HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carkner

Old
09-29-2011, 06:14 PM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Carkner

With the end of camp coming up, the Rangers are going to most likely have to waive 2 players from the this list:

Avery
Christensen
Weise
Mitchell

For me, I think Avery is too expensive to be an extra forward. If the Rangers could move Weise for a defenseman, say Carkner for example who can provide some veteran toughness would you pull the trigger and keep Mitchell and Christensen on the roster?

Even if you don't like Carkner, who are some players the Rangers could target instead of waiving a player like Weise or Mitchell or Christensen who may be claimed?

Carkner was the first player who came to mind who would be a solid #6/7 defenseman who could play on the bottom pairing and provide some toughness if need be.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 06:57 PM
Vitto79

Carkner would be my #1 target. Couple of things would make him expendable. Sens are rebuilding and they have Cowan and Rundblad looking to make the team. I think they should play both which would bump a Dman out

Also they got Konopka in the offseason so he can replace some of Carkners toughness.

Weise would likely be a good fit for the Sens. Good young player. Not sure if they would want EC and Avery is not really tradeable. Mitchell would clear waivers so its all good there.

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 06:59 PM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

Christensen for Carkner?

I'd do it in a snap -- replace a spare cog with a comewhat useful piece. Carkner could be a solid stopgap until one of DZ/Erixon step in.

09-29-2011, 07:27 PM
Orr Nightmare

I would offer all 4 of those guys for Carkner.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 07:27 PM
NYR Viper

Yeah I would be okay with Weise going for Carkner and starting the season as:

Wolski-Richards-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan
Rupp-Stepan-MZA
Fedotenko-Boyle-Prust
Mitchell, Christensen

Staal-Girardi
McDonagh-Sauer
Erixon/MDZ-Carkner/Eminger
Carkner/Eminger

Old
09-29-2011, 07:39 PM
Miller Time NYR
Wrong^

why would ottowa want weise?

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 07:43 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
why would ottowa want weise?
Because it gives them a young player who they can add to their lower lines who will play a North-South style and add grit.

I asked on their boards and they specifically asked for Weise. COnsidering Carkner most likely wont play with:

Gonchar
Karlsson
Cowan
Runblad
Philips
Wiercioch
Kuba
Lee
Carkner

They are going to go young. Take a flyer on a young hard-nosed player and give him a chance.

Old
09-29-2011, 07:54 PM
Declan
HFB Partner

Mitchell, EC, Weise for Carkner if they'd accept, which they wouldn't. It's basically 3 AHLers for an NHL dman

Declan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 09:19 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

As a Weise supporter I think the kid deserves a shot, either with NY or with another NHL team.

Carkner is the guy who gave Boogaard a nasty shot last season, probably a concussion too

of these guys listed

Karlsson
Cowan
Runblad
Wiercioch
Lee
Carkner

Cowan is big and could replace Carkner if he makes the team
Runblad hasn't overly impressed so far this camp
Wiecioch didn't strike me as ready for the NHL
Lee had a terrible first half, was waived and sent down to the AHL. Was called back up and played relatively well.

so of the 4 perhaps only Cowan makes the team this year so I don't think Ottawa is cutting bait on Carkner. Although if the HF fans want Weise I guess that works for both clubs.

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 10:04 PM
Ave Maria
New Season New Dream

Send a message via Skype™ to Ave Maria
What type of D-man is he?

Ave Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 10:08 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

The type that hurts people.
The type when we go into Philthy everyone gains 4 inches and 30 pounds.
Get him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers4tehwin95 View Post

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 10:09 PM
pld459666

Avery has played well enough to take a regular shift.

EC and Weise have not shown much this preseason and Mitchell is here just to push guys, No real shot to make the team.

If there are guys that are going to get waived it's between EC, Weise and Mitchell

Avery has earned his spot this preseason

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 11:04 PM
Ave Maria
New Season New Dream

Send a message via Skype™ to Ave Maria
Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
The type that hurts people.
The type when we go into Philthy everyone gains 4 inches and 30 pounds.
Get him.
lets get it done

Ave Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 11:08 PM
SML

Whats with all the love for Weise? I don't see him as an energy guy unless it's for the other team. Anyone who thinks it really doesn't matter if you win a fight as long as you show up is wrong. Didn't we learn with Voros? The guy sucks the momentum right out of your team and gives it to the opposition when he gets ragdolled like a freshman on his first day of high school night after night. Weise is a terrible fighter. If you're a terrible fighter, you probably shouldnt do it nearly as often as he seems to. As far as Carkner, I have a basic problem. The tough guy seems to be going the way of the dodo. The defenseman as your tough guy went out when they cut the rosters back to 18 skaters. You just cant afford to have a defenseman play that role unless youre going to dress 7 dmen every night. I'd just as soon give Bickel a chance. As long as he wasn't playing a ton, is it that much better having Carkner?

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 11:09 PM
nyrleetch

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post

EC and Weise have not shown much this preseason and Mitchell is here just to push guys, No real shot to make the team.

If there are guys that are going to get waived it's between EC, Weise and Mitchell

Sums up my thoughts. Also odds of a team having an injury free year is slim to none. Avery gives you the best chance out of the 4 to step in and help you win.

nyrleetch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 11:13 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post

I also like the fact if Richards was to go down, EC can 'pinch-hit' on top line for a short period of time. We dont really have anyone else that could do that job.

Dont know if Sens would do Weise/3rd round draft pick for Carkner but I'd be all over that.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 12:07 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

I've liked Carkner since the first game he played against us. He's tough as nails in the paint and from the small sample size I've seen (about 10-12 games) he can be a solid bottom pair guy without being a liability. I'd prefer him over Eminger on the bottom pair. Now if due to injuries we need someone to step up and play 16-18 minutes a game, then it's likely Eminger is a better fit but who knows, Carkner is still pretty young isn't he? I'd definitely take the chance if all it costs is one of our scraps or redundant prospects.

Also, this will be my last lineup post until the regular season

I think by January we will see something like this:

Dubinsky Richards Gaborik
Boyle Anisimov Callahan
Fedotenko Stepan Zuccarello
Avery Rupp Prust
Christensen

Staal Sauer
Mcdonagh Girardi
Del Zotto Erixon
Eminger

Lundqvist
Biron

I think Christensen is the perfect spare forward because he can literally fill in on any line in any forward position and is capable of not looking out of place. I think Wolski will wear out his welcome with this team and be traded for some mediocre veteran defensive depth player before the new year. The only other question mark for me, even though Im a huge fan ( did the username give it away? ) is Zuccarello. He looked good in spurts during the flyers game but he really should've been more of a standout this preseason in order to secure a spot that certainly wasn't even necessarily his to lose. If Boyle and Fedotenko don't miss a beat, I wonder if there's really a good fit for him on this team as it's currently constructed. Gaborik, Callahan, Dubinsky take up 3 of the 4 top six wing spots. I think Boyle has earned the 4th and Wolski is still here and will be given every opportunity to fit somewhere in the top 6. Even on the third line, Zuccarello has competition with Avery, Boyle, Fedotenko, and perhaps later in the season, hagelin. Then next year kreider and Thomas likely add themselves to the mix and you cant rule out the slight possibility of Parise ending up here. I just have to wonder what Zuccarello's leash is like right now. If he doesn't start producing, I don't think he's an effective enough player in other areas to warrant an everyday roster spot.

All in all, I'd like to thank the hockey gods for letting us fill our biggest void and creating such optimism about the next few years. Let the Brad Richards era begin!!!!

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 12:21 AM
Mkhizgilov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
Staal Sauer
Mcdonagh Girardi
Del Zotto Erixon
Eminger
You have Sauer in Girardis spot?

Mkhizgilov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 12:36 AM
Sens Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
With the end of camp coming up, the Rangers are going to most likely have to waive 2 players from the this list:

Avery
Christensen
Weise
Mitchell

For me, I think Avery is too expensive to be an extra forward. If the Rangers could move Weise for a defenseman, say Carkner for example who can provide some veteran toughness would you pull the trigger and keep Mitchell and Christensen on the roster?

Even if you don't like Carkner, who are some players the Rangers could target instead of waiving a player like Weise or Mitchell or Christensen who may be claimed?

Carkner was the first player who came to mind who would be a solid #6/7 defenseman who could play on the bottom pairing and provide some toughness if need be.
The Sens are definitely open for business when it comes to defenceman. Cowen has flat out earned his position on this team as one of our defenceman placing our total up to seven. We have Konopka as a fighter so Carkner's value to us is a little bit lower.

He is a sentimental favorite to many Sens fans so don't expect them to agree Carkner can be moved. I am not sure of what Weise brings to the team but to facilitate a trade, you need to add a pick, most likely a 4th. Only have 8 picks right now for next years draft, if we move Carkner at this point in the season, we need a pick if we move him

Sens Mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 12:41 AM
Sens Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Because it gives them a young player who they can add to their lower lines who will play a North-South style and add grit.

I asked on their boards and they specifically asked for Weise. COnsidering Carkner most likely wont play with:

Gonchar
Karlsson
Cowan
Runblad
Philips
Wiercioch
Kuba
Lee
Carkner

They are going to go young. Take a flyer on a young hard-nosed player and give him a chance.
We have Greening, Condra, and Foligno among others. We really have no need for a player like that. If you guys need Carkner, a draft pick is coming back. We need some spots filled in Bingo as well on defence so maybe something like this would work for me.

To Ottawa: Stu Bickel and a 3rd/4th round pick in 2012

To New York: Carkner

Old
09-30-2011, 08:14 AM
howztheglass

The only problem I have with Carkner(who I do think would become Ranger fan favorite)is that he plays defense.I'm not saying he's a bad D-man but the problem is that if(and when)he drops his gloves he's gone for at least 5 minutes leaving the team with only 5 D-man to play.Now if he also gets that a 10 minute misconduct we have to play the whole period down a D-man.It's always easier to have your tough guy be a winger then a defenseman.

howztheglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 08:38 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Im a big fan of Carkner. Rangers don't have a Carkner type of player on the roster. In the system they do with McIlrath and Noreau, but on the roster they do not.

If he could be had for Christensen I would do it. And I am one of Christensens only fans here. But...for that added snarl, yep id give up the shootout guy in a minute. Especially if the midget is going to stick around for a while.

Last year there was a thread on Carkner for Gilroy swap but Sens fans I believe were appauled by it. They seem to love the guy there, so is Carkner actually on the block? Was there a link or something that said he's on the outs this season?

Last edited by Lion Hound: 09-30-2011 at 09:07 AM.
Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 08:58 AM
Sens Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Im a big fan of Carkner. Rangers don't have a Carkner type of player obn the roster. In the system they do with McIlratha nd Noreau, but on the roster they do not.

If he could be had for Christensen I would do it. And I am one of Christensens only fans here. But...for that added snarl, yep id give up the shootout guy in a minute. Especially if the midget is going to stick around for a while.

Last year there was a thread on Carkner for Gilroy swap but Sens fans I believe were appauled by it. They seem to love the guy there, so is Carkner actually on the block? Was there a link or something that said he's on the outs this season?
Its more of a logical thought that he will be moved. 8 Defenceman that could arguably crack our blue line with 5 of them more valuale to the organization than Carkner. We cannot move Gonchar or Kuba so this may be one of our few options. Additionally he is UFA at the end of the year and considering how we are looking to add quite a few more prospects at the draft (Or assets to mov up) Carkner is logical to be traded at some point this season

Old
09-30-2011, 09:09 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers4tehwin95 View Post
He's the type that you have to tell "the little discs in the urinals are not breath mints, please don't eat them!"

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 09:41 AM
Tony D63
Tortsless Rangers

I want Carkner. Mitchell, Weise, and a third.

Tony D63 is offline   Reply With Quote