HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 MLB / Montreal Expos Thread (June 2012 - A Rally for the Expos)

Old
08-29-2011, 08:36 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
I was saying that to a buddy of mine the other week, there is so much Expos gear that's it's freaking me out, Where were all these people when the Expos actually played? I wish we get a team back and even if it's not my style of wearing those caps that way I'd much rather see people buying Expos caps then Yankees ones

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 08:40 AM
BLONG7

vCash: 500
I have hated MLB since 94.....I do sometimes wonder, if an owner with the $$$ would ever bring them back? I doubt it, even the Jays can't draw anymore...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 08:48 AM
neofury*

If I had the money I'd definitely bring them back! But I'd force the city to pay for the arena or else **** it. The arena is a big part of the reason they didn't say. If the arena was in the heart of downtown I'm sure they would have been selling tickets a lot more.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 08:52 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
If I had the money I'd definitely bring them back! But I'd force the city to pay for the arena or else **** it. The arena is a big part of the reason they didn't say. If the arena was in the heart of downtown I'm sure they would have been selling tickets a lot more.
arena? this is why Dawson didn't want to retire as an Expo.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 01:32 PM
De Montreal
help

Just came back from a baseball trip with three friends, with three stops in Detroit, Cleveland and Toronto and it made me realize how much do I actually miss the Expos. I miss the RDS games intro and the actual game, the Expos even when they sucked, they were fun to watch. I really miss this. Montréal can support a baseball team I have no doubt, especially with the ball season almost not overlapping over the hockey season. Put a ball park downtown with an open roof and I guarantee a 15 000 attendance every night.

Plus, Montreal is becoming more and more a destination for americans tourists. And you know how much americans love their baseball... it would work! We just need a patient owner, because the team would mostly suck the first three years, but when the team start winning I'm sure it would have a big interest in the city for the Expos.

We got screwed over by a shameless owner, that's why the team left. No other reason.

Pleaaase.

De Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 02:06 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post
Just came back from a baseball trip with three friends, with three stops in Detroit, Cleveland and Toronto and it made me realize how much do I actually miss the Expos. I miss the RDS games intro and the actual game, the Expos even when they sucked, they were fun to watch. I really miss this. Montréal can support a baseball team I have no doubt, especially with the ball season almost not overlapping over the hockey season. Put a ball park downtown with an open roof and I guarantee a 15 000 attendance every night.

Plus, Montreal is becoming more and more a destination for americans tourists. And you know how much americans love their baseball... it would work! We just need a patient owner, because the team would mostly suck the first three years, but when the team start winning I'm sure it would have a big interest in the city for the Expos.

We got screwed over by a shameless owner, that's why the team left. No other reason.

Pleaaase.
If we would be in the Jays, Sox, Yanks division, it would really draw a lot of people from Boston and New York but would we ever win a division?

Old
08-29-2011, 02:29 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Not with Boston and New York in there. Expos would be battling it out to avoid a last place finish in the division.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 03:37 PM
expos4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post

Pleaaase.
2 things:
- 15,000 per night???? Yikes - with that attendance seems like we should be hosting the Quebec Capitales...
- we are a small market and unless we get a very deep pocketed owner (unlikely) we would not compete on the unfair playing field that is MLB (see: NYY, BOS, PHI, etc..). i.e. A business model built on 'when we win' will fail...

expos4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 08:46 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
There's a pretty decent interview with Pedro Martinez in Canadiens Magazine.

Quote:
You made it a point to salute Expos fans when news broke that the team was leaving the city. What did it mean to you personally when Montreal lost the Expos?
PM: I was extremely sad when it became official. To be perfectly honest, part of the reason I came back to the National League in 2005 was to get the chance to play at the Big O again. So I never got the chance to do it. I was so sad I almost lost my interest of being back in the NL after that.
Quote:
How big a difference would an outdoor, downtown stadium have made for the Expos? Could it have saved the team?
PM: I think so, I really do. The fans here are so passionate and they know their baseball. Plus, we were all so comfortable here that none of us wanted to leave. In my opinion, it not only could have worked here, it could still work. Actually, if we could have done what the Canadiens did as a franchise with the way they promote hockey and support the team, anything would’ve been possible. We would have gotten our downtown park and the fans would still have their Expos or “Nos Amours” as they used to call us.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 09:03 AM
Et le But

Even though I'm a Yankees fan I will always have a soft spot for Pedro for the way he has stood up for the Expos legacy and Montreal. If baseball ever comes back to Montreal, he should definitely be offered some sort of role in the franchise.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 01:48 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
If baseball ever comes back to Montreal, he should definitely be offered some sort of role in the franchise.
IF baseball ever comes back to Montreal, it'll be because people like Pedro actually BUY a franchise and place it here.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 04:09 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
IF baseball ever comes back to Montreal, it'll be because people like Pedro actually BUY a franchise and place it here.
It would need some kinda guy like that. Sure would help! Unless the Seagrams or Molson Family have a change of heart. A great Mayor that believes in a Great Montreal with'in North America like Mayor Drapeau...also.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 11:15 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Just going through some stats right now... 1997 was an awesome season from what I recall. I remember checking the boxscores daily. I think it was the year that really got me into baseball, too. I was too young in 1994 to really appreciate it, was only nine years old.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/MON/1997.shtml

Check out Pedro's numbers that year. INSANE.

Jeff Juden was also pretty fun to watch, too. It was also Vladdy's first real season, having only played nine games the year before.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 08:24 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

And another year without a championchip for my Cubs, make that 104 years!!! Ouch!

Old
09-06-2011, 08:42 AM
PhysicX

vCash: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
And another year without a championchip for my Cubs, make that 104 years!!! Ouch!
104 years... Hahahaaahaaahehheheheheiehiiihihihihahaah

wait

The CUBS!! Hahahhahahahahahoohohohoheeehehehehaehehahaha

PhysicX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 08:50 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicX View Post
104 years... Hahahaaahaaahehheheheheiehiiihihihihahaah

wait

The CUBS!! Hahahhahahahahahoohohohoheeehehehehaehehahaha
What's wrong with the Cubs? Well the Expos left so I picked the Cubs, they are bleu blanc rouge

Old
09-06-2011, 10:01 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
All that because of that damn goat.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 10:20 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
All that because of that damn goat.
and horrible decisions on free agents in the past couple of years, they need to build it properly via draft and all

Old
09-06-2011, 03:09 PM
LePoche69

Quote:
and horrible decisions on free agents in the past couple of years, they need to build it properly via draft and all
They had started to do that for a few years when they developed Kerry Woods, Zambrano and Mark Prior. But a dumb manager destroyed their arms trying to win every game...

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 03:25 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
They had started to do that for a few years when they developed Kerry Woods, Zambrano and Mark Prior. But a dumb manager destroyed their arms trying to win every game...
With Woods and especially Prior I was sure there pitching staff would have been solid for years but after that great 2003 season from both Prior and Woods, it was all downhill from there. Also injuries didn't help as Woods had gotten TJ surgery in 99

I know they haven't won in forever, but I love that ball park and those people have great passion like we do for our Habs

Old
09-06-2011, 03:34 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Quote:
What's wrong with the Cubs? Well the Expos left so I picked the Cubs, they are bleu blanc rouge
Theyre my team too! Starlin Castro! Darwin Barney, Carlos Marmol. My boys.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 12:51 AM
TheHabMan43
You'd Better RUN!

What an night!

-Papelbon blows it, Sox miss playoffs
-Rays come back from 7-0 Yankee lead, Longoria walks off in extras, Rays eliminate Boston and take the Wildcard.
-Braves blow it in the ninth, miss playoffs

TheHabMan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 12:55 AM
Bill McNeal

Glad RDS was flipping between the 3 games.

What a night.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 12:58 AM
Bud2790

Awesome night of baseball! I would've liked the Braves to make it, but I guess you don't deserve it when you go 9-18 in September..I miss the Expos

Bud2790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 01:21 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

So glad Tampa won and Boston lost. Hell of a night for baseball!

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote