HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pre-Season Waived Players

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-25-2011, 07:06 PM
  #26
tiger_80
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,533
vCash: 500
Is Finger SO bad that the Leafs keep sending him to the minors year after year?

Thought Caputi was a pretty good prospect. Wonder if a team like Winnipeg or Ottawa whose prospect pool at forward is not great, picks him up.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 07:08 PM
  #27
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,545
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
Is Finger SO bad that the Leafs keep sending him to the minors year after year?

Thought Caputi was a pretty good prospect. Wonder if a team like Winnipeg or Ottawa whose prospect pool at forward is not great, picks him up.
No, because he's not a good prospect, that was der Toronto media spin and coverage.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:14 AM
  #28
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,207
vCash: 50
So you sign a guy to a two year deal only to waive him? What did Dallas want out of Godard? Although is it this year he has a two-way deal or next year? Maybe it's about money?

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 12:04 PM
  #29
Brodeur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 12,116
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
So you sign a guy to a two year deal only to waive him? What did Dallas want out of Godard? Although is it this year he has a two-way deal or next year? Maybe it's about money?
It's two way this year, one way in 2012-13. So it's not a shock that he got demoted this year. Just stranger that they needed to give him a second year in the first place. Seems like semi-common practice to hand out those two year deals (one way in the last year) to vets.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 11:22 AM
  #30
The Human Torch
Registered User
 
The Human Torch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Amsterdam
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 5,118
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Anaheim waived JF Jacques today. Big, strong guy like that might look good on our top line!

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 11:32 AM
  #31
ales83fan
Registered User
 
ales83fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,809
vCash: 500
Wishart? Maybe we could claim him and trade him for roloson? We could use a guy like him in net.

ales83fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 12:29 PM
  #32
popo
Registered User
 
popo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 244
vCash: 500
Woudn't be surprised if Yzerman is watching the Waiver wire. I think TBay has some depth issues, and didn't do much on the free agent market. Last year they picked up Ritola from Detroit. Also found roles for unheralded guys like Moore, Bergenheim, Clark, and now Shannon.

popo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 12:56 PM
  #33
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size
 
OneMoreAstronaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,488
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Human Torch View Post
Anaheim waived JF Jacques today. Big, strong guy like that might look good on our top line!
Great reclamation project! I could see the Oilers picking him up and seeing if he could turn it around after a few years

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 02:17 PM
  #34
iddmitch
Registered User
 
iddmitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 443
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
It's two way this year, one way in 2012-13. So it's not a shock that he got demoted this year. Just stranger that they needed to give him a second year in the first place. Seems like semi-common practice to hand out those two year deals (one way in the last year) to vets.
If it is a two way this year then why was he placed on waivers? That seems wrong to me but then again maybe I am wrong.

iddmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 02:21 PM
  #35
PuckNut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iddmitch View Post
If it is a two way this year then why was he placed on waivers? That seems wrong to me but then again maybe I am wrong.
You are wrong. Two-way contracts have nothing to do with waiver eligibility. It is age and years of service that determine that.

PuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 02:22 PM
  #36
Spawn
Registered User
 
Spawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,415
vCash: 500
Wishart waived? Has he fallen off that much? I remember he used to be one of San Jose's top prospects.

Only 23 years old too. 27 points in 51 games in the AHL last year and played 20 games in the bigs, 5 points and +5 with the Islanders. Maybe I'm just reading stats and he's not that good. Meh... no real room for him here.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 02:23 PM
  #37
iddmitch
Registered User
 
iddmitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 443
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckNut View Post
You are wrong. Two-way contracts have nothing to do with waiver eligibility. It is age and years of service that determine that.
ok. cool thanks, I never actually read up on waivers and how they work so that makes sense. I learn something everyday on this site.

iddmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 02:24 PM
  #38
awesomo
HARD!
 
awesomo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: location, location
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,630
vCash: 500
Poor Jfj can't even play if he was picked up.

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 03:16 PM
  #39
misfit
Moderator
 
misfit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: just north of...everything
Posts: 15,576
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Wishart waived? Has he fallen off that much? I remember he used to be one of San Jose's top prospects.

Only 23 years old too. 27 points in 51 games in the AHL last year and played 20 games in the bigs, 5 points and +5 with the Islanders. Maybe I'm just reading stats and he's not that good. Meh... no real room for him here.
I think he had the benefit of being one of the better defensemen in a poor draft (particularly on defense) which allowed him to go in the first round. That first round status probably gave him more opportunities and probably had people expecting more than they should've from him (including being so high on SJ's prospect list).

It's kind of cool how we took 2 defensemen in that draft (Petry and Peckham) in the 2nd and 3rd round, and you could probably put them in the top 5 defensemen from that draft already.

__________________
If you are offended by this post, it's probably because you're ugly.
misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 03:17 PM
  #40
Oilerdiehard
Registered User
 
Oilerdiehard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,458
vCash: 500
Looks like Colin McDonald did not last much longer in camp with an NHL contract in his pocket than he did with the Oil and an AHL contract. Obviously signed for the farm team.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 05:02 PM
  #41
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
Looks like Colin McDonald did not last much longer in camp with an NHL contract in his pocket than he did with the Oil and an AHL contract. Obviously signed for the farm team.
What's the 411 on his this season?

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 02:07 AM
  #42
Eskimo44
Registered User
 
Eskimo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5,410
vCash: 500
Ty Wishart being waived is pretty suprising, IMO. Makes Yzerman look genius.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 06:35 PM
  #43
belair
Registered User
 
belair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,936
vCash: 500
CAR waives Bobby Sanguinetti (6'3, 182lbs, RHD)

The kid was drafted 2006 1st Rnd, 21st overall. Good hands, good outlet pass, offensive touch. But a defensive liability, no physical game. Still only 23.

Chorney v. Sanguinetti

Who's better?

belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 07:06 PM
  #44
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,207
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
CAR waives Bobby Sanguinetti (6'3, 182lbs, RHD)

The kid was drafted 2006 1st Rnd, 21st overall. Good hands, good outlet pass, offensive touch. But a defensive liability, no physical game. Still only 23.

Chorney v. Sanguinetti

Who's better?
I don't think it matters. I can't see them going after another guy similar to what they have. Especially with the contract situation.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 08:43 PM
  #45
The Head Crusher
Moderator
 
The Head Crusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,944
vCash: 18821
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Human Torch View Post
Anaheim waived JF Jacques today. Big, strong guy like that might look good on our top line!
Can they even waive him with the suspension?

__________________
The Head Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 08:50 PM
  #46
Moneypuck
Registered User
 
Moneypuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,324
vCash: 500
Oilers should put Brule and Chorney through waivers, be good to lose atleast one of those guys.

Moneypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 12:10 PM
  #47
jukon
#Nailedit
 
jukon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,500
vCash: 500
Can anyone tell me which of our players are not waiver exempt? Who might we be worried about losing?

jukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 12:35 PM
  #48
The Head Crusher
Moderator
 
The Head Crusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,944
vCash: 18821
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by jukon View Post
Can anyone tell me which of our players are not waiver exempt? Who might we be worried about losing?
Chorney, Brule, Yan Denis (already on waivers should clear soon). These are the ones in my mind that may not make the team and would have to be put on waivers to be sent down.

The Head Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 12:40 PM
  #49
Master Lok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Head Crusher View Post
Can they even waive him with the suspension?
I'm guessing they can waive him.

Sending him down off the roster may be the issue -but I think there's precedent for sending down a player to the AHL on suspension (Downey). The AHL can choose to honor the NHL suspension and suspend him for an equal amount of AHL games, but the NHL owner still forfeits the NHL salary equivalent of games regardless if the player is in the AHL or the NHL I believe.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 12:47 PM
  #50
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Head Crusher View Post
Chorney, Brule, Yan Denis (already on waivers should clear soon). These are the ones in my mind that may not make the team and would have to be put on waivers to be sent down.
I think everyone cleared from yesterday.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.