HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Star Wingers Moving To Center

Old
09-29-2011, 02:58 PM
vadim sharifijanov
ugh

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadArcand View Post
Hard to say, some RCs have him as C, but:

etc.
weird. i remember him at center his rookie year, but again this was a long time ago and i was just a kid with my hockey cards. but i do remember reading speculation that sundin might have made the all-rookie team at any position other than center, because fedorov had that great rookie year. (jagr made the team at LW, ken hodge jr. at RW; sundin was neck and neck with them for second in the rookie point race behind feds, tying hodge and slightly outscoring jagr.)

that was two years before they combined LW and RW into two W positions, and some years after that they just changed it to three Fs for the all-rookie team. which i guess makes sense, because as this discussion indicates rookies often play multiple positions. ken hodge was listed at both C and RW, and of course we all remember jagr as a RW.

but anyway, sundin was definitely drafted as a center coming out of sweden right? can any swedish hockey buffs confirm?

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 10:19 PM
seventieslord
Student Of The Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
weird. i remember him at center his rookie year, but again this was a long time ago and i was just a kid with my hockey cards. but i do remember reading speculation that sundin might have made the all-rookie team at any position other than center, because fedorov had that great rookie year. (jagr made the team at LW, ken hodge jr. at RW; sundin was neck and neck with them for second in the rookie point race behind feds, tying hodge and slightly outscoring jagr.)

that was two years before they combined LW and RW into two W positions, and some years after that they just changed it to three Fs for the all-rookie team. which i guess makes sense, because as this discussion indicates rookies often play multiple positions. ken hodge was listed at both C and RW, and of course we all remember jagr as a RW.

but anyway, sundin was definitely drafted as a center coming out of sweden right? can any swedish hockey buffs confirm?
The NHL official guide and record book 1989-90 (published just a couple months after he was drafted) calls hm "center/right wing".

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 10:28 PM
Canadiens1958

Mats Sundin

The Mats Sundin issue reflects the turmoil of the Nordiques franchise in the late 1980s/early 1990s, especially at the coachong level.

Sundin played C and RW.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote