HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Burke on Prime Time Sports

Old
09-28-2011, 06:20 PM
FlareKnight

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
Not really. Burke could have extended Wilson by now if he really wanted, that would have been the path of least resistance. He chose not to do it thusly putting Wilson under the gun to perform early and consistantly. He will have a very hard time justifying a contract extension if the Leafs are struggling. He could have taken the easy route with his BFF and chose not to.
Yet he also said if the team gets off to a good start that he'll look at handing Wilson that extension. Really what he needs is a good excuse to give Wilson that new contract. Regardless of how the year turns out, he just needs a good enough stretch early.

FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 06:25 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
All Burkes moves (really his reason for living) are made to keep his good friend employed. Would Wilson ever have a hope of getting a job in this League if his buddy didn't run a team? Hasn't Burke protected him his whole career?
lmao RW had no problem getting a job in the league for, you know, a decade+ of coaching in the nhl before being under burke

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 06:27 PM
ACC1224
Steelers 9-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield View Post
lmao RW had no problem getting a job in the league for you know, the decade coaching in the nhl before being under burke
Don't underestimate Burkes influence around the League. He'd stop at nothing to protect his long time love.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez View Post

"He still has some holes in his game, he's not that strong yet. But boy can he skate. We're a different team with him in the lineup"
I think that almost guarantees that he's in the lineup.

080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 06:29 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 2200
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Burke did state that the coaching had become stale and that is why he made the change to the assistants. Hope that helps you.

I doubt that Wilson feels as comfortable as you have invented that he is.
So he was happy with coaching but it became stale ? I don't know what that supposed to mean but if it was "stale" why wasn't the entire staff let go ?

I didn't say Wilson was comfortable , i said BB would look for any reason to extend him. Eventually the team has to perform on the ice . BB can't keep using the "he doesn't have the pieces excuse" year after year .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 06:29 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimShady View Post
So it's looking like

Phaneuf - Franson
Schenn - Liles
Gunnarsson - Komisarek/Gardiner

with Aulie going back to the A. Seems reasonable to me. Aulie has been alright but has only played 40 games in the NHL regular season. Aulie would clearly benefit from more time in the AHL. The way Gunnarsson has been playing, and with almost 3 times as many games in the big league compared to Aulie there's no way they send him down. I can't really see Gunnarsson benefiting from more time in the AHL at this point either. Gardiner has been great so they will give him a try, if he sucks, Aulie will come back up.

As much as people might want to send Komisarek to the Marlies it's not going to happen.
Agree with what you said, but that lineup will never happen. Franson and Phaneuf are two of the least mobile defensemen. Franson will remain on the 3rd pairing and used in PP situations.

Liles and Schenn seem to be locks, it's all about who can play enough minutes to be partnered with Phaneuf, while playing the left side. Who knows, it could be Gardiner. The 3rd pairing is whoever is playing best at that time.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 06:32 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
So he was happy with coaching but it became stale ? I don't know what that supposed to mean but if it was "stale" why wasn't the entire staff let go ?

I didn't say Wilson was comfortable , i said BB would look for any reason to extend him. Eventually the team has to perform on the ice . BB can't keep using the "he doesn't have the pieces excuse" year after year .
Burke said that Wilson hasn't had the pieces implying that this year he does.

Sorry if I misinterpreted Burke having Wilson as his BFF and would use any means to help him keep his job as you saying that Wilson feels comfortable.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 06:35 PM
Faltorvo

What i learned from all this is that Peddy is actually still the Prez, nice little duck and cover PR move by MLSE. No big shock there.

Secondly, regardless what Gardiner does for the rest of the pre season , he will be starting the season down in the AHL. With the rules BB has in place and what he said about the other D, i just don't see any way around that out come.

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 06:39 PM
hotpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Burke said that Wilson hasn't had the pieces implying that this year he does.

Sorry if I misinterpreted Burke having Wilson as his BFF and would use any means to help him keep his job as you saying that Wilson feels comfortable.
Didn't he say the same thing last year as well ?

The team still has to eventually improve . Another bottom 10 finish and even BB will run out of excuses to keep his buddy employed .

Old
09-28-2011, 06:41 PM
TeamBester
Debunked

Quote:
Didn't he say the same thing last year as well ?

The team still has to eventually improve . Another bottom 10 finish and even BB will run out of excuses to keep his buddy employed .
Nah, he still has the "injury card" to play. Looking like it might be a good year.

TeamBester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 06:44 PM
hotpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
What i learned from all this is that Peddy is actually still the Prez, nice little duck and cover PR move by MLSE. No big shock there.
Peddie should run the business side . He's done a great job on that end and it also frees up BB to concentrate on the team.

Old
09-28-2011, 06:45 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:

Speaking of excuses, you are just looking for an excuse to bash Burke, despite Burke admitting he hasn't gotten the job done for RW and holding RW accountable this season, having to earn an extention.

Are you at least willing to give them a chance to see how this season goes before deciding they suck again? Or is the outcome of this season decided.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 06:46 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield View Post
lmao RW had no problem getting a job in the league for, you know, a decade+ of coaching in the nhl before being under burke
No he's just had a problem winning for like a decade + the last 3 years with the Leafs. Not sure what the fascination is with the longest serving coaches NEVER to win a Stanley Cup.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 06:47 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez View Post
Some of the main points (completely paraphrased)

Reimer:

-Reimer's sudden acension was no fluke. it's a combination of a big, athletic kid with great work ethic, and the advantage he's been given to learn from Allaire as a goalie coach.
-You need to have great work ethic to work with Allaire because he works his goalies like dogs.

Gardiner:

-When he trade for Gardiner he told him up front that he likes to put his young guys in the AHL, thinks time spent in the AHL is valuable (named Penner, Getzlaf, Perry, Ryan, etc).
-But he's playing so well that he could very well make the team.
-But he'll only be up with the big squad if he's playing, he won't be with the Leafs just to sit in the press box.

"He still has some holes in his game, he's not that strong yet. But boy can he skate. We're a different team with him in the lineup"

Aulie:

-Had a great second half for us last year.
-Not considering sending him down to the AHL at this point. But if he's up he'll be playing, not sitting most games in the press box.

Komisarek:

-Been very happy with Komisarek's camp so far.
-He's a guy (like Beauchemin) who tried to do too much to justify his contract and the fans got on him a bit. But look for him to settle into his proper role and excel.
-If Gardiner is up, they're looking at those two as partners.
-Komisarek is a great positive presence in the room, great with young guys, great work ethic, WE WANT HIM IN THE ROOM WITH OUR YOUNG PLAYERS.

Wilson:

-He's done a good job based on the players he's been given to work with.
-Notes that the team is 6 games over .500 since Phaneuf trade.
-Says Wilson hasn't lost the room: no player grumblings, no agents calling asking for a trade, etc.
-I (burke) have not given him enough firepower to make him successful.
-Every NHL coach's job is on the line, Wilson is no different
-If team gets off to a good start, Wilson could get an extension
Ahh yes, the Getzlaf/Perry bull **** line again. They played 17 and 19 games in the AHL for crying out loud.

Last edited by Squiffy: 09-29-2011 at 02:16 PM. Reason: circumventing filter
Old
09-28-2011, 06:47 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Don't underestimate Burkes influence around the League. He'd stop at nothing to protect his long time love.
okay, so now you're just trolling..

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 06:48 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Secondly, regardless what Gardiner does for the rest of the pre season , he will be starting the season down in the AHL. With the rules BB has in place and what he said about the other D, i just don't see any way around that out come.
I agree with you. But I don't think Gardiner will be down long.

Old
09-28-2011, 06:51 PM
dimi78

Quote:
Burke says he didn't give Wilson the pieces yet he had no problem letting go 2 of his asst's ? Burke sounds like he'll use any excuse to reward his BFF with a new deal .
I can see why that seems hypocritical but at the end of the day is he wrong? I don't think so. You have to look at the big picture here Wilson is one of the better coaches with a track record in taking over bad teams and growing young teams into top notch teams which is exactly the situation this team is in. He's done it every team he's been on even the expansion Ducks he coached them into playoff teams the only difference is that the markets he was in before weren't calling for his head before there was an actual team ready to take that step into playoffs and beyond.

Say what you will about Wilson he's been fantastic for the youth of this team and that's why he's keeping his job and if this team continues on how it played the second half of last year the organization is better off in re-signing him to continue the growth of what looks like a darn good cast of a young team to mature to the point where we the fans expect to happen over night.

dimi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 06:52 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Ahh yes, the Getzlaf/Perry bull **** line again. They played 17 and 19 games in the AHL for crying out loud.
So what your saying is, when players prove they are ready, they play. He doesn't leave them down needlessly.

How many has Gardiner played?

Last edited by Squiffy: 09-29-2011 at 02:16 PM. Reason: quote
Old
09-28-2011, 06:53 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimShady View Post
So it's looking like

Phaneuf - Franson
Schenn - Liles
Gunnarsson - Komisarek/Gardiner

with Aulie going back to the A. Seems reasonable to me. Aulie has been alright but has only played 40 games in the NHL regular season. Aulie would clearly benefit from more time in the AHL. The way Gunnarsson has been playing, and with almost 3 times as many games in the big league compared to Aulie there's no way they send him down. I can't really see Gunnarsson benefiting from more time in the AHL at this point either. Gardiner has been great so they will give him a try, if he sucks, Aulie will come back up.

As much as people might want to send Komisarek to the Marlies it's not going to happen.
Komi can't be sent down, it's in his contract. NMC

Gunnar won't be sent down , he would have to clear waivers and frankly i believe Aulie is safe thanks to the improved play of Dion with KA on the other side.

I don't see a trade pending , knowing BBs want for D depth in the system , so i see JG being sent down to run the PP in the AHL.

Old
09-28-2011, 06:53 PM
KingBuzzo
A custom title.

Gardiner played 10 game as a Marlie last year, right?

KingBuzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 06:56 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBuzzo View Post
Gardiner played 10 game as a Marlie last year, right?
That is correct.

Old
09-28-2011, 06:58 PM
hotpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
Speaking of excuses, you are just looking for an excuse to bash Burke, despite Burke admitting he hasn't gotten the job done for RW and holding RW accountable this season, having to earn an extention.

Are you at least willing to give them a chance to see how this season goes before deciding they suck again? Or is the outcome of this season decided.
Where did i say that the season was already lost . I just don't understand how BB gave his buddy a pass this year but had no problem holding his asst's responsible .

Old
09-28-2011, 06:58 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
I agree with you. But I don't think Gardiner will be down long.
Oh i have no doubt he would be the first call up due to injury or trade.

I don't get the feeling that BB would pull the trigger on a trade till well into the season, so that leaves injury call up.

Old
09-28-2011, 07:02 PM
PresidentCamacho*

I don't think Komisarek's personality is going to affect his performance on the ice, but that's just me.

PresidentCamacho* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 07:07 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:

Quote:
Where did i say that the season was already lost . I just don't understand how BB gave his buddy a pass this year but had no problem holding his asst's responsible .
You may not have said the season is lost, but my translation is you are not willing to see the outcome of the changes in order to make an evaluation.

What if the team does improve. What if it was the assistant coaches fault? What if this team is top 8 in the conference this year?