HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are we missing the presence of Hamrlik...

Old
09-30-2011, 12:34 PM
Padrino86

vCash: 500
No, the only thing this team is missing is Muller

Padrino86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 12:36 PM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

I'm sure we might miss him at some point but we haven't missed him in preseason for one simple reason: Hammer's patented preseason groin pull prevented him from playing most preseason games while he was with us.

Jokes aside, we can't tell if we're going to miss him, the season hasn't started yet. Yes, the team isn't winning but I'll wait until the final roster played a few games before I pass a judgement. I recommend you guys do the same.

Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 12:39 PM
habsrock76

I know he never looks good but has anyone else noticed how especially brutal Gill looks so far, I really hope he's used as the 7th d-mant his year.

habsrock76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 01:07 PM
RaMMuT
Tank Nation 2012

YES!!!

Specially now that Markov is not even ready it makes it hurt even more.

Im sorry but Gorges coming back won't replace Hammer's 22 minutes per game.

We'll see how the season goes but I am sure we will have a slow start with all these new youngsters in defense.

We'll win the cup though.

RaMMuT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 01:49 PM
Clipitar

For this year only at 3.5, I would've signed him without thinking twice. But I think resigning him for two years might have been a risky idea considering the two RFA's that, hopefully, PG will be able to sign long-term this off-season.

And who knows? If Hamrlik accepted 3.5 with much lower taxes constraints in D.C., maybe he was asking 4+ to stay in Montreal?

But all in all, I think some people are selling him a bit short in this thread. He has been rock solid most of his tenure as a Hab, and that includes last year as well, even if he showed some definite signs of fatigue at some point.

Clipitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 02:07 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Not missing him at 3.5 for 2 years. People complain about Spacek...

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 02:44 PM
Connor McJesus
Praise

Hamrlik for 2 x 3.5 or Markov for 3 x 5.75 ?

Connor McJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 02:51 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Funny how people say he's too old and too slow when he's been our #1 D for the last two seasons. I really don't get it... Game #5 vs Boston last season: 35minutes TOI!!!

I prefer a D being "too old" than a young D that can't do the job in the NHL.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 02:54 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

No. Not missing Hamrlik at all. Seems that people are forgetting last year's playoffs against the Bruins when our biggest problem was our defense and the problems that their lack of mobility caused.

Hamrlik should be gone. So should Gill and Spacek.

What I am missing is a dynamic GM who would have looked at those three aging DMen and decided to set them free and then brought in three younger, more mobile (and tougher) DMen to replace them. Then, we would not be gnashing our teeth and wailing because Markov is still injured.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 03:27 PM
Max Levine

We often miss those who are gone but when they were here, there was a lot of complaining. Hamrlik will have a good year in Washington... from afar. But no doubt Caps fans will be *****ing about him now and then.

Gill has done nothing so far. But he's shown in the past how long it takes him to get it going. Could be his career is done but he gave that same impression early in the season last year, and the previous year.

Spacek? I don't know what to think of Spacek. I'm still hoping for his best season in his three years in Montreal.

Gorges will be fine. Subban will be fine.

Markov, when he returns, will make a difference as long as he remains healthy.

So one of Campoli, Weber and Emelin will have to get the final spot. If Spacek struggles, two of them will have to step in. I'm confident that Martin will set his pairings and one of those guys will play with more confidence with his regular partner.

I'm actually counting on Emelin to be paired with Markov and make it work. If so, then there will be one spot left for Spacek or Campoli to play alongside Subban or Gorges.

Markov-Emelin
Gill/Spacek/Campoli-Subban
Gill/Spacek/Campoli-Gorges
Spacek/Campoli/Weber

I don't think this is a bad defense once you find the best matches and you let them play together for 10-15 games.

Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 03:36 PM
OneSharpMarble

What we miss is another top 2 dman and hamrlik wasn't that. Price had to stand on his head to make this defense look respectable last year and they didn't bring in anyone to fix that. Price will be JM's only "plan" once again. Ride the goalie and don't fix the defense, how many years has this been going on now?

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 03:42 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Our team's handsome level went down a tonne with his departure.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 04:44 PM
canadiens1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleneck Plek View Post
I'm sure we might miss him at some point but we haven't missed him in preseason for one simple reason: Hammer's patented preseason groin pull prevented him from playing most preseason games while he was with us.

Jokes aside, we can't tell if we're going to miss him, the season hasn't started yet. Yes, the team isn't winning but I'll wait until the final roster played a few games before I pass a judgement. I recommend you guys do the same.
Never got a chance to congratulate you guys for HabsHQ, I especially love the videos you guys make.

Keep up the good work

canadiens1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 05:49 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

We have to wait until the team TRULY plays to win. (ie. regular season)

Then we will know.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 06:22 PM
Gally11

Seems like every year we're missing the presence of a defense man that left through UFA the year before or is out to long term injury... The team always seems to adjust just fine though!

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 06:27 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
No. Not missing Hamrlik at all. Seems that people are forgetting last year's playoffs against the Bruins when our biggest problem was our defense and the problems that their lack of mobility caused.

Hamrlik should be gone. So should Gill and Spacek.

What I am missing is a dynamic GM who would have looked at those three aging DMen and decided to set them free and then brought in three younger, more mobile (and tougher) DMen to replace them. Then, we would not be gnashing our teeth and wailing because Markov is still injured.
To be fair Campoli, Yemelin and Diaz are younger and alot more mobile.

In Yemelin and Campoli case I would say they are tougher than the Hamrlik of now and than Spacek. Gill is not the most physical guy, but he isn't soft at least and he clear the crease. Spacek is also not that slow he has way more mobility than Gill and Hamrlik. I would of liked that we found an option to replace Gill thought that is younger, more mobile and more physical and good on the PK.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 06:39 PM
buddahsmoka1

I stated from the beginning that I wanted Hammer resigned, but I wasn't necessarily willing to give him two years, and that is what he wanted.

Campoli helps ease the gap for sure, he will contribute in many the same ways Hammer did.

The only prominent thing that sucks about losing Hammer was his even strength production, which was the best on the back end; something we are not particularly strong at.

buddahsmoka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 06:58 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
To be fair Campoli, Yemelin and Diaz are younger and alot more mobile.

In Yemelin and Campoli case I would say they are tougher than the Hamrlik of now and than Spacek. Gill is not the most physical guy, but he isn't soft at least and he clear the crease. Spacek is also not that slow he has way more mobility than Gill and Hamrlik. I would of liked that we found an option to replace Gill thought that is younger, more mobile and more physical and good on the PK.
I did like some of the things I saw with Campoli last night. And I do not doubt that Yemelin will adjust to the NHL soon enough. I cant help wishing though that we would have gotten a good quality DMan in the offseason to take some of the pressure off of Markov.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 07:00 PM
Harpo
Lyle forever

vCash: 50
Hamrlik was great and the only reason we did not sign him was Spacek's ****** contract being on the books again this year. Without Spacek, we could have gone:

Markov-Yemelin
Subban-Gill
Hamrlik-Gorges
(Weber-Diaz-Woywitka)

That, my friend, would be one of the best D in the league. And no need for Campoli.

And event with Spacek's contract, I would have given Hamrlik 2 years instead of having Gill and Campoli this year.

Harpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 08:51 PM
habitue*

Hamrlik is really a finished over-the-hill player on a loser's team that's probably gonna finish in the basement....

He just played over 23 min tonite. Second most on the team...

Really useless...

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 09:02 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
No way! Not for 2 years like he wanted. There's enough D-Men on the team that someone will step in to replace him, That's E-Z.

It's Markov that we can't replace.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 09:18 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdAtTheCoolTable View Post
No, it was time to cut the cord. His foot speed left alot be desired last year.
He was good during the season, but absolutley awful in the 7 games vs the Bruins...now a year older, it was time to move on, especially since he turned down a 1yr deal...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 09:19 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Hamrlik is really a finished over-the-hill player on a loser's team that's probably gonna finish in the basement....

He just played over 23 min tonite. Second most on the team...

Really useless...

Sorry to hear someone ran over your cat today...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 09:41 PM
Marchy79

Y'know... I was definately saddened by his departure, I got over it, and now I gotta say NO! We dont miss him yet, cause we havent played 1 game that counted without him yet.

I love the canadiens and hockey... But I have also learned that pre-season means absolutely NOTHING.

Give the team some time, when the back end is healthy, IMO Hamrlik will NOT be missed at all.

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:06 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
I said yes, will have to say yes now. Though, this would not make it a perfect defense, it would add stability to a team who has to play with 2 guys with no experience at the NHL level. Hamrlik was overused last year and people decided to blame him while not taking into consideration that fact. Once Markov comes back, Hamrlike would have taken his regular spot. Hamrlik is clearly ahead of Gill at this stage and if the price was what he asked, thinking we didn't have better, I would have taken it.

NOW, it's clearly NOT the type of defense I have in mind. Yes, puckmovers are great and a must. But at one point, you also need some front of the net cleaners and bodycheckers, and guys you'd be afraid of going on their side 'cause you might be on your ass.....It takes a mix in a team to make it work. We don't have that mix on our team, which means we surely don't have it in our defense. But that would be to have a perfect team. We're not there yet.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote