HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marc Staal (10/5: Out indefinitely, on IR)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-30-2011, 01:23 PM
  #351
metalan2
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceCheese91 View Post
Getting a little ahead of ourselves dont you think? This is still a deep team without Staal, but I mean he is definitly not replaceable for what he brings to our team. I think the East is realllll deep this year and the standings will be much closer than the average fan realizes.
I think for a 100% fact the Rangers will make the playoffs with or without Staal. I was just saying he'll probably be ready for the playoffs. If he is doing this bad, and Crosby is doing this well and still not back, he has a long road.

Plus he played basically a month and a half with a concussion. Does not look good.

metalan2 is offline  
Old
09-30-2011, 01:31 PM
  #352
DrSutton*
Given Up
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalan2 View Post
I think for a 100% fact the Rangers will make the playoffs with or without Staal. I was just saying he'll probably be ready for the playoffs. If he is doing this bad, and Crosby is doing this well and still not back, he has a long road.

Plus he played basically a month and a half with a concussion. Does not look good.
Concussions affect different people differently. you can't use Crosby as a baseline here. He might be affected that long, he may not. But just because it went that way for him, doesn't mean it's gonna go that way for someone else.

DrSutton* is offline  
Old
09-30-2011, 01:45 PM
  #353
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,847
vCash: 500
Why didn't Gross tweet about the Staal cortisone shot?

A herniated disk in the neck does cause headaches and a cortisone shot is administered. Sather indicated a disk issue could be the cause of the headaches. The MRI showed a disk issue in Staal's neck.

Quote:
Neck
As with pain in the lower back, neck pain is also common. When pressure is placed on a nerve in the neck, it causes pain in the muscles between your neck and shoulder (trapezius muscles). The pain may shoot down the arm. The pain may also cause headaches in the back of the head. Other symptoms include:
Quote:
If these nonsurgical treatment measures fail, epidural injections of a cortisone-like drug may lessen nerve irritation and allow more effective participation in physical therapy. These injections are given on an outpatient basis over a period of weeks.
http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00334

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
09-30-2011, 05:05 PM
  #354
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Why didn't Gross tweet about the Staal cortisone shot?
url]
Because Gross wrote about it in his latest blog entry.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline  
Old
10-03-2011, 04:45 PM
  #355
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 56,172
vCash: 300
KatieStrangESPN Katie Strang
#NYR Marc Staal will not join Rangers in Europe--ESPN New York
1 minute ago

__________________

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline  
Old
10-03-2011, 04:46 PM
  #356
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,741
vCash: 500
If Sauer's not back the Kings are going to feast on us.

Staal really needs to be ready to go when we come back to NA.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline  
Old
10-03-2011, 04:49 PM
  #357
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 56,172
vCash: 300
Even with Sauer, the Kings/Ducks are going to feast on us.

I think the Ducks are wildly overrated, but Selanne, Visnovsky, Ryan, Getzlaf, and Perry are going to have their way with us.

JeffMangum is offline  
Old
10-03-2011, 04:52 PM
  #358
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,741
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Even with Sauer, the Kings/Ducks are going to feast on us.

I think the Ducks are wildly overrated, but Selanne, Visnovsky, Ryan, Getzlaf, and Perry are going to have their way with us.
The Ducks as a team, yeah, but their offensive group are lethal. Even with Staal they just out-speed us. Hank is going to have to be the MVP of the next few weeks if Staal is out.

I feel Sauer-McDonagh can deal with Mike Richards, but without Sauer the King's entire top 6 is going to embarrass our defense.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline  
Old
10-03-2011, 04:53 PM
  #359
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,917
vCash: 50
Depends. If the Rangers can make it their game by controlling play with physicality, puck possession from the AA and Boyle line, they can win the games.

The Ducks have given us problems recently, but hey,we're due.

Fitzy is offline  
Old
10-03-2011, 04:53 PM
  #360
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 56,172
vCash: 300
Hopefully Staal is ready to go on Friday? against the Islanders. Thankfully, the team has a nice, long break after Saturday's game.

JeffMangum is offline  
Old
10-03-2011, 05:09 PM
  #361
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck
 
NYRFAN218's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 11,945
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Hopefully Staal is ready to go on Friday? against the Islanders. Thankfully, the team has a nice, long break after Saturday's game.
It's a Saturday night game on Long Island.

Right move to keep him off the trip. I've said before I'd be willing to give him the entire Canadian road trip off too to make sure he's fully healthy. As much as it may suck, they're all pretty much out of conference games in October. Rather him take off in October rather than him being reconcussed because he was rushed back.

NYRFAN218 is offline  
Old
10-03-2011, 05:11 PM
  #362
DrSutton*
Given Up
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 500
Not expecting much out of this Europe trip. a point would be nice, two better, but don't think we'll be seeing anything more than that.

DrSutton* is offline  
Old
10-03-2011, 05:13 PM
  #363
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,062
vCash: 500
It would be terrific news if they found out the headaches were not concussion related and due to a herniated disc...

wolfgaze is offline  
Old
10-03-2011, 05:17 PM
  #364
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 56,172
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
It would be terrific news if they found out the headaches were not concussion related and due to a herniated disc...
Eh, neither are exactly easy injuries to deal with. Herniated discs take a long time to heal, and can take longer to heal than your average concussion, along with having a [potentially] permanant effect on Staal's play.

JeffMangum is offline  
Old
10-03-2011, 05:19 PM
  #365
Firestorm
Registered User
 
Firestorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Canada Eh?
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,064
vCash: 500
So this is pretty much up in the air? For fantasy hockey, do you suggest I dump him?

Firestorm is offline  
Old
10-03-2011, 05:28 PM
  #366
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 56,172
vCash: 300
stevezipay Steve Zipay
NYR# D Marc Staal (concussion-related headaches) will miss the first 2 games of the regular season, and perhaps more.

Just great. This is the Rangers, folks. This team has the potential to be the best team we've had since the mid-90s, and our #1 defenseman is uncertainly sidelined before the season even starts. Fan-****ing-tastic.

JeffMangum is offline  
Old
10-03-2011, 05:29 PM
  #367
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Eh, neither are exactly easy injuries to deal with. Herniated discs take a long time to heal, and can take longer to heal than your average concussion, along with having a [potentially] permanant effect on Staal's play.
Yes it would be better than lingering concussion symptoms from a hit that occurred 8 months ago... You can't treat concussion symptoms with cortisone shots...

wolfgaze is offline  
Old
10-03-2011, 05:33 PM
  #368
John Torturella
Registered User
 
John Torturella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
stevezipay Steve Zipay
NYR# D Marc Staal (concussion-related headaches) will miss the first 2 games of the regular season, and perhaps more.

Just great. This is the Rangers, folks. This team has the potential to be the best team we've had since the mid-90s, and our #1 defenseman is uncertainly sidelined before the season even starts. Fan-****ing-tastic.
I think people need to relax a little bit. Staal has been practicing. If there were serious problems, he wouldn't see the ice. There is a long season ahead of us and we need to make sure that he is healthy for the long hall, rather than risk that for a few early games. It would obviously be awesome if he were able to play, but you have to realize that if they aren't careful and 100% certain that he is OK, and they run him out there, he could miss even more time than he will already. You don't take chances with your number one defender at this stage in the game.

John Torturella is offline  
Old
10-03-2011, 05:45 PM
  #369
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato
 
HatTrick Swayze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,336
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
stevezipay Steve Zipay
NYR# D Marc Staal (concussion-related headaches) will miss the first 2 games of the regular season, and perhaps more.

Just great. This is the Rangers, folks. This team has the potential to be the best team we've had since the mid-90s, and our #1 defenseman is uncertainly sidelined before the season even starts. Fan-****ing-tastic.
Gotta love being a Ranger fan.

__________________
"Here we can see the agression of american people. They love fighting and guns. when they wont win they try to kill us all." -HalfOfFame
HatTrick Swayze is offline  
Old
10-03-2011, 06:10 PM
  #370
DrSutton*
Given Up
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
I think people need to relax a little bit. Staal has been practicing. If there were serious problems, he wouldn't see the ice. There is a long season ahead of us and we need to make sure that he is healthy for the long hall, rather than risk that for a few early games. It would obviously be awesome if he were able to play, but you have to realize that if they aren't careful and 100% certain that he is OK, and they run him out there, he could miss even more time than he will already. You don't take chances with your number one defender at this stage in the game.
Our number 1 defenseman is going to miss the start of the season, and possibly longer - confirmed. I'm pretty sure the time to relax has past.
People on here were very quick to come back with the "Relax everybodies" when this was first brought up with "oh he's practicing" "oh hes cleared for contact", and now he isn't going to start the season. We need a good start to the season as much as everybody else does. When do the next group of relaxers come back?

"Relax guys, he'll be back next year"

DrSutton* is offline  
Old
10-03-2011, 06:39 PM
  #371
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
Our number 1 defenseman is going to miss the start of the season, and possibly longer - confirmed. I'm pretty sure the time to relax has past.
People on here were very quick to come back with the "Relax everybodies" when this was first brought up with "oh he's practicing" "oh hes cleared for contact", and now he isn't going to start the season. We need a good start to the season as much as everybody else does. When do the next group of relaxers come back?

"Relax guys, he'll be back next year"
A lot of teams in the league have lost key players for extended periods of time... It's something every team is going to have to deal with at some point or another...

Just last season:

Markov
Streit
Pronger
Parise
Crosby

just to name a few....

Sure our blueline looks a bit shakey with one of our top pairing defenseman out of the mix, but we'll survive.... Season is 82 games long...

wolfgaze is offline  
Old
10-03-2011, 06:48 PM
  #372
DrSutton*
Given Up
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
A lot of teams in the league have lost key players for extended periods of time... It's something every team is going to have to deal with at some point or another...

Just last season:

Markov
Streit
Pronger
Parise
Crosby

just to name a few....

Sure our blueline looks a bit shakey with one of our top pairing defenseman out of the mix, but we'll survive.... Season is 82 games long...
Injuries happen sure, but just because other teams have them too doesn't diminish the importance of losing Staal to our team

Lundqvist
Staal
Callahan
Everyone else

that is our team's hierarchy. Cut out anyone of those and it's instant trouble. We saw that with Callahan last year.

We need to start this season off on the right foot. Of those injuries you mentioned, Parise and Streit were lost at the begining of the season, we know how that turned out for their teams. Markov is always injured so that team has learned to play around him, to middling results. Staal was our Iron Man pre-this season so the team and defense don't have a lot of experience playing without him. To put it shortly, none of those teams experienced the level of success that they wanted too.

DrSutton* is offline  
Old
10-03-2011, 06:53 PM
  #373
msv957
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
A lot of teams in the league have lost key players for extended periods of time... It's something every team is going to have to deal with at some point or another...

Just last season:

Markov
Streit
Pronger
Parise
Crosby

just to name a few....

Sure our blueline looks a bit shakey with one of our top pairing defenseman out of the mix, but we'll survive.... Season is 82 games long...
exactly.. Injuries are part of the game. Besides, it is not like Staal is Larry Robinson or Chris Pronger here.. There is more than enough depth on this team to get through this injury.

msv957 is offline  
Old
10-03-2011, 06:56 PM
  #374
DrSutton*
Given Up
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
exactly.. Injuries are part of the game. Besides, it is not like Staal is Larry Robinson or Chris Pronger here.. There is more than enough depth on this team to get through this injury.
yes we certainly saw that depth on display today didn't we....

Staal may not be Larry Robinson, but he is our BEST D-man by a country mile. Those are not shoes, or minutes rather, easily filled.

DrSutton* is offline  
Old
10-03-2011, 06:56 PM
  #375
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
They should start seriously considering a trade for a top four defenseman.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:28 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.