HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

MSG's Reaction When Jagr Returns

Old
09-27-2011, 10:52 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerPuck View Post
I predict a lot of Rangers fans booing as Jagr scores oodles of powerplay goals.
This is just laughable. I hope this is a joke. Jagr scored 2 PPG last night with a half the rangers team sitting in the press box. That's really something to get high off of I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrgodr View Post
your GM decided to go with a bunch of other scrubs instead of Jagr, the writting was on the wall. Gomez & Drury? LOL
Yeah that's it. Idiocy.

As for Jagr returning to MSG. I absolutely will not boo. He didn't leave on bad terms and he did a lot for this organization. He put them in the playoffs post-lockout, just didn't have the right players surrounding him. I don't think we should act like Penguins and Capitals fans, booing the guy til no avail.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 11:26 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
No offense to any Jagr fans here, but no one should ever be cheering for someone wearing a Flyers jersey.
^ FTW!!!!

Seriously! The guy goes for the money, always has and always will. He was an incredible talent and for the short time he was here he didn't want to be captain then eventually took it. Yes he restored respectability to the franchise but if you ask me, I'd prefer the single season goal record would have stayed with Adam Graves.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 11:34 AM
Ola

Give him a standing O for no other reason than to make Pittburgh fans look bad!!!

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 11:44 AM
Bardof425*

He's a Flyer; he gets booed. I'm sure he couldn't care less how we receive him. If he did he would have stayed clear of Philadelphia. there were other suitors and he took the Philly offer for less money.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 11:45 AM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
^ FTW!!!!

Seriously! The guy goes for the money, always has and always will. He was an incredible talent and for the short time he was here he didn't want to be captain then eventually took it. Yes he restored respectability to the franchise but if you ask me, I'd prefer the single season goal record would have stayed with Adam Graves.
Goes for the money? He probably could have made more money in the KHL this year.

And anyways, so what if he did? Did Richards go for the money? Did Messier? Did Drury?

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 11:55 AM
NYROrtsFan

Turned into my favorite player... I'd cheer.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 12:50 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

I hope he is raucously cheered. "We want Jagr!" He is still the man with several prominent club records and led us out of the dark times. I kind of get chills just thinking about the dark times. more like shuddering. Once the puck drops, he should not be booed when he touches the puck, maybe something funny instead like a "where's your mullet?" chant. And if he is announced on the PA as a scorer "why Jagr? why?"

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 01:42 PM
EEDAWGZ

screw Jagr he ruined Gretzky night

EEDAWGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 01:47 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
forget Jagr. he walked out on us for $$$. Where was the cup he promised to bring to NY?

He needed to his finish career with the Pens, not the Flyers.

But it should prove what he's been about all along.... himself.

get lost
wth u talking about? He didn't walk out on us, Sather told him that we were going a different direction. The Rangers walked out on him! Mark that down as one of Sather's big goofs. I just hope he doesn't get booed every time he touches the puck. He deserves better. And Ranger fans should attempt to hold themselves to a higher standard than those lame Pens fans that booed him. There's a reason why he didn't sign with Pittsburgh. Malkin-Jagr would have been lethal.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 02:46 PM
JimmyStart*

Does he deserve Giacomin treatment hell no but he deserves an ovation for damn sure. I'll be pissed if he gets booed by any morons at the game. If nobody cheers I won't be mad at that tho. I'm very pissed we didn't re sign him I think he would have pushed our PP to tops in the league with Richards and gabs or at least made our second unit respectable. He was worth 3 mil for 1 year.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 03:07 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

If Jagr has a good season, anyone think he could be our Mark Recchi next season? He is only signed to the Flyers for one season.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 03:52 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrt2000 View Post
He should be cheered. It was Slats that forced him out by signing Naslund before Jagr was ready to make his decision on the 1 year contract after not getting the 2 years like he wanted.
Agreed. Let's not forget allocating $6.5 million to Wade Redden before Jagr made a decision. I would have taken Jagr at 36, 37, 38 and now 39 over Naslund and Redden. It was a terrible decision by Sather.

In reality, I think he will get a nice pop at MSG from the fan base. Most people I speak to are very appreciative of what he has done for the franchise. He took a team that missed the playoffs for 7 YEARS, carried them on his back, in one of the most special seasons any of us have seen, and brought playoff hockey back to NY. If that doesn't get a standing ovation, than I don't know what will. I too appreciate everything he did for the franchise.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 03:59 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
^ FTW!!!!

This is foolish, I would have preferred Jagr breaking the goal record, and point record, and carrying our team to the playoffs. Personally, I was sick watching Ranger hockey year in and year out to only be met with severe disappointment.

And read what you just wrote. Before him WE WERE the LAUGHING STOCK of the NHL. Annually, we had the highest payroll, signed big name free agents who did nothing, and prominently missed the playoffs. This was only accompanied by our many drafting gaffs (Maholtra, Lundmark, Brendl, Montoya, Jessiman, etc.) that kept us in the dark times. It just sounds stupid IMO.

Old
09-28-2011, 04:21 PM
asphyXy

Give him an "MVP! MVP!" chant for old times' sake.

asphyXy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 06:45 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
He's a Flyer; he gets booed. I'm sure he couldn't care less how we receive him. If he did he would have stayed clear of Philadelphia. there were other suitors and he took the Philly offer for less money.
Would it really have been any better if he signed in Pittsburgh?

And I definitely disagree 100% with him not caring how we receive him. If there's anyone who cares, it's Jagr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
Goes for the money? He probably could have made more money in the KHL this year.

And anyways, so what if he did? Did Richards go for the money? Did Messier? Did Drury?

Yeah exactly. The whole Jagr wanting the money thing is a joke. People never have any issue with every free agent we sign because they wanted the money.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 07:01 PM
mucker*

I'll boo him.

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 08:50 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphyXy View Post
Give him an "MVP! MVP!" chant for old times' sake.
I'm definitely down for it!

Old
09-30-2011, 02:40 AM
426er

Nothing wrong at all for showing appreciation to someone who instilled some respectability here when we had none. Im even all for a small video tribute. Besides - it would be nice to show Philly what class means.

426er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 11:20 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrt2000 View Post
He should be cheered. It was Slats that forced him out by signing Naslund before Jagr was ready to make his decision on the 1 year contract after not getting the 2 years like he wanted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
wth u talking about? He didn't walk out on us, Sather told him that we were going a different direction. The Rangers walked out on him! Mark that down as one of Sather's big goofs.
This is incorrect.... Jagr and his Agent made no serious attempt to negotiate a new contract with the Rangers leading up to July 1st and intentionally dragged their feet.... Sather had no choice but to pursue other options on July 1st rather than wait around all summer for Jagr to eventually pursue his KHL payday that he wanted anyway.... If you read the interviews on July 1st, Sather says he waited around for Jagr's agent to contact them leading up to July 1st, and they didn't get that call, so he spoke with Jagr that day and they told them they were moving in a different direction....

Quote:
"I talked to Jaromir (Thursday) and waited for a call for the last couple of days and nothing happened, so we decided they were going to move on," Sather said. "I gave him the information that we are going to move on at this time. I couldn't wait any longer. If things don't work for him in Russia, he can call us back and we can see what we can do."
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpo...c-8bd6a81aa751

I know it's fun to make Sather look like the bad guy, but he's absolutely right in this respect... Jagr and his Agent know how the business works... They knew this was time sensitive... If Jagr was serious about rejoining the Rangers that year, they would have put forth an earnest and honest effort to hammer out a deal before July 1st UFA frenzy, because the Rangers absolutely needed to know what his intentions were..... If Sather had no intention to re-sign Jagr, why would he state they were waiting for a call from his agent???? Do you honestly believe that Sather thought Markus Naslund was a better option than Jaromir Jagr? If Jagr was so intent on remaining in the NHL, why didn't he sign with another NHL team that summer? Why did he spend 3 seasons in the KHL if his intentions were to stay in the NHL?

Last edited by wolfgaze: 09-30-2011 at 11:27 AM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 11:38 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
I don't believe this is correct.... He's making $3.3 mil this season with Philly... Who was offering him more money? Penguins offered him $2 mil:

Quote:
PITTSBURGH (AP)—The Penguins on Friday withdrew their one-year contract offer to forward Jaromir Jagr.

The team made the announcement moments before the free-agency signing period began at noon. The offer was for $2 million
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=ap-penguins-jagr

Quote:
“We made what we thought was a very fair contract offer to Jaromir on Tuesday, based on his stated interest of returning to the Penguins,” general manager Ray Shero said. “We made our best offer from the start, given our salary-cap structure, in an attempt to facilitate a deal. But now, after several days, with an extended time frame for making a decision, and additional teams getting involved, we have decided to move in a different direction.
Jagr dragging his feet making a decision and sending mixed signals, and a team deciding they need to move on because of the delay and mixed signals? Sound familiar Jagr chases $$$$.... Many would tell you there's nothing wrong with that, that's his decision to make, not my business.... But let's not believe for a minute that he makes his decisions based on personal loyalty to any organization....

Last edited by wolfgaze: 09-30-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Old
09-30-2011, 12:41 PM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I know it's fun to make Sather look like the bad guy, but he's absolutely right in this respect... Jagr and his Agent know how the business works... They knew this was time sensitive... If Jagr was serious about rejoining the Rangers that year, they would have put forth an earnest and honest effort to hammer out a deal before July 1st UFA frenzy, because the Rangers absolutely needed to know what his intentions were..... If Sather had no intention to re-sign Jagr, why would he state they were waiting for a call from his agent???? Do you honestly believe that Sather thought Markus Naslund was a better option than Jaromir Jagr? If Jagr was so intent on remaining in the NHL, why didn't he sign with another NHL team that summer? Why did he spend 3 seasons in the KHL if his intentions were to stay in the NHL?
Let's take a step back for a moment. Jagr was the captain. Jagr was unquestionably the best player on the team. Jagr was making $8.4M per season going into UFA. Why is he supposed to reach out to Sather to work out a deal. He's a UFA afterall. If Sather wants him, he knows where to reach him.

Now let's also look at the circustances of the time. Sather blew 14.5M of his cap on two inferior players in the previous offseason. The Rangers had a huge need for an offensive dman that needed to be filled so money was going to spent there also. Now tell me, where was the money going to come from to sign Jagr? Naslunds $4M was not going to cover it. Jagr was the best player on the team. He deserved to be paid like it and he knew it.

Sather made his bed the previous off season. Jagr was never really in the plans for 08 and beyond.

Old
09-30-2011, 12:46 PM
NikC

Wolfgaze as always... truth without pretension!

Jagr was always one of my favorite non rangers, and i thought he was a great ranger. I soured on the guy his last year with us. I didn't like the way he conducted himself, felt he held back. That's my opinion, but that doesn't mean i hate the guy.

His M.O. is to leave on bad terms with teams. He's either going to great with philly or not. I don't see any in-between. It could get ugly quick if he doesn't get along with Laviolette.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 12:53 PM
NikC

Quote:
Let's take a step back for a moment. Jagr was the captain. Jagr was unquestionably the best player on the team. Jagr was making $8.4M per season going into UFA. Why is he supposed to reach out to Sather to work out a deal. He's a UFA afterall. If Sather wants him, he knows where to reach him.

Now let's also look at the circustances of the time. Sather blew 14.5M of his cap on two inferior players in the previous offseason. The Rangers had a huge need for an offensive dman that needed to be filled so money was going to spent there also. Now tell me, where was the money going to come from to sign Jagr? Naslunds $4M was not going to cover it. Jagr was the best player on the team. He deserved to be paid like it and he knew it.

Sather made his bed the previous off season. Jagr was never really in the plans for 08 and beyond.
Are you forgetting that Nylander was the impetus in all of this? Had he not demanded 5yrs 4-5m per we wouldn't have pursued Gomez.

Sather had plans to get Drury , but now he was in the market for 2 top line centers. Call the "inferior" all you want, but their market value at the time was $5m each. This is very overblown. They were each overpaid $2m.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 12:59 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Did you even bother to read the information I posted? Sather called him on the Thursday prior to July 1st and Jagr and his agent never contacted him back to begin serious contract negotiations before July 1st.... Does that sound like the actions of a player who is intent on re-signing with the Rangers? Sather absolutely did reach out to Jagr.... And what does his previous salary, that the Washington Capitals had negotiated and determined pre-lockout, have anything to do with how contract negotiations play out in the context of the business of the league?

Quote:
There was sufficient room to re-sign Jagr... Did you crunch the cap numbers? Did you look at his previous season's production? He was 36 years old and coming off of his worst offensive production of his career... Did you actually think he was going to get another $8 mil contact offer? Did you bother to answer any of my questions I posed? Why didn't Jagr sign with another NHL team if he didn't' want to re-sign with the Rangers? Why did he stay 3 seasons in the KHL if he wanted to remain in the NHL? It's pretty obvious that his actions speak louder than words... There was zero reports of him negotiating with other NHL teams that summer.... He was KHL bound from the get go.

Quote:
So Jagr wasn't in the plans but Sather is calling him on the phone prior to July 1st, waiting for contact from his Agent, and then taking the courtesy to contact him personally to let him know the Rangers had no option but to move on after they failed to initiate substantial contract negotiations... Does that really sound to you like a GM who had no plans for Jagr for '08 and beyond? Why make those actions when he could have just informed Jagr the day our season ended, that they were not interested in a new contract?

Last edited by wolfgaze: 09-30-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Old
09-30-2011, 02:28 PM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Did you even bother to read the information I posted? Sather called him on the Thursday prior to July 1st and Jagr and his agent never contacted him back to begin serious contract negotiations before July 1st.... Does that sound like the actions of a player who is intent on re-signing with the Rangers? Sather absolutely did reach out to Jagr.... And what does his previous salary, that the Washington Capitals had negotiated and determined pre-lockout, have anything to do with how contract negotiations play out in the context of the business of the league?
Wow, he called his best skater & captain a few days before July 1st and then patiently waited to throw money at Redden. Whoopy. He really sounds like he bent over backwards to bring him back in that article. Infer what you want about Jagr's intentions, but it was Sather who made the decision to move on.

And the previous salary definitely plays a role. See Jeter's situation if you don't think so.

Quote:
There was sufficient room to re-sign Jagr... Did you crunch the cap numbers? Did you look at his previous season's production? He was 36 years old and coming off of his worst offensive production of his career... Did you actually think he was going to get another $8 mil contact offer? Did you bother to answer any of my questions I posed? Why didn't Jagr sign with another NHL team if he didn't' want to re-sign with the Rangers? Why did he stay 3 seasons in the KHL if he wanted to remain in the NHL? It's pretty obvious that his actions speak louder than words... There was zero reports of him negotiating with other NHL teams that summer.... He was KHL bound from the get go.
Actually I did crunch the #s and I've come to same thought as Jagr apparently did,
"With the contracts for Scotty, Dru and Hank [Henrik Lundqvist], and then signing [Wade] Redden, they have almost $30M in four players, so there wasn't enough for me after that," Jagr said. "The Rangers wanted to get better on defense and they spent a lot of money on Redden.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...7cm2JPPFODoZfO

Suppose Jagr would have signed for 7M over 2 years. That's about 35M invested in 5 players (Redden 6.5, Gomez 7.5, Drury 7, & Lund 7). 60% of the cap. That's assuming they don't re-sign Roszi. Now, if they had kept Tyutin, they'd need to sign another top 6 winger to replace the non acquisition of Zherdev. If they do trade Tyutin, now they have to sign another top 4 d-man. These moves cost money.

Plus, I believe Dubinsky & Callahan were impending RFA's at the end of the season & we had a cap penalty going in of $750K or so.

It simply doesn't work.

And I'm not going to answer your other questions because they don't matter. If the Rangers couldn't re-sign Jagr, who cares why he didnt sign with another team or why he stayed for 3 years in the KHL.

Quote:
So Jagr wasn't in the plans but Sather is calling him on the phone prior to July 1st, waiting for contact from his Agent, and then taking the courtesy to contact him personally to let him know the Rangers had no option but to move on after they failed to initiate substantial contract negotiations... Does that really sound to you like a GM who had no plans for Jagr for '08 and beyond? Why make those actions when he could have just informed Jagr the day our season ended, that they were not interested in a new contract?
Why not go through the courtesy? Jagr was the captain. He left on good terms. He was well liked by the coaching staff & played his heart out in the playoffs. Of course Sather wants Jagr back, but it simply wasn't possible. The money was not there for him because Sather had already committed it elsewhere.

Sather called him to 1. Not look like the bad guy for letting a very popular player go because of his own mistakes, and 2. Put the feeler out there. If Jagr would have been willing to sign for cheap, then certainly they'd have kept him around...but we all know that wasn't going to happen.