HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Weekes No. 1 despite hot Lundqvist

Closed Thread

Old
10-17-2005, 05:59 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Weekes No. 1 despite hot Lundqvist

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=140096&hubname=nhl

Dont like this quote. ''Kevin Weekes is our No. 1 goaltender,'' Renney told New York reporters. ''He's our starter. He's hurt. Henrik Lundqvist will play goal until such time as Kevin is healthy and then we'll go back to our formula of how we intended in the first place, and tackle it from there.

''This is all new to Henrik,'' Renney added. ''We're talking about the long haul. We have a career to consider when you're talking about him. He has a lot to learn.''

Who cares, as long as he stops the puck. Who ever plays the best should be the number 1 goalie. Why come out and say that Weekes will be the number one goalie, now Lundqvist knows that he is now the backup, this is like saying that Malhotra will only be a 4th liner. Let the players play and win the battle for number one for themselves.

Old
10-17-2005, 06:06 PM
Balej20*

It gives Henke something to continue to work for though, he cant sit back now because he had one good game. I love what Renney is doing.

Old
10-17-2005, 06:12 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

I dont think Lundqvist cares right now. He had a great game the other night, the fans were CHANTING his name... a triple standing ovation.. .the number one star... took a lap around the garden, and hes got another game here at home, maybe 2, hes riding a high, and i really think hes enjoying it.I doubt that comment is going to phase him.. He knew the whole time what role he has on this team...
and ill tell you something else... WEEKES is gonna get better because of it.. its a healthy competition between the 2.. Weekes was the first one in the lockeroom high-fiving Henke when he returned from the ice the other night. This will push Weekes to become better also and thats good for the team... id rather have a "goaltender controversy" with a team thats winning and working hard (especially at home) than a losing one. I dont think this a big deal at all, its healthy.

Old
10-17-2005, 07:25 PM
ftyutin51

This, IMO, is a very smart move by Renney. Weekes is much more experienced in the NHL and (probably) knows all the pressure that's going to build as more games are being played and *if* we make the playoffs, then atleast we have a goalie who've been in the playoffs and knows how it feels. If we keep letting Lundqvist plays and say he loses a game or two, that will hurt his confidence because as of now, I don't think he really knows what 'losing' means in the NHL, he's only experienced good games w/ a good record so far and he is still a rookie adapting to a new style of hockey (though it seems like he has already adapted to the NHL, NYC and MSG). Once the Rangers stop skating and hustling, it's going to be up to Lundqvist to stop the puck and win games through high pressure. Besides, this is good competition for Weekes to really 'up' his game and prove that he can play a #1 starting position.

Old
10-17-2005, 09:10 PM
Edge

I think the Weekes high five is something I really want to see in my team.

Everyone knows Weekes isn't the long term answer for this team, but he's always been a great guy and if they both push each other the Rangers are the one's who win.

Old
10-17-2005, 10:49 PM
Balej20*

Last time I checked, you NEVER sit a goalie after he gets a shut out...So it looks like Henke will be in net on Wed.

Old
10-17-2005, 10:50 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Ya, I would think they would have split the back to back games anyway but Lundqvist should get the Wednesday game. He plays good in front of the home crowd.

Old
10-17-2005, 10:56 PM
Jericho

The comments, like most sports quotes, don't mean too much. On the ice play is what speaks, and I wouldn't spend too much time over-analyzing some quote.

Old
10-17-2005, 11:00 PM
JonathanTwinkleToews
is a Canuck fan.

I was just wondering if anyone knows when Kevin Weekes' contract with the Rangers will end?

Thanks for any help provided

Old
10-18-2005, 11:51 AM
fejas

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88
Ya, I would think they would have split the back to back games anyway but Lundqvist should get the Wednesday game. He plays good in front of the home crowd.
Not to mention that if Weekes was to start and the Rangers somehow lost, all the blame would be on the decision of not starting Henke. If they win with Weekes, people would still say that Lundqvist should have started. I say give the kid the start at home on Wed.

Old
10-18-2005, 11:53 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brule
I was just wondering if anyone knows when Kevin Weekes' contract with the Rangers will end?

Thanks for any help provided
June of 08.

Old
10-18-2005, 12:39 PM
eco's bones

If Weekes can go I think he'll play one of the Islander games. I'm not worried too much about what Renney said here. And Weekes knows that he's being pushed. It's up to him to respond and hopefully he responds well.

Closed Thread