HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

PS #5 - 09.30.2011 | New York Rangers @ Frolunda Indians | 1:00 PM - MSG (HD)

Old
09-30-2011, 09:34 AM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Parlett!!!

Finally get to see more of him! Sleeper.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 09:46 AM
His Beardliness
#SireBabcock

vCash: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Ogrodnick View Post
Really Torts? Scratching the top two lines? For Henrik's homecoming? Of the 4 European teams, this is the only game that means something to one of your players Torts. Surprised he would do Henrik like that.
Now watch Joel scoring a hattrick on his bro. Hank will surely demand a trade, Roy style.

His Beardliness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 09:47 AM
Dr. Ogrodnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by His Beardliness View Post
Now watch Joel scoring a hattrick on his bro. Hank will surely demand a trade, Roy style.
I doubt it will get that far, but why risk creating tension when you could have easily had the tryout game yesterday? This is probably the one slightly meaningful preseason game to a few Rangers.

Dr. Ogrodnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 09:49 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
I doubt it will get that far, but why risk creating tension when you could have easily had the tryout game yesterday?
I imagine mostly starters will play the final 2 games, so this gives them the longest possible break.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 09:51 AM
Dr. Ogrodnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
I imagine mostly starters will play the final 2 games, so this gives them the longest possible break.
A tryout game Sunday gives them just as long a break.

Old
09-30-2011, 09:52 AM
Hanke
Tortsless Rangers

Hyped for MCI. If he plays good this weekend does he have a chance?

Hanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 09:54 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
A tryout game Sunday gives them just as long a break.
I suppose if we're to be truly cynical, Frolunda wants Hank to make a lot of saves in front of his home crowd.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 09:55 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangerSince05 View Post
Hyped for MCI. If he plays good this weekend does he have a chance?
Doubtful. What did Torts say the other day? "He has work to do, but this is a great experience for him." Something to that effect. Basically, they're bringing him along to help his development, but aren't considering him for a spot.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 09:59 AM
Pizza

What a great experience for these young guys. Lets see what they can do.

LGR!!!

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:01 AM
nyrleetch

Have always wanted to visit Sweden.

LGR!

nyrleetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:05 AM
Levitate

Yeah pretty sure this is the beginning of the end for Lundqvist as a Rangers. With Torts hanging him out to dry in front of his hometown crowd, Lundqvist is going to be pissed and embarrassed. We better hope Sather can find a way to get a good return outta this

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:23 AM
Dr. Ogrodnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Yeah pretty sure this is the beginning of the end for Lundqvist as a Rangers. With Torts hanging him out to dry in front of his hometown crowd, Lundqvist is going to be pissed and embarrassed. We better hope Sather can find a way to get a good return outta this
Typical HF response. All I'm am saying is that it might cause a little bit of tension of a relationship that hasn't always been rosy, and that was all totally avoidable.

Old
09-30-2011, 10:30 AM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
I didn't get to see yesterdays game, and won't get to see this one either.

How did they look? I heard Biron played great yesterday.

09-30-2011, 10:33 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
I didn't get to see yesterdays game, and won't get to see this one either.

How did they look? I heard Biron played great yesterday.
The game wasn't televised, so we don't really know. From the beat writers' tweets, it sounded like they started slowly but picked it up as the game went along. HC Sparta played very hard. And yeah, sounds like Biron was great.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:42 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nils2317 View Post

Two of these things are not like the others
When I see pictures like those, I really cherish cities and towns that keep the old city core intact. Older architecture is ten times as beautiful as the modern square block crap in glass they throw up everywhere, not to mention the concrete abominations from the 60s and 70s.

Also, I remember an article about people (NHL people, Globe people, etc) being pleased with these games being sold out in no time. This in regard to the half fiasco last year, when they chose the Columbus Blue Jackets and the San Jose Sharks to play. The games weren't even close to be sold out.

But I mean, wth did they expect? The Blue Jackets is perhaps one of the worst teams the NHL could possibly choose to play in Europe. The team is distinctively American, has no history, no interesting players and you can probably hear crickets if the team is ever mentioned by any Swedish hockey fan. Just no interest around the team whatsoever. And then they picked the San Jose Sharks, another west coast team. Sure they have Joe Thornton and Douglas Murray, but still quite little interest over here, for various reasons.

If they should go by a safe bet (apart from the original six), they should pick teams with as many Europeans as possible playing on the team and pick an eastern coast team, as those are more in the scope of European hockey fans. Teams usually playing 01:00 in the morning still has a remote chance of getting interest over here, but teams usually playing 04:00 in the morning? Those have Euro fans who didn't think their pick through.

It's a no brainer the New York Rangers start out in Europe so often (despite from arena renovations). They're easily one of the most popular teams. Any original six teams and you basically automatically sell out. Plus, I think it's pretty awesome for the team to experience various places together, in Europe.

Last edited by Chimp: 09-30-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:42 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

I really don't think Henrik is going to care all that much. It's still an exhibition and torts deliberately played Biron yesterday to let Hank play this one without playing him on back to back days.

What would the HF response be if torts played Richards and Gaborik and they both got injured in this game? Then you'd all ***** and moan about how he shouldn't have been trying to win a game for Hank and basing his decisions around some trivial exhibition game in henrik's home town. Just showing both sides of it. Torts doesn't have to base every decision on henke's preference. His job is to get this team ready for a long road trip. He did the right thing letting Henrik play this one. He doesn't owe anyone any further explanation.

Furthermore, we will probably still win this game and if we didn't Henrik would be upset that HE lost. He wouldn't be thinking WTF WHY DIDNT WE PLAY OUR TOP LINE AND SIGN GRETZKY FOR A DAY TO BEAT THESE GUYS. Henrik is excited and nervous to PLAY in this game and while he ALWAYS wants to win and hates losing ANY kind of game, comparing this to a Roy situation truly made me laugh. Come on guys. Some of you are in midseason form already, lol.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 11:00 AM
Dr. Ogrodnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
I really don't think Henrik is going to care all that much. It's still an exhibition and torts deliberately played Biron yesterday to let Hank play this one without playing him on back to back days.

What would the HF response be if torts played Richards and Gaborik and they both got injured in this game? Then you'd all ***** and moan about how he shouldn't have been trying to win a game for Hank and basing his decisions around some trivial exhibition game in henrik's home town. Just showing both sides of it. Torts doesn't have to base every decision on henke's preference. His job is to get this team ready for a long road trip. He did the right thing letting Henrik play this one. He doesn't owe anyone any further explanation.

Furthermore, we will probably still win this game and if we didn't Henrik would be upset that HE lost. He wouldn't be thinking WTF WHY DIDNT WE PLAY OUR TOP LINE AND SIGN GRETZKY FOR A DAY TO BEAT THESE GUYS. Henrik is excited and nervous to PLAY in this game and while he ALWAYS wants to win and hates losing ANY kind of game, comparing this to a Roy situation truly made me laugh. Come on guys. Some of you are in midseason form already, lol.

All I am saying is this is probably not just another preseason game for Henrik, it probably means something for him. If the Rangers go out and get shellacked with the 2 top lines plus scratched and the JV defense, he may not be totally happy with the decision. Does he have to be happy with every coaches decision? Of course not. Could the Rangers easily have used yesterday's or Sunday's game for the final try out game? Absolutely. Are there sometimes reprocussions for setting your goalie up for embarrassment? Yes, as the Roy situation indicates.

It's probably no big deal. But there is a small chance it can cause a rift, which is a silly risk on a preseason game where it could be avoided.

Old
09-30-2011, 11:02 AM
His Beardliness
#SireBabcock

vCash: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post

I'm happy it made you laugh, considering it was a joke.

It's just disappointing to not get to see the top lines until opening night, probably.

His Beardliness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 11:05 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Was going to take a nap only got 3 hours of sleep last night, will stay awake if I find a good stream

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 11:11 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Hey I am dying to see more of Richards right now, but you can't overanalyze every little thing in PRESEASON. Obviously this isn't just another preseason game for Hank but it's about playing in the game and enjoying the moment with friends and family there. It's not about starting your best lineup to desperately try to win. Henrik is going to have a great time and if we lose by 1 or 2, he'll get some playful ribbing from his former teammates and brother. That is the end of it. His focus is on winning the Stanley Cup in NY, not beating a non-NHL team in an exhibition. Yes he's going to play his best and we probably WILL win, but the result of this game takes a backseat to the experience and the sentimental importance for Henrik. This guy is a professional. If you seriously think he would harbor ill-feelings towards the coach if we lose this game, then you really haven't payed attention to Henrik's career.

Old
09-30-2011, 11:11 AM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Anybody know where I can watch this online?? I dont see it on atdhe

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 11:13 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giglio NYR15 View Post
Yeah I need to know also. I was hoping NHLnetwork would pick up the feed but it doesn't look like they will. I don't live in NY anymore so I'll let you know if I find a stream.

Old
09-30-2011, 11:15 AM
Jedda

Send a message via ICQ to Jedda Send a message via MSN to Jedda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giglio NYR15 View Post
In Sweden it will be online at http://svtplay.se/v/2551084/playexkl...ers_30_9_19_00 for free, but you would need a swedish IP for that. Not sure if you could get around it with a proxy or so though.

Jedda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 11:18 AM
Lumipanda

Send a message via MSN to Lumipanda Send a message via Skype™ to Lumipanda
SVT Play is streaming the game across the globe. Swedish announcers, but hey, at least it won't be shut down by someone.

Was visiting friends at Göteborg in January and one of them took me to Frölunda -game. The team stole my heart. NYRangers is my second favorite team from NHL, so this ought to be nice to watch. It's a shame they don't have full-lineup, especially considering the tickets apparently were 800 SEK (that's ~120 USD), so they are priced as same as the NHL premiere games...

I do love King Henry too though, so I think I'll hope for Rangers victory.

EDIT:
Quote:
In Sweden it will be online at http://svtplay.se/v/2551084/playexkl...ers_30_9_19_00 for free, but you would need a swedish IP for that. Not sure if you could get around it with a proxy or so though.
No need for proxy!

EDIT2: "Sändningen kan ses över hela världen." -- "The broadcast can be seen worldwide."

Lumipanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 11:20 AM
Chimp

Reading about the crowd atmosphere in the NYR vs Sparta Prague thread, it's no secret one of the things transatlantic players appreciate the most going overseas, is the crowd atmosphere.

I will also never, ever, ever understand the mentality of booing your own team, or specifically some player on your own team, which is even worse. You boo because you are disappointed. I'm pretty sure the players on the ice are even more disappointed than you are, they don't need to be informed about that things aren't looking well.

It's counterproductive. You suck out the energy of your own team and get them into negative thoughts, instead of boosting them with positive energy. It's simple psychology. I am 100% positive NYR would have better results, if they had more supportive fans. It's not hard being a supportive supporter when you're winning, it's being supportive when your team is losing. That's when you show true character and in that regard, I must say there are too many spoiled brats in MSG with bad attitude.

In Europe, playing at home is like constantly having an extra player on the ice. In New York, the team is consistently doing better on away ice, because the home fans are schizofrenic (supportive when winning, taunting when the team actually needs them) and like to bully some of their own players.

Let me tell you what happened during a SEL game I was watching recently. The score was 4-0 for the home team. You could barely talk with your friends, because it was so loud. This, a few games into the normal season. The away team quickly scored 2 goals in the 3rd period and the game could've had new life. But it didn't, because the home crowd straight out ignored the two goals scored. They continued chanting, singing and banging drums without even flinching. You barely even noticed there even was a goal on the ice. You couldn't even hear what the announcer said.

And you could see it in the home team, they didn't get nervous, they shrugged it off, because the home crowd shrugged it off. Shortly thereafter, the home team scored 5-2 and sealed the victory. That's how fans treat their team. Always supportive, because that creates a positive spiral.

I'm not saying European fans are better, I'm saying NYR fans should start supporting their team when they really need their support. If they actually like seeing them winning, that is.

Last edited by Chimp: 09-30-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote