HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Lombardi seek further cap space?

Old
09-30-2011, 10:23 AM
Capn Brown

vCash: 500
Will Lombardi seek further cap space?

We've all seen how the guy operates. Each year, he leaves open approximately 7% of the cap. Well, with the Doughty contract, Lombardi is now down to only (approximately) 3.5% of the cap.

Will he seek to increase it? If so, when? Before the season begins? During this season? Next off-season?

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:28 AM
Kingurentai

I think for now DL and the team will just focus on the season and see how it plays out. I don't think he will be in any rush since a lot is coming off the books at the end of the season anyway. I'm not much of a cap/contract guy but I believe Stoll/Penner comes off. Stoll can be replaced by Loktionov.

Kingurentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:32 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Can you show us the cap hits you are looking at to determine this 3.5%? Who are you leaving up and down? What are you saying is Hunter's (supposed) contract, if you are saying one?

Without the numbers, I still say no, he won't do anything drastic to create cap space. Drewiske and Parse get waived likely, but that's about it, and their cap hits are more than off-set by other guys coming in to take their places.

Unlike in past years, we aren't rebuilding or developing. DL made a big off-season push, getting Richards and Gagne, trading last year for Penner, and going deep to sign Doughty. You spend to the cap when you are going for the cup. We are going for a long playoff run that might include a legitimate shot at the cup. 3.5% is fine.

Also, I wouldn't worry about next off-season yet. A lot could play out, especially in terms of possibly extending Penner/Stoll/Mitchell.

kingsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:40 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

How many goals exactly did Cap Space score last year again?

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:45 AM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Can you show us the cap hits you are looking at to determine this 3.5%?
I'm looking here: http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Te...ary_cap_thou=3

I'm looking at our number for cap space ($9,343,690) and then subtracting $7,000,000 for Doughty. That leaves us with $2,343,690 in cap space. Here are the equations:

Salary Cap = $64,300,000

(64,300,000)(.07) = $4,501,000 ...or the amount of cap space Lombardi is comfortable with.

(64,300,000)(.035) = $2,250,500 ...or the approximate amount of cap space Lombardi currently has to play with.

For now, I'm leaving Hunter out of it.

Quote:
You spend to the cap when you are going for the cup.
Maybe *you* do, maybe *I* do as well. But what does Lombardi do? That's really what I'm trying to get at.

Last edited by Capn Brown: 09-30-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:48 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

He doesn't really need much more than $2-3M. A pro-rated Penner from the deadline was about $900k, and most guys moved at the deadline don't make much more than that.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:51 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 102
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Lombardi said we are a cap team, eventually we will have to pay to the cap. We still could possibly sign Hunter and, as the season progresses, we will gain more cap space to maneuver with. Some transactions likely need to be made due to how full the roster is but they won't be cap related.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:58 AM
Johnny Utah

I have a feeling something is going to happen soon with Parse/Scuderi/Hunter/Martinez/Voynov and Loktionov that could shake things up and cut payroll.

Johnny Utah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 11:02 AM
Ollie Weeks

We're fine. We'll be looking at relatively small pieces at the deadline anyway.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 11:03 AM
onlyalad

Per TL AEG is blazing. Kings staying near the cap.

onlyalad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 11:05 AM
DaAnimal

i cant imagine scuds getting moved. It could happen but i don't want it to happen. I mean and him Mitchell are superb on D.

DaAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 11:25 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Brown View Post
I'm looking here: http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Te...ary_cap_thou=3

I'm looking at our number for cap space ($9,343,690) and then subtracting $7,000,000 for Doughty. That leaves us with $2,343,690 in cap space. Here are the equations:

Salary Cap = $64,300,000

(64,300,000)(.07) = $4,501,000 ...or the amount of cap space Lombardi is comfortable with.

(64,300,000)(.035) = $2,250,500 ...or the approximate amount of cap space Lombardi currently has to play with.

For now, I'm leaving Hunter out of it.

Maybe *you* do, maybe *I* do as well. But what does Lombardi do? That's really what I'm trying to get at.
I think you'll see Drewiske, Parse and Fraser get waived and be replaced by Hunter, Voinov and Loktionov. Their salaries will essentially even out (assuming Hunter signs for $750Kish), maybe go up a tiny bit.

Other than that, no change, and I see no reason why DL would want to.

And considering the way DL has added slary this season (Richards, Gagne, Doughty) I assume he has the green light to spend from AEG and I see no other reason for DL to not spend right to the cap if he feels it'll give him the best team possible. He'll likely leave a little cap room, incase of injury that can't be LTIRed, but that's about it.

Old
09-30-2011, 11:26 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Lombardi said we are a cap team, eventually we will have to pay to the cap. We still could possibly sign Hunter and, as the season progresses, we will gain more cap space to maneuver with. Some transactions likely need to be made due to how full the roster is but they won't be cap related.
While I think Voinov was the better of the two players slightly, if DL and TM were considering keeping Hickey over Voinov, the fact he makes $500K more than Voinov will likely kill that notion in the wake of Drew's new deal.

Old
09-30-2011, 11:27 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
I have a feeling something is going to happen soon with Parse/Scuderi/Hunter/Martinez/Voynov and Loktionov that could shake things up and cut payroll.
Scuderi and Martinez? What? I'd assume Drewiske is gone before either of them.

Old
09-30-2011, 11:40 AM
Johnny Utah

There have been rumblings for the past month that Scuderi might be on the block. He makes big money and can be replaced by one of the young guys, it would take a veteran presence out of the line-up, but it would also move JJ into more of a veteran role.

Drewiske is a perfect #7 guy, I would think Martinez could still up in Manchester. No one wants Martinez, Voynov as the #7 in the press box.

Old
09-30-2011, 11:57 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

I don't get why being a #7 defenseman automatically means you're in the pressbox to some people. There's nothing wrong with dressing 11 forwards and 7 defensemen. I personally would rather see us dress Voinov than Moreau. Moreau is good for 5 minutes a game in special situations. Voinov can play 15 minutes and play on either of the bottom two pairings as well as on the PP. At this point, I'd rather see A-Mart and Voinov playing 15-17 minutes a game in most situations in the NHL then seeing one in the AHL and Moreau/Westgarth/Parse/Fraser in as a depth forward on the Kings.

Also, having Voinov sitting in the press box 10-20 games a year won't kill him. He'll still be playing a fair amount and practicing with the NHL team all year.

Old
09-30-2011, 12:03 PM
Johnny Utah

Murray rarely pulls the dressing #7 D man situation, it messes up the D combos....

And if everyone is healthy Voynov might not see any time. Martinez got his games last year because Drewiske sucked after being penciled as Greene's partner but due to the lack of speed they tried something else...

Old
09-30-2011, 12:09 PM
bobafettish*

NJ:
Stoll Bernier Hickey

LA:
Parise

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 12:09 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Even in a year when we had really good health, LA's defensemen accounted for 53 man games lost. Doubt we are that lucky.

Also, when has TM had a 7th d-man like Voinov. I wouldn't want to mess with lines either when Drewiske and Harrold are my 7th D options. If TM is so rigid and unconvential that he'd rather play Moreau and the likes over a clearly more talented and just as NHL ready player, then maybe that's a clue to DL that TM might not be the guy to lead the cup push in a year.

Old
09-30-2011, 12:10 PM
bobafettish*

Quote:
I don't get why being a #7 defenseman automatically means you're in the pressbox to some people. There's nothing wrong with dressing 11 forwards and 7 defensemen. I personally would rather see us dress Voinov than Moreau. Moreau is good for 5 minutes a game in special situations. Voinov can play 15 minutes and play on either of the bottom two pairings as well as on the PP. At this point, I'd rather see A-Mart and Voinov playing 15-17 minutes a game in most situations in the NHL then seeing one in the AHL and Moreau/Westgarth/Parse/Fraser in as a depth forward on the Kings.

Also, having Voinov sitting in the press box 10-20 games a year won't kill him. He'll still be playing a fair amount and practicing with the NHL team all year.
this. we cant risk losing Voynov when his value is low. I think this guy is gonna be better than JJ

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 12:33 PM
Fishhead

Looking ahead, I'm not over worried about cap space. A lot of that space is related to how the Kings do this year. If they make a deep playoff run and have some solid success, next year may finally be the year it doesn't cost us top dollar to bring players in.

Fishhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 12:37 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

If we sign Hunter what do you guys think it's for? I'm gonna guess Moreau money since it'll be a 1 year deal, anywhere from 600-850k.

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 12:42 PM
Magicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Brown View Post
We've all seen how the guy operates. Each year, he leaves open approximately 7% of the cap. Well, with the Doughty contract, Lombardi is now down to only (approximately) 3.5% of the cap.

Will he seek to increase it? If so, when? Before the season begins? During this season? Next off-season?
Completely untrue.

07/08-45.6 cap, 7.0 space, 15% space
08/09-43.8 cap, 17.0 space, 38% space
09/10-54.0 cap, 6.0 space, 11% space
10/11, 59.6 cap, 3.7 space, 6.2% space

Never has he had 7% space and even if you average all the seasons it still doesn't average 7%.

Why don't you do a little investigation before posting complete ********

Magicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 12:54 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 383
Mitchell is a concussion away from maybe never playing again.
Depth is key. Hickey might be moved. Scuds won't

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 12:54 PM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
If we sign Hunter what do you guys think it's for? I'm gonna guess Moreau money since it'll be a 1 year deal, anywhere from 600-850k.
Ima say 875k.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote