HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Preseason 9/27/11 "Starry Starry Night" - Stars VS Panthers

Closed Thread

Old
09-28-2011, 04:36 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Anyone who watches Booth can see his flaw and that is he lacks higher end offensive ability. His strength is his explosive speed, 100% effort given, and hard but not always accurate shot. Offensively, he isn't as gifted as many other players and since he is pretty one dimensional he becomes below average once the play is established in the offensive zone. His defensive game is average at best.

He has proven he can score and be productive offensively but we have a lot of guys who can score at the same level as him and make the players on their line better, something Booth can not do. They also are not weak links in the offensive zone. Booth makes a decent amount of money and if we could package him with say Garrison and Bjugstad or Howden for a #1 center I'd do it in a second.
When they have actually done it in a red jersey, let me know. Until then, he is uncontrovertibly our best scorer.

Old
09-28-2011, 04:41 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
When they have actually done it in a red jersey, let me know. Until then, he is uncontrovertibly our best scorer.
If that's what you want to believe then that's fine. Weiss is better offensively than Booth. Flash and Versteeg are also definitely better. Hubs is the only one who hasn't proven he can score at the NHL level. Not sure why something as arbitrary as them wearing our jersey would matter. You would never deny Crosby being a better scorer so I'm not sure why you're saying this.

Old
09-28-2011, 04:50 PM
Montsy14

vCash: 50
I'm not sure what's being argued...whether its goal-scoring or offensive ability. Regardless, I just want to point out that Booth is the only proven 30 goal scorer on the team.

If we're talking about strictly offensive ability/skill, Weiss, Flieschmann, Versteeg all have more raw skill than Booth.

Old
09-28-2011, 04:51 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montsy14 View Post
I'm not sure what's being argued...whether its goal-scoring or offensive ability. Regardless, I just want to point out that Booth is the only proven 30 goal scorer on the team.

If we're talking about strictly offensive ability/skill, Weiss, Flieschmann, Versteeg all have more raw skill than Booth.
To be fair, he has scored 31 goals once. He isn't a 30 goal scorer, imo. He's a 20ish goal guy.

Old
09-28-2011, 04:54 PM
Montsy14

Quote:
To be fair, he has scored 30 goals once. He isn't a 30 goal scorer, imo. He's a 20ish goal guy.
I would probably agree with you, but I think this season will tell a lot about Booth and what kind of offensive production he will carry with him over the next few years. That is, if he's healthy.

Old
09-28-2011, 06:31 PM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
I don't think that Booth will have a problem potting 25 or so this season. Wouldn't be surprised to see more. All of these new guys means more people to focus on than just him and Weiss, which is what it was basically last season.

Old
09-28-2011, 08:17 PM
Erick

Quote:
To be fair, he has scored 31 goals once. He isn't a 30 goal scorer, imo. He's a 20ish goal guy.
I think he can score 30 with the right linemates.

If he can develop some chemistry with a guy like Fleischmann or one of our playmakers, that would be great for him.

Old
09-28-2011, 08:36 PM
CatscratchFever
Cup or bust!

Send a message via AIM to CatscratchFever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
The people who have seen him play are the ones cheering his name, and they aren't saying "Boooooooooooooth, make better passes and better shots or you will end up like Frolik". They cheer his name because he skates like the wind, he hits, and He can score goals!! He's no Crosby or Ovechkin but I do believe he'll take his game to the next level.

The only people I've seen complain about Booth is the 3 or so on these boards, the rest of the fans seem to love him.

Umm... Who is Hoooooobs??? Are we having Hoobastank at the games?? Are you talking about HUBerdeau?? Why can't we cheer "Booth" and for Huberdeau? Why do we need one or the other??
Don't forget his awesome hair and boyish smile!

Old
09-28-2011, 08:43 PM
Gudbranson44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatscratchFever View Post
Don't forget his awesome hair and boyish smile!
hahahaha hell yeah! Id love to see him pull a blue steel everytime he scores!

Old
09-28-2011, 09:18 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
If that's what you want to believe then that's fine. Weiss is better offensively than Booth. Flash and Versteeg are also definitely better. Hubs is the only one who hasn't proven he can score at the NHL level. Not sure why something as arbitrary as them wearing our jersey would matter. You would never deny Crosby being a better scorer so I'm not sure why you're saying this.
Its not a belief, its fact. Ill clear it up. Booth has scored more goals in one nhl season than any other panther on their current roster. Period.

Therefore he is the most prolific scorer on the Panthers until proven otherwise.

Why you would want to trade our objectively best goal scorer ... doesn't make sense to me

Last edited by adam graves: 09-28-2011 at 09:30 PM.
Old
09-28-2011, 09:22 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 117
Weiss scored 28 goals. Three goals is not very significant.

Old
09-28-2011, 09:45 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Its not a belief, its fact. Ill clear it up. Booth has scored more goals in one nhl season than any other panther on their current roster. Period.

Therefore he is the most prolific scorer on the Panthers until proven otherwise.

Why you would want to trade our objectively best goal scorer ... doesn't make sense to me
I don't understand why he has to be a former Panther to qualify as our best goal scorer. That's silly. Like I said before, you would never say Crosby wasn't if he was on our team.

Old
09-28-2011, 09:55 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
I don't understand why he has to be a former Panther to qualify as our best goal scorer. That's silly. Like I said before, you would never say Crosby wasn't if he was on our team.
??? Im running out of ways to say this.

Not former Panthers, i said CURRENT.

Old
09-28-2011, 09:58 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
??? Im running out of ways to say this.

Not former Panthers, i said CURRENT.
Flash, Weiss, and Versteeg are all better scorers.

Old
09-29-2011, 12:45 AM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

I would love to be proven wrong about Booth... But he scored 30 playing with Weiss and Horton at the top of their games too, Jack Skille could have scored 30 with them the way they were playing

Old
09-29-2011, 03:59 AM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudbranson4Prez View Post
I would love to be proven wrong about Booth... But he scored 30 playing with Weiss and Horton at the top of their games too, Jack Skille could have scored 30 with them the way they were playing
Yes, Stephen Weiss and Nathan Horton are so good they turned a fourth line grinder into a 30 goal scorer.

Old
09-29-2011, 05:29 AM
Montsy14

I think the problem is that nobody sees Booth as the guy who's going to lead the team in goals anymore.

Problem #2 - Until someone else (Weiss, Versteeg, Flash or whoever) outscores Booth, he is technically the most prolific scorer on the team and that's a fact based on statistics.

I mean, both arguments are valid, but one is more assumption based looking down the road.

But who knows, Booth could very well end up scoring 30+ again and lead the team in goals, we'll have to wait and see.

Old
09-29-2011, 09:23 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montsy14 View Post
I think the problem is that nobody sees Booth as the guy who's going to lead the team in goals anymore.

Problem #2 - Until someone else (Weiss, Versteeg, Flash or whoever) outscores Booth, he is technically the most prolific scorer on the team and that's a fact based on statistics.

I mean, both arguments are valid, but one is more assumption based looking down the road.

But who knows, Booth could very well end up scoring 30+ again and lead the team in goals, we'll have to wait and see.
I think it's more that if you had a choice to put Weiss, Versteeg, Flash, and Booth on a line to win the game, most would leave Booth out despite his statistical (barely) goal scoring edge. The other players have much more well rounded offensive abilities.

Old
09-29-2011, 10:35 AM
Doyle

What We Learned from Stars-Cats

By Bill Whitehead

SUNRISE, Fla. — With training camp closer to its end than its beginning, the Florida Panthers are prepared to play their final preseason game tonight in Dallas. It’s a rematch of Tuesday’s contest with the Stars, who prevailed 4-3 in overtime. The result, however, wasn’t what was significant. Here are three things we learned from the last exhibition game at BankAtlantic Center:

http://nhlhotstove.com/what-we-learned-from-stars-cats/

Closed Thread