HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pens' preseason telecast higher rated than regular season average of all but 2 teams

Old
09-28-2011, 11:42 AM
PensFanSince1989

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iffyiffiffer View Post
5+ seasons of watching a talented offense be squandered through bumbling coaching and a horrible offensive line doesn't really make it all that enjoyable to watch.
Since 2005, the Steelers have made it to the Superbowl 3 times, winning it twice. How spoiled can Steelers fans get?

PensFanSince1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 11:59 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Which adds to the reason why the Pens organization and Root should show all preseason games. More revenue if that many people are watching.
The league, and broadcasting powers that be, know these stats and it does make a difference. We have been in the winter classic twice already and always get a ton of national games. This is more the exception than the rule, and does not bother me that much.

I posted it originally as the 9000 plus season ticket holder waiting list number actually surprised me, and because that article should be bookmarked for easy reference for the thousand times some brain dead fan of another fan base (we all know the two or three that produce the most likely culprets over and over and over) slams Pittsburgh as a hockey town.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 02:00 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
It's not hard to see why that is though. We have an extremely likeable team stacked with guys whom are just as great off the ice as they are on the ice.

Not to say that the other guys on the other 29 teams aren't likeable as most of them are...don't get me wrong. But there's just been something about our current squads over the last few years that has made them stand out from the rest. It's like, you can relate alot more to their personalities perhaps and they remind us of people may we know???
I think the young fanbase is just so enthusiastic. These younger kids bleed this team, and to be real honest, I think if you cut the younger demographic and polled what sport is their #1...most of them would say hockey.

I think Pittsburgh has a great counter balance though. There's a large older fanbase also that bleeds the team just as much...they just aren't as vocal. They sometimes get left out of the resurgence of sorts that has happened, but they are just as big of a part.

A lot of these kids who are rabid fans now, their love started because of their parents. That's why when people knock expansion markets, you sort of have to look at it that way. For a team to catch on, it needs generations. Granted...if the 1st generation isn't coming out, the 2nd, 3rd, and so on probably won't either, but that's moot.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 02:07 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I think the young fanbase is just so enthusiastic. These younger kids bleed this team, and to be real honest, I think if you cut the younger demographic and polled what sport is their #1...most of them would say hockey.

I think Pittsburgh has a great counter balance though. There's a large older fanbase also that bleeds the team just as much...they just aren't as vocal. They sometimes get left out of the resurgence of sorts that has happened, but they are just as big of a part.

A lot of these kids who are rabid fans now, their love started because of their parents. That's why when people knock expansion markets, you sort of have to look at it that way. For a team to catch on, it needs generations. Granted...if the 1st generation isn't coming out, the 2nd, 3rd, and so on probably won't either, but that's moot.
I certainly agree with this. When the NHL left Atlanta they left the 8th largest televising market in the country. Anyone who thinks that was not a set back long term is deluding themselves. It takes a long time for a market to build. Like companies who invested in places like China a couple decades ago are just reaping the rewards, big time, now. People just do not seem to get that investing long term in markets like these is a good thing for the sport.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 02:14 PM
Dread Pirate Roberts

Atlanta? Burn it again.

Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote