HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

*crickets* -_______-

Old
09-29-2011, 10:52 PM
Oleg Petrov

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise from the Ashes View Post
I think we should deal Kostitsyn for a defenseman.
Agreed. To VAN for Salo.

Oleg Petrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 10:53 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Petrov View Post
Agreed. To VAN for Salo.
one injury plagued d-man is enough

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 10:54 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Considering people have been going overboard all pre-season, I think it's appropriate.

We're 1-6 in the pre-season sure, but this was the first game with anything close to an nhl lineup. I really don't see how the previous 5 losses should reflect anything about the season when 85% of the players in those losses wouldn't even be on the team in the next two years.
Yes, but in the first game with personnel approaching an NHL-type roster the Habs accomplished nothing.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 10:56 PM
Oleg Petrov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
one injury plagued d-man is enough
Salo's fine, just lacking some "balls"

Oleg Petrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 10:58 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
desharnais' line is thrown against stamkos' line with predictable result.

where's the gomez haters that said that desharnais could replace gomez on the second line now?

*crickets*
larger
Not many have said that. I fact, and a number have always questioned the size and defensive ability of Desharnais. Most posters see him as providing some offense to a third line, not much more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by not quite yoda View Post
I thought the possession time was nearly even after 2 periods. The difference was goaltending and stamkos' shooting ability. In the 3rd we just packed it in and they took over. TB scored 6 this game. We would have been more competitive (effort wise) had the game been closer.

So, which prospect do we trade for an actual backup? Gauthier ain't great at analyzing goalies. Ramo for Desjardins? Ramo ignored? sanford released? Auld let go? Macintyre realeased? And we sign Budaj for 2 years.

I think if Markov does indeed come back healthy after 10 games our PP would be fine.
PG must have thought that Budaj would be able to play in more games than Auld. He may have been mistaken.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 11:18 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
PG must have thought that Budaj would be able to play in more games than Auld. He may have been mistaken.
I was thinking Ty Conklin would have been a good back-up.

Heck, if Emery doesn't make the Hawks sign him, and waive Budaj...or send him to Hamilton.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 11:19 PM
Et le But

Chill out.

Et le But is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 11:20 PM
Guess

Quote:
I mostly agree. Gill shold be playing senior hockey somewhere. Diaz needs to learn how to defend an opposing forward one-on-one. Campoli was decent. Subban played the way he did at the start of last season, not the way he finished. Yemelin did OK but I expected still more. Budaj performed well during the 3rd period power play but was otherwise unimpressive. He failed to face shooters squarely. I didn't see anything that would make me prefer him to Auld. Gallagher started well but pooped out. To my surprise, Pacioretty didn't have a good game. Except for a few hits, neither did KJostitsyn. I was svcared when Gorges got his legs tangled up but I was relieved that he came back.
Is this lineup inferior to last year's? That's a lot of negativity

Guess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 11:22 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
He was ready in the 1st. Strangely, wasn't ready in the 2nd and 3rd. Sorry but for me, that's BS. Is AKost ready? Is Emelin ready? Is Diaz ready? I can name you 10 guys right now that doesn't seem NHL ready....Is Creampuff Engqvist ready?

So Gallagher will go back in Vancouver expecting to score 100 goals in 50 games. How's that going to mature his game? Maybe a Team Canada performance would? Let's hope he gets pick 'cause that's not a gimme, though with the numerous guys that will stick in the NHL, he has more chance to do so. Yet, it's still not a gimme.

I can tell you that Gallagher would be ready for a lot of teams. So it's not about Gallagher not being ready. It's about us having to play our "contracts". But I'm just frustrated to see how we're expecting our rookies and young players to be mistake free while most if not ALL our vets aren't.....Reason why we lost a few guys in the past years that finally ended up playing well while they have the confidence they needed.
Amen.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 11:27 PM
MathMan

Quote:
No. Montreal's blueline is fine. Once Markov returns, Montreal has possibly the best blueline in the conference.

A lot of noise has been made about the question marks on D, without noticing that the range of possible outcomes went from "above-average" to "best in conference". Have a look at what other teams in the conference have on D. It's not all roses over there either.

The D will be the team's strength. Just needs to get its people and its synchronism back. Too many changes relative to the first game last season.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 11:29 PM
Theosis
11, 27, 31, 67, 76 ♥

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
I think he played in another.
Yeah he played in either the Dallas or Buffalo game, I forget which.

Theosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 11:33 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theosis View Post
Yeah he played in either the Dallas or Buffalo game, I forget which.
Buffalo. Did really well in the O-zone, but tended to spend entirely too much time in the D-zone because the Habs were unable to recover the puck and transition while he was on the ice.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 11:36 PM
Habs13

Budaj is brutal... lucky to have allowed just four that count, because Lceavalier and Tom ****ing Pyatt's goal should have counted.

Kostitsyn was total crap today and he alone was resonsible for Stamko's first goal, hell, they should have given him an assist on the play.

Desharnais can be placed in front of his own goalie with a gentle shove... he's that small.

Georges is an iron horse!

Gomez is the Gomez of last year.

Yemelin was punishing in the third, a sign he is getting comfortable on NA ice?

Blunden should be on the team!

Enqvist... wait, did he play tonight?

Subban ....ok, I want to know what he was saying to Lecavalier because that was pretty funny! And good for him, smackin' Stamko's in the gob after getting the same done to him.

Markov... we need you!!!

Gallagher, tough little guy to knock off his skates! Not this year, but soon!

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 11:54 PM
Andy

Quote:
Yes, but in the first game with personnel approaching an NHL-type roster the Habs accomplished nothing.
And considering this is only one game...do you think it reasonable to pass judgement on the season that has yet to start based on this one game which still wasn't a full nhl lineup?

The habs accomplished nothing in a pre-season game with a 75% full nhl roster. One pre-season.

Just think about how ridiculous it sounds to complain about the season that has yet to start based on

a. One game in pre-season
b. composed of 75% of the roster
c. starting the back up goalie

any predictions about the season that is to come based on this one game is just ridiculous.

And this doesn't mean that I'm one the "loves everything management does"...I'm in the..."how about we stop acting like the sky is falling and actually wait until the regular season starts with a full nhl lineup" camp.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 12:10 AM
TheHabMan43
You'd Better RUN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Petrov View Post
Salo's fine, just lacking some "balls"
Oh, come on now that's hitting below the belt!

Too soon?

TheHabMan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 12:19 AM
giovannicanella

Key factors that I expect will erradicate the crickets...

- Markov's return will DYNAMICALLY and positively help us in a huge capacity...this key point can not be overstressed
-Pacioretty is up there with Price/Subban in terms of quality he will do well for us, breakout season.
-Cole was a huge addition for us, NO ONE should underestimate how important his addition was...
-The preseason is by no means ANY indication of the full potential of this squad...With Price, Marky...the elements mentioned above there is a lot of promise, We still have yet to play with our full healthy squad with our best players
-Do not forget the progression and FULL healthy return of both Desharnais and Eller

giovannicanella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 12:21 AM
Pandemic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
Budaj is brutal... lucky to have allowed just four that count, because Lceavalier and Tom ****ing Pyatt's goal should have counted.

Kostitsyn was total crap today and he alone was resonsible for Stamko's first goal, hell, they should have given him an assist on the play.

Desharnais can be placed in front of his own goalie with a gentle shove... he's that small.

Georges is an iron horse!

Gomez is the Gomez of last year.

Yemelin was punishing in the third, a sign he is getting comfortable on NA ice?

Blunden should be on the team!

Enqvist... wait, did he play tonight?

Subban ....ok, I want to know what he was saying to Lecavalier because that was pretty funny! And good for him, smackin' Stamko's in the gob after getting the same done to him.

Markov... we need you!!!

Gallagher, tough little guy to knock off his skates! Not this year, but soon!
I like a lot about this post.

Pandemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 12:54 AM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

vCash: 50
I liked how gomez played. He and his linemates just couldnt cash. He looked dangerous for much of the night and was going to the net and making some smart passed. Why all the negativity about his game?

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 01:29 AM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
You dont want to over-analyze a pre season game but given that the habs were 1-5, and with the pre season winding down and having an almost complete lineup, I think we should take a few points away from this game.

First of all, there's alot of uncharacteristic defensive zone turnovers. Pre season or not, JM wont be pleased about that. You are getting to the point where the team should be close to form. The defense does look a little confused back there, not that the forwards have been helping too much. Budaj needs to be better as well... I dont know if he has a light swtich where he can just turn it on, but if he remains like this, he's no better than auld, and I've been skeptical about this signing from the very beginning.

Offensively, I'm not too worried. The team is creating chances, and on a regular day, they would have at least 3 goals tonight.

At this point, I wouldnt say I'm jumping off the bridge, but from a team defense point of view, my eyebrows are getting raised a little bit.
Pretty much. Been skeptical about the defensive corps with all the question marks surrounding it. Loss of Hamrlik and Wiz combined can only be off-setted by having Markov back and that's not likely to come anytime soon.

Still, the lightning have quality offensive forwards and we iced a backup behind a weaker D. Hopefully, having Price and a more potent offense would yield a better results than what we saw tonight.

S'all gravy when the general gets back.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 01:34 AM
Koivu2001

vCash: 350
p
r
e
s
e
a
s
o
n

Koivu2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 05:43 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

The third period was the first preseason action I got to watch. Not too impressed to say the least.

Habs won 42 % of their faceoffs. This hasn't been addressed with the departure of Halpern.

The Habs lack another top four d-man to compensate for Markov or Subban injuries. I feel sorry for Subban because with Markov missing he'll be asked to carry the offensive load. Campoli is a nice addition but the Habs are also missing that "babysitting" type two way d-man they've had the last four years.

I didn't understand the backup goalie change. Never thought it was an area that cost Habs games last year. If the reports are true that Budaj is weak between the ears then I'm sure he felt quite welcomed and relieved with the game ending boos. Auld never seemed too fazed by anything and given his sporadic playing time I thought he did a good job.

Nothing really impressed me last night except Diaz maybe. Desharnais is nothing better than a third line center. He struggled last year when he was moved up. Gill and his "elite" long reach didn't work there on Connolly's goal. Yemelin threw some hits but there wasn't much there to deter the Lightning.

And for a team down by three in the third there was little offensive pressure. Way to pack it in boys.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 05:45 AM
HabsDood

Quote:
Youpi has more value to us than Slostitsyn..

He had a good shift in the 3rd though..

HabsDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 05:51 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

so, from what I've read in this thread, we're not winning the pre-season cup, right ?

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 05:53 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Desharnais can't handle center duties. He lost defensive puck battles all night, turned over the puck in his own zone many times and just got manhandeled by the opposing team. He was on the ice for 3 goals and 1 disallowed(lecavalier's). Other than his line the game was pretty even.

The habs missed several chances...too many chances, plus two posts.
Not sure this is 100% accurate. He can't handle center duties against other teams number 1 line, no doubt about it, but DD will not get ripped apart like that against other teams 3rd/4th lines. He's more than capable, I agree I prefer him on the wing, but this game alone doesn't suggest DD can't play center on a good team. JM wanted to test him and see if he could roll all 3 lines out at anytime, he can't, and will match up the lines appropriately in real games.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 06:01 AM
HabsDood

Quote:
Au sujet de Yemelin, l'entraîneur a rappelé qu'il a besoin de temps avant de s'adapter à son nouvel environnement, tant sur la glace qu'à l'extérieur.

«Nous apprécions certains aspects de son jeu. Il a joué dans une ligue professionnelle et il doit s'adapter à de nouvelles surfaces de jeu et à de nouveaux coéquipiers. Nous devons continuer de travailler avec lui.»

Yemelin will stick around, bootk it!

HabsDood is offline   Reply With Quote