HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Reviewing the Kids so far...

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-16-2005, 05:12 AM
  #1
Balej20*
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 11,045
vCash: 500
Reviewing the Kids so far...

We're six games in, I thought we'd take a look at how each one of our younger players have performed thus far this season. Here's the list, have fun guys, give your opinions on how you think each guy has done...(I'm considering a young player anyone born in 1978 or after).

-Jamie Lundmark
-Dom Moore
-Blair Betts
-Jason Ward
-Maxim Kondratiev
-Petr Prucha
-Jed Ortmeyer
-Fedor Tyutin
-Marcel Hossa
-Henke Lundqvist
-Ryan Hollweg

Balej20* is offline  
Old
10-16-2005, 10:25 AM
  #2
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 20,486
vCash: 500
Lundmark...

can't be reviewed. Looked bad in regular season games.
Moore - smart defensive player. He works hard, really because he has to. Looks like he could wear down. I like him though.
Betts - to me, the biggest surprise. His offense is better than expected. His defense and physical side are good. Let's hope he stays healthy.
Ward - I like the kid. A hard worker, although in the last two games, his physical side's diminished somewhat. Has decent skill and is a good 3/4 liner. Like to see him pick it up to be where he was in the first four games.
'Drats - he's slowly gaining poise out there. Isn't out of position as much, but isn't hitting as much. I think he'll continue to get better.
Prucha - kid works hard and has a lot of skill. Not sure he knows how to play with Jagr though, which isn't an easy thing and it's not a knock on Prucha. He always seems to be in position for a shot or a rebound. He'll get one.
Ortmeyer - he was better in preseason, but still, like his hustle nad physical play, as well as is PK abilities. Nice fourth liner.
Tyutin - he's smart and poised with and without the puck. Still needs to pick his game up intensity wise (and not just hitting). Thought his best game was against Atlanta (still need to watch the third period, though).
Hossa - I don't know what to think. When he works hard, he loooks great and gets things done, but that's not often. When he doesn't work hard, he scores goals or gets assists. That's just weird. He has the size and skill to be a top six forward - now he just needs to want to play every shift.
Lundqvist - can't say enough about him thus far. Looks great, and with Allaire here, he'll just get better.
Hollweg - it's a numbers game with Ryan, unfortunately. Love his energy. Since he doesn't kill penalties (or isn't as good a penalty killer as Ward, Ortmeyer, Moore, and Betts) and isn't a top six forward type, he may be an odd man out.


Last edited by Fletch: 10-16-2005 at 10:59 AM.
Fletch is offline  
Old
10-16-2005, 10:48 AM
  #3
icthelight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 282
vCash: 500
-Jamie Lundmark--he has a goal in 3 games and has shown improvement, still has mental lapses

-Dom Moore--played better than I expected, but he probably will fade and be relegated to the first line in Hartford

-Blair Betts--right place, right time(his goals)...good penalty killer

-Jason Ward--good penalty killer, not much offensive upside

-Maxim Kondratiev--has made a few mistakes, but he does have the talent to be top 4

-Petr Prucha--energy guy with offensive upside, if he is on the 3rd or 4th line he will do nothing because he needs talent around him

-Jed Ortmeyer--shown some offense, great penalty killer and quality 3-4th liner

-Fedor Tyutin-our #2 d-man for the next decade or so, he won't replave Leetch but he will play better defense.

-Marcel Hossa--has loads of talent and size, plus I can see him scoring 20 plus goals. Better defensively than I expected.

-Henke Lundqvist--I have not yet annointed him as the next Richter, but he is convincing me more and more each day.

-Ryan Hollweg--energy guy with almost no offense, I don't see him as a keeper, pssible fringe 4th liner.

icthelight is offline  
Old
10-16-2005, 10:56 AM
  #4
FLYLine24*
 
FLYLine24*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 29,102
vCash: 500
]-Jamie Lundmark--No Comment

-Dom Moore--Had a strong start, not much offense from him, great PKer.

-Blair Betts--Better then Moore, shows offensive flair to his game...another great PKer

-Jason Ward--About the same offensive flair to his game as Betts, possibly our best forechecker.

-Maxim Kondratiev--Looks like a different player from the pre-season were he would mess up when pressured with the puck, he's calmer now..still makes the occasional mistake and I would like to see him hit more because he does have the size.

-Petr Prucha--Good speed, and won't back out of a corner or front of the net to try to get the puck, if he puts on 20-30 more pounds he will dangerous.

-Jed Ortmeyer--throws the body around, fights hard, usually doesn't make mistakes. Great PKer.

-Fedor Tyutin- Very impressed so far, he can break up 2 on 1s like nobodys business, very very rarely makes a mistake in his rookie season. Makes the smart all the time.

-Marcel Hossa--Strong with the puck, great asset for the 2nd line. Will get 15G/35 Points...could see him hitting 30 goals in the future.

-Henke Lundqvist--The real deal, enough said.

-Ryan Hollweg--He's one of those guys that can change the game around with a hit.


Last edited by FLYLine24*: 10-16-2005 at 11:14 AM.
FLYLine24* is offline  
Old
10-16-2005, 11:04 AM
  #5
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug
 
Fire Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
-Jamie Lundmark- May be time for a new home, Jamie.

-Dom Moore- I love him on the PK, he along with Betts, Ward, Orts is why our PK is so effective this year.

-Blair Betts- Good PKer and hard worker and his offense/use of size has added alot to his game. He stays healthy we have a good 3rd liner here.

-Jason Ward- I love his enthuasim on the ice. When hes on the ice for a goal, he jumps around. I agree with Fletch, hes been a little invisible the last couple games.

-Maxim Kondratiev- Don't hear much when hes out there. Thats a good sign. Always gets his job done.

-Petr Prucha- Incomplete on him right now. We'll see what he does with more ice time.

-Jed Ortmeyer- We know what a Jed is. Hard working 4th liner, great PKer. Useful.

-Fedor Tyutin- He needs to play more phyiscal. Our whole defense does, actually. Kaspar seems to be the only one to consistantly take the body.

-Marcel Hossa- Loved the trade when it happened, and has 3 goals already. Keep up the solid play and that trade will be a steal.

-Henke Lundqvist- What can I say? Its great stuff. Keep it going.

-Ryan Hollweg- Seems like a poor mans' Jed Ortmeyer here,(which isnt good at all) will take the body more.

Fire Sather is offline  
Old
10-16-2005, 11:13 AM
  #6
otto1219
Registered User
 
otto1219's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 998
vCash: 500
i think everyone has played excellent and i especially like the hustle and playing of moore, ortmeyer, betts, and drats. as for lundqvist we better not trade our only hope for glory.

otto1219 is offline  
Old
10-16-2005, 03:27 PM
  #7
Balej20*
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 11,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto1219
i think everyone has played excellent and i especially like the hustle and playing of moore, ortmeyer, betts, and drats. as for lundqvist we better not trade our only hope for glory.
I was thinking about this last nigth as I was watching the game...When the fans were showering Henke with praise constantly...how do you think Montoya felt sitting on the bench? Watching his Rangers career flash before his eyes?

Balej20* is offline  
Old
10-16-2005, 04:34 PM
  #8
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 20,486
vCash: 500
If Montoya...

was watching his career flash in front of his eyes, then he'll never amount to much more than an AHL goaltender. He's a couple years younger than Lundqvist, and I'd hope that he realizes that his time may come, but he needs to make it happen. Who's to say that in camp next season Montoya comes up big. Who's to say that by midseason he's not beating out Lundqvist. I doubt he's sitting there saying my Ranger career is over two games into Ludqvist's. Hopefully he's saying, I want that to be me in two years and he works to get that.

Fletch is offline  
Old
10-16-2005, 08:04 PM
  #9
xander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Section A Lynah Rink
Posts: 4,046
vCash: 500
You have to remember that Montoya is only 20 years old and has only been a pro for about 3 or 4 months. Lundqvist, on the other hand is 23 and has been playing the swedish elite league for several years, not to mention that he's spent the last year backstopping the swedish national team. . He's so far ahead of Montoya in development that it's really not fair to compare the two, they're just at differant stages in they're careers right now.

xander is offline  
Old
10-16-2005, 08:08 PM
  #10
Anthony Mauro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Anthony Mauro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,229
vCash: 500
Flyline, for Prucha I think 20-30 pounds is way too much.

Anthony Mauro is online now  
Old
10-17-2005, 02:11 AM
  #11
007
Olympic nut
 
007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mannahatta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 3,471
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88
]
Petr Prucha--Good speed, and won't back out of a corner or front of the net to try to get the puck, if he puts on 20-30 more pounds he will dangerous.
.
If he puts on 20-30 more pounds he'll be a creampuff! The only danger would be to himself. The poor guy just ain't that big, and his game is built around that deficiency. He could add 10 lbs. tops, I think, I just don't see where you're going to find 20 more lbs. of muscle on him.

007 is offline  
Old
10-17-2005, 02:41 AM
  #12
Choice
Registered User
 
Choice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: nyc
Country: Lithuania
Posts: 3,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
was watching his career flash in front of his eyes, then he'll never amount to much more than an AHL goaltender. He's a couple years younger than Lundqvist, and I'd hope that he realizes that his time may come, but he needs to make it happen. Who's to say that in camp next season Montoya comes up big. Who's to say that by midseason he's not beating out Lundqvist. I doubt he's sitting there saying my Ranger career is over two games into Ludqvist's. Hopefully he's saying, I want that to be me in two years and he works to get that.
Montoyas shot should come with another organization if Henke is the real deal.

Choice is offline  
Old
10-17-2005, 06:49 AM
  #13
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 20,486
vCash: 500
But what if...

Montoya's better?

Fletch is offline  
Old
10-17-2005, 06:57 AM
  #14
007
Olympic nut
 
007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mannahatta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 3,471
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
Montoya's better?
Stop complicating things! Don't you know that the world of prospects (and the world in general) consists of clear-cut black-and-whites!

007 is offline  
Old
10-17-2005, 10:20 AM
  #15
xander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Section A Lynah Rink
Posts: 4,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice
Montoyas shot should come with another organization if Henke is the real deal.
Why? This is the ideal situation for montoya. Because Lundqvist has been so good there will be no urge to rush Montoya, who will be able to develop at his own pace down in hartford. Then, in a few years, you can bring him up to backup Lundqvist. At that point you can begin to evaluate who you want to keep. Remember that the general consensus a year ago was that Montoya had more natural ability than Lundqvist (not saying it's true, but that's what people where saying) and it's entirly possible that he turns into the better goaltender. Whatever happens, its way to early to make any definitive decisions about either lLndqvist or Montoya.

xander is offline  
Old
10-17-2005, 10:55 AM
  #16
TexMurphy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 164
vCash: 500
Rangers should send Montoya to Frölunda for two years.

TexMurphy is offline  
Old
10-17-2005, 12:26 PM
  #17
Larry Melnyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Gloomsville, USA
Posts: 4,366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather
-Jamie Lundmark- May be time for a new home, Jamie.

-Dom Moore- I love him on the PK, he along with Betts, Ward, Orts is why our PK is so effective this year.

-Blair Betts- Good PKer and hard worker and his offense/use of size has added alot to his game. He stays healthy we have a good 3rd liner here.

-Jason Ward- I love his enthuasim on the ice. When hes on the ice for a goal, he jumps around. I agree with Fletch, hes been a little invisible the last couple games.

-Maxim Kondratiev- Don't hear much when hes out there. Thats a good sign. Always gets his job done.

-Petr Prucha- Incomplete on him right now. We'll see what he does with more ice time.

-Jed Ortmeyer- We know what a Jed is. Hard working 4th liner, great PKer. Useful.

-Fedor Tyutin- He needs to play more phyiscal. Our whole defense does, actually. Kaspar seems to be the only one to consistantly take the body.

-Marcel Hossa- Loved the trade when it happened, and has 3 goals already. Keep up the solid play and that trade will be a steal.

-Henke Lundqvist- What can I say? Its great stuff. Keep it going.

-Ryan Hollweg- Seems like a poor mans' Jed Ortmeyer here,(which isnt good at all) will take the body more.
Agree on almost everything except...

One thing to keep in mind about my boy Hollweg is that he is 22, and the youngest Ranger to suit up this year..ORTs is 5 years older....Later this year or in the years coming, it will fun to watch Orts and Hollweg playe together...

really like Prucha's game and love his potential, but it has to translate..Hope that happens tonight and he gets a permanent home...But, If he doesn't contribute or elevate tonight, maybe it's time to give Lundmark another shot....Gotta be fair, and Renney has ben very fair this season..

Larry Melnyk is offline  
Old
10-17-2005, 08:39 PM
  #18
DarthSather99
Registered User
 
DarthSather99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,245
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk
Agree on almost everything except...

One thing to keep in mind about my boy Hollweg is that he is 22, and the youngest Ranger to suit up this year..ORTs is 5 years older....Later this year or in the years coming, it will fun to watch Orts and Hollweg playe together...

really like Prucha's game and love his potential, but it has to translate..Hope that happens tonight and he gets a permanent home...But, If he doesn't contribute or elevate tonight, maybe it's time to give Lundmark another shot....Gotta be fair, and Renney has ben very fair this season..
Larry? agreed on everything, eh?

Loved that Hossa trade?

he he he ..just poking fun ...

DarthSather99 is offline  
Old
10-17-2005, 08:47 PM
  #19
Larry Melnyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Gloomsville, USA
Posts: 4,366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99
Larry? agreed on everything, eh?

Loved that Hossa trade?

he he he ..just poking fun ...
It's early...And, like I said before, the crow is warming up because of his solid play so far......but still not ready to be served....almost...

Larry Melnyk is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.