HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pre #6|Sep 29, 2011|Devils at Flyers|7:00 p.m. ET

Old
09-29-2011, 09:39 PM
mirimon

vCash: 500
It is still weird as hell seeing Jagr play for us, but I think I can learn to live with it somehow as the season rolls along.

Leighton on waivers today, tomorrow it's Walker? He had a pretty bad game tonight, but I feel kind of sorry for him (no, not really... he's making 1.7 million dollars playing hockey after all), he just has no chance of staying up with that cap hit. At least, he shouldn't have.

I don't think we'll see Zolnierczyk and Rinaldo on the opening roster either, but those two together with Sestito could make a pretty damn annoying energy line for the Phantoms. The stupid would be strong with that line though.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 09:39 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
First post-game win celebration toast of the season:

I'll take you up on that.

09-29-2011, 09:44 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
It is still weird as hell seeing Jagr play for us, but I think I can learn to live with it somehow as the season rolls along.

Leighton on waivers today, tomorrow it's Walker? He had a pretty bad game tonight, but I feel kind of sorry for him (no, not really... he's making 1.7 million dollars playing hockey after all), he just has no chance of staying up with that cap hit. At least, he shouldn't have.

I don't think we'll see Zolnierczyk and Rinaldo on the opening roster either, but those two together with Sestito could make a pretty damn annoying energy line for the Phantoms. The stupid would be strong with that line though.
I disagree. I think this team needs Rinaldo on the 4th line this year.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 09:46 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 681
Did anyone else pick up JJs comment regarding the reason Walker was paired with Coburn? Timonen was with Meszaros because Mes was more familiar playing the right side defense. It could be that Laviolette and his staff are favoring Walker being the lone dman with a right shot.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 09:49 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
I disagree. I think this team needs Rinaldo on the 4th line this year.
"Needs?"

If your team 'needs' a specific person (rookie) to be a 4th line player with roughly 6-minutes per night, it's going to be a long season.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 09:53 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
"Needs?"

If your team 'needs' a specific person (rookie) to be a 4th line player with roughly 6-minutes per night, it's going to be a long season.
Yeah, I'd prefer if we have a fourth line that can eat up 10-12 minutes. Like we had 2 seasons ago. Nödl-Betts-Talbot could be a pretty solid line I think.

Old
09-29-2011, 09:55 PM
Flyers1974

OK Read Rinaldo and Z; none of them where going to be mistaken for Wayne Gretzky
tonight; but none played poorly. They were all sound defensively and gave so much energy to the scorers. I take back what I said about Betts; he should make the team.
Couturier is getting better each game. Briere needs somebody that can keep up with
him, maybe next game they should try Read and Simmonds with him. I love Scotty
but he still is such a bonehead, falling down idiot that somehow makes two or three really
good plays a game. And of course what can you say about Giroux, Jagr and Simmonds
tonight, pro all-stars making things count when they needed to be counted on. Bob>
Bryz. Defense looked solid. Carle faded into the background tonight once Pronger
got on the ice. Up until tonight he was outstanding. Everybody else looked good on the
defense. Walker........hmmmm.......you have to admit he tries and tries hard but something somewhere there is just something missing. Cannot place it. He was not out of position, his passing was reasonable, just cannot place what that "something missing" is? Do you? Good solid game.

Flyers1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 10:00 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

The forwards coming back on defense is a good sign, too. The gap that had a tendency to rear its ugly head in the past, hasn't been an issue... so far.

Old
09-29-2011, 10:03 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Did anyone else pick up JJs comment regarding the reason Walker was paired with Coburn? Timonen was with Meszaros because Mes was more familiar playing the right side defense. It could be that Laviolette and his staff are favoring Walker being the lone dman with a right shot.
Yeah that is a good observation. I know the flyers are dying for somebody with a right shot on the backend to perform. Last guy I remember they tried to win a spot with a right hand shot was Nolan freaken Baumgartner!

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 10:05 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

I guess this means Pronger has ruled himself out of Saturday's game: "Put it on my gravestone that I'm not going to play a preseason game in Newark."

Old
09-29-2011, 10:05 PM
Miss Mess

I have seen like 3 minutes of the pre-season. How have Bryz and Briere looked?

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 10:07 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mess View Post
I have seen like 3 minutes of the pre-season. How have Bryz and Briere looked?
Bryz played the first half of the game tonight and it was by far his best effort.

To add, Briere. No problems there.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 09-29-2011 at 10:18 PM.
Old
09-29-2011, 10:11 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Cheers, MSE.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 10:11 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

^ Cheers. You can buy the first round tonight.

Old
09-29-2011, 10:13 PM
redfield85

Send a message via AIM to redfield85
Worst Flyers game I have ever been to. The beer tasted like complete trash (although I had three of them), the usher gave us crap during pregame because we were in someone's seats (that were sitting next to us... he then gave me hassle and asked for my ticket for proof), then we had a 15 year old and her friend (seemingly unattended) screaming the whole damn game.

As the buzzer went, I turned around and asked if she had season tickets. She said no, all confused, as I walked away yelling "THANK GOD." She apparently had the most pissy face as I walked out.

Like, I get it. You want to support your team, little kid. Great. Don't scream in our ears the whole night. The lady in front of me turned around looking and I asked if she was looking for the screaming *expletive*. She laughed. The only thing that drowned her out a little was the goal horn and even then she wouldn't shut it.

redfield85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 10:20 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
^ Cheers. You can buy the first round tonight.

hope u like beer!

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 10:21 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

^It matches the GDT song.

Post-game articles:

1 of 2

http://www.printthis.clickability.co...lyers_win.html

Quote:
After a four-surgery season he called "the year from hell," new captain Chris Pronger was in the Flyers lineup Thursday for the first time in the preseason.

Pronger looked a bit rusty in the opening period but seemed to find his rhythm in the second period. He spent time at the point on the power play, and he helped set up the Flyers' two power-play goals in their 2-1 win over the New Jersey Devils at the Wells Fargo Center.

Pronger was credited with just one assist, but he keyed both goals.

"You can only practice so much and try to prepare that way, but there's nothing like some good, old-fashioned, live-action hockey," Pronger said before the opening faceoff. "You can't simulate that."

Pronger, who will turn 37 next month, was paired with his old defensive partner, Matt Carle. He also was on the power-play and penalty killing units.

"Decisions need to be quicker, and obviously the pace of a game is a lot quicker," he said about facing the Devils. "So getting into that action is what you need to prepare for the season."

Coach Peter Laviolette was happy to have him back. Pronger hadn't played since an April 30 playoff game against Boston; he had back surgery on May 13.

"It's always good when he's on the ice and in the room," Laviolette said before the game. "He wanted to play tonight. It was his call."
Quote:
Because of injuries, James van Riemsdyk, Brayden Schenn, and Andreas Nodl were not in Thursday's lineup. Schenn and Nodl are not locks to make the opening-night roster.

Rookie forwards Matt Read and Sean Couturier, among the players battling for roster spots, continued their impressive play. Couturier centered Max Talbot and Simmonds, while Read played left wing on an effective line that include Giroux and Jagr.
2 of 2

http://www.phillyburbs.com/sports/fl...tml?mode=print

Quote:
PHILADELPHIA — Those who worried about the status of Chris Pronger’s back can rest easy. Judging by the way he played Thursday night in his first game since last spring’s major surgery, things are going to be fine.

The captain played a respectable 19 minutes, 35 seconds in a 2-1 win over the New Jersey Devils and didn’t miss a beat. That’s not quite up to his career average of 27:23, but it’s a start.

Pronger had an impact on the game, too. He put some energy into the power play, which went 2-for-4 and is now 5-for-its-last-11. He even got an assist on Wayne Simmonds’ goal in the second period that tied the score.

“I felt OK,’’ Pronger said. “The first period was kind of fast, which was a good way to get back into the flow. As the game settled down, I felt a little more comfortable, I was able to get more comfortable, get into some scrums, some pushing matches.

“I’ve been working pretty hard at the rink, away from the media . . . I won’t know I’ll feel until tomorrow but I felt pretty good (in the game).’’

Pronger made it seem like he didn’t need to play in Saturday’s preseason finale at New Jersey but it’s a good bet he wants to get in one more game test before the season opener on Oct. 6 in Boston.

“Put on my headstone that I won’t go to Newark (N.J.) for a preseason game,’’ he cracked.

The Flyers can certainly use a healthy Pronger on the power play. Last year’s unit finished a dismal 19th in the NHL at just 16.6 percent.

With Jaromir Jagr, who scored Thursday night’s winner with 7:12 to play, on board, it should be a lot better this season.

“We’ve been doing a good job of moving, not staying stagnant,’’ Pronger said. “We have some interchangeable parts that can move around — set up on the left, the right, they can move around out there. That’s a nice luxury to have and allows a lot of good looks.’’

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 09-29-2011 at 11:11 PM.
Old
09-29-2011, 10:37 PM
litflyersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Yeah that is a good observation. I know the flyers are dying for somebody with a right shot on the backend to perform. Last guy I remember they tried to win a spot with a right hand shot was Nolan freaken Baumgartner!
Wasn't it Steve John Carlson Eminger?

litflyersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 11:08 PM
GirouxCouturier
GirouxMVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
ugh god no. butt rock
How about kim by eminem?

GirouxCouturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 11:10 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by litflyersfan View Post
Wasn't it Steve John Carlson Eminger?
Yeah good catch actually....I forgot Holmgren trumped Clarke's stupidity

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 12:45 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post

I disagree with you on Walker. I thought he along with the rest of the d played great.Coby put him that one bad spot. He is on my team if we can fit him.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 01:19 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

I honestly dont know how we can have Walker on this roster. Not that I want him, he ****ing sucks. The guy makes too much freakin money for a 6/7 defenseman. like by 800-1 million.
Send him to the AHL. Lilja sucks as well, but makes half of what Walker makes.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 05:36 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I just have the view that the flyers would not have signed Lilja if they wanted Walker on the roster. Walker's cap hit would put Schenn in the minors. I can't see that happening either.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 08:05 AM
mirimon

Yeah, I think Walker has been pretty good so far this time around (except yesterday), and hadn't it been for his contract I wouldn't mind having him as the 6th d. Now that he has it though, not so much.

Old
09-30-2011, 08:16 AM
Doyle

Chemistry, Success of Power Play Continue for Flyers in 2-1 Win Over Devils
http://nhlhotstove.com/chemistry-suc...e+Hot+Stove%29

Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote