HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal Canadiens May Be Named In ‘Hurt Locker' Suit

Closed Thread

Old
09-30-2011, 05:03 AM
jerrywally23*

vCash: 500
Montreal Canadiens May Be Named In ‘Hurt Locker' Suit

First of All I want to say that I come in peace, I saw this on the Bruins Board and thought you Habs Fans might want to know about it. personally I don't see how a US court can order the ISP to give out names and address. The Canadian Privacy act, doesn't allow the ISP's (Internet Service Providers) to release the names of the IP address unless a Canadian Court orders them to. A US judge has no jurisdiction in Canada. any lawyer should be able to have the IP address evidence thrown out since it was obtained illegally.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2011/09..._n_986353.html

Old
09-30-2011, 05:06 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

I order the US Court to kiss my butt. They have about as much jurisdiction over me as Gondor does.

Old
09-30-2011, 05:40 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Unless I read it wrong, nowhere it says it was it's a US court that is forcing the Corps to give out names.

Actually, based on this link, it would be the Federal court of -> Canada
http://www.canlii.org/fr/ca/cfpi/doc...011cf1024.html

Old
09-30-2011, 05:56 AM
HabsDood

To those who understands this topic, what is it about?

Old
09-30-2011, 06:04 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsDood View Post
To those who understands this topic, what is it about?

Its probably just some low level doofus downloaded the movie and the movie company has thier panties in a twist about it.....

Old
09-30-2011, 06:09 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

I would like to add that that movie sucks.

Old
09-30-2011, 07:43 AM
Coldplay
Courage

So someone (or a few people) decided to leech off bandwidth at work (like many others do) and now the entire organization is getting implicated?

Didn't like The Hurt Locker, all this legal BS they've been pushing is pretty much guaranteeing I'll never watch it again or recommend it to anyone.

Old
09-30-2011, 08:07 AM
LeHab

Habs have DEEP pockets, I highly doubt anyone will dare taking on the team even if the potential payout is big. Those lawsuits rely on the fact that normal people dont have the resources to fight lengthy battles in court.

Old
09-30-2011, 08:50 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

This won't go anywhere. The Arena has free Wifi...It literally could have been anybody.

waffledave
Old
09-30-2011, 09:26 AM
neofury*

This lawsuit will never work and I'll give various reasons why. (referring to the class action not just specifically the habs)

1) Canada
2) Like photo radar... can't prove who was driving. IP can't prove who was downloading. A fine is one thing but jail time or even a serious charge of any kind is very unlikely.
3) The mere fact now that a judge who rules on this will also have to rule against the Montreal Canadiens if he does choose to decide that the party who pays for the line is liable... no judge or court in Canada is going to want to touch that with a 10 foot pole.

It's simply biting off the hand that feeds really. I highly doubt anyone gets ****ed over cause of Hurt Locker. Doubt they even lose their internet access.

Quote:
Originally Posted by persh View Post
Habs have DEEP pockets, I highly doubt anyone will dare taking on the team even if the potential payout is big. Those lawsuits rely on the fact that normal people dont have the resources to fight lengthy battles in court.
Exactly and the fact that they are now being lumped into this lawsuit, they have to be consistent and everyone will just say "my internet wifi was hacked".

Old
09-30-2011, 09:56 AM
Moen in Glory
Sidebar is coming

Old
09-30-2011, 09:59 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moen in Glory View Post
Bwahahaha ! Nice one MIG !

Old
09-30-2011, 11:11 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Let's not turn this into a discussion on the merits of The Hurt Locker or other movies released in that year. There's a whole other board to talk about movies if you wish to do so.

Old
09-30-2011, 11:20 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

LOL Mig!

Also, this just way for getting more publicity and fear out in the public about the "wrongness" of downloading movies "illegal" (its not wrong and not illegal, just in case you dint get the quotations); getting major candian sports entertainment icon in the news, should scare a few people away from downloading movies/music. Which is all they wanna do and can do.
IMO!

Old
09-30-2011, 11:39 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Let's not turn this into a discussion on the merits of The Hurt Locker or other movies released in that year. There's a whole other board to talk about movies if you wish to do so.
Agreed. Since Inglorious Basterds sucked anyways it's a moot point

Seriously though this lawsuit is never going to fly.

Old
09-30-2011, 11:52 AM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Agreed. Since Inglorious Basterds sucked anyways it's a moot point

Seriously though this lawsuit is never going to fly.
and who cares if it doesn't. Doesn't affect the team on the ice in any way.

Old
09-30-2011, 12:04 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
and who cares if it doesn't. Doesn't affect the team on the ice in any way.
Depends, if they can manage to sue the team into bankruptcy then yes it would affect the team. Odds are slim to nil though thankfully.

Old
09-30-2011, 12:08 PM
Estimated_Prophet

These file sharing cases have an intention of intimidating the public from sharing files. It is almost impossible to prove anything if the accused has half a clue.

Typical Fat Cat tactics

Old
09-30-2011, 12:10 PM

I have downloaded movies/software/tv series/games/songs/etc worth thousands of dollars. One of them was The Hurt Locker. Come at me anti-piracy organizations ******s.

Old
09-30-2011, 12:12 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrywally23 View Post
First of All I want to say that I come in peace, I saw this on the Bruins Board and thought you Habs Fans might want to know about it. personally I don't see how a US court can order the ISP to give out names and address. The Canadian Privacy act, doesn't allow the ISP's (Internet Service Providers) to release the names of the IP address unless a Canadian Court orders them to. A US judge has no jurisdiction in Canada. any lawyer should be able to have the IP address evidence thrown out since it was obtained illegally.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2011/09..._n_986353.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
This lawsuit will never work and I'll give various reasons why. (referring to the class action not just specifically the habs)

1) Canada
2) Like photo radar... can't prove who was driving. IP can't prove who was downloading. A fine is one thing but jail time or even a serious charge of any kind is very unlikely.
3) The mere fact now that a judge who rules on this will also have to rule against the Montreal Canadiens if he does choose to decide that the party who pays for the line is liable... no judge or court in Canada is going to want to touch that with a 10 foot pole.

It's simply biting off the hand that feeds really. I highly doubt anyone gets ****ed over cause of Hurt Locker. Doubt they even lose their internet access.

Exactly and the fact that they are now being lumped into this lawsuit, they have to be consistent and everyone will just say "my internet wifi was hacked".
In the first place this is civil litigation, not criminal proceedings , there are different burdens of proof and evidentiary rules. If there was harm caused against the copyright holder and it can be proven it was downloaded from a network owned by the Canadiens well that places some level of responsibility on the Canadiens. How much responsibility will be determined by a court if it comes to that but I doubt it will.

If you're thinking of using PIPEDA as a shield or lying about a hacker intrusion that's an even costlier road to take and more damaging to the company reputation.

Old
09-30-2011, 03:33 PM
JSBach

When it comes to situations like this, corporations are like little boys fighting over a lollipop they found on the ground. Get over it and move on with your life. You're not going to stop piracy and you're just proving more and more your insatiable greed.

Old
09-30-2011, 04:09 PM
kassian
Emelin's face plate

It's all about money nowadays.

If corporates find a hole in their system, which allows people to share stuff without having to pay for it, it's a big deal to them. These are money, money, moneyz not going in their pockets. As if our lives weren't expensive enough.

Anything for money, people.

Old
09-30-2011, 06:29 PM
Et le But

Darkest day in Habs history.

Old
09-30-2011, 07:59 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Haha you can't sue an IP address, you moronic pigs.

Old
09-30-2011, 09:28 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
What? Give me a break! Good luck with that...

Closed Thread