HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Pack line seemingly being kept together

Closed Thread

Old
09-29-2011, 09:21 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbaby View Post
I believe you have this backwards. And Dubi and Cally would tell you so. Many times in interviews and articles last year, they credited their line's success,... due to the play of AA in the middle. How he has gotten much stronger than the previous year. Dubi and Cally's career best season, was a direct result of AA centering them. There is no "pack line' without Artem Anisimov in the middle.

I couldn't agree more. And I have said, Tort's would have to be nuts to break up the one line that worked last year. We have enough LW'ers to rotate in that top spot without having to break up the pack line. IMHO, anyone can play with Gabby and Richards. Hell, I'll bet even Hank would do well on that LW. But seriously, lets give Wolski a shot. He had 65 pts one year removed. 65 pts would have led all Rangers in scoring last year. He deserves a shot. Then maybe Rupp and Avery getting a shift here and there.

I have even went as far as saying the Pack line could be considered our top line, considering the minutes played last year. But that might be a stretch with Richards here now. Richards been averaging 21 minutes the last 3 seasons. And Gabby averaged 21 minutes in his first year here. So in rethinking, they will most likely get the most minutes with the pack line not far behind with maybe 18 a game.
I have it backwards? Then how come dubi and cally produced with any line they were put on and Anisimov goes invisible for games at a time when he wasn't with the pack line. Dubi and cally giving props to a teammate and deflecting praise to their buddy doesn't mean Anisimov is really the key to that line. There's no doubt the three of them all played off of eachother and were a very good line for 40-50 games. But it was ... only... 40-50 games. And Dubinsky and Callahan are the KEYS to that lines success no matter what they or anyone says. Watch the games.

I was never saying hey let's break them up but I'm so sick of the notion that Tortorella is nuts if he even considers breaking them up!! If he finds better combinations for the team to win games, which with the depth this team has now is highly likely, then I really couldn't care less about who plays with who. Dubinsky is likely the best option for the LW on the Richards line and I'd rather have a complete first line than a 2/3 complete first line and a complete second line. Furthermore, we have a number of guys (Boyle, Fedotenko, Zuccarello, Wolski, even Avery) who could be a great fit with Anisimov and Callahan if and when Dubinsky lines up opposite Gaborik.
Stop the nonsense. Can't wait for this season to start.

Old
09-29-2011, 09:22 PM
Zats Muccarello
Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
In a perfect world (too bad about that, eh?) we have the potential to see:

Richards - 75 points
Gaborik - 70 points
Wolski - 50 points
Dubinsky - 55 points
Anisimov - 50 points
Callahan - 50 points
Stepan - 45 points
Zuccarello - 40 points

Which is... a whole lotta points. By no means do I expect to have this happen, but it's not as if we don't have secondary scoring anymore. Some of these guys will still continue to improve and guys like Kreider, Miller, Thomas, etc. will join the squad eventually.
Other than Wolski this is possible

Old
09-30-2011, 04:39 AM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

so who is really going to be on that top line then. Dubi or Wolski..

Old
09-30-2011, 06:07 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasLEAF View Post
so who is really going to be on that top line then. Dubi or Wolski..
Probably Wolski if the PACK line is staying together.

I'm sure Dubinsky will get a shot, though.

Old
10-03-2011, 08:44 PM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
I have it backwards? Then how come dubi and cally produced with any line they were put on and Anisimov goes invisible for games at a time when he wasn't with the pack line. Dubi and cally giving props to a teammate and deflecting praise to their buddy doesn't mean Anisimov is really the key to that line. There's no doubt the three of them all played off of eachother and were a very good line for 40-50 games. But it was ... only... 40-50 games. And Dubinsky and Callahan are the KEYS to that lines success no matter what they or anyone says. Watch the games.

I was never saying hey let's break them up but I'm so sick of the notion that Tortorella is nuts if he even considers breaking them up!! If he finds better combinations for the team to win games, which with the depth this team has now is highly likely, then I really couldn't care less about who plays with who. Dubinsky is likely the best option for the LW on the Richards line and I'd rather have a complete first line than a 2/3 complete first line and a complete second line. Furthermore, we have a number of guys (Boyle, Fedotenko, Zuccarello, Wolski, even Avery) who could be a great fit with Anisimov and Callahan if and when Dubinsky lines up opposite Gaborik.
Stop the nonsense. Can't wait for this season to start.
Watching the games is how I came to my opinion. Dubi n Cally have played together long before the NHL. Which is why they do well even on the PK, or 4 on 4. But Artie has allowed them even more success due to his defensive awareness and keeping plays alive. And Cally only played 60 games so if they were together for 40 of 50, you could say he had alot to do with their best seasons.

When the pack line started slumping Torts broke them up. But he never found a better line combo. So if, as you say, they had success with anyone, then why did Torts put them back together?

Plus in interviews Cally could have said Dubi is a monster, or Dubi could have said Cally is a train wreak, but no,... they both credit AA. You have to keep in mind that Dubi n Cally have been linemates even before the NHL, so they know when their line is clicking and why.

Artem Anisimov will not go under appreciated this year, as he will grow even stronger than say Dubi or Cally will grow.

If this camp is any indication of the upcomming season, (3 goals in 3 games) you'll see Arite was instrumental in that lines success last year. And Dubi n Cally will benefit from it again this year even more so as AA gets even stronger. He is a very unselfish player.

I'm not saying Dubi n Cally are not great in what they do. Cause to me they are even better than AA. It's just that Artie gives them the confidence to go in deep and mix it up, knowing that Artie has got their back.

It's just silly to break up this line. But with Torts it will happen again, I'm sure. But more than likely they will be put back together, because they click like no other line we have had in years.

Last edited by ohbaby: 10-03-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old
10-03-2011, 10:24 PM
IAMREALITY

Ya know, funny thing...

But last year out of all the friggin people that Torts tried out on the top line, there was only ONE that I remember feeling as though there was chemistry and the only one that I remember being even at all excited about, if not at times giddy. Guess the person.

Wonder if you answered the same, but for me that person was Avery. I loved the way he looked in that role last year from the few games he had the opportunity. Sean just comes alive when he's in a top 6 spot. And in my opinion, if you want to get the most out of Sean and possibly even Richards and Gaborik, you put him in that spot. Just amazing that no one's talking about him in that role when it seems like he'd be one of the most sensible.

Old
10-03-2011, 10:30 PM
NickyFotiu

I think AA is going to have a strong year. I think Dubi may be on that first line at times as well as on the "pack" line. WW may play with Steps and Zooks at times as well.

Old
10-03-2011, 10:38 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMREALITY View Post
Ya know, funny thing...

But last year out of all the friggin people that Torts tried out on the top line, there was only ONE that I remember feeling as though there was chemistry and the only one that I remember being even at all excited about, if not at times giddy. Guess the person.

Wonder if you answered the same, but for me that person was Avery. I loved the way he looked in that role last year from the few games he had the opportunity. Sean just comes alive when he's in a top 6 spot. And in my opinion, if you want to get the most out of Sean and possibly even Richards and Gaborik, you put him in that spot. Just amazing that no one's talking about him in that role when it seems like he'd be one of the most sensible.
He had it for one game and the line dominated. The next game he was called for a BS penalty 5 minutes or so into the first period and was benched and never placed back on the line.

That's how Torts works when it comes to Avery. It's just how it is.

Old
10-03-2011, 10:58 PM
ohbaby

I have said along with others, Avery would do well on that first line. I feel Rupp would also play well there. They both have the same style. Even Boyle to a lesser extent. All are strong on the puck.

But in reality it's Wolski's spot to lose. With the pack line intact.

Old
10-05-2011, 06:55 AM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Pack line seemingly not being kept together.

Torts says Brandon Dubinsky will start on left wing with Brad Richards and Marian Gaborik on Friday "start game this way, see where it goes"
via Jim Cernny's twitter

I say good. Dubi should kill up on that top line. Hopefully W2 gets a shot with Anisimov-Cally, I think that work ethic of those two can rub off on him and he brings high end skill to that line.

Cerny says rest of the lines look like this though:
Feds-Anisimov-Cally
Wolski-Stepan-Zuc
Rupp-Boyle-Prust

Old
10-05-2011, 09:01 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
And what happens when and if Dubi does not click on that line?

Wolski-Stepan-Zucc has never been a good 2 way line

Old
10-05-2011, 07:08 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
By moving Dubinsky to that top line it tell me two things:

Firstly it says that Tortarella wants to make sure Richards and Gabby get off to a good start.

Secondly, it shows his confidence in Anisimov as a breakout player this year.

Old
10-05-2011, 07:54 PM
SouthJerseyRanger

Disappointing that Wolski couldn't seize the day, so to speak.

Dubinsky - Richards - Gaborik could and should be a very good top line. I'm sure Torts will do his usual line shuffling. Maybe we will eventually see Boyle up there as the LW1.

Old
05-24-2012, 09:09 AM
jskramer83

vCash: 800
Some how came across this, wow were most of us soooo off with our preseason predictions.

Old
05-24-2012, 09:58 AM
SERE 24
LGR

I think most will disagree, since Dubi has been a whipping boy all season long, but did anyone else feel like Dubi's return to the lineup got Cally going last night? In the past few years, they've been like our little home grown dynamic duo. Callahan had definitely been off his game until last night and it looked like the pack line was together early in the game and Cally finally came out flying, looking like his usual self.

Old
05-24-2012, 10:06 AM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
I think most will disagree, since Dubi has been a whipping boy all season long, but did anyone else feel like Dubi's return to the lineup got Cally going last night? In the past few years, they've been like our little home grown dynamic duo. Callahan had definitely been off his game until last night and it looked like the pack line was together early in the game and Cally finally came out flying, looking like his usual self.
Dubi and Cally usually play well together, whether on the PK or at even strength. I think it definitely helped Cally to play with some linemates that he's had familiarity with in the past. Callahan didn't show much chemistry with Stepan and Kreider, and he looked hesitant with them. Last night he was able to break free and it seemed like he had confidence in both his linemates and himself.

Also, Anisimov looks more comfortable at center than at wing. He really should be utilized as a center going forward if they want to get the most out of him.

Old
05-24-2012, 10:12 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Dubinsky has his own thread going right now. There's a thread for Callahan, too, as idiotic as it may be. Discuss their performances in their respective threads or in the PGT.

Closed Thread