HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers talking to Predators to move salary

Old
09-28-2011, 09:20 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
2 thing i just want to throw out there

1)smithson is a faceoff machine.
2)why is no-one suggesting Carle?
1. cool
2. our d is older than the first house built in Atlantis

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 09:27 PM
SgtJoseph

After reading some of this, no wonder Hartnell's heart was racing !

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 09:30 PM
HaughNasty

Its 10:30 and he is still a Flyer I am calling BS on this trade.

HaughNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 09:34 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Oh well, always tomorrow.

I'll dream of you, Ellis.

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 09:57 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Nashville gm over.......

Hartnell + Carle nashville

Weber flyers

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 09:59 PM
ayshplaysh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
Nashville gm over.......

Hartnell + Carle nashville

Weber flyers
Not freeing up much space there...

ayshplaysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 11:13 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayshplaysh View Post
Not freeing up much space there...
Nor flirting with reality, but it's fun to dream, no?

In regard to some of the salary discussion in Nashville, our budget last season was 52 million...that before we had our best attendance(94.2 capacity on the year) since year 2. We stand 4 million below that number as of now, and a full 8 million below the rumored budget of 56 million this season (midpoint, IOW). Now, as some have mentioned, there needs to be some breathing room left--contrary to popular belief, the plan remains to sign the big three, the real question comes in what guys like Wilson and Blum make on their next deals. For that reason, I'd guess our final payroll to be around 54 million.

I understand the reluctance to trade Hartnell, but if you are going to do it (remember, not every owner is keen on burying contracts, thankfully we don't live in a world of Ted Dolans) Nashville may be able to hook you up in a pretty decent way. Having had Hartnell on my team before, I know what he brings--Roman Josi or Mattias Ekholm and say a decent pick is a pretty soothing consolation prize.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 11:15 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

What are the chances that we get Wilson in the deal? We just better not get Ellis. I am not sold on the kid. I'd rather have Blum or Josi.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 11:39 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
What are the chances that we get Wilson in the deal? We just better not get Ellis. I am not sold on the kid. I'd rather have Blum or Josi.
Slim to none. Unless he has an attitude towards Trotz, which doesn't seem likely right now, then we'll be keeping him.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 11:47 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
Tell me how far off I am, or flame me...whatev

Hartnell, Meszaros, Suellentrop, 2nd or 3rd (conditional)

for

Weber, rights to Radulov?

NSH gets Hartnell as the offensive centerpiece, Mez (who's like a Weber-mini), another defensive prospect for them to groom into a stud, and a conditional high pick IF Radulov re-signs and joins the Flyers

Flyers get a superstar defenseman (RH shot, only 26), and a potential star winger with size.

Looking at this closer, this frees up next to no money for the Flyers so it's pretty much the worst post ever. Perhaps if we plugged someone else in Suellentrop's spot? Like Nodl? idk...

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 11:47 PM
SgtJoseph

As much as i hate the thought of Hartnell being dealt, Something tells me that's exactly what Homer is looking at, because Nashville is probably the one place Hartnell would probably agree to be traded to because of his past playing there and his being a crowd favorite there etc.....I hope he stays here in Philly, but i understand hockey and the salary cap issues can make such moves possible....

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 11:50 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

If we end up trading Hartnell and the return is crap, the Lilja and Shelley signings suddenly look even worse than before. 1.8 million completely useless cap dollars we can't get rid of, and which cost us other players.

09-29-2011, 12:00 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
If we end up trading Hartnell and the return is crap, the Lilja and Shelley signings suddenly look even worse than before. 1.8 million completely useless cap dollars we can't get rid of, and which cost us other players.
Yeah. I love where this team is at right now. Terrific balance between rookies and vets, size and speed, etc. But trading Hartnell (and Nodl for that matter) seems like a bad idea to me. But at the same time, I don't know any way around this...unless Homer gets Burke sloshed and manages to get him to trade for Shelley, Leighton, and Walker.

I'll defend the guy til the end for keeping this team competitive and for many other things, but maaaaan does he have us in another pickle

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 12:03 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 840
Assuming this is for real, I don't know if the two teams match up. The Predators invest heavily in the draft, and that's pretty much what the Predators would be giving us. Meanwhile, while it's a salary dump, I can't see Holmgren coming out of the trade without an NHL player, and there's no forward Nashville would have available that we'd want, I think.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 12:15 AM
six sigma
Thank you Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Nor flirting with reality, but it's fun to dream, no?
Thanks for being a good sport. It's rare to see around here.

We're definitely getting a little carried away over here but that's part of the fun.

edit: for what it's worth, I'd just as soon keep Hartnell as well if the return is scant. I've always liked the big goof, even when he's falling on his ass.

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 12:18 AM
BillDineen

1- Sure the younger players look good in camp, but they will have ups and downs all year. Trading Hartnell to fit another one into the lineup does not make sense.

2- Trading a physical winger for SK does not make sense and is counter to Homer's ideal to get bigger.

3- Trading Coburn or Carle, leaving space for Walker to play No. 5 is not realistic given Preds depth at D.

Anything else is probably minor, but with Homer who the hell knows?

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 12:32 AM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
I dont want Colin Wilson he isnt what we need if we do trade Hartnell.
Then again, if we get him he would be our new high and wide whipping boy.
Not that he screwed up countless chances on feeds from JVR before

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 02:56 AM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
To expound on my guess, I'd think it'll be Shelley and a 2nd for a prospect or something like that (if anything happens at all). Hartnell is currently pretty important to this team's forward group, and Shelley would get us back more cap relief than Lilja. We could get room and not make the team worse.

According to Capgeek, I'm not seeing Walker counting against the cap right now, unless I'm missing something...so no point trading him, I guess.

Nashville has been very vocal that they wish to add a top 6 forward and that is NOT Shelly.

Also, to whomever said basically that we'd be getting bent over in any trade because every otehr team knows we are up against the cap (using the Upshall trade as their example) this is just wrong too. If you view a player as someone whom would help your team then you are going to trade what you feel is fair and needed to pry him away from the other team. Nashville isn't going to say "Hmm, we really need Hartnell, he's probably worth about a 1st rnd pick but the Flyers are up against the cap so we're only going to give them a 3rd rnd pick for him, they can take it or leave it becasue we are doing them a favor."

Hartnell makes the most sense. Simmonds has been very impressive in the pre-season and he plays a similar style. I always thought when we got him that Simmonds was the eventual replacement for Hartnell in the top 6 but it looks like it might happen sooner than later.

I think that a trade of Hartnell for a 2012 1st rnd pick is probably fair. Then, if the Preds can't resign Suter at the end of the season the Flyers could trade back the 1st for the rights to Suter IF they believe they can sign him. If Nashville can resign Suter then we keep the 1st and get a top quality prospect in the draft for Hartnell.

Alternatively we could always trade Hartnell for one of their top defensive prospects or, if we trade him for the 1st and they retain Suter, then we could always trade that 1st back to them for one of their defensive prospects after the season.

phlocky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 03:08 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

What the hell is going on.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 03:11 AM
COMCASTMONEY
14yrs/$110m

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
1. cool
2. our d is older than the first house built in Atlantis
2. Kimmo and Prongs, but not Coburn/Mesz/Carle/Gus (if he makes it).

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 03:21 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I like Hartnell

don't they want a budding powerforward in Shelley, or the rock on D that is Matt Walker.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 03:49 AM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
2 thing i just want to throw out there

1)smithson is a faceoff machine.
2)why is no-one suggesting Carle?
The only way qwe trade one of Carle/Coburn/Meszaros to Nashville is if it's a bigger trade for one of Suter/Weber. For the Preds, Blum would slide up on to their top pairing and they'd be in need of a guy for their 2nd pairing while the flyers would need to shed one of their "2nd pairing" guys (hence us trading them a dman back).

Nobody knows what a deal for them would involve but it would likely be a much bigger and more expensive (from a player cost perspective) than a simple trade of a high ticket top 6 forward for prospcts/picks.

Old
09-29-2011, 04:23 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Nodl, Walker and someone else?

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 04:33 AM
phlocky

For the record, I think we will trade Hartnell for either a defensive prospect or a 1st and that our lines will look as follows:

Simmonds - Briere - Jagr/Voracek
JVR - Giroux - Voracek/Jagr
Read/Talbot - Schenn - Couturier (yes, I think Couts makes the team)
Talbot/Read/Betts/Rinaldo/Nodl/Shelly (pick 4)

That's around 29 mil for our 13 forwards. The 7 dmen figur to cost us around 23.5 mil. Our goalies cost us about 7.5 mil. We have 1.4 mil in carryover from last year. This would put us at about 61.4 mil and leave us 2.9 mil in free cap space.

Old
09-29-2011, 04:41 AM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Nodl, Walker and someone else?
They want a top 6 forward and preferably one who can score, Nodl is neither of those things. Also, Nashville isn't going to be anybodies salary dumping ground and seeing how they already have 8 dmen better than Walker he'd be buried in the AHL thus making him a salary dump.

I just think this has Hartnell written all over it. Remember, after Richards and Carter were traded Hartnell was quoted as saying "I'm out of here." Now that could mean a lot of things (he's been asked to waive his NTC, he BELIEVES he's next on the chopping block, he WANTS to be traded, when his contract is up there is no way in hell he resigns with Homer and the flyers, etc.) but when added to the play of some of the rookies in camp this year (Read and Couturier specifically), how well Simmonds has looked in camp, and that Simmonds plays a very similar role as Hartnell, it seems to me that Hartnell may very well be on the move.