HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

UFC 135: Jones vs Rampage

Old
09-26-2011, 02:07 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
Agreed. Davis has all the potential to be a legit threat but not anytime soon IMO. He's a 10 as far as a wrester and being on the ground but he needs a lot of work on his striking/stand-up.

He's a threat as long as he gets people on the ground but could get picked apart with his stand-up, ala Brock.

Davis needs a year or two of heavy development in a strong camp.
Machida vs Davis 2013?

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 02:31 PM
txomisc

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
The crazy thing is that Jones has the longest reach in the UFC. So he will have an advantage over the HWs as well.

He doesn't have a huge reach advantage over Overeem (only 3 inches) but he does have a 7.5 inch reach advantage over Cain and JDS.
Exactly. His reach isnt just freakish for his division its freakish overall. He has a reach that is more typical for someone who is 7 feet tall. Id venture to guess the percentage of people his height who have a reach as long or longer than he does is insanely small.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 02:41 PM
Spawn

Quote:
You are talking about the Jones/Rampage fight right? If so, I'd like to know what fight you were watching.
I was referring to the Shogun/Jones fight.

Spawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 02:42 PM
Jules Winnfield

Quote:
The crazy thing is that Jones has the longest reach in the UFC. So he will have an advantage over the HWs as well.

He doesn't have a huge reach advantage over Overeem (only 3 inches) but he does have a 7.5 inch reach advantage over Cain and JDS.
As you mentioned he has a 7.5" reach advantage over Cain and JDS. He has a 3.5" reach over Brock. He has a 3" reach over Overreem. The reach advantage still isn't as big as what he's used to getting now.

Jones has been routinely having 8-10+ inch reach advantages against guys in LHW. He would also have an quickness/agility advantage over the HWs but lose out on other things too.

Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 04:00 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice berg slim View Post
Machida vs Davis 2013?
2013?

I think we will see that fight at the end of this year or early next year.

Here's an interesting quote from Ed Soares from a couple days ago:

Quote:
"Hopefully he will be fighting by the end of the year; at some point in December," Soares said. "I'm hoping they are open to having him back in the Octagon. We're not sure who his opponent will be, but whoever they put in front of us is fine."
Does that mean he hopes they are open to having him fight in December or are they still pissed because he refused to fight Rashad? I can't see Dana getting rid of him because he turned down a fight and asked for more money.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 04:22 PM
Jules Winnfield

Quote:

Does that mean he hopes they are open to having him fight in December or are they still pissed because he refused to fight Rashad? I can't see Dana getting rid of him because he turned down a fight and asked for more money.
Dana is like that. I like Dana but he's a vindictive mofo if you don't jump for him. He won't get rid of him but he'll make it very clear that he's in charge and if he wants you to fight you don't turn it down.

I don't blame Machida for turning down Rashad on 6 weeks notice. It's not like Rashad is a bum even though Machida destroyed him the first time around.

Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 04:28 PM
m9

Machida's not going anywhere.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 07:37 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Dana is like that. I like Dana but he's a vindictive mofo if you don't jump for him. He won't get rid of him but he'll make it very clear that he's in charge and if he wants you to fight you don't turn it down.

I don't blame Machida for turning down Rashad on 6 weeks notice. It's not like Rashad is a bum even though Machida destroyed him the first time around.
I don't think it was so much the fact that Machida turned the fight down, but the fact he demanded "Anderson Silva money"(ie: PPV percentage) in order to fight, that irked Dana.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 07:31 PM
KrugLife
Registered Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
I don't think it was so much the fact that Machida turned the fight down, but the fact he demanded "Anderson Silva money"(ie: PPV percentage) in order to fight, that irked Dana.
And yet Dana turned around and gave Tito Ortiz "Anderson Silva money"

KrugLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 08:27 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguination View Post
And yet Dana turned around and gave Tito Ortiz "Anderson Silva money"
I know Ortiz' salary for the event was reported as $520,000, but Silva likely gets a decent chunk of money from PPV revenue, which is the likely sticking point as far as Dana is concerned. Machida and Anderson's base salaries are actually pretty similar, so it's obvious that Anderson gets a cut of PPV revenue. So in the end, I really doubt Ortiz ended up getting, "Anderson Silva money".

Last edited by Peter Griffin: 09-28-2011 at 08:35 PM.
Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote