HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

*crickets* -_______-

Old
09-30-2011, 01:29 PM
Joe Cole

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Maybe not, for all we know in their mind he may just be a "fix" until youngsters like Leblanc, Bournival or Gallagher are ready.
You may be right.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 01:32 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by furry hats View Post
Yup. I felt the last couple of post-season play was a combination of luck and stellar goalie work. I'd be shocked if we make it to 8th.

Not making the playoffs won't bother me. Getting bullied does. That **** drives me crazy.
If you truly feel that way you're allowing your pride to cloud your judgment.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 01:36 PM
Forsead

With the second most ice time beside Subban and 5 hits I thought Yemelin was good he played reliable hockey IMO and showed he can bring some physicality.

Engqvist had 56 % in faceoffs if he continue to have around 55 % he is sure to make the team IMO.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 01:40 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
With the second most ice time beside Subban and 5 hits I thought Yemelin was good he played reliable hockey IMO and showed he can bring some physicality.

Engqvist had 56 % in faceoffs if he continue to have around 55 % he is sure to make the team IMO.
Enqqvist yesterday was the best non-regular players, the competion was higher and he did look like a NHL player . He did good defensive play and it's all what Martin will ask him to do this year.

he will make the team

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
Enqqvist yesterday was the best non-regular players, the competion was higher and he did look like a NHL player . He did good defensive play and it's all what Martin will ask him to do this year.

he will make the team
Agreed...I thought he looked pretty good yesterday, the best peformance since camp started as far as i'm concerned. I also think he's pretty much a lock to make the team and I think this was the plan all along.

417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 02:34 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post
Budaj needs some work at the moment, i find he is going down to quickly.
It was really the first game that everyone was playing together.
Do any of you think honestly that the same team but a little better with the addition of Cole will not be better than last year ?
I personally am not worried. The only people that seem worried are the bandwagon type fans. The true Habs fans know better.
Been a "true Habs" fan for over 30 years.

And this year's version of Martin is looking inept. I typically dont like to blame the players on the ice. They are all skilled or else they would not be skating on an NHL arena. And, players at this level have learned one thing.......to do what the coach instructs them to do........whether they agree with it or not.

That is what has looked so disastrous this preseason. I could care less what the won loss record is since it does not count. The execution is not there. Our offense looked lost. Our defense looked porous.

I do not know what Martin has been doing during the practices but this team does not looked prepared.

Yes, cue the "but we have injuries" , "but we have rookies", " but Budaj sucks" (agree with that one ) or whatever excuse that I have been reading here on a daily basis. Yet when we play other teams who are using rookies or have injuries, they look very prepared and are executing their game plan very well. The Stars, Bruins and the Bolts looked like they were in mid-season form. Meanwhile, the Habs looked like we were in the first day of practice.

I do not understand the Martin love from some on this board. He is not a great tactician nor is he a great motivator as someone mentioned earlier on this thread that the Habs looked like they checked out of the game in the 3rd Period.

Gauthier needs to encourage Martin to move along. But then again, someone needs to encourage Gauthier to move along as he was the man responsible for bringing us Budaj and keeping this team extraordinarily small compared to other teams we will face in the East.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiens1992 View Post
Anybody already missing Hamrlik?
No. We still have the slow Gill and the slowing Spacek, so personally, I am not missing the slow Hamrlik.

We were shut out last night and even if Hamrlik were on the ice for the Habs, we still would have been shut out.

Last edited by Mike8: 09-30-2011 at 02:52 PM. Reason: merge
SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 02:48 PM
TheBuriedHab

We are saving our goals for the regular season! I don't get the freak out some people are having, Maybe its because most of the games are televised this year. I don't think the play has been bad. Once the real season starts the vets will turn it on. Take a deep breath, this is one of the only times that losses mean nothing, stop acting like they count.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 02:58 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
We are saving our goals for the regular season! I don't get the freak out some people are having, Maybe its because most of the games are televised this year. I don't think the play has been bad. Once the real season starts the vets will turn it on. Take a deep breath, this is one of the only times that losses mean nothing, stop acting like they count.

Explain to me and others what you saw offensively from our team last night that got you excited and wanting to scream out that Jacques Martin is the best coach we could have and his system of offense (and defense) rocks.

Keep in mind the 3rd period offensive onslaught by the Habs also.

Old
09-30-2011, 03:04 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Explain to me and others what you saw offensively from our team last night that got you excited and wanting to scream out that Jacques Martin is the best coach we could have and his system of offense (and defense) rocks.

I don't see why you're trying to bait here. The poster you're quoting didn't mention anything about last night's game; he reiterated the common sense view that many of us hold, which is that preseason is not indicative of anything. It doesn't show that Martin is inept, which is a laughable notion in and of itself. So for you to ask the above poster to discuss last night's game when he's made it clear that he, like many others, do not place any importance on preseason is peculiar.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 03:15 PM
Krnage

We missing the Hammer !

Krnage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 03:17 PM
Boardish

I remember when we had Joe Juneau, Jan Bulis, Andreas Dackell, etc. in our team. We were really good in preseason games. Bulis was even the point leader in preseason one year.

Yeah.

Boardish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 03:18 PM
peate
Habs fan 4 life.

vCash: 2007
Jacques Martin should be gone by X-mas because the Habs are going to be overwhelmed by teams like Tampa Bay and we will see on opening night, the Leafs are going to school us in how to play offensive style hockey. We might as well face the facts, this team is going backwards.

peate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 03:38 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
We were shut out last night and even if Hamrlik were on the ice for the Habs, we still would have been shut out.
So you think adding our second best point-getter on D in the regular season and the playoffs last year for sure would not have made a difference on the score sheet? Interesting. There's no way of proving you wrong, but personally I'd think it couldn't have hurt.

For someone who's worried about the offense this year you'd think that you'd at least acknowledge the offensive contribution Hammer brought.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 03:40 PM
windycity

Agreed. We would probably only finish mid standings if we were in the AHL,hell even the ECHL

Do you think PG has thought about sending the NHL league office a letter that we intend to forfeit every game? We have no hope as it is . . .

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 03:43 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I don't see why you're trying to bait here. The poster you're quoting didn't mention anything about last night's game; he reiterated the common sense view that many of us hold, which is that preseason is not indicative of anything. It doesn't show that Martin is inept, which is a laughable notion in and of itself. So for you to ask the above poster to discuss last night's game when he's made it clear that he, like many others, do not place any importance on preseason is peculiar.
I think that is called dialogue. He said that we should all relax and everything is swell.

I disagree with that assessment and asked him to point out what was so calming about the preseason with regard to the failure (and I am not talking about winning a meaningless preseason game) for this team to show some progress. Not victories. Progress.

Two shots in the 3rd period would not be considered progress.

Old
09-30-2011, 03:52 PM
Mike8

Quote:
I think that is called dialogue.
Dialogue is a give-and-take. You didn't take in what he was saying: he said preseason doesn't matter. You asked him what about last night's preseason game made him think everything was okay. You, intentionally or not, overlooked his entire premise, which is that preseason doesn't matter. Why would someone who doesn't think preseason matters want to justify his position by discussing a preseason game? How could that possibly be a dialogue?

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 04:13 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post

I was keeping a close eye on Engqvist, he seemed to do well with defensive zone face-offs but not so much with the offensive zone fo's. I liked his play on the PK but wish he had more lower body strength, for a big framed guy you would think he would have better lower body strength, a concern for me.

I wouldn't be surprised if he made the team as he would likely spend a lot of time in the press box and he's someone that not going to hurt you out there while being solid on the PK so you know JM will like him.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 04:26 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:

Sometimes I agree with you, but this time you're way over reacting. JM tried some things in preseason to evaluate young players on the roster, he put them in positions they won't be faced with during the regular season to see how they made out. For example, DD was on the ice for 3 goals against Tampas top line, that situation will seldom occur in the regular season, if ever. If was simply a test or evaluation to push the youngsters to see what he's got. It's exactly what he should be doing in preseason, so now when fans scream DD can replace Gomez as the 2nd line center, we know they're full of poop.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 04:38 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I was keeping a close eye on Engqvist, he seemed to do well with defensive zone face-offs but not so much with the offensive zone fo's. I liked his play on the PK but wish he had more lower body strength, for a big framed guy you would think he would have better lower body strength, a concern for me.

I wouldn't be surprised if he made the team as he would likely spend a lot of time in the press box and he's someone that not going to hurt you out there while being solid on the PK so you know JM will like him.
If Engs makes the team, he'll train with the big boys. His core will be a lot stronger by virtue of learning from the vets on the team. I think White mentioned something like that a while back.. or maybe it was DD. I can't remember tbh.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 04:38 PM
Max Levine

Quote:
Been a "true Habs" fan for over 30 years.

And this year's version of Martin is looking inept. I typically dont like to blame the players on the ice. They are all skilled or else they would not be skating on an NHL arena. And, players at this level have learned one thing.......to do what the coach instructs them to do........whether they agree with it or not.

That is what has looked so disastrous this preseason. I could care less what the won loss record is since it does not count. The execution is not there. Our offense looked lost. Our defense looked porous.

I do not know what Martin has been doing during the practices but this team does not looked prepared.

Yes, cue the "but we have injuries" , "but we have rookies", " but Budaj sucks" (agree with that one ) or whatever excuse that I have been reading here on a daily basis. Yet when we play other teams who are using rookies or have injuries, they look very prepared and are executing their game plan very well. The Stars, Bruins and the Bolts looked like they were in mid-season form. Meanwhile, the Habs looked like we were in the first day of practice.

I do not understand the Martin love from some on this board. He is not a great tactician nor is he a great motivator as someone mentioned earlier on this thread that the Habs looked like they checked out of the game in the 3rd Period.

Gauthier needs to encourage Martin to move along. But then again, someone needs to encourage Gauthier to move along as he was the man responsible for bringing us Budaj and keeping this team extraordinarily small compared to other teams we will face in the East.

No. We still have the slow Gill and the slowing Spacek, so personally, I am not missing the slow Hamrlik.

With Cole and Eller, PG has given Martin a better roster and the possibility to run three good lines. With the signing of 16 defensemen ( just in case someone starts adding them up), Gauthier is telling JM to pick a couple and make it work.

The team is set and the season will start soon. It's too late and too early to complain about Gauthier. Give it at least half a season, not 1 pre-season game with a full line-up.

There are many changes I would have liked: Boucher instead of Martin, maybe Yzerman instead of Gauthier, tougher guys on the 3rd/4th line, maybe one bigger defensemen, maybe a couple of goons. But in the end, we got Martin and Gauthier and as a fan, I have no problem giving them the benefit of the doubt. And I have been a fan for more than 30 years

Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 04:55 PM
Protest the Hero

Engqvist had a solid game last night, maybe it was because I was specifically watching him play, but he made some really good defensive plays.

It was encouraging when they cut to a shot of Perry Pearn talking to Yemelin on the bench. Let's hope he understands English enough to take in the information on the bench.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 05:27 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I thought Blunden, Engqvist, Yemelin and Diaz played well-decent.

After saying how I didn't think anyone was stepping up, those two played well. I hope Palushaj is sent down. Don't want him on the team, especially in a bottom 6 role.

Hopefully we have a better outing tomorrow.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 06:09 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post

Yeah I also liked his play, but he need to use better his body perhaps it's because of his lack of strenght I don't know, but to be fully usefull he need to be more involved physically IMO.

On another note, Blunden look like the guy that some coach long ago took him apart and said to him that if he want to make the NHL he need to hit alot and since then it's the only thing he does . But seriously I like that he bring energy and don't hurt defensively, he can be a nice replacement of Moen/White/Darche on the fourth line when there is injuries.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 06:52 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Sometimes I agree with you, but this time you're way over reacting. JM tried some things in preseason to evaluate young players on the roster, he put them in positions they won't be faced with during the regular season to see how they made out. For example, DD was on the ice for 3 goals against Tampas top line, that situation will seldom occur in the regular season, if ever. If was simply a test or evaluation to push the youngsters to see what he's got. It's exactly what he should be doing in preseason, so now when fans scream DD can replace Gomez as the 2nd line center, we know they're full of poop.
My entire point is not about the players and what lines they were playing on or which lines they were playing against.

My point is about the glaring lack of preparation displayed on the ice. We were ineffective on offense and our defense was very passive and allowed the Bolts players way too many easy chances.

I dont care about preseason victories. I do expect to see improvement in the team though. Wasnt there.