HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

*crickets* -_______-

Old
09-30-2011, 06:08 AM
akratique

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
so, from what I've read in this thread, we're not winning the pre-season cup, right ?
This board is in mid-season form, even if the Habs aren't.

akratique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 07:00 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsDood View Post
Yemelin will stick around, bootk it!
If the Habs let him walk they seriously need their heads examined. He hasn't been great so far but shown flashes of being a good top 4 NHL guy. As JM said he is still adapting to NA and teammates etc but he is more than adequate as #5-6 to start.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 07:03 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

People are sooo quick to panic...i could have told you we would struggle in preseason...lots of our NHL and AHL players missed significant time(Nash LeBlanc Markov Moen White Eller etc) plus we played more rookies than most teams because we didn't play in the rookie tournaments instead playing those guys against NHL teams.

Last night was really the first game with our regular lineup or close to it while TB seemed in regular season form. We have a week and another exhibition to work on systems and timing.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 07:06 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Budaj needs some work at the moment, i find he is going down to quickly.
It was really the first game that everyone was playing together.
Do any of you think honestly that the same team but a little better with the addition of Cole will not be better than last year ?
I personally am not worried. The only people that seem worried are the bandwagon type fans. The true Habs fans know better.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 07:12 AM
HabsDood

Budaj is verry weak.. He's a pro, never impressed me and this is what we see, a guy that has a bad rep playing here, Habsland, and people think it's because he ain't ready? The guy is bad, period, it's an insult to us, die hard fans.. Not his fault though.. He's just Budaj, tha Budaj.. Wonder why they went with him, might as well just go with the farm.. Lawson would be better, can't be as bad, i'd say..

HabsDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 08:17 AM
Protest the Hero

Something I noticed(or at least it seemed that way). All of Yemelin's big hits were thrown on the left side of the ice. I really think he's more comfortable cutting guys off with hits/hipchecks while going to his left than his right.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 08:24 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
He was ready in the 1st. Strangely, wasn't ready in the 2nd and 3rd. Sorry but for me, that's BS. Is AKost ready? Is Emelin ready? Is Diaz ready? I can name you 10 guys right now that doesn't seem NHL ready....Is Creampuff Engqvist ready?

So Gallagher will go back in Vancouver expecting to score 100 goals in 50 games. How's that going to mature his game? Maybe a Team Canada performance would? Let's hope he gets pick 'cause that's not a gimme, though with the numerous guys that will stick in the NHL, he has more chance to do so. Yet, it's still not a gimme.

I can tell you that Gallagher would be ready for a lot of teams. So it's not about Gallagher not being ready. It's about us having to play our "contracts". But I'm just frustrated to see how we're expecting our rookies and young players to be mistake free while most if not ALL our vets aren't.....Reason why we lost a few guys in the past years that finally ended up playing well while they have the confidence they needed.
You remember Max Pacioretty right? Guillaume Latendresse? Two cases of players, rookies, who impressed at a young age in their first professional pre-season camp with the team. They provided offence. Spark. Physicality. They made us drool over the prospect of what they could bring to the team.

They both made the team.

They both received ice-time on the bottom lines. Their offence suffered. Their development suffered and it was not until Pacioretty spent a long time in the AHL re-developing his scoring touch, did he become a viable NHL player again. It was not until Latendresse was traded did he get what he had to do to be effective as a scorer in the NHL.

Gallagher provided offence but no real results. He provided spark and for a little guy, he provided physicality and strength. However, now he has to go back to junior and put up stellar offensive numbers. Play in a big game tournament. He has to go back with the mind set of WHAT did not work against NHL defenceman and maybe instead of exploiting the weakness of many non NHL quality juniors, play the game at an NHL level and do what he needs to do to be successful.

There is NO reason to rush him. He will not be an offensive scoring sensation this season in the NHL. Hell, he wasn't even one in the pre-season. He showed us fire and his potential but now we will cultivate him properly instead of risking doing what we did with Patches and Gui.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 08:32 AM
zzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
You remember Max Pacioretty right? Guillaume Latendresse? Two cases of players, rookies, who impressed at a young age in their first professional pre-season camp with the team. They provided offence. Spark. Physicality. They made us drool over the prospect of what they could bring to the team.

They both made the team.
May I add Carey Price too ? At a certain point, did we all ask if it's better if Price spend one year in AHL ?

Being said that, I'd like to see Gallagher stayed with Habs.

zzoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 08:35 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsDood View Post
Budaj is verry weak.. He's a pro, never impressed me and this is what we see, a guy that has a bad rep playing here, Habsland, and people think it's because he ain't ready? The guy is bad, period, it's an insult to us, die hard fans.. Not his fault though.. He's just Budaj, tha Budaj.. Wonder why they went with him, might as well just go with the farm.. Lawson would be better, can't be as bad, i'd say..
He was good against Buffalo last week but I must admit his last couple of starts having been that great. Then again last year Alex Auld was terrible during pre season and ended up playing quite well during the regular season. I will give Budaj a chance

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 08:42 AM
Gainey#1*

Hey guys,

I missed the 2nd/3rd period last night.

How did Yemelin look?

Gainey#1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 08:43 AM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

I thought the team showed flashes, but Kostityn made a lousy play on the puck along the boards adn then couldn't find the sense of urgengy (suprise suprise) to lock up the player on the first goal.

I can't wait until this clown is off the team, the soon the better PG!

On the second goal DD gets pushed right in front of Budaj who can't see the perfect shot from Stamkos. I doubt he would have saved it anyway.

On the positive side, I think Campoli played very well, but the main issue with our D is that we are just not physical enough to push opposing forwards off the puck in our own zone.

I have a feeling we are in real trouble this year inside our zone...need a BIG defensive forward and hulking Dman.

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 08:50 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
I thought the team showed flashes, but Kostityn made a lousy play on the puck along the boards adn then couldn't find the sense of urgengy (suprise suprise) to lock up the player on the first goal.

On the second goal DD gets pushed right in front of Budaj who can't see the perfect shot from Stamkos. I doubt he would have saved it anyway.

On the positive side, I think Campoli played very well, but the main issue with our D is that we are just not physical enough to push opposing forwards off the puck in our own zone.

I have a feeling we are in real trouble this year inside our zone...need a BIG defensive forward and hulking Dman.
We didn't have any last year and it didn't prevent us from winning or battling with Boston for the division lead until Pacioretty got hurt.

I think you should be concerned less about physicality and concerned more about the fact they we are still missing another minute-eating defensemen.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 08:50 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
Budaj is brutal... lucky to have allowed just four that count, because Lceavalier and Tom ****ing Pyatt's goal should have counted.

Kostitsyn was total crap today and he alone was resonsible for Stamko's first goal, hell, they should have given him an assist on the play.

Desharnais can be placed in front of his own goalie with a gentle shove... he's that small.

Georges is an iron horse!

Gomez is the Gomez of last year.

Yemelin was punishing in the third, a sign he is getting comfortable on NA ice?

Blunden should be on the team!

Enqvist... wait, did he play tonight?

Subban ....ok, I want to know what he was saying to Lecavalier because that was pretty funny! And good for him, smackin' Stamko's in the gob after getting the same done to him.

Markov... we need you!!!

Gallagher, tough little guy to knock off his skates! Not this year, but soon!
Nonsensical one liners with no follow-up.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 08:53 AM
AraGOHABSGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post

That's funny... A.K was on one side, he had a guy comming on him... So what can he do? Make a stick pass? meh, There is a law that says, NEVER PASS THE PUCK IN FRONT OF THE NET! So he did the smart and safe thing to pass it on the boards... but the D was not paying attention at all... if he was, he must of stayed next to the boards.... not in the middle of the zone where he is useless.... As Subban was already there...

AraGOHABSGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 09:05 AM
Andy

The first goal was both AKs and Yemelins fault. Ak made a terribly inaccuate pass and Yemelin wasn't paying attention.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 09:09 AM
zzoo

" Trailing 3-0, the Canadiens had two shots on Dwayne Roloson (who turns 42 in 11 days) in the third period"

Is it true ? 2 shots in a period ?

zzoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 09:12 AM
Gainey#1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
The first goal was both AKs and Yemelins fault. Ak made a terribly inaccuate pass and Yemelin wasn't paying attention.
I saw the first period, and Yemelin couldn't do much. He was in front of the net and AK fired the puck around the boards to no one. How was Yemelin supposed to make up 30 feet of ice?

Gainey#1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 09:12 AM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
" Trailing 3-0, the Canadiens had two shots on Dwayne Roloson (who turns 42 in 11 days) in the third period"

Is it true ? 2 shots in a period ?
Yes, shots were 12-2 in the third.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 09:26 AM
PricePkPatch

Okay. I didn't watch the game, but people are throwing Desharnais under the bus after ONE game?

ONE bad game? When he was sent against the Bolts' top line, probably one of the biggest and toughest in the East?

Relax.. DD proved solid on more occasion than he proved to be a weakling. He knows better than anyone how much he sucked last night, and I won't be surprised if he bounce back on Saturday. He's a tough little warrior

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 09:27 AM
MarkovsKnee

After last night's game, I'm actually not that worried about the regular season because we are playing these exhibition games with very little effort. Seriously. It's complete crap.

I am worried about injuries this year because if this exhibition season has showed anything it's that we have very little depth in the minor league system. Our junior depth is solid with Gallagher, Bournival, Beaulieu, Tinordi, etc., but outside of Dumont, there is no one with an NHL contract on the Bulldogs who has really impressed me.

Trotter and Palushaj have been huge disappointments to say the least. Basically, we better hope Leblanc can get healthy and play well enough to be a mid-season call-up when injuries start to hit, because Trotter is terrible defensively and Palushaj lacks size and drive.

Last year, we called up Pacioretty and Desharnais and both stuck with the team and contributed greatly. That's not happening this year with this unimpressive bunch.

OTOH, I do believe we have better NHL depth this year.

Cammy - Pleks - Cole
Patches - Gomez - Gio
DD - Eller - Kostitsyn
Moen - Enqvist - Darche/White

That's a solid NHL line-up at forward, but if we have to depend on the Bulldogs for call-ups this year we are going to run into trouble.
It's even worse on D.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 09:31 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Okay. I didn't watch the game, but people are throwing Desharnais under the bus after ONE game?
Not throwing him under the bus, just understanding his limitations. DD just isn't a top-6 center at this stage, which is not news to many people following this thread, but this was a good illustration.

Quote:
ONE bad game? When he was sent against the Bolts' top line, probably one of the biggest and toughest in the East?
Looking at the shift chart, turns out he wasn't -- rather, they had about three minutes of leftover matchup time with the Stamkos line and the Bolts managed to score three times in that span. Some of that is bad luck, but that's also not a desirable matchup.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 09:36 AM
canadiens1992

Anybody already missing Hamrlik?

canadiens1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekamaniac View Post
Hey guys,

I missed the 2nd/3rd period last night.

How did Yemelin look?
I thought Yemelin struggled a bit in the 1st period, had a really good 2nd period and an 'ok' 3rd period.

Regardless, I like what i've seen from Yemelin so far...the tools are all there, skating, size, hockey sense. He's got it all, but you can see he's hesitant in a lot of situations and takes the wrong angles at times. I think communication and adjusting to a smaller ice surface are his biggest issues right now. But thankfully, unlike many fans and analyst, the coaching staff will continue to work with him...

I definetely see a guy who when he's got a bit more experience, can morph in a top 4 dman...Looking at him I see a bit of Nicklas Kronwall in him (just talking in terms of style), but as I said, he needs some more polish before he even approaches that level.

But I personally love his skill set...he's much more smooth with the puck than I imagined.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 09:40 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Not throwing him under the bus, just understanding his limitations. DD just isn't a top-6 center at this stage, which is not news to many people following this thread, but this was a good illustration.

Looking at the shift chart, turns out he wasn't -- rather, they had about three minutes of leftover matchup time with the Stamkos line and the Bolts managed to score three times in that span. Some of that is bad luck, but that's also not a desirable matchup.
Thanks for the clear up. He might not be a valid top 6 centre against larger opposition because of his inability to support the defense deep south, but he didn't seemed out of place against Buffalo on the top line.

Otherwise, I think he just had a bad night. It happens, and I do believe he's the one who is the most angry at yesterday's performance. The man is a warrior, he never let defeat bring him down.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 09:45 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Thanks for the clear up. He might not be a valid top 6 centre against larger opposition because of his inability to support the defense deep south, but he didn't seemed out of place against Buffalo on the top line.
I disagree. Or rather, I'll hedge -- he didn't seem out of place and even looked good, so long as the puck was in the offensive zone.

As soon as the Sabres got possession, however, DD became invisible and you wouldn't hear his name spoken again -- because the Sabres would maintain possession in the Habs' zone and DD just could not get the puck back.

Unlike Tampa, Buffalo didn't score, but I thought that game a perfect illustration of why DD is aces on the PP but can't match up against top-6ers at evens. He's got great offensive awareness and fantastic puck skills, but his defensive abilities just aren't there yet.

This isn't a knock on DD's spot with the team -- he'll slaughter fourth-liners and several third lines. But it explains why he's fourth on the Habs' C depth chart, not second as some would have you believe.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote