HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Avery an embarrassment to the team

Closed Thread

Old
09-29-2011, 12:01 PM
OverTheCap

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
I'm seeing a lot of "it doesn't belong in the game" like comments regarding Avery. Thats your opinion and you're entitled to it but an opinion is all it is. I feel just as strongly that his style of play does belong in the game. Stalemate.

The "pest" or whatever you want to call it is a role that has a place in NHL hockey whether some fans like it or not. Avery is one of them. His goal isn't to go out and fight everyone that challenges him and become the next Voros or Weise - he's smarter than that. He looks to get under the oppositions skin and he does so very well sometimes.

You'd honestly rather have Sean fight everyone that wants to fight him than draw penalties? If so, this suggests some odd priorities. Do you want the team to win or do you want Sean to suffer? His drawing penalties helps the team. I guess he could drop them everytime a professional goon challenges him and get himself pounded like Voros who we all loved and respected so much - but that not only hurts Sean but it hurts the team. We need those PPs.

There's no rule that says you have to fight - goading people into dropping them and then not dropping them yourself actually does have a place int he game in the strictest definition in that it's allowed by the rules.

I want the Rangers to win. If Sean can help them do that, and I think he can - sign him up.
Good post. Some fans make it seem like Sean Avery is the first and only agitator to ever play the game. It's a role that existed long before he came in the league and will continue to exist after he exits the league. Any Rangers fan who remembers Esa Tikkanen knows that he did the exact same thing... he used his mouth instead of his fists to goad opponents into taking penalties. As far as agitators go, some of Sean's antics aren't even that bad. I mean, Jarko Ruutu bit Andrew Peters!

When it comes to Sean choosing not to fight certain players, he has the right to pick his battles. Last year, after Boogaard stopped playing, Prust assumed the role of heavyweight, even though he isn't one, and fought the likes of Boulton and got his butt kicked. I would prefer he didn't get into those fights because it's not a fair matchup and he runs the risk of injury. I'd rather Sean not turn into a punching bag, and if he did fight everyone who challenged him and lost, I have a feeling that the Avery detractors criticize him for that as well.

Also, this hasn't been talked about at all on this board, but Talbot turtled on Monday night against Deveaux. He probably did so because Deveaux is larger and he didn't want to get beat down. Of course, this flies under the radar and is acceptable because it doesn't involve Avery.

Old
09-29-2011, 12:31 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Please don't compare Messier's style of play to Avery's. Shooting, passing, hitting, blocking shots, and throwing punches -- that's hockey. If you've ever played Juniors, NCAA, or Professional hockey, you have a tough time appreciating what Avery brings to the game. I'll leave it at that.
None of that matters when you are gaining a reputation as one of the dirtier players in the game.

Throwing elbows at players that are attempting to legally hit you is not in the spirit of the game.

Crosschecking a guy in the forehead is not in the spirit of the game.

I made no comparisson in terms of actual hockey talent as I know there is none, but playing outside the lines is what Messier did throughout his whole career.

But I guess, since he is talented, it's OK for him but not Avery?

Holy double standard Batman

Old
09-29-2011, 12:51 PM
eco's bones

In regard to Messier--Mark did the same thing to Mike Modano several years back that Matt Cooke did to Marc Savard or Mike Richards did to David Booth. Messier deliberately injured a number of players during his career. Would like to go even further though and say the same about Scott Stevens--since we've had a New Jersey poster earlier stirring the pot here. Further back into hockey history though--Gordie Howe for much of his career was considered the dirtiest player in the league. Rocket Richard would think nothing of two handing an opponent in the head.

Avery does not have a history of putting opponents in the hospital. Some of his detractors go more on hear say than they do actual fact. Avery has never been suspended for an on the ice incident. There may have been a discussion a couple times like last year when he suckered Smid but truthfully Smid wanted to fight and then took his eye off of Avery.

We can say that Avery isn't an 'honorable' player--whatever that means to whoever. So why would Messier, Howe, Richard, Stevens be considered 'honorable' then? Just because they're HOF'ers? Avery dives on occasion. Crosby dives quite a lot. Subban dives too. Malkin slew footed Mara in the playoffs on two separate occasions on the same shift. Our guy is public enemy No. 1--the others get a free pass and it's okay--they're bigger stars and I guess if you're a certain kind of Ranger fan you look to critique your own team and forget about everybody else. Doesn't work that way for me. A Flyer or a Devil's fan not liking Avery's game is a reason for me to like it. They can go piss up a rope.

Old
09-29-2011, 01:02 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
In regard to Messier--Mark did the same thing to Mike Modano several years back that Matt Cooke did to Marc Savard or Mike Richards did to David Booth. Messier deliberately injured a number of players during his career. Would like to go even further though and say the same about Scott Stevens--since we've had a New Jersey poster earlier stirring the pot here. Further back into hockey history though--Gordie Howe for much of his career was considered the dirtiest player in the league. Rocket Richard would think nothing of two handing an opponent in the head.

Avery does not have a history of putting opponents in the hospital. Some of his detractors go more on hear say than they do actual fact. Avery has never been suspended for an on the ice incident. There may have been a discussion a couple times like last year when he suckered Smid but truthfully Smid wanted to fight and then took his eye off of Avery.

We can say that Avery isn't an 'honorable' player--whatever that means to whoever. So why would Messier, Howe, Richard, Stevens be considered 'honorable' then? Just because they're HOF'ers? Avery dives on occasion. Crosby dives quite a lot. Subban dives too. Malkin slew footed Mara in the playoffs on two separate occasions on the same shift. Our guy is public enemy No. 1--the others get a free pass and it's okay--they're bigger stars and I guess if you're a certain kind of Ranger fan you look to critique your own team and forget about everybody else. Doesn't work that way for me. A Flyer or a Devil's fan not liking Avery's game is a reason for me to like it. They can go piss up a rope.
That goes for some of the Rangers fans here as well.

There I said it.

Old
09-29-2011, 01:19 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
That goes for some of the Rangers fans here as well.

There I said it.
Oh big deal, some fans have dissenting opinions about the various players on the team... Who cares? There's plenty of fans who don't care for MZA or MDZ and don't think they should be on the Rangers, and fans who didn't like Gilroy or Eminger or Drury... This is nothing new and no part of being a Ranger fan means you need to agree with the 'general consensus'... If anything is 'comical' about the situation, it's when fans get their panties in a bunch when other fans share dissenting opinions about their favorite players...

Old
09-29-2011, 01:32 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
12 fights over the course of the season is nothing when you consider the way he plays and the number of times he skates away from a proposition. He answers the bell FAR LESS than he should be, and often times guys like Prust and Boyle have to take a punch because of Avery. That would drive me nuts if I was his teammate.

Never said Avery invented diving or trolling/mocking/goading, but I still don't like it.
Can you give me a few examples of times where Prust or Boyle had to take a punch because of Avery? I'm going to assume you can provide one.

It's kind of funny. Avery's the first guy to throw down and stand up for a teammate. If I was his teammate the last thing that would drive me is nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Sure. You point out that he has produced despite reduced time. That is saying if given a better role he could be more valuable. That is an if statement.

You also say he has produced despite being shackled. Just not true. He has not produced in quite some time.

If saying everything I write about him is a stupid comment is not a personal attack, one must assume that you do not understand the concept of personal attack.
"You point out that he produced despite a reduced role..."

He did. He scored 24 points last season while receiving less ice time than any forward no named Derek Boogaard. So basically of all the actual forwards who played most of the season, he got less ice time than any and still was near his typical point production.

How is that anything other than a factual statement? So you're really going to try and debate this crazy idea that if someone produces X amount, if they receive more ice time and an increased role that said production would increase? Really? That can't be the leg you're trying to stand on.

"You also say he has produced despite being shackled. Just not true. He has not produced in quite some time."

Really? It's not true?

As recently as the season before last he scored 11 goals and recorded 31 points? How is that not producing? Unless of course you hold Avery to a higher standard than other 3rd to 4th line players, there's no argument on your end.

The year before that he only played 18 games after coming over from Dallas and had 5 goals and 12 points. Yeah, 12 points in 18 games for a 3rd-4th liner isn't producing....right.

The year before that? 15 goals and 33 points.

You have absolutely never once been able to provide any proof of him not producing. You just sit there and type it out in Avery thread as if it's a fact, when the facts don't actually support it.

If you A.) hold Avery to this standard of playing how he did when he was first acquired from Los Angeles, you're incredibly naive. He's not skating next to Jaromir Jagr getting top line minutes...or B.) You honestly can't see, based on the facts and history, that Sean Avery is around a 10 goal 30 point player, then you're even more biased than originally thought. Which would be astounding.

On what planet is a 10 goal 30 point player who forechecks and cycles and brings extra intagibles to the ice no longer an NHL caliber player, and on what planet can you actually say that those numbers indicate he "hasn't produced in quite some time" ?

Old
09-29-2011, 01:36 PM
SML

I think its funny that some guys who hate Avery so much have the need to point out that they played, and that's why some people don't understand why they can't respect the way Avery plays. Maybe that's why they hate him so much. Because Avery has taken a pretty average skill set and a good set of wheels, things a lot of guys have, and made them into an NHL career. Without the agitating aspect, the guy is PA Parenteau. He's a guy people in his hometown think is a big deal. With them, he's a guy who makes 4M a season, who everybody in the league knows, who's average night at the rink gets 1000 post threads, and opposition players are busy thinking about when they should be thinking about Gaborik and Richards. Tortorella just has to keep his hands off the guy and let him play the way he plays.

Old
09-29-2011, 01:38 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Oh big deal, some fans have dissenting opinions about the various players on the team... Who cares? There's plenty of fans who don't care for MZA or MDZ and don't think they should be on the Rangers, and fans who didn't like Gilroy or Eminger or Drury... This is nothing new and no part of being a Ranger fan means you need to agree with the 'general consensus'... If anything is 'comical' about the situation, it's when fans get their panties in a bunch when other fans share dissenting opinions about their favorite players...
You mean, what you're doing in this post?

The difference with your example is that people dislike those players because of their perception on said players hockey ability.

Avery is disliked for a myriad of other reasons that have nothing to do with hockey. Cause if you're actually trying to make a hockey argument again Avery, there really isn't one as I mentioned in my above post.

Old
09-29-2011, 01:42 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
Can you give me a few examples of times where Prust or Boyle had to take a punch because of Avery? I'm going to assume you can provide one.

It's kind of funny. Avery's the first guy to throw down and stand up for a teammate. If I was his teammate the last thing that would drive me is nuts.

"You point out that he produced despite a reduced role..."

He did. He scored 24 points last season while receiving less ice time than any forward no named Derek Boogaard. So basically of all the actual forwards who played most of the season, he got less ice time than any and still was near his typical point production.

How is that anything other than a factual statement? So you're really going to try and debate this crazy idea that if someone produces X amount, if they receive more ice time and an increased role that said production would increase? Really? That can't be the leg you're trying to stand on.

"You also say he has produced despite being shackled. Just not true. He has not produced in quite some time."

Really? It's not true?

As recently as the season before last he scored 11 goals and recorded 31 points? How is that not producing? Unless of course you hold Avery to a higher standard than other 3rd to 4th line players, there's no argument on your end.

The year before that he only played 18 games after coming over from Dallas and had 5 goals and 12 points. Yeah, 12 points in 18 games for a 3rd-4th liner isn't producing....right.

The year before that? 15 goals and 33 points.

You have absolutely never once been able to provide any proof of him not producing. You just sit there and type it out in Avery thread as if it's a fact, when the facts don't actually support it.

If you A.) hold Avery to this standard of playing how he did when he was first acquired from Los Angeles, you're incredibly naive. He's not skating next to Jaromir Jagr getting top line minutes...or B.) You honestly can't see, based on the facts and history, that Sean Avery is around a 10 goal 30 point player, then you're even more biased than originally thought. Which would be astounding.

On what planet is a 10 goal 30 point player who forechecks and cycles and brings extra intagibles to the ice no longer an NHL caliber player, and on what planet can you actually say that those numbers indicate he "hasn't produced in quite some time" ?
he also holds 2 chip chipperson mvp awards. im actually a little upset you didnt mention this.

also 2 years ago when he had 11 goals and 31 points, he was maybe our best player down the stretch before he got injured. i think that is pretty much forgotten around here.

Old
09-29-2011, 01:44 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
Tortorella just has to keep his hands off the guy and let him play the way he plays.
Not gonna happen. Torts has proven that since he got here. The fact that Avery has been one of the better forwards this preseason and yet it still looks pretty obvious that at best he's going to be our 13th forward should tell you everything you need to know about Torts when it comes to Sean.

Old
09-29-2011, 01:46 PM
pld459666

Quote:
the biggest difference i see in your post is simply this

The guys on this board and the fans of this team that have dissenting opinions on the likes of MDZ, MZA, Drury, Gilroy and Eminger as well as a host of others are all based on their talents.

The majority of posters on this board that have a negative opinion about Sean Avery is not talent based, It's geared towards their opinions of what they constitute as honorable behavior.

Taking avery's talents and what he brings to this team, objectively speaking of course, do you really believe that any one of Weise, Mitchell and or Christensen are better suited for that 3rd/4th line role?

If you believe they are better suited for that role, then we view what these players bring to the table in considerably different lights.

The only player of the three mentioned that can match and exceed Avery talent wise is EC, however he falls way way short in consistency, defensive ability and physicality to Avery.

The other two guys can't hold a candle to Avery in any one aspect of the game.

irritations aside, of the 4 guys, Avery is the best player suited for the role being asked of him.

Yet, the guys that don't like him point to other factors when trying to justify their opinions as to why he should be sat in favor of a guy that is clearly inferior.

Avery has proven time and again that he can take a regular shift on the 3rd line. That he can and will come to the aid of a teammate and play well enough defensively that he's not going to hurt the team in that regards.

You would have to combine all three of Weise, Mitchell and EC to come up with a player that does what Avery does.

Old
09-29-2011, 01:49 PM
Crease

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2lEUxwngZA

Sjostrom took a blocker to the mouth because of Avery's antics. I'm sure he appreciated it even more after he saw the tape and figured out why Thomas went after Avery.

If I were one of Avery's linemates, I would be fed up with all the post-whistle scrums started by him pretty quickly. Again, just my opinion.

Old
09-29-2011, 01:49 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip chipperson View Post
he also holds 2 chip chipperson mvp awards. im actually a little upset you didnt mention this.

also 2 years ago when he had 11 goals and 31 points, he was maybe our best player down the stretch before he got injured. i think that is pretty much forgotten around here.
I'm sorry how could I forget the chip chipperson awards.

I just fail to comprehend how someone like chosen can make the comments he does, and yet be so condescending as to not even support any of the claims he makes, all while acting like it's completely obvious how right he is.

So we've got a player who basically puts up 10 goals and 30 points every year.

10 and 30
10 and 30
10 and 30
10 and 30

And then last year while getting zero ice time, and no power play time, STILL put up 24 points. SIX POINTS SHY of what he's been his whole career and what any reasonable, intelligent person should expect.

But yeah, he just doesn't produce like he used to.

Old
09-29-2011, 01:56 PM
ruckus*

Quote:

Sjostrom took a blocker to the mouth because of Avery's antics. I'm sure he appreciated it even more after he saw the tape and figured out why Thomas went after Avery.

If I were one of Avery's linemates, I would be fed up with all the post-whistle scrums started by him pretty quickly. Again, just my opinion.
I can't view videos at work so I'll have to get back to you on that.

What do you think Gabby's opinion was last year after he got the **** kicked out of him by Carcillo, and the next time Avery was on the ice with him went right over to him to throw down? You think that bothered him? I'm sure Gabby was thinking ugghhh God, of all the teammates to stand up for me it's Avery.

You're trying to make this argument about Avery pissing off his teammates because they have to deal with stuff that all players deal with after whistles, but ask yourself one question...Do you think you'd ever see Sean Avery pull a Dan Girardi?

Old
09-29-2011, 01:57 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
I'm sorry how could I forget the chip chipperson awards.

I just fail to comprehend how someone like chosen can make the comments he does, and yet be so condescending as to not even support any of the claims he makes, all while acting like it's completely obvious how right he is.

So we've got a player who basically puts up 10 goals and 30 points every year.

10 and 30
10 and 30
10 and 30
10 and 30

And then last year while getting zero ice time, and no power play time, STILL put up 24 points. SIX POINTS SHY of what he's been his whole career and what any reasonable, intelligent person should expect.

But yeah, he just doesn't produce like he used to.
me and chosen have argued more times than i can count. in pms aswell because most of my posts get deleted. i really dont want to argue with him anymore.

Old
09-29-2011, 01:58 PM
Crease

Quote:
I can't view videos at work so I'll have to get back to you on that.

What do you think Gabby's opinion was last year after he got the **** kicked out of him by Carcillo, and the next time Avery was on the ice with him went right over to him to throw down? You think that bothered him? I'm sure Gabby was thinking ugghhh God, of all the teammates to stand up for me it's Avery.

You're trying to make this argument about Avery pissing off his teammates because they have to deal with stuff that all players deal with after whistles, but ask yourself one question...Do you think you'd ever see Sean Avery pull a Dan Girardi?
I definitely think Avery would have jumped in to help Gaborik. Absolutely. But I'd take Girardi on my team over Avery 8 days a week.

Old
09-29-2011, 01:58 PM
eco's bones

With the Rangers current lineup I can see an argument for not dressing Avery every night--especially if he's not consistent but one thing I wouldn't do--I would absolutely make sure if he were healthy that he was in the lineup against any division rivals or teams like the Bruins or Caps because he has the ability to make a game miserable for an opponent and he tends to step up in the most important games. The other night was an example because the Flyers set out to run us right out of their building and Sean provided a lot of the push back. I mean we're watching Erixon head for the bench in the middle of the scrum between Talbot and Deveaux. Teams that don't defend themselves are going to get run over and they're no fun to watch.

Again I think he goes offside a little too much and I think he turns over the puck more than he should in his own zone. He's fully capable of taking needless/sometimes stupid penalties. Still he plays for keeps, can skate and forecheck and can make nice plays on occasion. You won't have to look hard for him if there's trouble on the ice. He's a decent player though maybe slightly pricey even only paying half his salary. With our current roster--he's a good option to have.

Old
09-29-2011, 02:00 PM
NikC

Quote:
I didn't imply you weren't being objective, and I said, quote "very few Ranger fans spoke out against those hits", as in the large majority of fans more or less were quiet about them.... Now if our guys were on the receiving end of those hits, our fans would be livid. Wouldn't you agree there's an obvious double standard at play when it involves our own players vs. other team's players? Crosby was allegedly the biggest crybaby diver in the league, but it was perfectly acceptable to most when Avery was guilty of the same diving and embellishment, but not a peep from our fan base?

Nope, just stuff that makes the players in the league despise him and vote him the most hated player in the league. Even the majority of the Stars team couldn't stand him, and that's saying a lot because those guys were teammates of his when he was with the organization... Even our players found a way to have an amicable relationship with Donald Brashear while he was a Ranger, even after all the crap he pulled against our team (sucker punches and general goonery).
Quote:
I'm not disputing what you said above, I'm making a point about the way Avery conducts himself out on the ice, the majority of the players in the league have no respect for him for a reason... The players like Kaleta & Cooke absolutely should be the most hated players in the game because they deliver dangerous hits that are worthy of suspensions, but instead, the players vote a guy like Avery instead... If that doesn't speak volumes about the reasons why players, coaches, and the refs have problems with Sean Avery and how he conducts himself out on the ice, I don't know what will.... The point is that he doesn't need to do any of the crap that garners him all the negative attention, to be an effective hockey player, and I'm not talking about trash-talking.... We know he can throw big hits, play hard, pot some occasional goals and create some plays..... He has **** for brains and **** for focus.... Just like last night when he doesn't know when to shut his yap and he goes and gets an unsportsmanlike penalty after previously drawing a penalty.... He's imploded and shot himself in the foot many times... He stated in an interview that he did things in Dallas to make the situation worse, once he felt alienated by the team...

Link Who does that to an organization deliberately, honestly? That's some juvenile crap.... Avery hasn't the slightest clue how to operate and conduct himself like a professional.... Can anyone tell me why Avery hasn't caught a clue and taken notes from Brandon Prust? Prust is all business, he plays hard, goes hard, does not shy away from scrums after the whistle, and drops the gloves and takes care of his business when he needs to... No skirmishes during warm-ups, no slapping goaltenders in the helmet with his stick behind the play, no diving, no embellishing, and no drawing the negative attention of the refs..... Prust is a respected member of this organization and he has the trust of the coaching staff.... Why is it that Avery can't trash talk AND play the game like Prust out on the ice? Oh yeah, Tortorella's leash

I've lost a lot of faith in Avery.... No doubt even if Glen Sather wanted to bring him back after his contract expired, he would undoubtedly ask for clearly more money than he's worth, burn his bridges, and find himself either out of the league, or playing for some bottom dwelling team that needs to reach the cap floor...

Subban can back up his antics with his play as a top 4 defenseman who contributes in multiple facets of the game.... Avery shows up once every 4-5 games and starts skirmishes during warm-ups?

I'd be quite p***ed off if that's how it played out.... You don't do that crap, plain and simple...
Quote:
So the rest of the players in the league hate him, a lot of coaches dislike him, the refs can't stand him, and the fans around the league hate him, but it's comical if any Ranger fans take issue with him?
I don't think you can answer the issue any better than the above. His behavior speaks volumes for anyone who wants to listen. Fans that have to go to such lengths to defend his behavior reveal more about who they are and what values (lack of) they have, more than anything else here.
Because you can identify with that behavior and can relate to it on some level makes it ok?

The epitome of his antics come in full view with the recent Simmonds incident. With all the garbage Avery spews at others he has the nerve to be "offended" by a slur made by Simmonds? On top of that, he has go public with it? He couldn't just leave it on the ice like Simmonds was, initially?
That's because it has to be about him and his agendas.

Old
09-29-2011, 02:03 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
I definitely think Avery would have jumped in to help Gaborik. Absolutely. But I'd take Girardi on my team over Avery 8 days a week.
its not about who you would rather have on your team. its about as good a player girardi and some other guys are, they dont do what avery does. and if somebody makes some overused comment here about going offsides or taking penalties i hope they sit on the toilet in pain the rest of the day.

Old
09-29-2011, 02:04 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2lEUxwngZA

It's just hockey. It didn't look to me like it loosened any teeth--beyond that Sjostrom charged into Thomas from behind. Of course, he got shoved in the face back. More or less it's just a scrum with nobody the worse for wear. No big deal.

Old
09-29-2011, 02:08 PM
Crease

Quote:
It's just hockey. It didn't look to me like it loosened any teeth--beyond that Sjostrom charged into Thomas from behind. Of course, he got shoved in the face back. More or less it's just a scrum with nobody the worse for wear. No big deal.
Sjo wouldn't have charged into Thomas from behind and gotten jawed by a blocker if it weren't for Avery's stupid antics. It's one thing to stick up for teammates during a heat-of-the-moment scrum. I'm fine with that. Avery trolling around the ice causing scrums doesn't fit into that category.

Old
09-29-2011, 02:16 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
I don't think you can answer the issue any better than the above. His behavior speaks volumes for anyone who wants to listen. Fans that have to go to such lengths to defend his behavior reveal more about who they are and what values (lack of) they have, more than anything else here.
Because you can identify with that behavior and can relate to it on some level makes it ok?

The epitome of his antics come in full view with the recent Simmonds incident. With all the garbage Avery spews at others he has the nerve to be "offended" by a slur made by Simmonds? On top of that, he has go public with it? He couldn't just leave it on the ice like Simmonds was, initially?
That's because it has to be about him and his agendas.
What kinds of values I have or don't have--have not a thing to do with the Rangers winning hockey games or not. And this is a point that you for one seem too obtuse to get--if Sean's inclusion in our lineup means we're a better team then we need to have him in our lineup.

I've never been much of a Sather fan but I sure am glad he's the general manager here rather than someone like you. It would seem that beyond just being able to skate up and down an ice rink our players would have to pass some kind of personality litmus test. WTF!?

Old
09-29-2011, 02:20 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Sjo wouldn't have charged into Thomas from behind and gotten jawed by a blocker if it weren't for Avery's stupid antics. It's one thing to stick up for teammates during a heat-of-the-moment scrum. I'm fine with that. Avery trolling around the ice causing scrums doesn't fit into that category.
Scrums are just about an every game occurrence--are they not? It's fairly likely that Sjostrom--more or less a non-belligerent player has been punched, kind of punched, shoved in the head at least a few hundred times over the course of his career. What's one more?

Why make such a big deal out of that?

Old
09-29-2011, 02:30 PM
Crease

Quote:
Scrums are just about an every game occurrence--are they not? It's fairly likely that Sjostrom--more or less a non-belligerent player has been punched, kind of punched, shoved in the head at least a few hundred times over the course of his career. What's one more?

Why make such a big deal out of that?
Because I've had a guy or two like Avery on my Junior teams and to be perfectly frank, their antics got old pretty quick. Guys would even go as far as ask the coach not to be on the same line as them because they were sick of having to get so involved after every other whistle. We lost one guy for the season to a fractured jaw in a line brawl started by one of the clowns. Long story short, it may be entertaining to watch on TV, but sometimes these things can disrupt a team's focus and cohesiveness.

Just my .02 cents.

Old
09-29-2011, 02:40 PM
NikC

Quote:
What kinds of values I have or don't have--have not a thing to do with the Rangers winning hockey games or not. And this is a point that you for one seem too obtuse to get--if Sean's inclusion in our lineup means we're a better team then we need to have him in our lineup.

I've never been much of a Sather fan but I sure am glad he's the general manager here rather than someone like you. It would seem that beyond just being able to skate up and down an ice rink our players would have to pass some kind of personality litmus test. WTF!?

lol, there is no hidden brilliance in anything that Avery is doing on the ice. Avery apologists think they're part of the " in crowd " that "get" him.
Nothing clever in saying horrendously awful things to people to get a response and then skating away.

Something terribly hypocritical and self serving to act like you've been offended by a "slur" and crying to the media about it. But hey, that's what you tune in to see, and you can relate to the guy so...?

The fact is, he isn't as good a player as he used to be and it's reflected in his performance. He's been largely a non factor as hockey player in his second tenure here. We haven't been winning games because of anything Avery does anymore.

Closed Thread