HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Voynov

Old
09-29-2011, 05:37 PM
SkateFreak

vCash: 500
Voynov

Do you see him taking Martinez spot once Doughty Signs(whenever that is..)

SkateFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 05:38 PM
kingsholygrail
Hail HYDRA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkateFreak View Post
Do you see him taking Martinez spot once Doughty Signs(whenever that is..)
As of now? No. Martinez has been a pleasant surprise.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 05:43 PM
BringTheReign

I haven't seen enough of Voynov play to say much, but I think if they are similarly good at defense, we should take Voynov considering his prowess is QB'ing the power play, which needed desperate help at the end of last year. With him, Stoll, Johnson, and Doughty at the point, we'd do well.

BringTheReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 05:46 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

vCash: 567
Cant say. Both he and Martinez have been very good in the preseason. It'll be interesting to see how much time Slava sees in LA this year, I think the kid will be a great player.

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 05:48 PM
Fishhead

I don't think he will take A-Mart's spot outright. What I am hoping happens is that he's kept on as the 7th and gets rotated into the lineup.

It's a long and difficult season, and there are going to be injuries. Even without someone getting hurt, there are plenty of opportunities to give guys a break.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 05:49 PM
BigBrown
They did it!

Doubt it.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 05:58 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

No way. A-Mart stays. When Doughty signs, (yes, when, not if) I know lots of you will disagree with this, but I believe Voynov should get in the lineup over Greene. I know Greener is a leader and all, but he's simply not versatile enough and he takes dumb penalties. Voynov is the complete package.

Mitchell-Doughty

Johnson-Scuds

A-Mart-Voynov

Greene (Drewiske gets waived)

TwoForRoughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 06:06 PM
Johnny Utah

Martinez has shown one thing that Voynov hasn't, the ability to throw big hits. We have seen the clips of Voynov in his 1-2 AHL fights, but he isn't overly physical...Martinez, though doesn't fight, has shown he can throw Doughty-Blake type checks, which is intriguing since he is a small body.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 06:22 PM
Fishhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGoo View Post
No way. A-Mart stays. When Doughty signs, (yes, when, not if) I know lots of you will disagree with this, but I believe Voynov should get in the lineup over Greene. I know Greener is a leader and all, but he's simply not versatile enough and he takes dumb penalties. Voynov is the complete package.

Mitchell-Doughty

Johnson-Scuds

A-Mart-Voynov

Greene (Drewiske gets waived)
Voynov is obviously more skilled, but no way does Greene not play all the time. He's our most physical D-man and Voynov does not bring that aspect to his game whatsoever. We only have a couple guys on the roster that will drop the gloves, and Greene is one of them. A lineup without toughness would not be pretty.

I could see him getting in games for Greene if the opponent isn't an aggressive/physical one, but there aren't too many of those teams around.

Old
09-29-2011, 06:25 PM
bcking

IMO he should be ahead of Greene and Drewieske...........He has paid his dues in the ahl and deserves to be on the roster.

bcking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 06:29 PM
Johnny Utah

Right now Voynov is in for Doughty...the question becomes what happens when Drew comes back, does Voynov take Martinez's spot or end up back in Manchester? Drewiske is the #7 guy for sure....

Kings don't want Voynov sitting out as the #8 guy behind Drewiske, might as well send him to Manchester and recall him when needed.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 06:43 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

vCash: 567
We also gotta wait and see how he performs on a consistent basis. Considering the way things are with DD, Voynov should get into at least a handful of regular season games to start it off.

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 06:54 PM
Tonellisghost
WE ARE THE KINGS!!!!

Ugh....

Tonellisghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 07:20 PM
luckies12

Send a message via MSN to luckies12
Im looking at picking him up in a keeper pool where points are all that matters. He seems to have some serious upside especially on the PP. What are his projections in the future as it seems he may be the odd man out this year when Doughty signs?

luckies12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 07:38 PM
Face Wash

No way Greene is ever a healthy scratch. He plays a role the Kings need, he blocks and changes shots, physical, team leader. You're crazy if you thing Voynov plays over him if/when DD signs. I like VV a lot but as GMs and coaches always say this time of year....it's a numbers game. And short of trading someone (not likely) or injury (always a distinct possibility), he's eventually going to the Manch if Doughty and the Kings can work a compromise (big if).

Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 08:06 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash View Post
No way Greene is ever a healthy scratch. He plays a role the Kings need, he blocks and changes shots, physical, team leader. You're crazy if you thing Voynov plays over him if/when DD signs. I like VV a lot but as GMs and coaches always say this time of year....it's a numbers game. And short of trading someone (not likely) or injury (always a distinct possibility), he's eventually going to the Manch if Doughty and the Kings can work a compromise (big if).
The Kings have Scuderi and Mitchell for blocking/changing shots. Oh, and they're BOTH leaders. Voynov is more versatile than Greene is, and his defense isn't too shabby either. Oh, and Vito doesn't take dumb penalties like Greene does. Maybe Voynov doesn't overtake Greene this year, it can certainly happen, but I don't think Greene is a part of the Kings future. Imo, he was brought in to help "mentor" young kids and to teach them to play the right way. We don't need that anymore. It's time to let the more talented guys play.

TwoForRoughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 08:19 PM
Fishhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGoo View Post
The Kings have Scuderi and Mitchell for blocking/changing shots. Oh, and they're BOTH leaders. Voynov is more versatile than Greene is, and his defense isn't too shabby either. Oh, and Vito doesn't take dumb penalties like Greene does. Maybe Voynov doesn't overtake Greene this year, it can certainly happen, but I don't think Greene is a part of the Kings future. Imo, he was brought in to help "mentor" young kids and to teach them to play the right way. We don't need that anymore. It's time to let the more talented guys play.
Remember Greene was young when the Kings traded for him, he's not a mentor. This is Mitchell's last year on his contract, and Scuds is up next year, so who is going to do the dirty work when they are gone? He brings things our other defensmen just cannot. He's by far the most physical, he can fight if need be, and he can clear big bodies from the front of the net. I love me some Voynov, but is he going to clear the Holmstroms of the world from in front of Quick/Bernier? The whole point of a stay at home/puck mover is balance, and Voynov is of the puck moving variety.

I really don't see how Greene isn't a big part of what the organization is building.

Old
09-29-2011, 08:44 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Too early to tell. For all we know, Dean turns around and trades him after Doughty signs... The possibilities are limitless. No way he plays over Greene though. I've always hoped that we shed one of the veterans and promote one of the youngsters to 2nd pairing offense because I think Drew and Jack should be paired to develop long-term chemistry as a pairing ala Niedermayer and Pronger. I think Voynov would be a perfect 2nd pairing offensive defenseman. Just have to wait and see what happens, too much up in the air.

"I think part of his game is hes over aggressive at times, which I like. Well tame that. Id rather tame a lion than paint stripes on the kitty cat." - Dean Lombardi discussing Brayden McNabb

Last edited by Telos: 09-29-2011 at 08:58 PM.
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 09:12 PM
Whiskeypete

with Telos on this....so many options for DL to play out.

agree also that Greene doesn't sit, or get traded. especially with Mitchell and Scud's contracts up after this season.

i will be surprised to see Willie back next season - at that point to much of a gamble age wise, when LA is loaded at D. 50/50 that Scud's is traded early this year to make room for someone. if he isn't then i see him re-signed next year again, so LA has Greene and Scuds filling the defensive D roles and mentoring the kids.

no way in hell, errr Murray's world would he pair AMart and VV together at this point. a rookie and a 2nd yr D-man on the ice together.....Terry would never allow two young D out there.

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 09:21 PM
markisonfire
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheReign View Post
I haven't seen enough of Voynov play to say much, but I think if they are similarly good at defense, we should take Voynov considering his prowess is QB'ing the power play, which needed desperate help at the end of last year. With him, Richards, Johnson, and Doughty at the point, we'd do well.
Fixed that for you.

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 10:40 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
...Voynov wouldn't split to Russia, would he?

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 10:42 PM
bobafettish*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
...Voynov wouldn't split to Russia, would he?
why do you have to be such a downer

we'll just play 7 defenseman.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 10:44 PM
Halpysback

Mitchell Doughty
Johnson Greene
Scuderi Voynov
Martinez

Problem?

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 10:45 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Sucks for Slava.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 10:48 PM
bcking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Mitchell Doughty
Johnson Greene
Scuderi Voynov
Martinez

Problem?
Yeah Terry Murray is the coach and that won't happen now, he would rather have Drewiske as the #7

bcking is offline   Reply With Quote