

AngryBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 02:07 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Have fun! Too bad you guys don't have ponds to play on out there.

My 2.5 year old last night said "daddy, I want goalie pads...fall down!" At least in a few years I'll have a target to shoot at LOL

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 02:16 PM
mhkehoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Have fun! Too bad you guys don't have ponds to play on out there.

My 2.5 year old last night said "daddy, I want goalie pads...fall down!" At least in a few years I'll have a target to shoot at LOL
*beings thinking about having kids for a goalie to practice shooting on*

mhkehoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 05:57 PM
Vermonster

Thanks for all the advice guys/gals. He starts either the 4th or the 11th. Fun, fun!

Old
09-28-2011, 11:43 PM
Albino14u

just a note on the little ones falling, I've never discouraged my son (5 years old) from falling and he got it out of his system (for the most part) after his first 3-4 months of skating. Sometimes it actually does hurt even with all thoughs pads but because they had all that fun falling, they know that normally it doesn't hurt so they're still not afraid to fall and skate or skate and fall.

Albino14u is offline   Reply With Quote