HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Islanders to Honor 1992-93 Team on October 29

Old
09-28-2011, 04:10 PM
TheBoss22

vCash: 500
Islanders to Honor 1992-93 Team on October 29

http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.h...id=DL|NYI|home

Too bad Healy and Ferraro will probably be double booked with their broadcasting gigs.

TheBoss22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 04:16 PM
Brunomics

As long as this is a one time deal and never spoken about again. They cheapened the cups enough with all those special days honoring everyone, their mothers and first cousins.

Next thing you know in 10 years there will be a Shawn Bates night and they will replay the penalty shot inbetween periods and at each stoppage. ugh.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 04:22 PM
OpAck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss22 View Post

Too bad Healy and Ferraro will probably be double booked with their broadcasting gigs.
Oh, I'm sure they'll both be on the air doing some Leaf game and making sure to comment on how pathetic the team is. Ferraro more so than Healy...who last night seemed to be reading off a Canadian anti-Islander talking points memo from 2007.

I do like that they'll be honoring that team. But yeah...Pierre is already going to be in attendance. Why not just surprise us all by nominating him and maybe even a few of the others in the NYI Hall of Fame? I'd put him in that spot over Flatley, to be honest. I know I'm not the only one that became a diehard Islander fan watching that team and watching our star player light it up.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 04:39 PM
And You Feel Shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
As long as this is a one time deal and never spoken about again. They cheapened the cups enough with all those special days honoring everyone, their mothers and first cousins.

Next thing you know in 10 years there will be a Shawn Bates night and they will replay the penalty shot inbetween periods and at each stoppage. ugh.
Yeah, like the Yankees parading Joe DiMaggio out every Old-Timer's Day in the 70s and 80s - so cheap and pandering!

Seriously, the only problem I have had with the last 15 years+ of honoring the cup years is that it was clear that it was all we had to cling to. Now that there is some growing optimism around this team, it's a good thing to have our young players see the honoring of the greats - even the almost greats. A night honoring the wonderful playoff run of 1993 is a great thing and shows young players (and fans!) that the franchise has depth beyond the 4 cup years.

And You Feel Shame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 04:54 PM
RWWallpaper

Since when do teams celebrate former teams that failed to even make it out of their own Conference FFS?

...I guess they went with this soon after the plans to retire Mikko Makela's number were nixed after they discovered he had a scheduling conflict that night...

RWWallpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 04:58 PM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWWallpaper View Post
Since when do teams celebrate former teams that failed to even make it out of their own Conference FFS?

...I guess they went with this soon after the plans to retire Mikko Makela's number were nixed after they discovered he had a scheduling conflict that night...
Come on man! Don't be so harsh, it's the only memory I have from a successful exciting Isles team. This team is the reason I am an Isles fan. I just purchased the dynasty package. I hope its a good game.

Turgeon is going to be in the building people!

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 05:01 PM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumanperro View Post
Come on man! Don't be so harsh, it's the only memory I have from a successful exciting Isles team. This team is the reason I am an Isles fan. I just purchased the dynasty package. I hope its a good game.

Turgeon is going to be in the building people!
Same Here. Im hoping to get tickets and go but will have to find a babysitter first.

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 05:01 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

While were at it, can we get the Game 1 - 2003 Isles/Sens Garth Snow shut out commemorative night???

I remember it vividly because I was in the hospital with a herniated disc and I had a radio walk man to listen to the game lol

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 05:03 PM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
While were at it, can we get the Game 1 - 2003 Isles/Sens Garth Snow shut out commemorative night???

I remember it vividly because I was in the hospital with a herniated disc and I had a radio walk man to listen to the game lol
First thing I thought of was Major League II "I love this English **** I may move to England!!!!!!!!!"

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 05:27 PM
beLIever

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss22 View Post

1. If they're having this night, are they going to raise that Patrick Division banner that a former ownership group thought unneccessary to raise and instead raffled off to a fan?
2. If Healy shows up, I will have to boo that tool for all the rotten things he says about the Islanders on HNIC. Nothing he did in the '93 playoffs outweighs the jerkiness he's shown since...

beLIever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 05:33 PM
TheBoss22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanof31 View Post
1. If they're having this night, are they going to raise that Patrick Division banner that a former ownership group thought unneccessary to raise and instead raffled off to a fan?
2. If Healy shows up, I will have to boo that tool for all the rotten things he says about the Islanders on HNIC. Nothing he did in the '93 playoffs outweighs the jerkiness he's shown since...
What Healy and Ferraro say about the current club is no different than the posters on this message board.

Deep down they have a great affinity for the logo on the front of the jersey and want the NYI to return to their winning ways (from decades past).

Old
09-28-2011, 05:42 PM
OpAck

I believe that team definitely deserves to be honored. Especially in the unique circumstance...in that...that was the last truly great Islander team. It's kind of pathetic when you think about it...but it's pretty true.

It was the last team that Torrey assembled...and was disassembled once Maloney had a full offseason to think about the changes he wanted to make. And boy, were those changes some doozies. I can't believe that...by the start of the 95-96 season...only about 3 years after that great Cup run...Green, McInnis, Dalgarno, Kasparaitis, King, Vaske, Vukota, Lachance, and Pilon were the only remaining members of that team. The goalies were gone in the first year...crucial pieces like Turgeon, Thomas, Ferrarro, Malakhov and Hogue were gone by the start of 1995-96 season. That is so pathetic.

Old
09-28-2011, 05:44 PM
TheBoss22

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
I believe that team definitely deserves to be honored. Especially in the unique circumstance...in that...that was the last truly great Islander team. It's kind of pathetic when you think about it...but it's pretty true.

It was the last team that Torrey assembled...and was disassembled once Maloney had a full offseason to think about the changes he wanted to make. And boy, were those changes some doozies. I can't believe that...by the start of the 95-96 season...only about 3 years after that great Cup run...Green, McInnis, Dalgarno, Kasparaitis, King, Vaske, Vukota, Lachance, and Pilon were the only remaining members of that team. The goalies were gone in the first year...crucial pieces like Turgeon, Thomas, Ferrarro, Malakhov and Hogue were gone by the start of 1995-96 season. That is so pathetic.
Yeah but Maloney finally made it up to the org by giving us Montoya!!!

Old
09-28-2011, 06:42 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
Oh, I'm sure they'll both be on the air doing some Leaf game and making sure to comment on how pathetic the team is. Ferraro more so than Healy...who last night seemed to be reading off a Canadian anti-Islander talking points memo from 2007.

I do like that they'll be honoring that team. But yeah...Pierre is already going to be in attendance. Why not just surprise us all by nominating him and maybe even a few of the others in the NYI Hall of Fame? I'd put him in that spot over Flatley, to be honest. I know I'm not the only one that became a diehard Islander fan watching that team and watching our star player light it up.
its funny because I thought it was a flames broadcast...... Every one outside of Howie Rose And Butch look to take shots at the Isles whenever they can.....The coments made during the game really got me upset......even weeks in studio.....nobody had anything positive to say....

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 08:05 PM
beLIever

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
its funny because I thought it was a flames broadcast...... Every one outside of Howie Rose And Butch look to take shots at the Isles whenever they can.....The coments made during the game really got me upset......even weeks in studio.....nobody had anything positive to say....
I think McLennan had something positive to say during the second intermission...about being drafted by the team and how they were a storied franchise and he hopes they can rebuild. Or am I just wishfully thinking someone said something favorable?

beLIever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 09:13 PM
Hip Of Rick

Very very weak... this was not a cup team or anything unique, it was a LOSING playoff team... cheap gimmik to sell ticks

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 10:10 PM
Isles Junkie

Don't want Ferraro there anyway. He's a ******

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 11:47 PM
OpAck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanof31 View Post
I think McLennan had something positive to say during the second intermission...about being drafted by the team and how they were a storied franchise and he hopes they can rebuild. Or am I just wishfully thinking someone said something favorable?
Actually, I got to listen to Ferraro, and in between whining about how Quebec still needs a team and how Yashin is still getting paid by the team for many more years...he did say that he loved his time there or he knows this team has alot of promise.

Old
09-29-2011, 10:20 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 50
Quote:

Teams who haven't won a playoff series since that time, and who's last Cup Championship teams are now collecting Social Security.

While that was a hell of a fun team to watch and them beating Pittsburgh that year was insane and one of my coolest memories in high school, I dont really htink they deserve the honor.

Are we going to honor the '84 team that lost the Cup Final at some point too?

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 10:58 AM
RWWallpaper

Exactly Ice...it's makes us look pathetic. How about the team that came back from 3-1 down and won game 7 in 4 OT's back in 87 next? How far away are we from seeing them brought down for a special night?

...we have retired all the numbers that need to be retired (maybe Tonelli) and honored the **** out of all the teams who won those Championships...time to move along and look forward here.

Last edited by RWWallpaper: 09-29-2011 at 11:05 AM.
RWWallpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 11:23 AM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
Quote:
Exactly Ice...it's makes us look pathetic. How about the team that came back from 3-1 down and won game 7 in 4 OT's back in 87 next? How far away are we from seeing them brought down for a special night?

...we have retired all the numbers that need to be retired (maybe Tonelli) and honored the **** out of all the teams who won those Championships...time to move along and look forward here.
Look foward yes but not forget our history. Would you forget the easter epic? That wasn't a cup wining team but it was a great moment in our history.

Many people on this board have the luxury of saying I've seen this team win cups. My generation has only this taste of success. This team is the reason me, living in NJ, became an isles fan. I would like to see them honored. They were a mini-miracle team and (lets face it) THE ONLY POSITIVE thing to come out the 90's for Islanders hockey.

What else would you like to honor from the 90's? Horrible management? Terrible Jerseys? Putrid attendance? Clueless scouting/drafting/trading?

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 12:16 PM
Doshell Propivo

I'm on board with the rest of you who think this cheapens the value of ACTUAL accomplishments. I'm sure it will be a fun night however and it will be great for all those in attendance to see those old faces an reminisce a little about what was actually a fun little team.

As far as Healy's and Ferraro's criticism of the team goes, much (most) of what they say is spot on and well deserved. It does make me a little sad as they were playoff warriors for our team who really gave their heart and soul during that magical run.

My opinion: enough with the honoring of the past. We've honored it enough already. Anything else is at best overkill or at worst embarrassing.

Save it for when we once again have something legitimate to honor.

Doshell Propivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 12:18 PM
Doshell Propivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumanperro View Post

What else would you like to honor from the 90's? Horrible management? Terrible Jerseys? Putrid attendance? Clueless scouting/drafting/trading?
Why do you have to honor anything from the 90's? Nothing is worthy IMO.

Old
09-29-2011, 12:54 PM
PJGooch

Quote:
Exactly Ice...it's makes us look pathetic.
Our on-ice performance since 1993 is what makes us look pathetic. Honoring a team from nearly 20 years ago that remains near and dear to many fans on one night in October will barely register with anyone outside of Islander fans. There are probably a thousand examples across pro sports where tradition and history is "cheapened" worse than this.

Just wait, if/when a new arena is built, you'll probably be able to drink martinis out of a Stanley Cup at the "Champions Club," grab a foot-long frank at "Dynasty Dogz," a cappuccino from "Four Straight Cups...o' Joe!", meet the rest of your group at the corner of Arbour Ave. and Potvin Way, and so on.

PJGooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 01:20 PM
Doshell Propivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJGooch View Post
Our on-ice performance since 1993 is what makes us look pathetic. Honoring a team from nearly 20 years ago that remains near and dear to many fans on one night in October will barely register with anyone outside of Islander fans. There are probably a thousand examples across pro sports where tradition and history is "cheapened" worse than this.

Just wait, if/when a new arena is built, you'll probably be able to drink martinis out of a Stanley Cup at the "Champions Club," grab a foot-long frank at "Dynasty Dogz," a cappuccino from "Four Straight Cups...o' Joe!", meet the rest of your group at the corner of Arbour Ave. and Potvin Way, and so on.
Actually, at this rate, there will also be the "Mediocrity Margarita" bar, the "Benoit Hoagies" stand, and you'll be able to buy a "Volek Veggie Burger." They will also raise a banner every opening night of every season that reads "We tried really hard last year!"