HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Will Lavy stick to his guns ?

Old
09-28-2011, 12:55 PM
SgtJoseph

vCash: 500
Will Lavy stick to his guns ?

Getting curious as to whether players who have the best pre season will be getting the nod when the season starts, or if the amount of $$$$$$$$$ a player makes will be the deciding factor for a few starters....For example, BOB and Bryz have both played 2 games, and BOB has a shut out and only gave up 1 goal in another game, as compared to Bryz given up quite a few more goals [ although he did not play bad in my opinion ].
Last season BOB was given the start because of his overall body of work during camp and the pre season.Do any of you see BOB getting the same start on opening night if he continues to play well ? Or do you think the large contract $$$$$$$$$ that Bryz signed and his past overall body of work will give him the job no matter what ? There are a few other competitive situations going on as well that will be interesting.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 12:59 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
Getting curious as to whether players who have the best pre season will be getting the nod when the season starts, or if the amount of $$$$$$$$$ a player makes will be the deciding factor for a few starters....For example, BOB and Bryz have both played 2 games, and BOB has a shut out and only gave up 1 goal in another game, as compared to Bryz given up quite a few more goals [ although he did not play bad in my opinion ].
Last season BOB was given the start because of his overall body of work during camp and the pre season.Do any of you see BOB getting the same start on opening night if he continues to play well ? Or do you think the large contract $$$$$$$$$ that Bryz signed and his past overall body of work will give him the job no matter what ? There are a few other competitive situations going on as well that will be interesting.
What? There is no tangible camp battle for starting goalie. That much has been obvious all along. Bryzgalov is the better goalie and of course he will start.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 01:02 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

While I do think Bob has looked sharper than Bryz so far...Bryz hasn't done anything to dislodge him from being the obvious starter. If Holmgren and Snider get any indication that Lavy is going to suit up Bob over Bryz.....Holmgren and Snider will personally come down in the locker room and undress Bob and suit up Bryz..jock and all!

oh and Snider will helicopter him onto center ice against Boston with his personal helo....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 01:03 PM
Haute Couturier

There is no competition. Brzygalov is your starter. Laviolette isn't going to change his mind over 2 pre-season starts.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 01:15 PM
PuckBoy33

By "sticking to his guns" do you mean . . .

wearing that hideous orange tie almost every home game?

PuckBoy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 01:17 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
There is no competition. Brzygalov is your starter. Laviolette isn't going to change his mind over 2 pre-season starts.
I agree that only 2 pre season starts is not a huge deal......but Lavys last season's criteria was overall body of work through out training camp, pre season etc, and based on that Bob has the edge at the moment.....Having said that, i Like Bryz and am glad he is here and i know he has a good career resume which along with his big contract will be the trump card BOB will have to deal with all year long.

Old
09-28-2011, 02:32 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

You are trying to create something out of nothing. Bryz will be the starter this year.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 04:05 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

You really think it'd be a good idea to start off a relationship with your new franchise goaltender, who you just signed to a big and long term contract, by benching him on opening night?

hmm

Regardless of who has played better this off season, we signed Bryz for a reason, and we need him to be confident and feel as if he is trusted as the starting goaltender on this team. I don't care how mentally tough a player is, if you're not confident, you're not playing well. Philly fans and the philly media are going to let you know about it, and unless you're an android, it's going to alter your mindset a bit. We don't want that.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 05:37 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
You really think it'd be a good idea to start off a relationship with your new franchise goaltender, who you just signed to a big and long term contract, by benching him on opening night?

hmm

Regardless of who has played better this off season, we signed Bryz for a reason, and we need him to be confident and feel as if he is trusted as the starting goaltender on this team. I don't care how mentally tough a player is, if you're not confident, you're not playing well. Philly fans and the philly media are going to let you know about it, and unless you're an android, it's going to alter your mindset a bit. We don't want that.
No where did i say it was or was not a good idea etc......Just asking if LAVY is going to do what he says he did in the past......Going with the hot hand,giving it to the person who earns it in camp etc.

Old
09-28-2011, 05:43 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
No where did i say it was or was not a good idea etc......Just asking if LAVY is going to do what he says he did in the past......Going with the hot hand,giving it to the person who earns it in camp etc.
This sort of reminds me of the price debacle last year, he was average in the preseason then was fine when it counted. Bryz will lock it down no doubt about it.

As bad as it is to say young guys seem to more often than not play very well in the preseason because they are focused and playing at 100% to prove themselves, while veterans might just be taking it easy ya know? It might not even be on purpose but subconsciously they know it is just preseason.

Bryz carried a very mediocre coyotes team to the playoffs in a tough western conference two years in a row, if we get even that same play the flyers are laughing.

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 07:28 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 View Post
This sort of reminds me of the price debacle last year, he was average in the preseason then was fine when it counted. Bryz will lock it down no doubt about it.

As bad as it is to say young guys seem to more often than not play very well in the preseason because they are focused and playing at 100% to prove themselves, while veterans might just be taking it easy ya know? It might not even be on purpose but subconsciously they know it is just preseason.

Bryz carried a very mediocre coyotes team to the playoffs in a tough western conference two years in a row, if we get even that same play the flyers are laughing.
This ^

Bryzgalov has a whole 60 plus games ahead of him....let the guy warm up. He's not Bob with his insane dryland training that has him sharp right now. Bryzgalov knows what it takes to get his game in gear....not worried. Now if 15 games in he's avg then not cool but it might be more a reflection of the team just trying to gel. As long as he holds his own in the beginning we will be fine...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 10:49 PM
captainpaxil

the presumption is that bryz will start because he is and will be the better goalie and thatll be the case so long as its true. lavvy is a guy who won games with leighton hes not going to be impressed with his paycheck. if he brings the suck hell get the hook.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 01:22 AM
Snipsnap12

I tend to think if bryz is playing so bad that bob turns into our number 1 we are in extreme trouble, not because bob is bad but because its likely the team and bryz are into total dissaray

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 03:14 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Also it's allot easier to "go with the hot hand" when your choices are Bobrovsky and Boosh.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 09:49 PM
Damaged Goods

I think he chose the right goalie to open the season.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote