HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

NHL Realignment and the Preds

Old
09-29-2011, 04:16 PM
K3V1N

vCash: 500
Not "really." The south still loses. Key here is: Map projections. Mercator, we both win. Conic -equal area, south loses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercator_projection

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azimuth...ant_projection

Edit: And so we are truer to the conic representation when looking at a globe.

K3V1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 06:19 PM
Adz

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3V1N View Post
Not "really." The south still loses. Key here is: Map projections. Mercator, we both win. Conic -equal area, south loses.

What did I tell ya?

(Actually I have no idea what all those maps meant, I just like saying I'm right.)

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 09:33 AM
K3V1N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
What did I tell ya?

(Actually I have no idea what all those maps meant, I just like saying I'm right.)
Distances for us (or NHL) accurately represented is the conic projection.

Edit: For conic, click on the Azimuthal link.

Old
09-30-2011, 01:40 PM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:

Um, ok? It is BETTER though. Who cares if the south gets the worse end of the deal...

Do you think it is easier for the Preds to fly from Nashville to Vancouver than they are to fly from Nashville to to Carolina? (cause regardless, we have to fly out west, we just fly out west LESS times when in a conference with Carolina, Tampa, Washington, Florida, etc. And east coast teams would have to fly out west, albeit it in a shorter route than southern teams, instead of flying waaay down the coast to play in Miami, Carolina, Tampa, etc).

Also, I think Toronto would rather fly to Vancouver over flying to Miami... It just makes the most sense.

Last edited by utmfisher19: 09-30-2011 at 01:46 PM.
utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 02:20 PM
K3V1N

Quote:
Originally Posted by utmfisher19 View Post
Um, ok? It is BETTER though. Who cares if the south gets the worse end of the deal...

Do you think it is easier for the Preds to fly from Nashville to Vancouver than they are to fly from Nashville to to Carolina? (cause regardless, we have to fly out west, we just fly out west LESS times when in a conference with Carolina, Tampa, Washington, Florida, etc. And east coast teams would have to fly out west, albeit it in a shorter route than southern teams, instead of flying waaay down the coast to play in Miami, Carolina, Tampa, etc).

Also, I think Toronto would rather fly to Vancouver over flying to Miami... It just makes the most sense.

The way I look at it, Preds will have to travel extensively anyways because of no easy solution for minimizing the distance traveled (if that were a priority) due to our relative locatoin to other teams on both sides of the fence. I like the West and I like the Central Div. I (of course we all are) am interested in seeing how teams will align come "December," but we all know the focus is on us, Columbus and Detroit - what to do, what to do. Interesting to hear different arguements, whether it be a spatial distance problem, potential rivalries, time zone/tv woes, cliche north vs. south, ...

Old
10-01-2011, 05:18 PM
AEM6729

Apparently Bettman has promised Detroit's owner that he's going to the East...this coming from Ilitch himself: http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...aining-content

Do we really wanna stay in the Central if Detroit won't be in it?

I'm on Team East. Lets us travel to more away games.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 11:59 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
Apparently Bettman has promised Detroit's owner that he's going to the East...this coming from Ilitch himself: http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...aining-content

Do we really wanna stay in the Central if Detroit won't be in it?

I'm on Team East. Lets us travel to more away games.

They can keep saying that over and over. Still doesn't make it true.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:57 AM
66Falconboy

From Bob McKenzie on Twitter last night...

"More and more NHL governors convinced DET will be moving to SE Div in Eastern Conference when realignment done in early December.

Nothing firm yet on realignment, but DET has been good soldier in West for long time. WPG would be fine with Central as opposed to NW."

Wow. That one's kinda out of the clear blue sky.

66Falconboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 11:04 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Between Winnepeg, Columbus, St. Louis, and Nashville, we would sure beat Navy blue to death...

Top 6 Spaling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 11:18 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Falconboy View Post
From Bob McKenzie on Twitter last night...

"More and more NHL governors convinced DET will be moving to SE Div in Eastern Conference when realignment done in early December.

Nothing firm yet on realignment, but DET has been good soldier in West for long time. WPG would be fine with Central as opposed to NW."

Wow. That one's kinda out of the clear blue sky.
wrapping my head around Detroit in the SE is tough but is no more crazy than dallas in the Pacific.

would be a decent deal for us, at least in the short term, since we really dont depend on Wings fans to create our sellouts any more... leaves us with our other division rivals and adds a team that is currently a weak sister. Probably about the same or a little better than putting us in the SE competing with Washington and Tampa.

if true, then I reallly REALLY REALLY want to win the division this year before the Wings leave...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 11:45 AM
Legionnaire11

If it has to be the Wings going east, the SE is the best option if only for the humor of the situation. Wangs fans have been calmoring for the east for years, and years, and years... now they get it, but instead of great matchups with the Leafs, Habs and Bruins, or the Pens, Flyers and Rangers... they get the southeast. I cannot wait to hear the bellyaching out of Detroit when this happens!

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 12:00 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
If it has to be the Wings going east, the SE is the best option if only for the humor of the situation. Wangs fans have been calmoring for the east for years, and years, and years... now they get it, but instead of great matchups with the Leafs, Habs and Bruins, or the Pens, Flyers and Rangers... they get the southeast. I cannot wait to hear the bellyaching out of Detroit when this happens!
that would be ****ing epic

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 12:44 PM
66Falconboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
Go check out their HFBoards page...it has already begun!

Old
10-12-2011, 01:18 PM
Adz

But they get to go east just like they wanted!

It really does make a lot of sense. It's only one two-team switch. Winnipeg moves into the spot vacated by the Wings and there is already a built in sector in Atlanta who would either like to come see their former team or hope to see them get beaten. And it's less than fulfilling for Wings fans because when they said East they didn't mean THIS part of the east... Win win.

And the motto in all of this is "be careful what you ask for because you might get it."

Old
10-12-2011, 01:38 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
well, its really only one less home game with the teams they really want to see, since they'd play 3 home and 3 away in division and 2 home and 2 away in conference but out of division, so I suspect they'd get over it, especially since they get Ovechkin and Stamkos 3 times each...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 03:22 PM
GwtGlads2013
Glads/Preds

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
Between Winnepeg, Columbus, St. Louis, and Nashville, we would sure beat Navy blue to death...
Maybe that's why the Preds switched to gold home jerseys.

GwtGlads2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 06:02 PM
deanwormer

*IF* they were gonna' do Wings to the East, it still seems to make sense that either Dallas or Minn comes to the central. If you want to minimize moves then sure, swap the spots, but honestly, this is the NHL, are we really gonna' make it this simple?

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 06:07 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
*IF* they were gonna' do Wings to the East, it still seems to make sense that either Dallas or Minn comes to the central. If you want to minimize moves then sure, swap the spots, but honestly, this is the NHL, are we really gonna' make it this simple?
I think Dallas to the central makes sense. Honestly, I'd be a little bummed if it was just one or two little moves, for the kinda big deal some are making it.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 07:26 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

I really think the only way they do this WPG-DTR swap is if the Coyotes situation is NOT resolved before they have to decide next season's alignment...
I agree with folks who see a new substantial re-arrangement based on time zone optimization (for TV ratings)

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:34 PM
Nitrous Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash2Smash25 View Post
Maybe that's why the Preds switched to gold home jerseys.
mind = blown

Where is Mulder? I smell a conspiracy!

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 11:09 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Falconboy View Post
Go check out their HFBoards page...it has already begun!
A Mod said that Nashville has never been very good.

I posted this:

"Last season the Preds were 4-1-1 against Detroit, giving them 9 of 12 points (.750) versus 4 of 12 (.333) for Detroit while outscoring them 16 to 13. Nashville knocked out #4 Anaheim and lost to the #1 Canucks in 6 games. Detroit knocked out #6 Phoenix and lost to the #2 Sharks in 7 games. Columbus didn't qualify.

So the playoff results were a draw and the regular season was one-sided for the Preds. I wouldn't use the word "never", based on the results from last season."

I think that somebody needs Vitamin B complex, if they can't remember last year.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:57 AM
66Falconboy

Really good breakdown of the realignment issues in this article...

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=377916

Old
10-13-2011, 10:19 AM
K3V1N

"Really good breakdown of the realignment issues in this article...

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=377916"

Interesting read, but dead on imo.

Old
10-13-2011, 11:49 AM
Adz

Quote:
"Really good breakdown of the realignment issues in this article...

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=377916"

Interesting read, but dead on imo.

Not only would they be the only Eastern Conference team in the Central time zone, Nashville would instantly double the amount of travel miles for inter division play. The closest SE team (right at 450 miles) is almost as far away as the farthest Central team (530).

While Miami presents a distance challenge to everyone except Tampa Bay, with both Columbus and Detroit the visits to WAS or to NAS are a wash--but there is no time zone adjustment to play in WAS. IMO, it would be a difficult move if Nashville were to move to the SE, both in distance and fan support at other arenas.

Old
10-13-2011, 11:52 AM
66Falconboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
Not only would they be the only Eastern Conference team in the Central time zone, Nashville would instantly double the amount of travel miles for inter division play. The closest SE team (right at 450 miles) is almost as far away as the farthest Central team (530).

While Miami presents a distance challenge to everyone except Tampa Bay, with both Columbus and Detroit the visits to WAS or to NAS are a wash--but there is no time zone adjustment to play in WAS. IMO, it would be a difficult move if Nashville were to move to the SE, both in distance and fan support at other arenas.
I agree with this...