Notices

Rookie Camp / 2011 Young Stars Tournament

Old
09-15-2011, 09:15 PM
jetkarma

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie View Post
I agree with everything you and Chevy said. Its just too early to make any definitive statements about where he will end up. It will be very difficult to make the team this year but if he earns a spot he earns a spot.
Hey , and I agree with you as well.

This is what a well known , former NHL player who has a player development background as well told me , an underage player should be in the top third of your team , if not he should play at a lower level. I agree with him also.

I doubt Scheifele is at that level yet , but will be , and I think his future and the Jets future will be better served by him playing in Barrie , the World Jrs . and to really develop his offensive game specifically.

But no doors closed to be sure.

jetkarma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 09:57 PM
Stump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
I don't really agree with this at all.

First of all, he isn't good enough right now to beat out the likes of Antropov or Burmistrov anyways. Remember, this tournament was against other prospects, mostly kids that he has been facing already.

Second, a very young rookie playing bottom 6 minutes is not a bad thing. Kane played third line minutes in his first year and it has definitely benefited his 2-way game. Burmistrov played 4th line minutes last year and it has showcased his defensive game very well. Both of them were in the NHL very early, but they were eased into the games and were not just thrown to the wolves.

The only way Mark could possibly make the team would be on the 3rd or 4th line, but the 3rd line is likely Wellwoods spot and the 4th line would be more effective with Slater. RW really isn't an option because we have Wheeler, Antropov, Fehr, and Thorburn who are all better suited for their spots.

If it wasn't for Wellwood, having Scheifele on the 3rd line would not be a bad thing because of his solid two-way game. He would also have some solid line-mates(at least at RW).

I guess this is all kinda irrelevant since he likely won't be on the team. lol
@Duke49

A little OT...

What is it like still following your old team now that things are unfolding more (draft, new city, new jerseys, new staff, all these new posters at HF)? Must feel a bit weird?

FWIW, I'm glad a bunch of you guys are following the team north, your insights into the players is helpful as me and others are getting to know them.

Stump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 10:16 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stump View Post
@Duke49

A little OT...

What is it like still following your old team now that things are unfolding more (draft, new city, new jerseys, new staff, all these new posters at HF)? Must feel a bit weird?

FWIW, I'm glad a bunch of you guys are following the team north, your insights into the players is helpful as me and others are getting to know them.

It's not something you can easily put into words. It's one of those situations that you have to put your emotions behind you and not think about the the kind of things that you know would get you upset. It's something that can certainly test you emotionally.

I find my situation slightly unique compared to some other Thrashers fans. See, I didn't start watching hockey till I got into high school(I'm 21 now, 3 years out). I've only been following "hardcore"(caught all but a couple of games) the last 2 seasons. Before that it was a little more casual(watched most games but 4 seasons ago I caught most of the season. The next year I didn't start watching till a month or so in. Since then i've hardly missed anything related to this team).

I guess it's because I've become so much more emotionally attached to this team and even more so, these players that I am still into the team. I also find one other thing that has kept my love of hockey and probably the direct reason I have been following hockey so closely the last 2 1/2 years, and that is(please don't laugh), playing the NHL EA series games.

I guess it's cause I play defense with my club that it has kept my love of hockey and why I study the game in a way.

I also find it kinda funny that a southerner like me has a better grasp on the game then your average hockey fan. I mean, I grew up a huge Braves, Falcons, and NASCAR fan. Baseball not so much anymore but I'm still a big football fan and a big NASCAR fan(I'm kinda obligated at this point since i've been working at AMS lately). Hockey didn't come into my life until I was 16 and I have caught on very quick. Still a ton to learn though.

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 02:53 PM
NHLFreak

man you guys are incredible fans

Jason Gregoire

Ive heard alot about him. Who would you compare him too as a player?

NHLFreak is offline   Reply With Quote