HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Matt Read (thread started in 2011)

Closed Thread

Old
09-28-2011, 02:50 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

vCash: 500
caveat

Old
09-28-2011, 10:11 PM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
caveat

Old
09-29-2011, 04:12 AM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
I haven't seen any preseason games, would anyone mind giving me their impression of him so far?

Appreciate it.
He reminds me a lot of Powe but with better offensive abilities.

I remember how everyone here (ok, not EVERYONE but a lot of you) were falling all over yourselves about Powe and saying how he needed to be in our top 9 and some even wanted him as a regular top 6. Powe is a 4th liner and PKer who can fill-in on the top 9 when needed but he doesn't have the offensive abilities to be a consistant top 9 guy.

Right now Read is making a name for himself by hustling his butt off. Good for him, he's making himself a valuable asset to the team right now but lets not get ahead of ourselves. Right now he'd probably be best used as a 4th line PKer or on the 3rd line with our shut-down line (where he can use his "smarts" to stop the other teams top line). Remember, with the exception of them HAVING to jump up into the top 6 because of injuries, none of Richards, Carter, Giroux and JVR played in our top 6 as rookies and sorry but Read isn't anywhere close to the abilities of any of those 4. He'll be a bottom 6 guy for us for now and that's fine with me.

Old
09-29-2011, 04:26 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I completely disagree with everything you posted.

Read has proven that he is an offensive threat. His speed makes him a dangerous player on the ice, and looks to be a perfect linemate for a third offensive line in Schenn and Simmonds.

Old
09-29-2011, 04:33 AM
OzFlyer
Registered Boozer

I have been high on Read since he was signed out of college and then tore up the AHL.
Who cares if he did not go through the usual system? He either has it or he doesn't and so far he has shown that he has the skills and drive to be a NHL player.

Old
09-29-2011, 06:00 AM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post

I remember how everyone here (ok, not EVERYONE but a lot of you) were falling all over yourselves about Powe and saying how he needed to be in our top 9 and some even wanted him as a regular top 6. Powe is a 4th liner and PKer who can fill-in on the top 9 when needed but he doesn't have the offensive abilities to be a consistant top 9 guy.

Right now Read is making a name for himself by hustling his butt off. Good for him, he's making himself a valuable asset to the team right now but lets not get ahead of ourselves. Right now he'd probably be best used as a 4th line PKer or on the 3rd line with our shut-down line (where he can use his "smarts" to stop the other teams top line). Remember, with the exception of them HAVING to jump up into the top 6 because of injuries, none of Richards, Carter, Giroux and JVR played in our top 6 as rookies and sorry but Read isn't anywhere close to the abilities of any of those 4. He'll be a bottom 6 guy for us for now and that's fine with me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
I completely disagree with everything you posted.

Read has proven that he is an offensive threat. His speed makes him a dangerous player on the ice, and looks to be a perfect linemate for a third offensive line in Schenn and Simmonds.
Appreciate both feedback...personally even if Read turned out to be another Powe i'd be happy with that. If he turns out to have more upside and possibly cracks Top 9, all the better. I'm not the kind of guy to count my chickens before they hatch...especially before they go in my puddin'....or something like that.

Kind of excited to see him for myself, I need to catch a game.

Old
09-29-2011, 08:15 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post

I don't think it works comparing him to Powe at all. Other than that though, I pretty much agree with you.

Read came up pretty much noted for his offensive abilities having had that great finish to the last season up in Adirondack, but has shown so far that he has more to his game than that. He has been really solid on the pk and works well in all areas of the ice so far.

Powe, on the other hand, had 23 pts in a full AHL season before he made the Flyers (and a strong start to the next season, I'll admit) but stood out with his speed and energy. This was before my time on these boards, so I don't really know what was said about him at the time. I've always liked Powe though, and would've preferred to have seen him in the top 9 rather than someone like Carcillo, but I agree that he is a 4th liner who can step up if needed for a few games.

I agree that we shouldn't expect Read to be a top six player, and I'm still a bit sceptical about him being able to hold on for a full season.

Old
09-29-2011, 08:24 AM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky

That's a horrible comparison. Read is nothing like Powe.

Old
09-29-2011, 10:08 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I miss Powe.

Old
09-29-2011, 10:58 AM
kicksave27

It's always good to be cautious about preseason performance. I know people bring up Jon Sim. But when it comes to prospects, anyone remember Petr Hubacek. sp? He looked great in preseason, saw a few games in the regular season never to be heard from again. Not saying Read will do the same thing, just saying a preseason does not a career make.

Old
10-18-2011, 07:44 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Thread deserves a bump considering Read's performance against the Sens thus far...

Old
10-18-2011, 08:04 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
Thread deserves a bump considering Read's performance against the Sens thus far...
I like the first page

Old
10-18-2011, 08:29 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Read has shown he can keep up in the NHL, now he just needs to show if he can do it for 82 games and playoffs. Of course, if he can't do that this year it's no big deal. Regardless of how he plays out this season, we have a lot to look forward to from this guy in the future.

10-18-2011, 09:03 PM
AaronTrieu

4 pt night. what a guy

Old
10-18-2011, 09:15 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronTrieu View Post
4 pt night. what a guy
6 points in 5 games...

on pace for 98 points this season

Old
10-18-2011, 09:18 PM
bungle
Casual Observer

He's kind of reminding me of Sami Kapanen. Hope he's able to keep this up.

Old
10-18-2011, 09:21 PM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
He was a beast tonight.

Old
10-18-2011, 09:25 PM
Snipsnap12

what a steal by homer, this kid could turn out to be one of homer's best moves ever.

Old
10-18-2011, 09:31 PM
mirimon

He looks great so far. Best part is he doesn't really show any glaring weaknesses in his game, most rookies have at least a few that stand out, where they were able to get by on a lower level, but not so much in the NHL. He's very well rounded.

Old
10-18-2011, 09:36 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
He looks great so far. Best part is he doesn't really show any glaring weaknesses in his game, most rookies have at least a few that stand out, where they were able to get by on a lower level, but not so much in the NHL. He's very well rounded.
his defensive zone play has been so clean and sound.

Old
10-18-2011, 09:38 PM
healthyscratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I miss Powe.
Please put this under your screen name.

Old
10-18-2011, 10:09 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
boggles my mind how a 25 year old college FA is so overrated around here.
He is not doing bad so far. Maybe you will change your mind now. He looks like a keeper. Well done Holmgren.

Old
10-18-2011, 10:19 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Read has shown he can keep up in the NHL, now he just needs to show if he can do it for 82 games and playoffs. Of course, if he can't do that this year it's no big deal. Regardless of how he plays out this season, we have a lot to look forward to from this guy in the future.
I understand your concerns about the possibility of him burning out. However his being 25 and not a slight kid should help him later on in the season. If I was Harts and Nodl I would be slightly worried. With the young talent we have and with a lot of picks in the next two drafts. I am stoked to the max about our future. So far so good.

Old
10-18-2011, 10:20 PM
Unstable

So, I just realized today that Read is wearing #24. (I'm an idiot, I know.)

Sign of great things to come?

I am intrigued.

Old
10-18-2011, 10:27 PM
Snipsnap12

Does anyone else think that he skates and looks almost identical to giroux on the ice. The ottawa announcers thought it was giroux when he scores the first goal, and they did not realize it was read until abou a minute later.

Closed Thread